Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Welp, don't know what to say about that.

BloodFeastIslandMan posted:

He's playing defense attorney, like the DAs always seem to. But police get no special privilege!!

Seriously stuff like this is why the "oh dear we need to be careful of worker's rights :ohdear:" poo poo is stupid and offensive. There are actual people being victimized and killed by the police for no good reason and corrupt prosecutors go out of their way to make sure there is no punishment but we have to worry that if police are investigated after receiving large amounts of complaints from the community there are supposed to be serving we are returning to The Jungle.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well who else will defend the police? Guns are useless against public outcry, there are only so many bullets!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, its good to see that bringing in a suspect alive only applies to white people. Everyone else can get shot through the passenger window of the patrol car with nary a warning.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well "he looked older" -totally not racist reasoning given by a lawyer in employment by a government for why a 12 year old is dangerous to an adult cop.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Well "he looked older" -totally not racist reasoning given by a lawyer in employment by a government for why a 12 year old is dangerous to an adult cop.

Obviously if you are black, if you look older apprehend the suspect is out the window. Shoot to kill.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Grand Jury is the new method they'll use to get away with misconduct and murder. It lets the defense run the entire narrative in a format where they usually get little to no input, and if they somehow miraculously lose and get charges filed, they get another chance to defend with stories of their brave heroism to a real jury.

Remember though, as asserted in the last thread: cops are subject to the exact same legal process as the rest of us.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like even IF this was a 25 year old man walking down the street with a real, loaded gun, how can you possibly argue that rolling up and executing him is legal??? It's actually saying that cops can murder literally anyone as long as they say "I felt threatened" regardless of what actually happened like in that season 1 Southpark episode.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Grand Jury is the new method they'll use to get away with misconduct and murder. It lets the defense run the entire narrative in a format where they usually get little to no input, and if they somehow miraculously lose and get charges filed, they get another chance to defend with stories of their brave heroism to a real jury.

Remember though, as asserted in the last thread: cops are subject to the exact same legal process as the rest of us.

Um the justice system says that these murders by cops are fine and as we all know from reading these threads, reality is based on what the legal system decides ergo the fact that these people were killed fairly is indisputable and cops have exactly the same legal process of everyone else. :eng101:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 28, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Radish posted:

the shoot wasn't justified and charges should be filed, but Tamir Rice was 5'7" and 195 pounds. That's well bigger than your average 12 year old whether you are white or black, so saying he looked older is pretty legitimate. It still doesn't excuse what happened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Like even IF this was a 25 year old man walking down the street with a real, loaded gun, how can you possibly argue that rolling up and executing him is legal??? It's actually saying that cops can murder literally anyone as long as they say "I felt threatened" regardless of what actually happened like in that season 1 Southpark episode.

Especially considering they love playing up the 'We apprehended an armed suspect without incident' card all the time, unless they are black and then suddenly 'My life was in danger'

Cole posted:

the shoot wasn't justified and charges should be filed, but Tamir Rice was 5'7" and 195 pounds. That's well bigger than your average 12 year old whether you are white or black, so saying he looked older is pretty legitimate. It still doesn't excuse what happened.

In the context of their argument, it doesn't matter.

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

Radish posted:

Um the justice system says that these murders by cops are fine and as we all know from reading these threads, reality is based on what the legal system decides ergo the fact that these people were killed fairly is indisputable and cops have exactly the same legal process of everyone else. :eng101:

It's unreal that people can claim that with a straight face. In Georgia, police have full access to grand jury proceedings, can have a lawyer present and are allowed to make an unrebutted statement to the grand jury. But they're just like us

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Like 80% of these national outrage cases this one is a lot more reasonable when you arent getting emotional and imagining an ideal scenario where they, a supercop forums user would have made the right call, no problem.

As a clevelander: "Suck it, Debate and discussion, your tears make me immortal".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

As a clevelander: "Suck it, Debate and discussion, your tears make me immortal"

Drive Up Police Executions: approved by MattD1zzl3

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

Prosecutors are now telling reporters that #TamirRice wore size 36 pants, as evidence that he looked older than his 12 years.

:goku:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

if he looked older that just means he was executed for practicing his 2nd amendment rights, the nra will be all over this one

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wish they'd just own it instead of insulting our intelligence with this "he was big and scary" poo poo every time.

Zas posted:

if he looked older that just means he was executed for practicing his 2nd amendment rights, the nra will be all over this one

Yeah if he was "older" then why was he killed for holding a gun in an open carry state? I wonder why the prosecutor who was certainly acting in good faith did not ask this question.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 28, 2015

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Imho, if there is no justice, then there should be no peace.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zas posted:

You can only open carry when you are white. You know that.

quote:

Prosecutor in Rice case now saying:

"He appeared to be much older than he really was...5"7, 170 lbs, size 12 shoes, XL men's jacket."

LOOK HOW OLD HE LOOKED! He had to die!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's sad the "check" on this sort of thing is the voting populace who the majority of aren't subject to random police executions.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

You can only open carry when you are white. You know that.

LOOK HOW OLD HE LOOKED! He had to die!

you mean... the nra is a white supremacist organization??? I guess we can't trust anyone these days

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?
"This frame clearly shows that the officer deposited approx. 1 lb of poo poo in his diaper just before shooting, demonstrating that his fear was reasonable"

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Looking older/bigger has always been the mantra for racists. Mike "Charging Bull" Brown and Trayvon Martin's picture comparisons.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

im gay posted:

Looking older/bigger has always been the mantra for racists. Mike "Charging Bull" Brown and Trayvon Martin's picture comparisons.

If I told you someone was 5'7" and 195 pounds, what age would you guess they are?

This is a bad hill to climb atop of to discredit the officer when there are literally 100s of other valid reasons he can be discredited.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are black people going to riot about this?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Cole posted:

If I told you someone was 5'7" and 195 pounds, what age would you guess they are?

This is a bad hill to climb atop of to discredit the officer when there are literally 100s of other valid reasons he can be discredited.

his weight and apparent age is entirely immaterial as to whether he deserved to be the victim of a police drive by, meaning the prosecuter had no reason to bring it up, hope this helps

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cole posted:

It's you. You are the racist.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zas posted:

his weight and apparent age is entirely immaterial as to whether he deserved to be the victim of a police drive by, hope this helps

Right, but at the same time if you were pushing for charges against him and your argument was "he couldn't have possibly looked older" then it is no wonder the officer isn't getting charged, hope this helps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zas posted:

his weight and apparent age is entirely immaterial as to whether he deserved to be the victim of a police drive by, meaning the prosecuter had no reason to bring it up, hope this helps

I look forward to the future of police work this trend sets:

"Random black driver shot during commute because he was probably fleeing police. Let his death serve as a warning to other commuters to obey traffic laws."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Are black people going to riot about this?
I'd hope more than black. I don't see anything forming downtown yet though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'd hope more than black. I don't see anything forming downtown yet though.

White people participating wouldn't be helpful.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cole posted:

I get what you're saying, but the point here is that even if the kid turned green and cracked the earth with fists the size of garbage cans, is funny how this detail comes out NOW, when we've had literally a year to review that footage.

That's before we even get into "why the gently caress did you roll up into melee range if you were that scared of him". It's a cop out lie, pure and simple.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

White people participating wouldn't be helpful.
:allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tamir's alleged hugeness is a stupid red herring. (btw this is him in his Hulked out glory)

THIS PERSON IS BIG seems like a really dangerous precedent for summary extrajudicial executions but I'm not a prosecutor so what do I know?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cole posted:

Right, but at the same time if you were pushing for charges against him and your argument was "he couldn't have possibly looked older" then it is no wonder the officer isn't getting charged, hope this helps.

It doesn't help because his apparent age is 100 percent irrelevant to whether he deserved to be executed for having a pellet gun in an open carry state.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MariusLecter posted:

It's you. You are the racist.

No, I think Tamir Rice is dead for no reason and the cop should be charged.

However, if you honestly think harping on "HE SAID HE LOOKED OLDER WHAT A MORON!!!" when the victim was the almost the size of a fully grown American male, regardless of race, you are not doing much to help the case against the officer, because someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds definitely looks older than 12 years old.

The point is there are many, MANY reasons why this shooting was unjustified, but everyone is focused on the one that holds the least amount of credibility. Tamir Rice looked older than 12 years old based on his size, and you are just grasping at straws to think otherwise.

And if someone was looking to file charges, harping on Tamir Rice not possibly looking older than 12 years old would not hold up in court.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

A Fancy Bloke posted:

It doesn't help because his apparent age is 100 percent irrelevant to whether he deserved to be executed for having a pellet gun in an open carry state.

You're right, but look at everyone else's posts, not just mine. People in here are harping on how he couldn't have possibly looked older than 12 years old. I'm not the one who brought this up, it has been very prominent in this thread. I just wish this thread would pick a better stance on the subject rather than the single argument that can be justifiable from the cop's point of view.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Radish posted:

Tamir's alleged hugeness is a stupid red herring. (btw this is him in his Hulked out glory)

drat look at this hardened thug

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cole posted:

You're right, but look at everyone else's posts, not just mine. People in here are harping on how he couldn't have possibly looked older than 12 years old. I'm not the one who brought this up, it has been very prominent in this thread.

Mainly because it's complete bullshit, and a dog whistle to boot.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's a bit disappointing that Obama hasn't done more considering his race...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

No, I think Tamir Rice is dead for no reason and the cop should be charged.

However, if you honestly think harping on "HE SAID HE LOOKED OLDER WHAT A MORON!!!" when the victim was the almost the size of a fully grown American male, regardless of race, you are not doing much to help the case against the officer, because someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds definitely looks older than 12 years old.

The point is there are many, MANY reasons why this shooting was unjustified, but everyone is focused on the one that holds the least amount of credibility. Tamir Rice looked older than 12 years old based on his size, and you are just grasping at straws to think otherwise.

And if someone was looking to file charges, harping on Tamir Rice not possibly looking older than 12 years old would not hold up in court.

Just stop. Apparently the prosecution thought it was enough of a deal to bring it up as a way to defend their officers. And its a stupid one at that, even if he DID look that old.

Its a red herring either way, and you don't need to defend a freaking red-herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Mainly because it's complete bullshit, and a dog whistle to boot.

Saying that someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds looks older than 12 years old is dog whistle racism?

How big are the 12 year olds around where you live?

• Locked thread