Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was Valhalla Mad just a four issue miniseries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Can I pretend X-Men: Deadly Genesis doesn't exist? Because that recon was blah.

Sort of yes, sort of no. It's a v. silly story, but a good deal of stuff references (elements of) it later, like Darwin and Vulcan. More than that, Deadly Genesis (alongside the Son of M minis) helps set the tone of the post-House of M X-line, where you aren't expected to endorse the characters' choices, or even necessarily like the characters—just enjoy the exploration of decision and boldface Impact font CONSEQUENCES. The decade of siege mentality Rightclops, multiple X-Force murder squads, and time kidnapper Beast begins in earnest with this re-jerkening of Professor X.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

It led up to the cosmic stuff, so even though Bru's time on X-Men wasn't great, no you can't!

OK dad. :(

Squizzle posted:

Sort of yes, sort of no. It's a v. silly story, but a good deal of stuff references (elements of) it later, like Darwin and Vulcan. More than that, Deadly Genesis (alongside the Son of M minis) helps set the tone of the post-House of M X-line, where you aren't expected to endorse the characters' choices, or even necessarily like the characters—just enjoy the exploration of decision and boldface Impact font CONSEQUENCES. The decade of siege mentality Rightclops, multiple X-Force murder squads, and time kidnapper Beast begins in earnest with this re-jerkening of Professor X.

Cyclops and Prof. X really are jerks aren't they.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

OK dad. :(

Yeah, but a jerk who can read and control minds and has no sense of academic ethics is inherently more jerkish than a jerk with a kevlar body condom and a gun for a face who is also right.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Squizzle posted:

Never considered that before, but I think you are spot on.

Ultragonk posted:

CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT dammit

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Squizzle posted:

Yeah, but a jerk who can read and control minds and has no sense of academic ethics is inherently more jerkish than a jerk with a kevlar body condom and a gun for a face who is also right.

Plus a lot of really fit women seem to want Cyclop's wang.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Plus a lot of really fit women seem to want Cyclop's wang.

Telepaths have a natural affinity for a person who is so incredibly right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Squizzle posted:

Telepaths have a natural affinity for a person who is so incredibly right.

Is this stuff about Scott being right from Avengers v X-Men? I should get around to reading that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are everyone's thought on Planet Hulk? Worth reading? I haven't read much Hulk but used to love him when I was a kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ultragonk posted:

What are everyone's thought on Planet Hulk? Worth reading? I haven't read much Hulk but used to love him when I was a kid.

Easily among the best Hulk stories. A shame that the follow up, World War Hulk isn't nearly as good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Easily among the best Hulk stories. A shame that the follow up, World War Hulk isn't nearly as good.

Cool. I liked the movie they did of it so I was hoping the comic version was great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just read Forever Evil (and it's the most recent thing from DC I've read) and I was wondering if a few things have been touched on yet/ever. IIRC, this all was in continuity, but I don't know if any of this would still remain after Cataclysm/Whatever Crisis/Darkseid War

Is the Owlman from this story (Earth 3?) the same guy from Court of Owls? Is he still around in any shape or form?
Did Super Woman have the baby?
Is Ultraman still locked up somewhere?
Has the Power Ring ring found a new host yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Is this stuff about Scott being right from Avengers v X-Men? I should get around to reading that.

Yes, but don't it's bad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It comes from Scott being right about everything, unironically.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WickedHate posted:

It comes from Scott being right about everything, unironically.

It's true but that is mostly because everyone is really dumb more than him being smart.

Plus he tried to smother the Inhumans in the crib, and I respect that.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ultragonk posted:

Cool. I liked the movie they did of it so I was hoping the comic version was great.

Definitely read the comic. The movie glosses over cool plot points due to time constraints, and the comic art is significantly better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
From what I remember...

CzarChasm posted:

Is the Owlman from this story (Earth 3?) the same guy from Court of Owls? Is he still around in any shape or form?
You mean, like, the Talon? Different guys.
Talon had his own thing going for a while but I've honestly dropped that thread.

quote:

Did Super Woman have the baby?
She was pretty pregnant when Darkseid War kicked off a while back. I havent kept up with DSwar because holy gently caress why is that not over yet, but i think theyre building up the pregnancy as A Thing.

quote:

Is Ultraman still locked up somewhere?
He was rambling about how They had led Him right to this universe last I saw. Just some buildup to make you realize the AntiMonitor kicked their poo poo in and destroyed their homeworld.

quote:

Has the Power Ring ring found a new host yet?
VOLTHOOM found a girl, Jessica Cruz -- which I think is the same one mentioned in one of those End-of-Johns GL stories as being The Most Important Ring Bearer in (exactly the last time someone was The Most Important).

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 29, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CharlestheHammer posted:

Plus he tried to smother the Inhumans in the crib, and I respect that.

Wait, what?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What's the status of Marvel's mutants these days? I know the T-mist has made them sterile or something but are there lots and lots and lots of them again or for some reason are there now only 50 or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I only tried to read Extraordinary X-Men cause of my boy Jeff Lemire, but he broke my heart with that crap and I quit it after two issues so this is all wrong but here ya go..
The X-kids are still around, Wolverine is still a statue (I think), Old Man Logan Wolverine popped over from Secret Wars and is buddies with young Jean, Storm leads the X-School and they live in Limbo
Then I gave up on Extraordinary X-Men, but glazing over spoilery things, it's something like regular Scott Summers went off against the Inhumans and 'died' some time in the eight month gap between the Secret Wars incursion and ANAD, but Mr Sinister has actually been experimenting on him, pumping him full of T-gas and now he's an Inhuman mutant combo monster that can grow scales or something.

The two Inhumans books are real good X-Men substitutes right now :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 29, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I only tried to read Extraordinary X-Men cause of my boy Jeff Lemire, but he broke my heart with that crap and I quit it after two issues so this is all wrong but here ya go..
The X-kids are still around, Wolverine is still a statue (I think), Old Man Logan Wolverine popped over from Secret Wars and is buddies with young Jean, Storm leads the X-School and they live in Limbo
Then I gave up on Extraordinary X-Men, but glazing over spoilery things, it's something like regular Scott Summers went off against the Inhumans and 'died' some time in the eight month gap between the Secret Wars incursion and ANAD, but Mr Sinister has actually been experimenting on him, pumping him full of T-gas and now he's an Inhuman mutant combo monster that can grow scales or something.

The two Inhumans books are real good X-Men substitutes right now :)

So are there lots and lots of mutants right now or are we still in the post M day under 200 mutants population?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Extraordinary X-Men feels like a good writer saddled with a really lousy premise.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

So are there lots and lots of mutants right now or are we still in the post M day under 200 mutants population?

I don't think they've ever said how many there are, but new mutants are able to be born after the events of AvX. They're not limited to 200, but there also hasn't been time to repopulate the millions that there used to be. Also, a lot of them are dying because of Terrigen.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the Terrigen is preventing new mutants from being born. That's a recent enough development that I'm not sure they've said yet.

Super Dan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 29, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They are just throwing around "Sterile" but that could mean that mutants can't have children but humans can still produce mutants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not even a guarantee that a mutant couple will have a mutant child, so whatever.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I think I've seen Storm or somebody explain "sterile" as people whose X-gene should be activating but isn't. But I dunno.

What I'm wondering is, what the hell is M-Pox? Do stupid people just think the Terrigen's effects on mutants is somehow contagious?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That seems to be the long and short of it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I wouldn't be a fan of the constantly pissing on mutants stuff no matter what, but the fact that it's being done out of blatant spite because Fox has the movie rights just kicks the whole thing past distasteful and into "ok, gently caress you too then" for me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

I wouldn't be a fan of the constantly pissing on mutants stuff no matter what, but the fact that it's being done out of blatant spite because Fox has the movie rights just kicks the whole thing past distasteful and into "ok, gently caress you too then" for me.

I was reading comics in the '80s and early '90s when mutants were top of the food chain and you couldn't get away from them, so I'm okay with their getting poo poo on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It's not even a guarantee that a mutant couple will have a mutant child, so whatever.

Like Graydon Creed!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Really? Is that a thing? Seems a bit petty.

Also thanks everyone, it has been fun getting back into comics and you've all been really helpful.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They'll deny the hell out of it, but yeah. Any new mutants created go straight to Fox and the movies are where the real money is now so there's no incentive for Marvel to put too much effort into the X-Men nowadays. They're still very popular so they're not going to just stop publishing them like they did with Fantastic Four.

Unlike the Spider-Man deal at Sony, Fox gets all the merchandise money too, which is why there's been no X-Men toys or anything for years. There's finally an X-Men marvel legends line coming out in 2016 and toy nerds are freaking out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Ultragonk posted:

Really? Is that a thing? Seems a bit petty.

Also thanks everyone, it has been fun getting back into comics and you've all been really helpful.

No it's not a thing, mutants get poo poo on because that's their job as a nebulous minority stand in, being repressed and always near extinction to keep the theme alive.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I thought the thing was less making GBS threads on mutants and more making the Inhuman's the new "mutants" (ie popular superhero franchise like X-Men used to be) because Marvel can put inhumans in their movies but not mutants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure they want to avoid the Quicksilver situation ever happening again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

They'll deny the hell out of it, but yeah. Any new mutants created go straight to Fox and the movies are where the real money is now so there's no incentive for Marvel to put too much effort into the X-Men nowadays. They're still very popular so they're not going to just stop publishing them like they did with Fantastic Four.

Unlike the Spider-Man deal at Sony, Fox gets all the merchandise money too, which is why there's been no X-Men toys or anything for years. There's finally an X-Men marvel legends line coming out in 2016 and toy nerds are freaking out.

I doubt very much they get merchandise money from the comic characters, just their movie counterparts. If they got all merchandise rights that would be crazy and a horrible contract.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

It can't be all of it, or there would be no X-Men merchandise ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not all but it was indeed 100% of film inspired toys. And something like 40% of non film merch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel has the actual control over toys though, right? That's why there hasn't been any movie merchandise?

Or are they just strong arming Mattel, Hasbro etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel has the actual control over toys though, right? That's why there hasn't been any movie merchandise?

Or are they just strong arming Mattel, Hasbro etc.?

Correct, Fox can not just create a toy line without Marvel.