Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm using this movies derail to reiterate that Mad Max was both the best action movie (and I say that having really liked The Force Awakens, valid criticisms and all) and possibly the best overall movie out this year and if you haven't seen it yet go buy/rent that poo poo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mad Max was sweet but I give Spotlight a slight edge. Sicario for best cinematography.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spotlight and Concussion were both great Oscar bait movies. Will Smith remembered how to act again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

I'm using this movies derail to reiterate that Mad Max was both the best action movie (and I say that having really liked The Force Awakens, valid criticisms and all) and possibly the best overall movie out this year and if you haven't seen it yet go buy/rent that poo poo right now.

This post is bullshit.

There's no possibly about it

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
You're right but I'm refusing to remove the 'possibly' just to make you mad.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

You should add more 'possibly's, that will really set him off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hcreight posted:

You're right but I'm refusing to remove the 'possibly' just to make you mad.

WITNESS HIM!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am the furious man

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Mad Max: Fury Road is the best movie to come out this year, but drat if The Hateful Eight isn't giving it a run for the money in my mind.

Sleeper pick of the year? Spy.

TV chat - wow, this is a dead time of year for television, isn't it? Seems people are more likely to go to the movies than watch television.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Spotlight was pretty loving good. but what about beasts of no nation

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

corn in the bible posted:

Spotlight was pretty loving good. but what about beasts of no nation

I remember it being alright but not much more than that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

Spotlight and Concussion were both great Oscar bait movies. Will Smith remembered how to act again.

Spotlight played it low key imo. There were no "hey look at me i'm acting" scenes in oscar baits.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

There were no "hey look at me i'm acting" scenes

Actually Ruffalo and Keaton did just that for the entire length of the movie

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ruffalo raises his voice in one scene and that's it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Just finished up Bloodline on Netflix and it might be one of my favorite shows of the entire year. It's slow going but it just builds and builds to an amazing climax. Ben Mendelsohn is outstanding in it. I'm a little iffy on how season 2 will work.

I'm sad at how little attention it got, it seems like it just sorta got buried by the two Marvel shows this year in terms of viability but I HIGHLY recommend checking it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My dad and I were both really into Person of Interest when it aired but never managed to sell my brother on it. He's started watching it on Netflix and it's a hoot to re-watch it vicariously through him. A mix of "yeah that was cool," "I don't know if I can mention [X] around him yet, but I need to make a note of this thing he noticed for later," and "wait, all that happened in season ONE?"

Seriously, he just finished the season one finale and I could have SWORN some of those plotlines didn't happen until season three or so, much less have them all going at the same time. Brother counted about seven different factions in that episode, and the only reason it stayed coherent was because they could mostly be divided along "catch Reese/help Reese" lines. I'm going to have to watch the series again. This is not a bad thing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

As a fellow rear end in a top hat who didn't like Star Wars 7 or Jurrassic Park 4 I too really liked Mad Max 4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mad Max ended up being a bit disappointing for me. It was good, but not close to the hype it was (and still is) getting. I probably would have liked it a lot more going in blind.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Tripped is pretty good.

As is the 100 Eyes Marco Polo episode.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
man spider man 3 on television, goddamn, who thought Evil Peter Parker was cool. my suspension of disbelief is torn apart by this haircut.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 28, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out I was wrong about that Legends thing tonight, actually they're airing three episodes in a row and going into the 11/10 slot which I don't think TNT has ever done before. They must really want if off the air.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Aphrodite posted:

Mad Max ended up being a bit disappointing for me. It was good, but not close to the hype it was (and still is) getting. I probably would have liked it a lot more going in blind.

I don't think I get this mindset. Does prior knowledge really affect your viewing experience so much? I also don't give a poo poo about spoilers though so maybe I'm the weird one.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

man spider man 3 on television, goddamn, who thought Evil Peter Parker was cool. my suspension of disbelief is torn apart by this haircut.

Literally only Evil Peter Parker thinks Evil Peter Parker is cool. Those are comedy sequences.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't think I get this mindset. Does prior knowledge really affect your viewing experience so much? I also don't give a poo poo about spoilers though so maybe I'm the weird one.

I mean, there's a ceiling on how much it can affect it I think (at some point you just either like something or don't), but my reaction to a movie/TV show/piece of music/etc. is definitely influenced by my expectations, and "hype" is all about building up expectations. If someone tells you "This action scene is incredible!" or "This gag is hilarious!" and then it ends up being good-but-not-great, there's a sense of disappointment that wouldn't be present if there was no hype.

I thought Mad Max was pretty good as well, but I agree that it is a bit overhyped here and elsewhere.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CobiWann posted:

Sleeper pick of the year? Spy.

Spy was really really good. I also really enjoyed The Man From U.N.C.L.E., though because of the setting, characters, and action it really felt like I was watching a less aggressively Japanese Metal Gear Solid cutscene movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mad Max for me is just the perfect action movie because it's economical as gently caress and cuts out any possible bullshit while also being an insanely well-realised world in every way (as well as incredibly exciting and well-edited). The fact it's also a covert feminist art movie (a gross simplification, but still) definitely helps too.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Are we just going to drive 'strong' (which means 'punches people' these days for some reason, see Mad Max, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Divergent, X-men, Avengers) female characters into the ground? Is it because action movies are the de facto supreme form of entertainment? Theres good art about strong and weak people of either sex. It seems to me that strong women have been a staple of dramas for decades, but nobody has cared much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm watching the pilot for Second Chance and I'm liking it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Fooz posted:

Are we just going to drive 'strong' (which means 'punches people' these days for some reason, see Mad Max, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Divergent, X-men, Avengers) female characters into the ground? Is it because action movies are the de facto supreme form of entertainment? Theres good art about strong and weak people of either sex. It seems to me that strong women have been a staple of dramas for decades, but nobody has cared much.

It was really funny when people tried to hold Mad Max only being second at the box office as some sort of travesty against gender equality...when the movie that beat it was Pitch Perfect 2, a movie written and directed by women.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I watched the pilot for The Colony and I just can't care. We don't touch on the wall, where it came from, how long it took to build, or anything? I know that isn't the point and the show's about 'how would a family cope in this situation?' But maybe focus on the elephant in the room for like a second. I was way more interested in the sketchy guy's smuggling scheme than anything the main characters had going on. I felt like the hook is way too similar to Childhood's End with an advanced force tellin' us how it's going to be now, but way clunkier. And zero hints as to what the force actually is. Super advanced people from the future? Aliens? Purgatory(lol)? Seems like something that also maybe should have been hinted at or foreshadowed. Also the reveal at the end was super lame and fell flat for me.

Basically I felt like I watched the first half of a 2 part premiere. Is that what happened? Was it a 2 parter?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

It was really funny when people tried to hold Mad Max only being second at the box office as some sort of travesty against gender equality...when the movie that beat it was Pitch Perfect 2, a movie written and directed by women.

I am one hundred percent certain you just made that up right now

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I don't know what kind of voodoo magic 12 Monkeys is employing to make Katarina (65 years old IRL) look 35 years younger in the 12th episode but it is absolutely mindblowing. Might be the most impressive de-aging job I have ever seen in a movie or TV show. If this doesn't win all the Emmys for best make-up/effects/hair etc. they'd be robbed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think part of it is how they cover every little bit of her up except for the face. Also, lady looks pretty good for her age to begin with.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Escobarbarian posted:

I am one hundred percent certain you just made that up right now

Obviously you never read the Fury Road thread.

You made the right choice.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Fury Road is a very good movie but it doesn't have a whole lot of plot.

Spotlight is the best movie I've seen so far this year but it hits drat close to home so it might influence me (not me personally but I know people that where abused)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mad Max was a very good movie but it had issues, issues that it shares with Star Wars actually(wait who is in power, why, that doesn't make any sense [these aren't really spoilers ok]) but also issues on top of that that make no sense, and Star Wars was better otherwise while Mad Max didn't make you question those issues as much Star Wars had actual characters.

Also perfect action movie? Come the gently caress on, Die Hard perfected that decades ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

OK gramps.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I thought John Wick was the best action movie I've seen in ages. Not much messing around with plot or setting, just Keanu with a headshot hack chasing after the lowliest Reek.

I haven't seen the new Star Wars yet though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Die Hard has some issues.

The scene where Willis throws the body onto the cop's car is confusing. It looks like Willis is shooting the machine gun when he says "welcome to the party, pal" when it's one of the Germans. It's clearer on the second watch but that scene is a mess.

When Hans is pretending to be American and then points the gun at Willis and cocks the hammer it looks like he tried to pull the trigger and it was blank. So the moment is spoiled when he tries to shoot for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also when Hans told his thug to shoot the glass first in his own language then in English, cause yeah like the thug wouldn't understand.

• Locked thread