Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Wouldn't, say, "Excrement of Evolution" have been closer to the source?

I have a better one.

Bret Scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Hitscum" sounds like a Counterstrike exploit.
I'm just happy the Giant/DDP feud happened in WCW rather than WWF, since the odds of him calling Paul Wight "The Big Scum" approach 100%.

DDP: Just awful at namecalling. I mean, it's hard to be good at name calling but DDP was especially bad at it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Should've called him the Scum Man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scum scumman scum

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Idiot Fucker Man

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just keep calling him Bread. It'll gnaw at him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bread Hard

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bret "Scum Man" Clark

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Blood Beat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Starrcade 1997 was 18 years ago today. How are you celebrating?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Archive binging on AE podcast.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Starrcade 1997 was 18 years ago today. How are you celebrating?

Sting is gonna beat Ric Flair clean in my WWE Universe, then he's gonna job to Fandango.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has this been posted before? It existed sometime around the year 2000, bird poo poo logo and all.

EDIT: Have a visual representation of WCW around that time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4y1wBa-SSw (4 minutes in, embedding is dumb)

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 28, 2015

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Bret "The Wrong Brother Died" Hart

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

haunted bong posted:

Bret "The Wrong Brother Died" Hart
Agreed. Bruce is such a jerk.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Yesterday was the anniversary of Starrcade 98, plus Goldberg's birthday, meaning he lost his streak and essentially his entire gimmick on his birthday

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Starrcade 98 is actually tomorrow, I don't know what you are talking about, Goldberg is winning.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If I had only one opportunity to change history I would let hitler live and I would help Goldberg win at starrcade 98

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Goldberg would approve of that decision.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

He would if Goldberg were wrestling Hitler

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We're watching Starrcade 98 right now and it led to this decision so I am reposting it here:

If you get me the two remaining WCW on QVC specials I will pay you $50.

If you get me the Hulk Hogan Inflatable Raft I will pay you $100.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRafTer posted:

We're watching Starrcade 98 right now and it led to this decision so I am reposting it here:

what're the dates on the missing QVC specials, pal

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The cake is a lie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man that was a bad show. I knew about the streak being ended but they really had no idea how to plan PPVs anymore.

It really stands out just how incredibly stupid the burial of Flair was. At least job him to someone you want to push! (Of course to do that you have to want to push someone.)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Contrast to the early Starrcades where they were building around Flair vs Race/Dusty for a year and as a result everything is that much more impactful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man that was a bad show. I knew about the streak being ended but they really had no idea how to plan PPVs anymore.

It really stands out just how incredibly stupid the burial of Flair was. At least job him to someone you want to push! (Of course to do that you have to want to push someone.)

This was when the hate between Flair and WCW was at its peak?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah basically. There were lawsuits slung back and forth and the only reason Flair is on TV at all is because it was a condition of the settlement.
Bischoff saw Flair as a throwback to an era he couldn't take credit for and a threat to the Hogan-centric product he was putting out. He wanted Flair put out to pasture and Flair wasn't having it.
Also Arn apparently dissed DDP within earshot of Bischoff, which he handled exactly like you'd expect Bischoff to handle it.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Say Nothing posted:

ROLF

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah basically. There were lawsuits slung back and forth and the only reason Flair is on TV at all is because it was a condition of the settlement.
Bischoff saw Flair as a throwback to an era he couldn't take credit for and a threat to the Hogan-centric product he was putting out. He wanted Flair put out to pasture and Flair wasn't having it.
Also Arn apparently dissed DDP within earshot of Bischoff, which he handled exactly like you'd expect Bischoff to handle it.

Also the crowd always popping for Flair despite Bischoff's best efforts couldn't help.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Also the crowd always popping for Flair despite Bischoff's best efforts couldn't help.

Wasn't the whole "Fire me! I'm already fired!" practically a shoot or is that just one of those dumb wrestling rumors that happens because it sounds good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Flair claimed in his autobiography that that promo was mostly ad-libbed, and he let Bischoff have it with both barrels. They planned for Flair to go off on Bischoff, Bischoff to come out and interrupt him, and the two of them to go at each other, but beyond that it was unscripted.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 31, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I would assume it was ad-libbed because assuming it wasn't ad-libbed would imply that someone was writing promos in mid-to-late-90's WCW and that seems vanishingly unlikely.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sort of a longshot question, but does anyone know if they kept Randy Anderson on the payroll until he retired for good in 1999? I'm watching the episodes in 1997 where he got fired for counting a pin on The Outsiders, and I found out he legit had cancer that killed him in 2002 so it would be an extra bummer if he wasn't getting paid those few years.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Didn't he quietly go back to refereeing in WCW after he got treatment?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, he was around in WCW until 99.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Randy mostly refereed on Thunder through 98. He refereed Flair and Piper's match at GAB 99, which must have been nice despite it being a lousy show.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Happy Fingerpoke of Doom day, everyone.

Though we're not supposed to talk about spoilers in the psp chat, I am incredibly excited to see this moment on Tuesday Nitro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2DX_3KStQ

For those of you who were watching back then, was this the point where people really turned against WCW?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Though we're not supposed to talk about spoilers in the psp chat, I am incredibly excited to see this moment on Tuesday Nitro

For those of you who were watching back then, was this the point where people really turned against WCW?

Schivone saying "this is what World Championship Wrestling is all about!" was pretty spot on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
That was also the night with Foley winning the title, Goldberg being charged with "stalking" and being sent to the police station across the street that takes an hour to get back from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

that'll put butts in the seats