Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"TAKE THAT DEREK!"

I lol'd in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Couldn't make it passed 1 minute.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol

"2015 was the best year for Star Citizen"

Of course it is! They went from "no game" to "tech demo", there is literally nowhere else for Star Citizen to go but up

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/73184/star-citizen-support-group

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It's funny how they just can't stop ranting about D_Smart. It is like that annoying person who rants about their boss constantly. They sound like such whining babby.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Dood I spit out my coke lol

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol

"2015 was the best year for Star Citizen"

Of course it is! They went from "no game" to "tech demo", there is literally nowhere else for Star Citizen to go but up

gio get money

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Renegret posted:

I've done it

I've figured out what Star Citizen Reminds me of.

It reminds me of every group programming assignment I had when in school.

Each assignment started the same way, were were really excited about the project and had all these crazy ideas about all the cool things that we were going to do. Then slowly, as realization and time frames settled in, we started cutting those cool features.

Then, as crunch time approached and we started to run out of time, we started cutting core features too, making a calculated risk over weather or not the professor would notice, and trying to figure out we would lose the fewest points on. In fact, we probably spent more time discussing the credit to effort ratio for each part than actually working on the project.

By the time we finished the project, it was a janky buggy mess that only technically met the minimum requirements but WE SWEAR if we had more time it would've been good (no it wouldn't)

...come to think of it, this is how most software development works and is the reason I never got into the industry.

Actually, this is how software design works IRL:

1. A few rich coke-heads come up with a cokey, cokey idea and get their VC pals to throw a few mils on the pile
2. They hire a couple of aspergery-smart hackers to cobble together a POC
3. They show the POC to some crony insider pals at <insert media publication> to write some puff pieces
4. They crunch crunch crunch to make the thing real enough to rope in a big client
5. They hire a few more programmers to hack apart the hack POC to do things it was never designed for to satisfy the client
6. They sign on a few more clients and hack the hacked hack to do things it was never designed for to satisfy the clients

ad infinitum until they run out of dough

They sell the hacky poo poo to another company.

It's fun.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lowtax posted:

I love this thread and will adamantly predict it will end up as the biggest Internet "TOLD YOU SO" ever. Keep up the good fight,guys!

i wanted to report this post as trigging content but ca'nt find the report button pleace advise

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

i wanted to report this post as trigging content but ca'nt find the report button pleace advise

If you were truly triggered youd be so angry you couldnt even post a coherent thought and then go into a diatribe about gender fluidity and how cis white people are the bane of human life. Clearly you werent triggered. Maybe Citizened... but thats a different level of weird.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3yk2p4/who_here_has_had_their_mind_changed_on_sc_and_why/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

If you were truly triggered youd be so angry you couldnt even post a coherent thought and then go into a diatribe about gender fluidity and how cis white people are the bane of human life. Clearly you werent triggered. Maybe Citizened... but thats a different level of weird.

Are you triggered by his triggeri hnnnnnnng god why does the white man always have to put me down!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Are you triggered by his triggeri hnnnnnnng god why does the white man always have to put me down!

Well.. I am only triggered by problems which only exist in MY mind, which are clearly more important than actual world problems. I cant wait to kill every normie in Star Citizen. They are the true scum.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Ah, I see the misconception.

None of this matters because they have no design document for the game.

This is normal.

So I'd like a quote on that please. Not saying this isn't true but it ... it's too stupid to be believable.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Decrepus posted:

It's funny how they just can't stop ranting about D_Smart. It is like that annoying person who rants about their boss constantly. They sound like such whining babby.

I suppose they wouldn't give a drat what he says if it didn't have at least some truth to it.

E: Many of the whales think that those following the train wreck care about the game when it's really just people rolling their eyes over money wasted. People don't have a horse in this race, they're just laughing at all the people betting bux on the lame one.

Oldsmobile fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oldsmobile posted:

I suppose they wouldn't give a drat what he says if it didn't have at least some truth to it.

E: Many of the whales think that those following the train wreck care about the game when it's really just people rolling their eyes over money wasted. People don't have a horse in this race, they're just laughing at all the people betting bux on the lame one.

Shut up, if they become self-aware then we can't have fun anymore!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Oldsmobile posted:

I will get my fun from this clusterfuck one way or another

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

double nine posted:

So I'd like a quote on that please. Not saying this isn't true but it ... it's too stupid to be believable.

My advice is going to be time-consuming, but it's the only way to glean the info you want.

First, read the stretch goals on the following page - all of them: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Then, watch all episodes of "10 for the Chairman". I think we're up to 68 episodes. Pay close attention to two things:

1) The questions being asked. All of them will be basic game functionality questions. The reason they're being asked in the first place is because there is no documentation anywhere for players to read.

2) The answers from Captain Autism. Watch his hands, listen to his mumbly half-coherent responses. Slowly realize that he has no loving plan for this game, but gently caress it, whatever you just asked about, definitely - that's definitely going in the game.

Then spend time looking anywhere for actual documentation for this game. I don't just mean player manuals. Look for references for the following things in relation to this game:

1) Piracy
2) PVP
3) Mining
4) Economy
5) Birds
6) Planetary landings
7) Fuel (including different types!)
8) Craft overheating
9) Hostile boarding
10) I could go on forever...

Everything I mentioned, and thousands more things I didn't, have ALL been promised as going into the game. Contradictory things, things with no underlying systems, things that actually can't exist at all (SC fans having sexual encounters, for example).

That is why the path of the Sane Man is to realize that the only reason everything is going to be going into this game, is because so far nothing has.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

My advice is going to be time-consuming, but it's the only way to glean the info you want.

First, read the stretch goals on the following page - all of them: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Then, watch all episodes of "10 for the Chairman". I think we're up to 68 episodes. Pay close attention to two things:

1) The questions being asked. All of them will be basic game functionality questions. The reason they're being asked in the first place is because there is no documentation anywhere for players to read.

2) The answers from Captain Autism. Watch his hands, listen to his mumbly half-coherent responses. Slowly realize that he has no loving plan for this game, but gently caress it, whatever you just asked about, definitely - that's definitely going in the game.

Then spend time looking anywhere for actual documentation for this game. I don't just mean player manuals. Look for references for the following things in relation to this game:

1) Piracy
2) PVP
3) Mining
4) Economy
5) Birds
6) Planetary landings
7) Fuel (including different types!)
8) Craft overheating
9) Hostile boarding
10) I could go on forever...

Everything I mentioned, and thousands more things I didn't, have ALL been promised as going into the game. Contradictory things, things with no underlying systems, things that actually can't exist at all (SC fans having sexual encounters, for example).

That is why the path of the Sane Man is to realize that the only reason everything is going to be going into this game, is because so far nothing has.

Dont do it. Youl catch the autism that way. Its stronk. Too stronk.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pun pundit posted:

No, SC wants to have space combat feel like ww2 air combat, but it wants to simulate everything with physics... So it puts in thrusters that are orders of magnitude more powerful than is plausible. And doesn't put in any tanks for reaction mass. And has manouvers induce g forces on the pilot, but not the passengers. So it simulates reality where CR thinks he knows how things work, and ignores it everywhere else. It's schizo as hell.

my favorite part.

man it sure is a shame we could get magical gravity macguffins for the whole ship except the cockpit. oh well

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Like, just look at 2.0, then imagine them having to implement poo poo like boarding actions and how cargo interaction in space will work (E:D just has a space hoover to swallow containers, for example). This game is hosed lol

The spergs probably foresee you having to physically leave the ship, and use your hands to manipulate containers into your cargo hold, or even better open your containers and stuff a hundred space trinkets into the space foam or whatever by hand. Basically the antithesis of fun- they have no rewarding lives so they want to pretend to be hardworking warehouse employees in a stupid loving retarded overfunded game for dumbasses

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 28, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309759/on-the-fence-for-getting-a-second-ship-what-s-the-value-in-pledging-more

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 28, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Let's work through an example of how far along this game is coming. Here is the $31 million stretch goal, reached on 11/25/2013:

RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

Holy poo poo! Not just a mining ship, this is a mining platform. It includes:

- Turret-mounted tractor beam arrays
- Mineral storage bags
- A place to sit your rear end and masturbate furiously to the sound of lasers cutting into rocks

Based on other games that exist and can be played right now, and based on past games that existed and could at one time be played, we can reasonably expect the following:

- Asteroids or other floating debris and/or salvageable objects
- These objects will break down into several discrete types of materials; minerals, metals, etc.
- These materials can undergo several stages of refinement
- The refined materials can be sold on the marketplace, or, alternately...
- ... They can be used in the crafting system to manufacture things, things like;
- - weapons
- - modules
- - ships

I think it's safe to say that most space games have had a system at least this complex. Let's see how Star Citizen measures up:

- Asteroids have no function in the game - they are simply generic objects with collision enabled
- There are no basic materials existing in the game
- There is no refinement to materials in the game, since there are no materials in the game
- There is no marketplace, or any other economy, in the game
- There is no crafting in the game
- The weapon/module system is not yet implemented in the game
- The only ships available in the game are to be purchased from CIG directly

What we do have:

- A Cryengine mod with spaceship graphics instead of Prophet

This is over 2 years, and an additional $70 million, after the mining platform stretch goal was reached. Remember that they promised to include this goal in the game even if funding stopped at $31 million. It more than tripled that goal. And nothing is built except a tech demo.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 28, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lowtax posted:

I love this thread and will adamantly predict it will end up as the biggest Internet "TOLD YOU SO" ever. Keep up the good fight,guys!

It will be. And it's coming. I know things.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That's the dumbest loving question. Like ever.

If they didn't start with graphics, how the hell were they going to have anything to show? As in, you know, those JPEGs they've been selling for years.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

D_Smart posted:

It will be. And it's coming. I know things.

I want to believe you, but you're also a notorious blowhard.

I have the strangest boner right now.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Loiosh are you good friend? Did you get out alright?!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I died.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I am concern: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309822/i-am-concern

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nation posted:

Loiosh are you good friend? Did you get out alright?!

did you give that avatar to yourself or did some RSI shill give it to you? That thing is.. ...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

You know he's a lying moron when he can't even get the facts right. I never asked for my pledge back.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Ash1138 posted:

don't forget the airlocks

*hissssssss*

i heard that sandi did the foley work

Oh my God; do not insult Foley artists. I used to be one. :argh: I don't think Sandi's talented enough even to do her natural snake hiss well.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

double nine posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. :allears:

Should we tell him?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

grimcreaper posted:

did you give that avatar to yourself or did some RSI shill give it to you? That thing is.. ...

It's a gbs thing at the moment, no idea who is giving them out.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757620

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 29, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I'm surprised niggling isn't a term of endearment that shitizens use for Uncle Derek. I swear to god I remember reading a guy's post on the star citizen subreddit who just straight up called uncle derek a friend of the family and got five upvotes. It was just the funniest casual racism I'd ever seen.

I remember they were arguing that dark skinned people shouldn't be available as a character option because it was immersion breaking (though that was on the main forums, I believe).

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I like how the intro bumper is literally money burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ravane posted:

I'm surprised niggling isn't a term of endearment that shitizens use for Uncle Derek. I swear to god I remember reading a guy's post on the star citizen subreddit who just straight up called uncle derek a friend of the family and got five upvotes. It was just the funniest casual racism I'd ever seen.

I remember they were arguing that dark skinned people shouldn't be available as a character option because it was immersion breaking (though that was on the main forums, I believe).

There were a LOT of racist posts about that black guy who asked Chris a question about fish tanks. As if every 10 for the chairman isn't filled with retarded questions.

• Locked thread