Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I've been directed to the UK bass thread with Jersey Club because thats pretty much the only thread that has people in it that actually pay the least bit of attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

i flunked out posted:

I've been directed to the UK bass thread with Jersey Club because thats pretty much the only thread that has people in it that actually pay the least bit of attention to it.

That thread is pretty much dead, you'd be way better off going to reddit if you want any kind of discussion or content. I don't mind if you post in there or anything I just think it doesn't really belong with what is posted there and is kind of pointless.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcyt4obtC4

No context intentional

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Since some people are posting top 10s, here is mine

1. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt
2. Future - DS2
3. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
4. EARTHGANG - Strays With Rabies (listen to this: http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/stream-earthgangs-album-strays-with-rabies-news.18543.html)
5. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late
6. Mac Miller - G.O.O.D. AM
7. Pusha T - King Push: Darkest Before Dawn - The Prelude
8. Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
9. A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
10. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like poo poo, I Don't Go Outside

Honorable Mentions: Future - Beast mode; T.I. - Da Nic; Kendrick Lamar - TPAB; some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

Edit: Thank you Marching Powder for recognizing how rad B Boy is

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 28, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
1. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
2. Akala - Knowledge is Power, Part II
3. Audio Push - Good Vibe Tribe
4. Vince Staples - Summertime '06

Those are probably the only four rap albums I've consistently listened to over and over and over all the way through this year. Lots of other stuff that I listen to a few tracks at a time off of though.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

it was a good year for canadian rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c354QkShZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616Ld6vIeNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVynVTXoK3o

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kenshin posted:

Akala - Knowledge is Power, Part II

Yep. Don't sleep.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
too many people like lupe fiasco in this thread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dodecalypse posted:

Sorry you seem to have bad taste. But yes in this here rapity raps thread people probably like one of the best pure lyricists to ever do it.

It's cool not to like his music(though I tend to) but in terms of pure rapping Mural is probably one of the craziest things I have ever heard.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dexo posted:

Sorry you seem to have bad taste. But yes in this here rapity raps thread people probably like one of the best pure lyricists to ever do it.

It's cool not to like his music(though I tend to) but in terms of pure rapping Mural is probably one of the craziest things I have ever heard.
Plus the entire album is meaningful.

I love Mural and Prisoner 1 & 2 as much as everybody else but I would argue that Deliver is equally important as those if not moreso.

quote:

The ghetto was a physical manifestation
Of hate in a place where ethnicity determines your placement
A place that defines your station
Remind you niggas your place is the basement
White people in the attic
Niggas selling dope, White people is the addicts
White folks act like they ain't show us how to traffic
All that dope to China, you don't call that trappin'?
Breaking Bad, learned that from a TV
So don't say it's politics when you see me
When you gon' apologize for your CD
Nigga, that don't match red and black to a GD

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Dexo posted:

What is a pure lyricist?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Besson posted:

What is a pure lyricist?

fair enough, remove the word pure.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Dexo posted:

lmaooooo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dodecalypse posted:

Too many people on the ignore list :clint:

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Lupe never said "zonda same color as lasagna"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ok this will probably be a longish post so just skip it if you don't like reading random dude's opinions on rap or w/e.

So there was a lot of good stuff this year, and rather than doing a top 10 or top 5 or whatever, I'm only doing a top 3 since there's a lot of strong stuff and differentiating between them is often just gonna be based on your taste or mood at the time. Also if you ask me in 6 months there's a chance I'd add/remove stuff since sometimes things don't hit immediately or don't get my full attention or whatever. But all of these are pretty much things I always end up going back to.

So for honorable mentions in no particular order:

Today I wrote nothing billy woods-At first I didn't like this as well as dour candy, but the more I listened the more it drew me in. The shorter song lengths seem to really fit his style (this was kinda a theme this year with a lot of stuff). Lowkey street struggle raps with bursts of wisdom dropped offhandedly. Standout song: Zulu Tolstoy Seriously that beginning is like a 1 minute long fractal or something.

Cherry Bomb Tyler, the Creator-dudes kinda poo poo on this album for various reasons, but honestly it's really good. he's catching a lot of the post-hype OF backlash. He's decent at rapping and while all the songs don't hit (really if he's not going back to Bastard era type poo poo he needs to lay off the harsh stuff) but the highs are just amazing. Dude's production is extremely layered and elegant and clean and pretty. Standout song: Find Your Wings dude's channeling 70's Stevie with that intro, and then the beat transitions to something that would've sounded just right on Baduism.

I don't like poo poo, I don't go outside Earl Sweatshirt-honestly, I didn't like this all that well at first. on first listen it seemed to much like a doris rehash. And while that's still largely true, he's actually bothered to wake up for some of these songs and you get the lyricism shining through more. Production is actually heavily indebted to early OF stuff, although I don't think any of those dudes actually did production here. It's also extremely short, so you don't have time to get bored with it. Standout song: Faucet really murky production, with lyrics that are super-sharp. The type of song you just kinda let sink in.

Time & Materials Cavanaugh (Open Mike Eagle and Serengeti)-This is an odd album. It's supposedly a concept album about two dudes working in some futuristic housing project with rich & poor folks living together or something, but it doesn't always come through. Fortunately you can pretty much ignore it. Open Mike Eagle's been supernice with everything recently, and the way they bounce off of and between each other in the songs is really nice. Standout song: Screen Play Love the flow on this-kinda halting, lurching, off-balance while being totally lowkey.

Summertime 06 Vince Staples-Honestly this album being so good wasn't a surprise to anyone who was paying attention to his earlier EPs. Very sharp gangsta rap, or conscious rap with a street edge. Definitely one of the year's bigger releases (at least in terms of discussion) and for good reason. Standout song: Summertime Clams finally shows back up, and it's on one of the most melancholy, moving tracks I've heard this year. Vince tones down his typically aggressive flow for something softer, and the second verse is crushing.

Days With Dr Yen Lo Ka-This is the same precise, cold, efficient lyricism he's been delivering on the last few releases. The big change is he's working with outside production here. It doesn't deviate too much from his formula-everything still is extremely sparse. Of course on a Ka album the production's there mainly to help showcase his rhymes. As an aside, it's kinda disappointing that dudes like Joey Badass, Bishop Nehru, etc are just plainly aping the old 90's NY style where you got dudes like Ka (and Roc Marciano for that matter) who were actually around then taking that old aesthetic into the present. Standout song: Day 0 the track is pretty much the bare minimum requirements to be a beat, and Ka's wasting no breath over it. Every word sounds like it's been perfectly chosen and placed exactly where it needed to be, and it's delivered with a hypnotic intensity.

Tetsuo and Youth Lupe Fiasco-most dudes who follow rap know of Lupe's label troubles the last few years. Well, he finally got to make an album that his, but for some reason it was largely ignored (at least in terms of what you'd expect for a return to form for a dude who was legit a star). Hopefully nobody here is ignoring it, because he's at pretty much full capabilities, and Lupe at full capabilities is a dude who's arguably the best rapper out and at least deserves mention as one of the best PURE LYRICISTS ever. This is pretty much the type of album he should've been doing with his last two. Standout song: Madonna mural probably gets the most mention (and for good reason, it's 8+ minutes of straight rappity rap rapping) but I always go back to Madonna. Of the tracks on his album, this still seems to have some of the emotional pop that his early stuff had.

So the Flies Don't Come milo-a very interesting album. this really resembles an anticon album circa 2000, only without all the baggage those dudes tended to have about being white guys making "alternative" rap. But it ends up that is a recipe for good music (tbh a lot of that stuff was also good music, but w/e). His delivery almost veers into spoken word at times, until he'll release a near-staccato burst or some other little verbal trick to catch you off guard. Production is solid on here, and fits right in the same vein. Standout song: An Encyclopedia this is maybe the anticon-est of his songs on here. you could do a deep reading of every other line in here, there's a lot packed in here.

Innocent Country Quelle Chris-Another dude who sometimes has an off-kilter delivery. Very sample-heavy production which is somewhat novel in the current environment. Also unlike a lot of dudes who do the street/struggle rap poo poo, Quelle Chris injects a lot of lowkey humor into his stuff. It's how he can make an album that topically is pretty grim, yet still sound very light and airy. Standout song: I Asked God the humorous pragmatism that Quelle Chris excels at is all over here. The piano sample just adds to the overall tone and message of the track.

Shadow of a Doubt Freddie Gibbs-Nothing more really needs to be said about Freddie's rapping. The big surprise here is he continues to branch out with the production he raps over. And it largely works, which is a credit to him since some of the production seems like it tries to almost fight him for attention. But Gibbs always been able to rap his rear end off so it shouldn't be too surprising. Standout song: loving Up the Count Showing why he's the best gangsta rapper out.

Martin Lucid Dream Denmark Vessey-Another Detroit dude like Quelle Chris, works in a similar lane but got a different sound, kinda adds a more conscious bent. Just a real chill, mellow album, more sample heavy production, lots of soul. Something I just found myself always going back to. Standout song: Nerd Niggas This song is like what I'd imagine the Native Tongues dudes would sound like if they got a start now rather than in the 90's. Just a more bugged out version-not quite as jazzy and smooth.

Barter 6, Slime Season 1 & 2, etc Young Thug-There's been a lot of discussion about Thug of course. I'd be lying if I didn't say he put out some of the best songs this year. I just find it hard to listen to any of his albums straight through-they're way too one note/inconsistent/sloppy. He's usually doing very interesting things in terms of his actual flow, and the ad-libs he drops in, and all the auxiliary stuff like that. But it's a kinda a chore to listen to the actual content of his raps for too long. And his production largely does him no favors-it's not that it's bad as a whole, it's just also typically very one-note and samey. All that said though, the highs on his albums (and the singles) are some of the best music this year so I don't think any reasonable rap fan could omit him entirely from any best-of discussion. Standout song: Pacifier in a just world, this would've been the "summer song" for 2015. And probably 2115, and every year in between. The beat is nuts, and Thug goes all in on it. Maybe my favorite song of the year, it's just amazing in every way.

Ok, my top 3 albums are as follows:

3. To Pimp a Butterfly-Without the skits and stuff (or if they only happened every 5th song), it may be my top album. Brilliant but disjointed. Won't say much more since this has been talked to death but yeah.
2. Oblivion Access-It's basically rap antimatter. Tons of skill here, both in production and rapping. I wrote recently about this and could say even more but yeah.
1. 56 Nights-All Future's output this year was great, but 56 Nights was a step above. From start to finish impeccable. This has also been talked to death so I won't say more but yeah. Album of the year for sure.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
you should post more about some of the more obscure things you find. i haven't even heard of a lot of this stuff.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKD2sEX3TO8

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

nice

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

listening to this again and it just struck me how rarely i literally laugh out loud at a line in rap

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I like almost everything on Alansmithee's list, that is a good rear end list.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Only a few days left for Lil B to save 2015

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Late but push album is incredible. F.I.F.A. might be my beat of the year, it's fantastic

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Only a few days left for Lil B to save 2015

I cannot wait for at Thugged Out, Pissed Off!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is the TTS voice in LUM's "Collapse and Appear" Anna or Zira? or other for that matter

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Profondo Rosso posted:

idk how im just hearing this kid but hes dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jssmhx9GAVM

abraham linksys posted:

what the hell apparently Player's Ball was originally a Christmas track

nice http://www.npr.org/2015/12/24/46016...tm_content=2051

I AM BRAWW posted:

merry christmas rap thread regulars

here's a gem from 2 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7SycXiBcs
drat this is all good poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

from june, but i missed it and it's loving great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKrPexPMGbo

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Never heard of Vince Staples till now, been listening to this track on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1KCyCv34cg

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
You know what makes me like Pusha T a lot, the fact that his album art is a pretty clear allusion to Rene Magritte's Man in a Bowler Hat. I dig that. Pusha, you alright.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what makes me like pusha a lot is his propensity for rapping well over sick beats

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

This new Sizzle tape is amazing

Southside Prod. by Southside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j394WpVxLNc

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 30, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

gone fishin'
blunt twisting
dill pickle expedition
and i only gently caress with bitches who loves popeye's chicken

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's still summertime 06 aoty 2015 for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6Jc4juSF8

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Mac Miller just dropped a really nice beat tape: https://soundcloud.com/larryfisherman/run-on-sentences-volume-two

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
How is News or Something not on album. Top 5 Future track for sure. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite of his this year maybe higher.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

How is News or Something not on album. Top 5 Future track for sure. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite of his this year maybe higher.

If it wasn't for future's sonic perfection on the second verse of march madness it'd be number one for me

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm assuming there was just no place to put it. Maybe DS2 but since that was a large release I'm figuring it probably wasn't done in time to be included.

And it's clearly one of the best tracks of the year, Future or otherwise. I'm guessing it'll find it's way onto one of his next releases, similar to how Karate Chop and Sh!t were sitting around for a year+ before showing up on Honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

alansmithee posted:

I'm assuming there was just no place to put it. Maybe DS2 but since that was a large release I'm figuring it probably wasn't done in time to be included.

And it's clearly one of the best tracks of the year, Future or otherwise. I'm guessing it'll find it's way onto one of his next releases, similar to how Karate Chop and Sh!t were sitting around for a year+ before showing up on Honest.

It's very different from most of his 2014/2015 releases. I haven't listened to his stuff before that. Is it a sound he's done before on earlier stuff?