Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Bootcha posted:

EDIT: Oh god remember when I got internet mad at someone?

greatest moment of our collective lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

MeLKoR posted:

Oh yeah, no one is going to kill themselves when this goes belly up. :smith:

that is hosed up :/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
In other news Lemmy of Motorhead has died :[ RIP Lemmy.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if he would sell his farm for a Javelin.

The bank owns the farm.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

In other news Lemmy of Motorhead has died :[ RIP Lemmy.

You beat me to it. :smith: Sad day. I called Bootcha almost in tears.

In my stagehand days, one of my coworkers had previously toured with Motorhead, and he spoke highly of what a down-to-earth guy he was. I never got to see them play. :(

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Part of me feels bad, the other part is just like, how loving pathetic can you be. At least with gambling addicts, there is the delusion they might walk away with thousands upon thousands of dollars and pull them out of the hole. With this, what the hell is the pull? Are their lives so empty, so meaningless that they have to imagine a space-ship game in their brains and then justify it by spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on absolutely nothing and ruin their lives over it? People in cons are usually drawn in by their greed, but at least it is something to benefit them tangibly. There's no benefit here. I can do exactly what they are doing by going to RP chat rooms and forums and role-play for free. Hell, even this very site has an RP forum.

gently caress, even in other digital fantasy worlds, you are buying something for your money, a private server, build tools, something. Here you aren't even getting that. You are getting the promise of something. In an industry where such promises are absolutely meaningless and there are far, far more examples of games that have failed to deliver and outright lied than have lived up to expectations. And this includes great developers and people who knew what they were doing. The psychology of giving away thousands upon thousands for dollars for literally nothing is mind boggling. And they wonder why they get called a cult. They are spending thousands of dollars in the complete absence of evidence simply on faith. This is a video game that doesn't loving exist and they are ruining your lives over a promise based on faith. This is what cults do.

At this point, I don't even think this is Chris Roberts. He doesn't have a cult of personality. He isn't charismatic, he's a mush-mouth autistic rear end in a top hat who has to be cattle-prodded to finish anything, like many developers of his time. I fully believe it could have been some other idiot who made one space sim years ago. It isn't him that's doing it, they are doing it to themselves. It is like Chris Roberts hit the most pathetic and naive people on the planet and struck gold.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

You beat me to it. :smith: Sad day. I called Bootcha almost in tears.

In my stagehand days, one of my coworkers had previously toured with Motorhead, and he spoke highly of what a down-to-earth guy he was. I never got to see them play. :(

He gave no fucks about life and just did he what he wanted, still managed to not be a knob and was cool all the time.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Breetai posted:

So a question was asked on the forums:

The responses:

Level of hand-waving:

...and still, what they are describing sounds like the most boring, unfun, grindy way of approaching the issue possible.

Lol, so if you run out of ships/money you're expected to work on someone else's ship and not just murder the pilot and fly away? I'm sure that'll work out.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

MeLKoR posted:

Looks like the chickens are gonna starve this month, daddy gotta feed :lesnick: tonight.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

He gave no fucks about life and just did he what he wanted, still managed to not be a knob and was cool all the time.

I always remember two quotes from interviews with him.

Interviewer: I read an article that said you live in a little apartment in LA.

Lemmy: Yeah, a two-room apartment.

Interviewer: Why such a small place? I'm guessing you could afford something bigger.

Lemmy: [ . . . ] I'm not looking for a big house — you can only be in one room at a time.

The other one went something like

Interviewer: Why do you still keep touring?

Lemmy: Did you ever have a dream?

Interviewer: Yeah.

Lemmy: Well, mine came true. Why stop doing it?

Definitely cool.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

Part of me feels bad, the other part is just like, how loving pathetic can you be. At least with gambling addicts, there is the delusion they might walk away with thousands upon thousands of dollars and pull them out of the hole. With this, what the hell is the pull? Are their lives so empty, so meaningless that they have to imagine a space-ship game in their brains and then justify it by spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on absolutely nothing and ruin their lives over it? People in cons are usually drawn in by their greed, but at least it is something to benefit them tangibly. There's no benefit here. I can do exactly what they are doing by going to RP chat rooms and forums and role-play for free. Hell, even this very site has an RP forum.

Someone on this forum should get in touch and just try and stop him, he wouldn't listen but maybe if we all shout at him not to throw his life and future and farm away he might wake up?
Optimistic I know but holy poo poo I hope he's lying.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Chin posted:

... but why the jank?

Because this is all basically a mod for Crysis, and a lovely one, at that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

I always remember two quotes from interviews with him.

Interviewer: I read an article that said you live in a little apartment in LA.

Lemmy: Yeah, a two-room apartment.

Interviewer: Why such a small place? I'm guessing you could afford something bigger.

Lemmy: [ . . . ] I'm not looking for a big house — you can only be in one room at a time.

The other one went something like

Interviewer: Why do you still keep touring?

Lemmy: Did you ever have a dream?

Interviewer: Yeah.

Lemmy: Well, mine came true. Why stop doing it?

Definitely cool.

I started reading his autobiography a few years ago but never finished it, I really should get round to it, I remember he talked about being a teenager and just picking up a little Hawaiian ukulele and teaching himself how to play.
I can only see him as a teenager with big fuckoff muttonchops, pants that don't quite fit and a teddyboy haircut but still looking 50 years old haha.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://killscreen.com/articles/remembering-the-beautifully-boring-mmo-star-wars-galaxies/

Star wars galaxies sounds like a way better game than star citizen. IMO, it seems like people actually have jobs that matter.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper Dan posted:

gently caress, even in other digital fantasy worlds, you are buying something for your money, a private server, build tools, something. Here you aren't even getting that. You are getting the promise of something. In an industry where such promises are absolutely meaningless and there are far, far more examples of games that have failed to deliver and outright lied than have lived up to expectations. And this includes great developers and people who knew what they were doing. The psychology of giving away thousands upon thousands for dollars for literally nothing is mind boggling. And they wonder why they get called a cult. They are spending thousands of dollars in the complete absence of evidence simply on faith. This is a video game that doesn't loving exist and they are ruining your lives over a promise based on faith. This is what cults do.

At this point, I don't even think this is Chris Roberts. He doesn't have a cult of personality. He isn't charismatic, he's a mush-mouth autistic rear end in a top hat who has to be cattle-prodded to finish anything, like many developers of his time. I fully believe it could have been some other idiot who made one space sim years ago. It isn't him that's doing it, they are doing it to themselves. It is like Chris Roberts hit the most pathetic and naive people on the planet and struck gold.

There isn't even the draw of instant gratification because Star Citizen lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
On one hand you get to wade knee deep in poo poo everyday with fat, dumb, animals that stink like gently caress and on the other hand you get to run a farm, it's a tough call

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

Another poster here attempted to put some office furniture in his ship - I think he got a chair in the back before the game crashed. That is sort of an inventory, right? But that leads us to another technicality:

- No persistence

hello friend

you came out of nowhere and started effortposting

what is your citizen story?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The only way that story could turn around and become funny again was if he was dropping everything to play FarmVille.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dapper Dan posted:

Part of me feels bad, the other part is just like, how loving pathetic can you be. At least with gambling addicts, there is the delusion they might walk away with thousands upon thousands of dollars and pull them out of the hole. With this, what the hell is the pull? Are their lives so empty, so meaningless

lol

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

On one hand you get to wade knee deep in poo poo everyday with fat, dumb, animals that stink like gently caress and on the other hand you get to run a farm, it's a tough call

:thurman:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hello friend

I don't know his citizen story but I'll share mine because I started reading this thread just under a week ago:

A couple years ago, Star Citizen is basically what got me interested in space games, and I was really hoping it would be good. I checked the website and spaceships cost real money and the game wasn't even anywhere near alpha at that point so I decided to back off and wait a while. Fast forward to mid-2015 where I wasn't perpetually broke, I went looking into spacegames "Oh, surely Star Citizen's really coming along by now, that game sure did look cool two years ago" and Star Citizen still wasn't even in beta yet. I bought Elite: Dangerous instead and ended up enjoying it enough that I bought the Horizons expansion and don't regret it. That's my star citizen story thank you for reading.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MeLKoR posted:

The only way that story could turn around and become funny again was if he was dropping everything to play FarmVille.
what if he loses the farm because he bought that ship with the farm module dlc

he would probably "buy the farm"

peter gabriel posted:

:eyepop:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

:drat:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hello friend

It all started months ago when I came across this Wired article: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

I read it and immediately recognized Chris from back in the day. I played the old Wing Commander games back whenever, on the 3D0 of all things. They were mostly poo poo, but there was some entertainment value. I promptly forgot about them.

A casual glance at the development of the game, cross-referenced with Chris Roberts' industry history, shone all the light on this project that anyone would ever need. But - noplace to talk about it online due to cultists?

I stumbled here by accident and found people with their heads on straight. I needed to find the best vantage point to watch this implode spectacularly, and I suspect these are the best seats in the house.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Jesus... that's depressing to read. Please, somebody report that post to Chris roberts and Sandi Gardiner immediately. Also, link the suicide hot line number info with it so they can take care of the issue.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

Jesus... that's depressing to read. Please, somebody report that post to Chris roberts and Sandi Gardiner immediately. Also, link the suicide hot line number info with it so they can take care of the issue.

No don't link it to THOSE two fuckers, they'll loving eat him alive :o

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Scruffpuff posted:

It all started months ago when I came across this Wired article: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

I read it and immediately recognized Chris from back in the day. I played the old Wing Commander games back whenever, on the 3D0 of all things. They were mostly poo poo, but there was some entertainment value. I promptly forgot about them.

A casual glance at the development of the game, cross-referenced with Chris Roberts' industry history, shone all the light on this project that anyone would ever need. But - noplace to talk about it online due to cultists?

I stumbled here by accident and found people with their heads on straight. I needed to find the best vantage point to watch this implode spectacularly, and I suspect these are the best seats in the house.

That's exactly what a spy would say. A spy sent to steal our investment and buttcoins

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

welcome and thank you for your contribution to keeping our dumb forum online

ironically the whole :10bux: gated community thing is the only thing keeping citizens from drowning criticism out en masse like in every single comment thread on every single news or blog article about SC

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

No don't link it to THOSE two fuckers, they'll loving eat him alive :o

If it's reported to the owners of the company and he commits suicide then maybe someone can say it was directly their fault if they don't intervene.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

hrmph why does this look so familiar

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

If it's reported to the owners of the company and he commits suicide then maybe someone can say it was directly their fault if they don't intervene.

Ben will eat his body, Sandi will swallow his soul, and Chris will stare at a locked up computer while drooling into his lap.

No body, no crime.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

More than that, look at what's actually in those “design” descriptions: 90% pointless lore, 9% UI mockups, and 1% obligatory sales pitch for a new ship to fulfil the role. It reads like a high-school essay with a 5k word limit (but no page requirement, so no cheating with double-spaced lines) rather than any instruction to actually stay on topic. At no point are any actual mechanics described — no “to achieve X, you do Y, which is balanced by factors Z” — and no description of these mechanics would fit into the larger picture of the game. Ok, fine, you can mine minerals… and then what? What are the acquisition rates, how are they balanced between different materials, and how much go into actually building stuff? What does the faucet-to-sink path look like?

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Please tell me that wingcommanderthemovie.com will soon redirect to wangcommandertheshiza.xxx in our lifetime.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

thank you for sharing, and welcome home to internet 1.0

it's p good once you get the hang of it

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

I understand where you're coming from and I mean this in the nicest way to you, but i'd just rather have him not commit suicide.(I know you weren't advocating that anyway)

Unfortunately I wouldn't even know a link to help him so....... :[ fingers crossed he's lying

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I appreciate everyone who spends money to keep these forums running or manages to get money spent on them by other people

even gryphon not only signed up but also managed to get someone to buy him an av for extra value

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It is kind of ridiculous that the gaming press dogpiled Peter Molyneux into crying and losing his sense of self-worth but none of them have so much as glanced at the most entertaining fuckup of the past 3 years: Msr Chris Roberts.
At some point this is all going to collapse and they'll tear the whole thing apart like piranhas and then a year later they'll have retconned history with them having always been skeptical and critical of the whole thing.

I guess its a fools game to hope Germing Jurnalists will be anything better than insipid but RPS and PCgamer used to love this kind of drama, I'd like to know why they seem so cautious about broaching the issue, whether they just copy/paste press releases without watching Chris play his own game or whether the rabid fans give them pause.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Jobbo Fett's video of Chris Roberts failing to play his own game has hit more than 30,000 views! It will probably end up getting at least as many as your typical episode of Around the Verse. The comments are pretty good too.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

peter gabriel posted:

pgabz dropping bombs everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

As I said a while back welcome to the RMS Carpathia.

• Locked thread