Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

By "computers" I mean analog computers which take a voltage input and perform some operation on that voltage (add/subtract/multiply/divide) using op-amps. They must have gone through a lot of vacuum tubes!

Pretty much, they were more just a series of servos and drivers with linked inputs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

A relative of mine flew B-29s out of Tinian at the end of the war (and no, before someone asks, he didn't fly either of those B-29s, but he was on the island when the missions were launched.) He says there was a neat trick where they could line up the gunsight and then press a button to slew the turret and fire as soon as it lined up. It gave fighters who thought they hadn't been spotted a nasty surprise.

That's street as hell.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

inkjet_lakes posted:

Not sure they'd have fared as well flying directly over Warpac runways with a fireworks display lit under their fuselage

Planned employment was lateral instead of parallel because of expected ground fire anyway. Still, in E. Germany at least airbase defense was comparatively underdeveloped because it was left to the (overstretched, undergunned) locals.

The best of the best of Soviet AA was mobile and to be taken along with the army.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That Mi-8 minelayer has to be the least efficient way to do it possible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pretty sure I saw that "yoke" on a tractor when I was a kid. Its only missing a brodie knob.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

drzrma posted:

I'm hoping that's the video I think it is, I'll check when I get to work and have a moment. I don't know what it is about training films from the 40s-50s that makes them so great, but I love them.

A lot of the weapon system movies were done by actual pro movie studios (Disney did a bunch) during the war years as their part in the war effort. So they look drat good especially now that we're used to info vids with a shitload of footage that looks like it was shot on an 80s betamax.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey look, an overview of the Doppler Radar system for the Apollo lander!

Also, have a link to a Java version of the Apollo Guidance Computer.

http://svtsim.com/moonjs/agc.html

Now with realistic IMU boot up times!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

priznat posted:

A lot of the weapon system movies were done by actual pro movie studios (Disney did a bunch) during the war years as their part in the war effort. So they look drat good especially now that we're used to info vids with a shitload of footage that looks like it was shot on an 80s betamax.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85MDZfZr1ag

The best one is IMO the one on analog computers in naval fire control. Watching it was probably the first time I understood that 'analog computers' were actually analog and not some kind of clicky relay electromechanical digital computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 28, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drzrma posted:

I don't know what it is about training films from the 40s-50s that makes them so great, but I love them.

I agree so much. The cartoon style, the surprisingly high production values (you are lucky to get stock footage next to your powerpoint presentation these days), the voice, the zeitgeist, the low pace and the surprisingly high pedagogical value. It's understandable during the war years, they had big budgets, commandeered animators and had to teach hick teenagers how to operate high tech engineering. But the tone and quality of information is there both before and after the war.

This one did the rounds a few years ago. Great example of the type, if not actually about aircraft. Most people in AI sort of know how a differential works, but everyone knows how it works for sure after seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

e: and OSHA.jpg with fanfare after 8:55

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 28, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

This. The people doing all sorts of WW2 information films were often top people. John Ford (one of America's leading filmmakers of the day, his movie "How Green Was My Valley" beat "Citizen Kane" at the Oscars for gently caress's sake) was wounded at the Battle of Midway. He was on Midway Island, up in a water tower, trying to get shots of the Japanese planes attacking Midway when he was hit by shrapnel. Frank Capra was a producer on the "Why We Fight" series of films - an attempt to explain to people how the hell WW2 started and was going.

Speaking of Disney, they made this: Victory Through Air Power. It's pretty much a hour long movie on the Strategic Bombing Thesis, hosted by a Russian-American guy who was definitely aeronautically insane. Disney funded the whole project out of his own pocket he thought this guy's ideas were so important. If somebody can take my hand and show me how to make some .gifs (it is really .gif-able) I can do a synopsis.

Ola posted:

This one did the rounds a few years ago. Great example of the type, if not actually about aircraft. Most people in AI sort of know how a differential works, but everyone knows how it works for sure after seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

e: and OSHA.jpg with fanfare after 8:55

e: My favorite film of this type is very short and simply called "Hands"

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 28, 2015

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

If somebody can take my hand and show me how to make some .gifs (it is really .gif-able) I can do a synopsis.

Gooncam is by far the easiest tool to make gifs out of everything.

sourceforge dot net/projects/gooncam/

e: edited link because of

Alereon posted:

You guys probably want to edit these links out of your posts. You can leave the URL just please break the link. There's a risk that the forums or at least this page of the thread will be blocked by Google SafeBrowsing or users' security programs due to the presence of malware links. I am a computer forum mod and my opinions hold no sway here.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 28, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gervasius posted:

is by far the easiest tool to make gifs out of everything.

That is blocked by ublock for malware

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 29, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

They probably block the entirety of sourceforge since sourceforge started bundling poo poo in installers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

They probably block the entirety of sourceforge since sourceforge started bundling poo poo in installers.

Yeah source forge randomly includes viruses, excuse me valuable third party offers, in their installers.

You can go to "files" and then download a zip or check out the project with SVN and compile it (its C#)

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just grab latest alpha build from "files" tab, unpack it and run gooncam.exe. No installer needed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

slidebite posted:

You guys probably want to edit these links out of your posts. You can leave the URL just please break the link. There's a risk that the forums or at least this page of the thread will be blocked by Google SafeBrowsing or users' security programs due to the presence of malware links. I am a computer forum mod and my opinions hold no sway here.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hogmartin posted:

The best one is IMO the one on analog computers in naval fire control. Watching it was probably the first time I understood that 'analog computers' were actually analog and not some kind of clicky relay electromechanical digital computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0

Yeah, this one blows my mind. Doing calculations with cleverly shaped bits of metal. It's the ultimate wartime evolution of the slide rule.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mechanical computers like that were actually quite mature by that time. Steam engines had relatively advanced control systems by the late 19th century for example.

Also as an EE gently caress analog controls.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fredrick posted:

It's a dumb joke either way, and it misses the part where an exploding airport concourse is a tragedy, but not as much of a tragedy as a 500mph aluminum tube full of 50,000 gallons of fuel exploding and landing on a school or something.

By any measure, killing 500 people in line at a security gate will be at *least* as devastating in its impact on public awareness as blowing up yet another plane. Do you even remember Iraqi Air Flight 163, Korean Air 858, UTA 772, Avianca 203, or like another dozen-odd planes blown up by bombs snuck on board by terrorists? Someone setting a suitcase full of Semtex and roofing nails off at a security checkpoint would have enormous ramifications, simply huge, and pointing out the fundamentally self-defeating nature of our approach to security isn't dumb, it's just not *funny*.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

hobbesmaster posted:

Also as an EE gently caress analog controls.

There are still mechanical governors running really large Hydroelectric power plants.

I have to occasionally work on a 1970's era analog turbine governor. It is incredibly capable but what a pain in the rear end.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

helno posted:

There are still mechanical governors running really large Hydroelectric power plants.

I have to occasionally work on a 1970's era analog turbine governor. It is incredibly capable but what a pain in the rear end.
There are mechanical governors still flying on airliners to this very day. I'll take an "ancient" mechanical or analog system designed and fabricated with care that does its job and just keeps doing it for decades without as much as a hiccup over a digital system that was rushed to market running on lowest-bidder components programmed by a guy barely out of university, thank you very very much. :colbert:

Phanatic posted:

By any measure, killing 500 people in line at a security gate will be at *least* as devastating in its impact on public awareness as blowing up yet another plane.
If you've paid any attention to bombings happening at major events in the last decade or so you know that can't happen.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 29, 2015

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah I'm sure anything would be luxury after that.

This got me wondering: What are the nicest cockpits?

My vote:

Holy crap that's a lot of space. You could kick a football in there.

Honorable mentions:

(It's like a sun room)

(that view :swoon:)

Cheating because it's the fact it's a freaking space shuttle that's awesome, the cockpit is not intrinsically amazing (IMHO)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tsuru posted:

There are mechanical governors still flying on airliners to this very day. I'll take an "ancient" mechanical or analog system designed and fabricated with care that does its job and just keeps doing it for decades without as much as a hiccup over a digital system that was rushed to market running on lowest-bidder components programmed by a guy barely out of university, thank you very very much. :colbert:
If you've paid any attention to bombings happening at major events in the last decade or so you know that can't happen.

Counterpoint: mechanical fuel injection.

That b-29 computer is pretty badass. You pick the target size and put the pipper on the plane, then use a dial to make a circle in the sight the same diameter as the wingspan. Then just hold the pipper on the target, and the computer calculates range and slew angle, then corrects for windage, airspeed, bullet drop, target lead, and (of course) parallax.

It seems to do this with synchros. The combined synchro signal is sent to the gun director, which is servo-driven.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Care to label those cockpits? I couldn't identify any besides the B-29 and Orbiter.

I bet zeppelins and the like had some badass flight decks for sure.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did the B-36 use the same gun turret computer as the B-29 or was it even fancier?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Captain Postal posted:

This got me wondering: What are the nicest cockpits?

My vote:

Holy crap that's a lot of space. You could kick a football in there.

Honorable mentions:

(It's like a sun room)

First one is a Boeing 314 Clipper, the second is the Douglas XB-19.

Modern aircraft obviously don't have a ton of room in the cockpit, but still, some are better than others. The 747 has a surprisingly cramped cockpit, given the size of the aircraft, mostly because of where it's located.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hogmartin posted:

I bet zeppelins and the like had some badass flight decks for sure.

I have a picture of R100's flight deck and bunch of guys in fisherman's sweaters piloting it with those steering wheels sailboats use but I can't find it right now. Have some R101 photos instead:

Additional good cockpit :quagmire:

Boeing Stratocrusier:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

First one is a Boeing 314 Clipper, the second is the Douglas XB-19.

Modern aircraft obviously don't have a ton of room in the cockpit, but still, some are better than others. The 747 has a surprisingly cramped cockpit, given the size of the aircraft, mostly because of where it's located.

When I was seated on the upper deck of a delta 744* I took a glance in the cockpit and the observer stations seemed to have a ton of space at least. The crew rest area bunk cots across from the upper deck lav looked kinda miserable though.

*that stopped my "this is the third transpacific flight in a row I have had a one day delay on" rant in its tracks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tsuru posted:

Sure it can. It just takes coordination and planning. Just because one idiot with a backpack bomb can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Edit: V It's unfortunate we can't rely on that forever.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 29, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm just glad that in general terrorists are so stupid.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It seems like making an effective bomb yourself is somewhat tricky to do.

All else being equal, though, for a given size of explosive, I'd rather it go off on the ground than in the air- it seems like you would need only a relatively small bomb to fatally damage a 747 with 400 people on board compared to the bomb you'd need to reach the same number on the ground.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

hobbesmaster posted:

When I was seated on the upper deck of a delta 744* I took a glance in the cockpit and the observer stations seemed to have a ton of space at least. The crew rest area bunk cots across from the upper deck lav looked kinda miserable though.

*that stopped my "this is the third transpacific flight in a row I have had a one day delay on" rant in its tracks

Anyone have pics of various cabin crew rest areas that are normally hidden from the dirty plebes?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Anyone have pics of various cabin crew rest areas that are normally hidden from the dirty plebes?

Sin bins. At least the lower deck ones.
No, but the 777 upper deck crew rest is the best seats in the house, barring the lack of windows.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Airliners.net has crew rest area pics

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

david_a posted:

Did the B-36 use the same gun turret computer as the B-29 or was it even fancier?
To answer my own question with some Googling, it was not the same system. The B-36 actually seemed more primitive in a way. On the B-29, the different gunner stations could switch their control to other guns, but on the 36 each station controlled one and only one turret. The 29 also corrected for parallax which was supposedly not needed on the 36 as the gunner stations were so close to the turrets. There were apparently also lots of problems with accuracy on the 36 implementation which helped the decision to just ditch the things. Other than some anecdotes by vets praising the B-29 system I don't have a good sense of how well it worked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So long as the B-29 system didn't break down all the time it had to be a million times better than the system on the B-17/24 and the various medium bombers. If only by being easier to aim since you didn't have a gun blocking your view.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems like making an effective bomb yourself is somewhat tricky to do.

All else being equal, though, for a given size of explosive, I'd rather it go off on the ground than in the air- it seems like you would need only a relatively small bomb to fatally damage a 747 with 400 people on board compared to the bomb you'd need to reach the same number on the ground.

Yes, but again, when your security is *based on* creating a giant bottleneck with hundreds of people standing around in close quarters in a completely unsecured space, you are creating a huge target. Obtaining high explosives is not really the obstacle for resourceful bad actors, and most of what we're doing is security theater. That's not to say it's *useless*, people need to *feel* safe in order to go to airports and travel, and the theater helps accomplish that. But the security line is such a giant, soft target of opportunity I'm amazing it hasn't been targeted yet. So far the bad guys have been total idiots who couldn't manage to set their own underwear on fire, or resource-poor people like the Tsarnaevs who were at least intelligent enough to go after a soft target, but we can't rely on them all being like that. Again, don't think "pipe bomb" like in Boston, think of a big wheeled suitcase full of HE and fragments going off in a packed security line on one of the busiest travel days of the year; the curtain's gonna come down on that security theater really damned fast. You don't need as much explosive to bring down a 747, if it's in the right place, but the security line's a place where the only limit on how big a bomb you can set off is that you need to carry it with you.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Phanatic posted:

Yes, but again, when your security is *based on* creating a giant bottleneck with hundreds of people standing around in close quarters in a completely unsecured space, you are creating a huge target. Obtaining high explosives is not really the obstacle for resourceful bad actors, and most of what we're doing is security theater. That's not to say it's *useless*, people need to *feel* safe in order to go to airports and travel, and the theater helps accomplish that. But the security line is such a giant, soft target of opportunity I'm amazing it hasn't been targeted yet. So far the bad guys have been total idiots who couldn't manage to set their own underwear on fire, or resource-poor people like the Tsarnaevs who were at least intelligent enough to go after a soft target, but we can't rely on them all being like that. Again, don't think "pipe bomb" like in Boston, think of a big wheeled suitcase full of HE and fragments going off in a packed security line on one of the busiest travel days of the year; the curtain's gonna come down on that security theater really damned fast. You don't need as much explosive to bring down a 747, if it's in the right place, but the security line's a place where the only limit on how big a bomb you can set off is that you need to carry it with you.

Man I went to see Star Wars and legit had thoughts of some lunatic doing something. gently caress the media. :(

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Yes, but again, when your security is *based on* creating a giant bottleneck with hundreds of people standing around in close quarters in a completely unsecured space, you are creating a huge target.

I think I have a screencap around here somewhere of what was probably your most epic rant on the subject. It had something about setting off NAVSEA explosives all day and the airport detectors not catching a whiff of it, and another bit about some gear from a 160th SOAR helo where the TSA monkeys couldn't admit that you didn't match the profile of a bad guy because they couldn't admit there even was a profile.

I think you ended it by calling Theatre Securite Americain 'the dumbest thing since the war on drugs and the Washington Nationals'. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

hogmartin posted:

I think I have a screencap around here somewhere of what was probably your most epic rant on the subject. It had something about setting off NAVSEA explosives all day and the airport detectors not catching a whiff of it, and another bit about some gear from a 160th SOAR helo where the TSA monkeys couldn't admit that you didn't match the profile of a bad guy because they couldn't admit there even was a profile.

I think you ended it by calling Theatre Securite Americain 'the dumbest thing since the war on drugs and the Washington Nationals'. Good stuff.

Counterpoint. The sassy black TSA ladies in Ohare are hilarious to ride the train with. And I love when they call me sugar.