Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Haruka's chapter rules, I didn't like Saejima's much at all but this is the kind of dumb funny stuff I like. Loving the talk show segments/magazine interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's especially annoying considering that in the second half of her part you can walk into sky finance and use the closet, in addition to actually talking to and handing Akiyama several items, but not those sorts of items.

There was one key I got as haruka because i was SURE you wouldn't go in that room as akiyama. It was an item I needed to give to kamiya to unlock something.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Captain Novolin posted:

There was one key I got as haruka because i was SURE you wouldn't go in that room as akiyama. It was an item I needed to give to kamiya to unlock something.

and then you can't even use that item in a new game plus because you can only transfer her items in the post game bonus round thing

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Broseph Brostar posted:

and then you can't even use that item in a new game plus because you can only transfer her items in the post game bonus round thing

I'm pretty sure she gets included in the whole shared inventory thing in a premium new game. You are only screwed if you wanted to have those items in your first playthrough.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I really like Shinada. He's a fun personality.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ryuga Death posted:

He is a lot better than the boring cop from 4.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He is a lot better than the boring cop from 4.

Tanimura had the best combat in 4.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like that Shinada won't use baseball bats to hit people. Like, baseball is just too sacred, man.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Yakuza 0 to reach foreign shores in 2017 by the looks of it. With the insane amount of stuff coming 2016 that's okay. Saving my Yak5 play until the 2016 pre-Dark Souls 3 drought starts to sting.

Yakuza's healthy enough (even after the WiiU disaster) to get new games produced yaknow, with regular broadcasts at a fancy place with glamour models all over the joint and celeb guests. What I wonder is which age group it is the most popular with in Japan, its image and the PR all makes me think middle-age and up.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I managed to not touch the hostess stuff once besides the segment with Saiyama's prison time. It feels weird to not be the least bit curious, espicially how they did differant things like make it first person

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So I shouldn't pick up any locker keys at all as Haruka?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

He's still a literal prostitute critic in the English version right? They didn't obfuscate that somehow because of reasons?

Edit: especially that last conversation he has at the end of the game for him?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
When talking to the 17 year old he flat out refers to it as the sex industry.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Samurai Sanders posted:

He's still a literal prostitute critic in the English version right? They didn't obfuscate that somehow because of reasons?

Edit: especially that last conversation he has at the end of the game for him?

I'm assuming its completely uncensored because Milky promises him bareback sex.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm assuming its completely uncensored because Milky promises him bareback sex.
I think the Japanese went something like "Half an hour, anything you want, no rubber, on me" and he is like "Woo hoo!" and that's the literal end of his story.

Edit: completely unrelated to anything but I'm posting from an airplane over the top of the world between NYC and Tokyo and it feels like loving sorcery.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 29, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the Japanese went something like "Half an hour, anything you want, no rubber, on me" and he is like "Woo hoo!" and that's the literal end of his story.

Edit: completely unrelated to anything but I'm posting from an airplane over the top of the world between NYC and Tokyo and it feels like loving sorcery.

That's pretty much it verbatim in the English translation. It is completely unambiguous that Shinada makes his living writing reviews of prostitutes and whatnot.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

So I shouldn't pick up any locker keys at all as Haruka?

Some contain just plain old healing items, but a lot have cool items that she'll never be able to use, so it's not worth picking any up. Everywhere she can go, akiyama can go, so there's no reason not to wait for him to show up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Novolin posted:

Some contain just plain old healing items, but a lot have cool items that she'll never be able to use, so it's not worth picking any up. Everywhere she can go, akiyama can go, so there's no reason not to wait for him to show up.
...except for the dumb design decision that allows the player to gently caress themselves if they haven't read a guide before playing the game.

I mean I've been enjoying Yakuza 5 so far, but it seems to have more kinda bullshit design decisions than the previous installments.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

the locker key stuff was way worse in 4, where you could pick them all up with akiyama (i did) and then suddenly there's none for any of the other characters

E: wait there were a few in areas you unlocked with certain characters, but still, you could gently caress yourself there, too

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Novolin posted:

the locker key stuff was way worse in 4, where you could pick them all up with akiyama (i did) and then suddenly there's none for any of the other characters

E: wait there were a few in areas you unlocked with certain characters, but still, you could gently caress yourself there, too
Yeah, but there at least you have the final chapter in which everything is shared.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay, I have to know - is Running Girl based on a real thing? Maybe it's not being able to understand the voiceover but it is profoundly weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

Okay, I have to know - is Running Girl based on a real thing? Maybe it's not being able to understand the voiceover but it is profoundly weird.
Not that I know of but idols here are definitely asked to do all kinds of silly things on tv.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I was wondering how they were going to handle haruka's autograph sub story. It makes sense the way they localized it, but I still miss the option of half assing it and writing the fan's name in kana.

gently caress that kid at the end though I had to look his kanji up.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ryoga posted:

I was wondering how they were going to handle haruka's autograph sub story. It makes sense the way they localized it, but I still miss the option of half assing it and writing the fan's name in kana.

gently caress that kid at the end though I had to look his kanji up.

I figured that quest originally involved that kind of stuff. Glad to see I figured right.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Yechezkel posted:

Was Kiryu's section full of blurry textures all over the town for all of you? I thought the whole game would be like that, but Kamurocho's buildings were normal-looking.

Also, what the gently caress, Saejima punched out a motherfucking BEAR. :hellyeah: It's a good thing I grinded for experience and new skills in Kamurocho, or that battle would have been annoying.

For Yakuza 3, it was only the bars at Kamurocho and Okinawa where I could play darts. That and other than the PRONTO, everything else seems to be running fine but I am only up to the part where Kazuma Kiryu has a very heartfelt reunion with Majima :swoon:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i finally beat the video game

it was A Really Good Video Game

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's a fascinating thing when you can play a single-player game for 70 hours, and still have only barely more than half completion.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In comparison sake I'm roughly 70 hours and am at the end of Saejima with 30% because I try to do everything possible in a town before I leave.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm planning on doing every sub story (I skipped most of the hunting stuff but can go back later) but I don't think I could ever get myself to grind through eating every food at every restaurant or catching every fish.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Policenaut posted:

In comparison sake I'm roughly 70 hours and am at the end of Saejima with 30% because I try to do everything possible in a town before I leave.

How much of that was pachinko?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

You know what's difficult? Mastering comedic timing in a language you don't understand.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Policenaut posted:

Are you ever given a chance to go back to a town? I think I missed some stuff as Kazuma but I don't want to reload a save from 10 hours earlier.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Reo posted:

You know what's difficult? Mastering comedic timing in a language you don't understand.

I somehow managed to get an 80 on the second one of those last night after only 4 attempts, somehow. The first took me probably closer to 12.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Are you ever given a chance to go back to a town? I think I missed some stuff as Kazuma but I don't want to reload a save from 10 hours earlier.

Yep, final chapter works like the final chapter in 4, where you can freely switch between characters and take taxis to their respective cities.

Only catch is, you can't switch to Haruka until after you've beaten the game. You WILL get one last chance to wrap up her stuff toward the end, she has a very short visit to Kamurocho during which you can take the cab back and forth, but once that's done, you don't get a chance to play as her again until you beat the game. Also nothing she picks up gets added to the communal stash until, again, the post game.

General rule of thumb is, for the dudes, you'll get a chance before the post-game to freely wrap up any loose ends, but for Haruka, you've got her chapter and then one brief section in Kamurocho before she's no longer available. Also, don't pick up any locker keys as her, since her inventory won't be shared with the rest of the group until the post-game, so you won't be able to access any of those sweet weapons or items she collects.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I accidentally got two locker keys in Osaka as Haruka and decided what the hell, I'll see what's in those lockers.

One contained an item for Kamiyama I already had. The other contained a taser.

I don't regret my decision.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've gotten Kiryu up to level 20 and he no longer gains experience. But there are still abilities I haven't gotten. Do I earn soul points some other way down the road?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I've gotten Kiryu up to level 20 and he no longer gains experience. But there are still abilities I haven't gotten. Do I earn soul points some other way down the road?

You have to train with Komaki in Kamurocho. Eventually you'll unlock a shockingly difficult fight for all the characters, winning the fight increases the level cap to 25 for that character. But also fully upgrading the IF-8 game allows you to earn a soul point for every time you complete it, but that can get a little expensive at 10,000 yen per run.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Macaroni posted:

You can break the level cap late on. You probably have to have finished Kiryu's training first.

As Crappy Jack says, unlocking the level cap is a seriously hard fight. Except for Kiryu because there's nothing the Komaki Tiger Drop cannot fix. :v:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Should I hang on to some of the substories so that I can get those experience points later on then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As Crappy Jack says, unlocking the level cap is a seriously hard fight. Except for Kiryu because there's nothing the Komaki Tiger Drop cannot fix. :v:
Saejima also steamrolls the Komakis as long as he remains in heat mode. As for Akiyama and Shinada, the fight isn't anything 5 danger signs can't solve.

• Locked thread