Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Reading Angel Densetsu (or one chapter in particular) it's obvious Claymore started as an excuse to draw awesome monster designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter 24 of Sakamoto-kun is the final chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Chapter 24 of Sakamoto-kun is the final chapter.

Aww. Was he needed back on his homeworld?

Today is a good day for SDL manga.

Dagashi Kashi has no Hotaru today, however it's worth it for the sudden obsession with that ball-and-cup game.
Takkeo-Chan brings in a new character, a yokai hunter who kind of reminds me of Seiichiro Kitano from Legend of an Angel, mixed with a good helping of the dumb-yet-honest fellow from Love Roma (a good manga, you guys should read it!)
And finally another chapter of that maid-dragon manga someone linked once -- I think it was Captain Invictus?

I'm missing Seki-Kun, though. :( I hope someone picks it up, or the group gets back to scanlating it!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Twiddy posted:

This thread's predecessors have consistently produced the best manga and I look forward to whatever people think fits under the vague label of "Surreal Daily Life."

Yeah, Voynich Hotel is delightful. Thanks thread.

edit- i don't know if he counts but Juniji Itoh is one of my all-time favorite artists of any genre.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah, Voynich Hotel is delightful. Thanks thread.

edit- i don't know if he counts but Juniji Itoh is one of my all-time favorite artists of any genre.

His Cat manga is hilariously surreal, if only for the fact of completely ordinary life things being depicted 100% Junji Ito style.

I've been lax! I haven't posted all the neat stuff that've been uploaded since Christmas! Does anyone even follow Saiki Kusuo besides me??

PSI Saiki Kusuo - He hates Christmas!
Flying Witch! :3: The translation of the country accents is baffling until you read the note at the end where the translator said he tried to make them Scottish.
KURO
Dagashi Kashi - Wow, I kind of want to try this thing. Japan has such interesting, strange snacks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've got a new one for you guys. It's about a girl with a neck problem. It's cute, it's sweet, it's a little bit odd, it's--

She is a Rokurokubi*

*Long-necked Yokai

I like how everyone, including her, treats it as a matter of course. It's no big thing!!! :3:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 27, 2016

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Plus there's moments where horror-style art is used for a joke, if I'm not totally misremembering things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

His Cat manga is hilariously surreal, if only for the fact of completely ordinary life things being depicted 100% Junji Ito style.

I've been lax! I haven't posted all the neat stuff that've been uploaded since Christmas! Does anyone even follow Saiki Kusuo besides me??

PSI Saiki Kusuo - He hates Christmas!

Saiki Kusuo is released every week in WSJ, right? Which means translators are really far behind? (edit: Jesus it apparently has 15 volumes out in Japan, so it's super far behind in translations)

If so, it's a shame because that comic is hilarious and I also really like it.

edit: fuckin lol, that baby Kusuo

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 13, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Saiki Kusuo is released every week in WSJ, right? Which means translators are really far behind? (edit: Jesus it apparently has 15 volumes out in Japan, so it's super far behind in translations)

If so, it's a shame because that comic is hilarious and I also really like it.

edit: fuckin lol, that baby Kusuo

It's really a drat shame, even if every week it basically repeats the same theme kind of joke, it does it really well. Saiki vs. the World.

I think that scanlators ignore it because it doesn't have moé girls flashing their panties.

FH_Meta posted:

Plus there's moments where horror-style art is used for a joke, if I'm not totally misremembering things.

It's done super well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I've got a new one for you guys. It's about a girl with a neck problem. It's cute, it's sweet, it's a little bit odd, it's--

My Girlfriend is a Rokurobi*

*Long-necked Yokai

I like how everyone, including her, treats it as a matter of course. It's no big thing!!! :3:

This is the good poo poo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kumamiko: Girl Meets Bear
:japan:

EDIT:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 13, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

DrSunshine posted:

*Long-necked Yokai

Goddamn do I want more of this poo poo! :allears: It was amazing!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New (three days old) Flying Witch! yay
http://bato.to/reader#4d2bbfc0aeb47369

Beach episode.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

*Long-necked Yokai

this is good, but also, one of the horniest technically sfw things i've ever read

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sakamoto is getting an anime

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Sakamoto is getting an anime

He directed, animated and voiced it himself.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Rexides posted:

He directed, animated and voiced it himself.

Seki-kun beat him to it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Saiki got three movies, but he removed them from your mind because he was animated by Gonzo. :colbert:

Due to some poor life decisions on my part (all of it) I haven't actually been able to read much manga lately. I'm trying to make up for it by occasionally drowning the chat thread in Sayman drawings, but it's just not the same. :(
On the bright side, I did just find this so I figured I'd share the good stuff:

http://bato.to/reader#a031e0e312096edc

e: Wait, we are still the unofficial Dowman megathread, aren't we? Or should I post this stuff somewhere else now?

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 18, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jostiband posted:

Saiki got three movies, but he removed them from your mind because he was animated by Gonzo. :colbert:

Due to some poor life decisions on my part (all of it) I haven't actually been able to read much manga lately. I'm trying to make up for it by occasionally drowning the chat thread in Sayman drawings, but it's just not the same. :(
On the bright side, I did just find this so I figured I'd share the good stuff:

http://bato.to/reader#a031e0e312096edc

e: Wait, we are still the unofficial Dowman megathread, aren't we? Or should I post this stuff somewhere else now?

You can post it here, it's not a very active thread! There used to be a Dowman megathread but it died due to lack of frequent updates.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

experienceBeej posted:

Seki-kun beat him to it.

What happened to Seki-Kun by the way? Was dropped by scanlation groups?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Translators got too distracted and can't focus on their work.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What happened to Seki-Kun by the way? Was dropped by scanlation groups?

Yes, because it's being published in English.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Yes, because it's being published in English.

Yes! Imagine my surprise when, at Barnes & Noble, I saw a few slim volumes of Seki-kun (up to volume 5 I believe) on the shelves. I resolved to purchase a few as a sign of support and to enjoy! :3:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I hope this thread will become as good at getting things published as it is at spawning new threads. :unsmith:

DrSunshine posted:

You can post it here, it's not a very active thread! There used to be a Dowman megathread but it died due to lack of frequent updates.

Yeah, and aside from what I posted, I don't think there's been much output since Hana & Alice finished, so that's not changing anytime soon. I'm pretty much just saving character sketches from his twitter these past few months. That said, maybe he's just been really busy with planning his fun trip abroad!

Dowman Sayman's Twitter posted:

picture of airplane

picture of cathedral

picture of torture implements

picture of food

oh you... :allears:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I read all of Flying Witch over the last couple days and it's super cute and relaxing. Thanks thread.

Since I've run out of Flying Witch, I started on Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction. I suppose it counts as surreal daily life? In any case, it's really fantastic so far.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's also on hiatus.

again :cry:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

It's also on hiatus.

again :cry:

I really love that crazy drooling girl with the pigtails. :3: She's off in her own world, but I get the feeling she'll save them all. Incidentally I really need to read Asano's other things. I've heard Punpun was good, but that it was also kind of sad or depressing, and I'm not in a mood for that. How's Solanin?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Solanin is great, however it does deal with loss and grief so it might not be what you're looking for right now. And, unlike a lot of his other stuff, it doesn't have any odd or otherworldly twists to it. Nijigahara Holograph is also fantastic, and definitely has some Weird poo poo going on, but is very emotionally heavy . Both are easily purchasable. I haven't read Goodnight, Punpun yet, I might grab volume one now that it's out (or coming out soon, I forget)

Dude doesn't really do "happy" though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hyakumanjou-Labyrinth

Two QA testers find themselves trapped in something like the house of leaves/the penultimate episode of tatami galaxy, except they have fun with it.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
New Takagi-san? New Takagi-san.

I know it's not quite on topic, but it's in the OP, so it counts. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Antitonic posted:

New Takagi-san? New Takagi-san.

I know it's not quite on topic, but it's in the OP, so it counts. :colbert:

:iia:

I have been waiting so long for this!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A chapter of that weird manga about a girl walking to school each day

Her action movie-like overreactions (which I imagine like those scenes out of Nichijou) to every single social interaction is hilarious! She's like a hyperactive version of the Watamote girl.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I was just thinking whether or not I should post it. I really need to make sure I know what constitutes surreal, daily life for my own confidence's sake.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Antitonic posted:

I was just thinking whether or not I should post it. I really need to make sure I know what constitutes surreal, daily life for my own confidence's sake.

:justpost:

If you feel it's surreal and daily life, post it! Quirky comedies like ULTIMATE CUTIE TROLL MASTER Takagi-San also fit. If it has stuff like a character who's actually a robot, Freddy Mercury, and a gorilla, and people just roll with it like it's no big deal -- it fits! If it's about a ventriloquist with a human-sized puppet of a girl that everyone seems to accept as a high schooler -- it fits!! If it's a heartwarming tale of a girl and her cat and an invasion of Lovecraftian horrors from beyond our dimension, it surely fits!

Basically, I exclude Generic Moe 4 Girls Manga #14092. Everything else, if it has actual surreal elements, or is just a strange and quirky daily life comedy, is fair game!

EDIT: Speaking of Takagi-San, I just checked out the other manga that the author did, about the guy whose little sister is a jiang-shi. Oh my god. It's so bad. Why does it exist? Why do the freaking scanlators translate that instead of Takagi-san?? Just why??

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 27, 2016

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Speaking of Takagi-San, I just checked out the other manga that the author did, about the guy whose little sister is a jiang-shi. Oh my god. It's so bad. Why does it exist? Why do the freaking scanlators translate that instead of Takagi-san?? Just why??

Because moe imouto, onii-chan.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

DrSunshine posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We Await New Chapters With Bated Breath: Ongoing Works
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 1) Centaur's Worries Licensed!

Not only is it licensed, but the group that was scanslating it dropped it anyway. We're probably going to have to wait many, many months to read more of this. (Which makes the fact that it's objectively better than Monster Musume in every way hurt so much more.)

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Silentman0 posted:

Not only is it licensed, but the group that was scanslating it dropped it anyway. We're probably going to have to wait many, many months to read more of this. (Which makes the fact that it's objectively better than Monster Musume in every way hurt so much more.)
Bated. Breath.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twiddy posted:

Bated. Breath.

What, did you think it was baited? Bated is the correct spelling.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Serious Frolicking posted:

What, did you think it was baited? Bated is the correct spelling.
I'm bating my breath until the next fan translation of Centaur's Worries comes even if it kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

I'm bating my breath until the next fan translation of Centaur's Worries comes even if it kills me.

I'm gonna bait you into unbating your breath.