Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:wtc:

I would just turn and walk away from whatever that's posted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Just don't open your mouth while operating the equipment, obviously.

Good life advice in general, I suppose.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Splizwarf posted:

Just don't open your mouth while operating the equipment, obviously.

Good life advice in general, I suppose.

I think if they take time to make sure the silhouette is not only rendered as a cross section to better illustrate the common ejection path for rapidly expanding component rich exhaust, but screaming as well, might be time to read every loving word in that manual.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There's almost a little question mark at the point of The Event, as if to say you might want to know more about this.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I have no idea what that sign means but whatever it was posted on would have my complete attention.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Always make sure the objects have tapered bases or you gotta knock holes into them to thread a hook through for extraction :(

:catstare:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There's a picture with part of the warning text visible:

If I remember right this is a warning label about fume generation from welding.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Obviously it's "You touch this and your entire life goes awry."

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Dear god that's graphic.

Here's a cleaned up version and a vector/PDF in case anyone wants to make a horrifying T-Shirt or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

If I remember right this is a warning label about fume generation from welding.

Yeah, a reverse-GIS hit an imgur thread where that seems to be the consensus among serious answers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, a reverse-GIS hit an imgur thread where that seems to be the consensus among serious answers.

Good thought to image search. More GISing finds similar illustrations in slide shows about welding safety so I feel pretty good about calling it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's the raw emotion of abject horror captured in the stark simplicity of the facial features that keeps cracking me up

E:

Boat posted:

Dear god that's graphic.

Here's a cleaned up version and a vector/PDF in case anyone wants to make a horrifying T-Shirt or something.

Can you swap the font to say OH gently caress

Doesn't need to be exactly the same just something workable

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Always make sure the objects have tapered bases or you gotta knock holes into them to thread a hook through for extraction :(

you mean flared

muck about with objects with tapered bases and copies of the inevitable x-rays end up as bulletin board fodder for the ER breakroom

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Looks like this is the same basic image without the... Artifacts from being photocopied?

]

I've always been a fan of this one-

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Can you swap the font to say OH gently caress

Doesn't need to be exactly the same just something workable

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

glyph posted:

I've always been a fan of this one-

Less explosive, but I like the one you can see in many elevators around here.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Collateral Damage posted:

I laughed and cringed

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I think this would be funnier in lowercase, like some sort of Scandinavian designer went through it with an I (heart) Helvetica t-shirt on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I keep seeing the electrode bit as a record player needle.

"Caution: Metal is from Satan and will melt your guts and fling them all over the room." :black101:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Collateral Damage posted:

Someone made a game based around this warning sign:

http://www.linusakesson.net/games/klamrisk/index.php

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My favorite from my trucks manual:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Someone made a game based around this warning sign:

http://www.linusakesson.net/games/klamrisk/index.php

That is quite the game... wow. For any linux nerds on 64bit you have to do
code:
apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386
to get the 32bit version of the library.... If you're not on a debian based system you aren't a real person anyway.... end of linux sperg :v:

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

lovely quality but the customer said they have no idea how it happened.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boat posted:

Dear god that's graphic.

I'm surprised no one has recognized it yet. This is clearly the warning sign for an Intrinsic Field Subtractor:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Hang in there!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

chrisgt posted:

That is quite the game... wow. For any linux nerds on 64bit you have to do
code:
apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386
to get the 32bit version of the library.... If you're not on a debian based system you aren't a real person anyway.... end of linux sperg :v:

Ha Ha. When I read that above post mentioning a game my first though was "probably wouldn't work on linux" as I'm using a laptop running mint.
The second drat reply answers any thought I had.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/jTriOwS.webm

Only In A Jeep

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's more a horrible owner failure. The Jeep did exactly what he asked it to do. He just made the mistake of asking it to flex while it was tired, so it responded by laying down on its side for a nap. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GopherFlats posted:

Was that a battery :stare:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I hate myself for not having a decent phone to record this incident. But we got a 3rd LKQ motor in last saterday and were doing a leak down test on it cause duh #1 was great 90 +psi, same with 2 and 3. get to 4. not a loving thing. Blowing straight out of the exhaust. We can see through the manifold hole a rust ridge on the valve. Call over the machinist from the shop down the street to see if he feels like ripping the head apart that day cause again its for a Mazda that is the owners buddies. Motherfucker grabs a hammer and a brass punch and beats the poo poo out of the top of the valve. Viola! compression bumps up to 90. Engine runs fine. Apart from being started with a converter full of oil from the last engine and chalking up the shop and consequently the entire highway after we open all the doors up. Its a leased car so I guess it only has to make it another year or so. Set of complimentary winter tires to make the owner happy and all in all I think we actually made money off it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I've almost been there. Crawling up a section in L, start tipping so I flick the shifter quick trying to hit R but get D and give it a bunch of gas. Fortunately I didn't flop it. That time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yep, that's an easy one to do in an automatic. A friend rolled 3 times in his SAS'd Bronco II because of that, couldn't get it out of reverse (he was driving up a ledge in reverse, showing off, and one front tire dropped into a hole... back end came up, it was all over) in time. If he'd either had a not-janky shifter* or a manual that rig would still be wheeling today most likely.

* It was supposed to be a test run, he'd just finished building it and caging it. Got cocky and completely wrecked the thing on its first day out, the second roll was harsh and tweaked the whole frame and cab and caved in part of the top of the cage. Ended up pulling the axles/tires/suspension and scrapping the rest.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Was that a battery :stare:

Yeah, it was completely melted through on that one side. The best we can figure is that the angle iron hold down strap got energized somehow(either a short or somehow crossed the terminals with a wrench or something) and melted through it. It definitely didn't blow up because there was no case cracks or bulging.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

GopherFlats posted:

That looks like a friction melt from a rubbing tire or something, not an internal failure. Crazy.

e: oh yeah, is that part of a cable melted into the casing?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"I'll just pry this serpentine belt off of my alternator real quick before I change it out... wait, why can I do that by hand without any real trouble?"

oh

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Its why I always suggest a tensioner on older cars when doing anything involving the belt to cover my rear end.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^^ that's what I do with every belt job tensioner idler if only one and the belt. gently caress putting a belt on to have an idler or tensioner poo poo out a week later. But lucky for me my new boss doesn't like making the customer get what is needed. Just the broken part. Like the Honda civic he diagnosed before it even pulled into the shop. I'm his words "the lady said the wiper motor stopped so it's what we're replacing." The next day I pull the cover off to find one of the arms in the tranny poo poo the bed. And instead of replacing the whole tranny like I said he wants to only replace the broken arm.:suicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Preoptopus posted:

Its why I always suggest a tensioner on older cars when doing anything involving the belt to cover my rear end.

That bit me in the rear end myself. Didn't replace the tensioner when it shat out a belt, now anytime I hit a decent puddle the alternator light comes on. :doh:

Used a Dayco belt, so it's not like I went with a crappy belt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

buncha scrub rear end "modern car" owners in here relying on springs and whatnot for belt tension

my car uses bolt type tensioners and this is a good thing :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If your alternator isn't also a bolt-type belt tensioner then you don't understand the glory of multi-tasking brackets for the sake of packaging and engineering :japan: :911: