Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dodoman posted:

I used the about : config tweaks from this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3wxkqh/today_i_moved_back_to_firefox_use_64_bit_async/ to enable e10s. I guess that's why you can't recreate it.

It's not a huge issue, this is a hacky way to get it so I can't expect Firefox to play nicely with everything.

Yeah this falls into the unsupported configuration zone, sorry. If anyone else made those tweaks, the solution was posted in the Firefox thread - disable "layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled". That preference isn't even set to true on Dev Edition/Nightly versions.

Nalin posted:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Was away for Christmas.

UCP: http://imgur.com/aKdN3L1
SALR Forum Settings: http://imgur.com/vsVUti3

Is there anything else you need to see? The picture shows that threads are not being sorted by unread first, nor are they being colored according to the star color.

I get nothing in either the Web Console or the Browser Console.

I tried disabling all my addons except SALR and restarting. That didn't help. For reference, here are my installed addons:
* Flashblock
* Google Redirects Fixer
* Greasemonkey
* Nuke Anything Enhanced
* Status-4-Evar
* uBlock Origin (not blocking SA)

My laptop runs Firefox 43 and still works, which is why I was asking if anybody runs Firefox 44 Beta and noticed any issues.

I'm unable to reproduce this with a fresh Beta 44 profile. Based on the screenshot, though, it looks like SALR's stylesheet is being loaded properly, but the thread list handler is bombing out before it even processes anything, or maybe it isn't even being called at all. In SALR's general settings, please make sure "Don't display error popup messages" is unchecked if it wasn't already, then see if the Browser Console shows any new errors; they would show up in the JS or Logging category. Does the bookmarks list break too? What about forum thread lists? Or inside threads? Is there any change if you disable the thread sorting option for the bookmark list?

astral fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

astral posted:

I'm unable to reproduce this with a fresh Beta 44 profile. Based on the screenshot, though, it looks like SALR's stylesheet is being loaded properly, but the thread list handler is bombing out before it even processes anything, or maybe it isn't even being called at all. In SALR's general settings, please make sure "Don't display error popup messages" is unchecked if it wasn't already, then see if the Browser Console shows any new errors; they would show up in the JS or Logging category. Does the bookmarks list break too? What about forum thread lists? Is there any change if you disable the thread sorting option for the bookmark list?

I've unchecked "Don't display error popup messages". Nothing new pops up in the Browser Console. The bookmarks list breaks too. Same with forum thread lists. I tried with sorting on and off, as well as sorting stickied threads first. I tried turning on both the forum and thread navigator, but neither shows.

Is there some way I can nuke my SALR settings? Everything just seems incredibly broken. Or maybe there is a better way that I can help debug what is breaking? Maybe some sort of development addon?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oh wow, I think I might have figured out what is going on.

Tools > Add-ons > Experiments

Damnit Mozilla. Is there any way to verify that this is what is horribly breaking SALR?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

I've unchecked "Don't display error popup messages". Nothing new pops up in the Browser Console. The bookmarks list breaks too. Same with forum thread lists. I tried with sorting on and off, as well as sorting stickied threads first. I tried turning on both the forum and thread navigator, but neither shows.

Is there some way I can nuke my SALR settings? Everything just seems incredibly broken. Or maybe there is a better way that I can help debug what is breaking? Maybe some sort of development addon?

First step is to see if the problem happens with a clean Firefox profile. Make a new profile to test with, install SALR, log in to the forums, and see if things are still broken. If SALR works fine in the new profile, we can go back and try to narrow down if there's a preference or SALR database corruption or something causing the issue.

Nalin posted:

Oh wow, I think I might have figured out what is going on.

Tools > Add-ons > Experiments

Damnit Mozilla. Is there any way to verify that this is what is horribly breaking SALR?

It's possible that this is the cause - currently, SALR works fine with multi-process Firefox (tested in Dev Edition and Nightly) thanks to the compatibility shims, but those ought to be present in the beta. I'd give the fresh profile a try and see if things are still broken.

Side note: Full multi-process compatibility (i.e. not relying on the compatibility shims) is an ongoing project I've been working on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
SALR works fine on a new profile.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

SALR works fine on a new profile.

Alrighty, back in the old profile you can try opting out of the experiment to see if that does fix it; it's entirely possible the experiment is doing something weird. If there isn't an obvious way to opt out of it, you might have to disable Telemetry entirely in Firefox's options -> advanced -> data choices, then restart the browser.

If that doesn't solve it, for the next step you can navigate to your profile directory for your old/non-working profile; in there is a prefs.js file - this contains all preferences that aren't at the default setting. If you scroll down to the lines that start with:
code:
user_pref("extensions.salastread.
I can see if anything looks unusual if you paste those in a code block here.

We can also try to rule out database corruption - temporarily move your salastread.sqlite file out of the old/nonworking profile directory while Firefox isn't running, then launch Firefox again and see if things are still broken. If so, we can rule that out as a possible cause, and you can move it back where it was.

astral fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

astral posted:

Alrighty, back in the old profile you can try opting out of the experiment to see if that does fix it; it's entirely possible the experiment is doing something weird. If there isn't an obvious way to opt out of it, you might have to disable Telemetry entirely in Firefox's options -> advanced -> data choices, then restart the browser.
This did it. Turning off the experiment fixed it.

I saved the experiment xpi if you are interested. It enabled the following setting:
browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2

If you add that setting to your about :config and restart Firefox, it should break like how I saw it.

EDIT:
The experiment is e10s-enabled-beta-20151214@experiments.mozilla.org.xpi
Searching for the name yielded this bug report about it:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1229104

Nalin fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 29, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

This did it. Turning off the experiment fixed it.

I saved the experiment xpi if you are interested. It enabled the following setting:
browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2

If you add that setting to your about :config and restart Firefox, it should break like how I saw it.

EDIT:
The experiment is e10s-enabled-beta-20151214@experiments.mozilla.org.xpi
Searching for the name yielded this bug report about it:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1229104

Thanks for finding this! I'm not too worried about it overall since SALR has been working fine with multi-process enabled in Dev Edition (45) and Nightly (46), but I will look into why this setting breaks it. :)

edit: With some testing it looks like the compatibility shims might be missing from Beta, likely related to a lot of the multiprocess-related code (UI, etc) not being there either.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 29, 2015

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've just totally blown up and installed firefox, profile and all due to Issues - I could have sworn that SALR used to show unread posts numbers by the buttons.
What am I doing wrong?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

I've just totally blown up and installed firefox, profile and all due to Issues - I could have sworn that SALR used to show unread posts numbers by the buttons.
What am I doing wrong?

You can get forum-style unread post numbers by disabling the icon options at the bottom of SALR's forums preference pane.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 5, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It's a new round of beta-testing! I've been working for a while to make SALR properly multi-process aware. This is a pretty early beta; there are still a lot of optimizations left to do but the beta version should already run a lot faster in multi-process Firefox. Quick Quote window is still as slow as it was, but that will probably remain the case until it gets a proper rewrite.

The beta should work just fine when multi-process is disabled in Firefox, too; it needs testing in both of these cases so whichever mode your Firefox is in should be fine to test in. As mentioned, it's a pretty early beta so there might be some issues.

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread or stop by the web chat I just set up.

That said,
:siren:3.1.0 beta 2 of multi-process aware SALR is out.
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in 3.1.0 beta series:
  • Significantly improved multi-process Firefox compatibility and performance.

Here's a link to the latest release version, 3.0.2, in case you need to revert.

edit: updated link

astral fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 11, 2016

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Don't seem to be any issues in 43.0.4 single process.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:3.1.0 beta 2 of multi-process aware SALR is out (see this post for more info about the beta).
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in 3.1.0 beta 2:
  • Fixed user poster notes not showing up in threads.

New in 3.1.0 beta 1 posted:

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread or stop by the web chat.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:3.1.0 beta 3 of multi-process aware SALR is out (see this post for more info about the beta).

New in 3.1.0 beta 3:
  • Slightly improved SALR start time (switched to I/O efficient off-main-thread loading of saved forum list XML file).
    • This affected how we build SALR's menus (menubar menu + toolbar button menu), so please report if you run into any weirdness there.
  • Removed click-to-embed gifv support since the forums are auto-embedding them. :)

New in 3.1.0 beta posted:

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread or stop by the web chat.

astral fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 13, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Can SALR add something to de-embed WEBM links and just have them show as regular links, and turn off the tweet embedding/make the embeds just show the tweet text? I'm finding these two changes made to the forums today kinda annoying.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

Can SALR add something to de-embed WEBM links and just have them show as regular links, and turn off the tweet embedding/make the embeds just show the tweet text? I'm finding these two changes made to the forums today kinda annoying.

Native forums WebM embedding has already been removed. Twitter videos don't autoplay.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

For the short term, you can just force a refresh if you haven't yet; the webm/gifv stuff was commented out of the forums JS earlier today. Twitter stuff can be blocked by enabling Firefox's Tracking Protection (or blocking calls to api.twitter.com from the forums, if you're using an addon that allows it like ublock Origin [in advanced mode] or uMatrix).

For the long term, I'm hoping the gifv/webm stuff was disabled so they can improve things - it sounded like WebMs were autoplaying too instead of being click-to-play. We'll see how things go.

e: Looks like the gifv embeds are back.

astral fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 13, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:3.1.0 beta 4 of multi-process aware SALR is out (see this post for more info about the beta).

New in 3.1.0 beta 4:
  • Improved multi-process compatibility of SALR's context menu items (ignoring/starring threads). Please report if you find any issues with them.
  • Removed click-to-embed webm support since the forums are auto-embedding them, too.

• Slightly improved SALR start time (switched to I/O efficient off-main-thread loading of saved forum list XML file).
    • This affected how we build SALR's menus (menubar menu + toolbar button menu), so please report if you run into any weirdness there.
  • Removed click-to-embed gifv support since the forums are auto-embedding them. :)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm not sure where else to post this but Firefox has started acting weird on me in Firefox. I have SALR installed. I suddenly get logged out of SA and when I click to log in, it does not register and it still shows me as being logged out. I used history to forget about this site, which worked for a while but now that doesn't even work. This has happened before on metafilter.com but forget site usually works.

I've already deleted cookies.sqlite in my profile folder and restarted Firefox. No effect.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm not sure where else to post this but Firefox has started acting weird on me in Firefox. I have SALR installed. I suddenly get logged out of SA and when I click to log in, it does not register and it still shows me as being logged out. I used history to forget about this site, which worked for a while but now that doesn't even work. This has happened before on metafilter.com but forget site usually works.

I've already deleted cookies.sqlite in my profile folder and restarted Firefox. No effect.

I'd suggest trying a new Firefox profile: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles and seeing if the problem still happens.

You could also try asking in the Firefox thread.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Any chance we can get the gifv/webm's embedded by the forums to obey the "convert images to links in read posts" rule somehow? It'd really help on low powered machines, but I have no idea how hard it is to fight the forum's code.

On one level I'd just want the old click to embed behaviour back, but you seemed so glad to be able to drop it, so whatever.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this is a bug because I hosed with about :config for x64 support or not but pages will move up to the last posted tweet/gifv/webm instead of the last post.

This page from the DnD Middle East thread is a prime example, it always go to the post by Comrade Kane which quotes a tweet from the previous page.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Any chance we can get the gifv/webm's embedded by the forums to obey the "convert images to links in read posts" rule somehow? It'd really help on low powered machines, but I have no idea how hard it is to fight the forum's code.

On one level I'd just want the old click to embed behaviour back, but you seemed so glad to be able to drop it, so whatever.

ZDR is still working on the forum-side version, so I'm going to wait until that's more or less done before trying to interact with it. Here's a relevant post:

zen death robot posted:

Not yet. I'm working on the options and tuning the stuff, I basically hacked the whole thing in to see if it would even work. Ideally it would be a bit more fleshed out before dropping it live but people really had been wanting this sort of stuff for a long time now and at least this way I get some much-needed feedback while I work to finish it off.

At worst, I expect there will be an option to disable the forum-side embeds completely, which would let SALR re-add the click-to-embedding stuff. At best, there could be some useful options on the forum side! It's an exciting time when the forums are getting new features; that's what I'm glad about. :)

Dodoman posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug because I hosed with about :config for x64 support or not but pages will move up to the last posted tweet/gifv/webm instead of the last post.

This page from the DnD Middle East thread is a prime example, it always go to the post by Comrade Kane which quotes a tweet from the previous page.

This was from the forum-side embeds and might already be improved/fixed:

zen death robot posted:

I tweaked the anchoring thing a bit and it should be better now, but it's not perfect. You might have to Shift-F5 to force reload everything that's cached to make it take effect.

Large tweets with videos seems to cause it to jump the most.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:3.1.0 beta 5 of multi-process aware SALR is out (see this post for more info about the beta).

New in 3.1.0 beta 5:
  • Fixed SALR Menu pin helper not auto-switching to the menus pane
  • Fixed a bug with + improved performance and error checking of updating internal forum list (used in SALR's menu) from SA pages.

• Removed click-to-embed gifv and webm support since the forums are auto-embedding them.
  • Improved multi-process compatibility of SALR's context menu items (ignoring/starring threads). Please report if you find any issues with them.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

ZDR is still working on the forum-side version, so I'm going to wait until that's more or less done before trying to interact with it.
That makes a lot of sense. I didn't know they were still messing with it; thanks for digging up that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

New thread can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760555

• Locked thread