Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh that won't be hard, the original did not have many highs. It was usually serviceable and that is were it stayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

jivjov posted:

Masako Nozawa is a perfectly fine voice actress.

I've gotten used to her by now, so now I just feel sorry for her. They are never going to let that lady rest, are they?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jivjov posted:

Masako Nozawa is a perfectly fine voice actress.

Yeah, when she's voicing Dr. Kureha and not grown rear end men and their grown rear end sons

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Momomo posted:

Nobody is saying Super has higher highs than Z. In fact I don't even know what the high of Super would really be, since we can only compare it to the movies right now. Quality wise only episode 5 (Goku vs Beerus on King Kai's planet) has been the worst by far, with everything else being mediocre. People say 24 was holy poo poo awful but... I'm not sure what show they watched. It wasn't good but to place it with ep 5 is just plain weird.

Highs... wasn't there a fight from some weird alien caveman champion hero character on another planet against, oh let's say Beerus, on one of the early episodes, like 1 or 2 or 3 that was animated fairly well? At least, better than the Super norm.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

jivjov posted:

Is it really a "dub" when it's the original recording in language of origin?

:thejoke:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Highs... wasn't there a fight from some weird alien caveman champion hero character on another planet against, oh let's say Beerus, on one of the early episodes, like 1 or 2 or 3 that was animated fairly well? At least, better than the Super norm.

yeah that owned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Baal posted:

Yeah, when she's voicing Dr. Kureha and not grown rear end men and their grown rear end sons

She does a great job with Goku and Gohan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fine with her, I prefer the American versions, but she does a good job considering everything.

Her as Bardock was the worst possible idea though. Just the dumbest.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

I'm fine with her, I prefer the American versions, but she does a good job considering everything.

Her as Bardock was the worst possible idea though. Just the dumbest.

But Japan will sink into the ocean if any character related to Goku doesn't have her voice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Did she voice Turles too?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gildiss posted:

But Japan will sink into the ocean if any character related to Goku doesn't have her voice.

Does it mean the end of Dragonball when she dies?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does it mean the end of Dragonball when she dies?

At the rate Dragon Ball has been going lately, that might be for the better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gildiss posted:

I'm willing to accept this consequence

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jivjov posted:

She does a great job with Goku and Gohan.

As far as an 80 year old woman and being bad at voicing grown men go, yeah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not that she was any better whenever I was 14 and randomly turned on JP voices on one of the tenkaichi games and heard her then, it was still p gross at that point too but hey

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who would people want to replace her as Goku's Japan voice actor/actress that wouldn't basically completely change the feel and tone of the character? I mean I can't say I wouldn't enjoy Koyasu's take on Goku but it probably wouldn't really fit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure there's more than one person in Japan who can imitate Nozawa's voice which is probably who they'll get after she dies or if she decides to stop voicing the character soon. I mean they got someone for Doraemon after Oyama quit voicing the character, I doubt anyone's going to consider Goku's character and personality changed should Nozawa leave because the replacement will more than likely keep the same spirit.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 29, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'd like to announce that I'm learning japanese so that I can become the next Voice of Goku

I'm thinking he should have like a jersey accent but, you know, in japanese

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bringing an expert impersonator in to replace her to retain Goku's iconic voice, regardless of whether you like it, it is one, isn't going to fix any issues people have with the Japanese voicing. Different granny, still a granny.

People who dislike Nozawa probably want him to sound manly but that creates a disconnect to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not going to fix it, I'm mostly just curious how they plan to handle Nozawa stopping at all. I don't really care about that being the voice of a character thing, since that's been broken a lot by now even in JP voice acting, that being said I don't know if anyone's been at it as long as she has, lady's a star after all.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

People who dislike Nozawa probably want him to sound manly but that creates a disconnect to me.

I mean it's gonna create a disconnect considering it's a completely different tone of voice, of course. Unless you mean manly in the sense he should sound like he's a super badass, but I agree you don't need to grab that kind of voice for Goku. There doesn't need to be an extreme though, there are goony voices out there you can have men voice and it doesn't need to be boring. I'd say you can get someone like Yuichi Nakamura or even Makoto Furukawa, but that's just off the top of my head. It's an interesting thing to contemplate, for sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know about "badass" per se, but to me, Goku only really works with the playful voice. I don't think that Sean Schemmel even does a bad job, but he's still more adult than Goku is to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Goku's a lot of things, tbh. He has to be this giant dork, but he's gotta also mix that in with being serious martial arts man sometimes and I think Schemmel does a pretty good job of capturing both. It might come down to a bias thing though as DBZ as a series is definitely one where childhood nostalgia can influence your opinion a lot more than you'd think, well for me anyways. I don't even really dislike Nozawa's Goku, I've gotten used to it by now, but Schemmel captures more than just the sort of goofier aspects of the character to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno who did Spanish Goku in the Spanish RoF dub, but that person was a really fun take on the character IMO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, all of RoF in Spanish is on youtube, amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cjCBvPFS0I

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I think most people (who didn't grow up with Goku's JP voice) can agree that Goku's granny voice is really weird and really doesn't fit. Like I can understand the nostalgia factor playing in and stuff, but drat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorite voice for Goku will always be Stephanie Nadolny who did Kid Goku in Funi's Dragon Ball dub.

It's a real dick move on Funi's part that they never even contacted her about Kai.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

It might come down to a bias thing though as DBZ as a series is definitely one where childhood nostalgia can influence your opinion a lot more than you'd think, well for me anyways.

I reckon that's certainly true and a part of why I like Super flaws and all but like most, I grew up with Schemmel/English dubs and I started a rewatch of it all in Japanese at some point in my adult life and haven't really been able to stand much of the English dub since that point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite voice for Goku will always be Stephanie Nadolny who did Kid Goku in Funi's Dragon Ball dub.

It's a real dick move on Funi's part that they never even contacted her about Kai.

Even as someone who grew up with the anime, I've never liked Stephanie Nadolny's voice and Colleen Clinkenbeard is definitely a much more natural voice.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I reckon that's certainly true and a part of why I like Super flaws and all but like most, I grew up with Schemmel/English dubs and I started a rewatch of it all in Japanese at some point in my adult life and haven't really been able to stand much of the English dub since that point.

I mean, I think I can objectively piece together why I like certain voices now, because I can tell you I sure as hell prefer Chris Ayres' Freeza to Genkai Freeza. The series in general has just had better english voice acting as of like the past decade.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Baal posted:

Holy poo poo, all of RoF in Spanish is on youtube, amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cjCBvPFS0I

Spanish Frieza owns too, now that I'm looking at this again.

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't even imagine Kid Goku without her voice. I like the new actress for the younger incarnations of Gohan, but Nadolny will be always be Kid Goku to me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I like kid goku's VA in Dragon Ball as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WickedHate posted:

At the rate Dragon Ball has been going lately, that might be for the better.

i cant believe i'm agreeing with wickedhate...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Maybe it is a sign that you are in the wrong on this one. Or that a broken clock can be right twice a day, whichever you find more likely and comfortable to accept.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Take a step back and realize you're agreeing with someone who thinks newer Dragon Ball is poo poo because every villain isn't Broly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm ok with just waiting on super and reading the cliff notes version that is the manga

also I beat xenoverse and, while I liked it, I'm not sure I could call it good. I think there's a much better game in there somewhere and am hopeful for xenoverse 2. they should cut down the random bullshit a little. I don't see why the masters need to randomly appear, for starters

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm ok with just waiting on super and reading the cliff notes version that is the manga

also I beat xenoverse and, while I liked it, I'm not sure I could call it good. I think there's a much better game in there somewhere and am hopeful for xenoverse 2. they should cut down the random bullshit a little. I don't see why the masters need to randomly appear, for starters

That is something everybody agrees with, yeah. Personally I still think Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on Wii was a better game, but Xenoverse does get a gold star for being a PC Dragon ball game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aurora posted:

Take a step back and realize you're agreeing with someone who thinks newer Dragon Ball is poo poo because every villain isn't Broly

I can't tell how much you're purposefully exaggerating and so if I should correct you or not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4a9KrtamIs

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The guy who does Goku in DBZA is my ideal Goku. I mean that in all seriousness.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Raxivace posted:

I can't even imagine Kid Goku without her voice. I like the new actress for the younger incarnations of Gohan, but Nadolny will be always be Kid Goku to me.

:agreed:

And RIP Goten and Trunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Abridged Goku is the first voice that comes to mind when I think of English Goku nowadays.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 29, 2015

• Locked thread