Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

Lightning is just female Cloud

I mean comeon

so does that make dante male cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Would you say it's inferior to NieR and Lightning Returns? Those are my RPGs for January. I'll get RoF later sometime if it's not as good.

NieR has the best plot but the gameplay is strictly average. LR has really fun gameplay but a hilariously dumb plot. RoF is kind of in-between.

That said you buy RoF for like $5 these days.

The White Dragon posted:

so does that make dante male cloud

A dorky young guy who really wants to be super cool, wields an improbably large sword, gets impaled and pulls himself off the blade, and tries to make 'cool' quips which actually suck and people make fun of him for?

Sounds about right.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning is Lightning

Cloud is Cloud

Squall is Leon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Squall is Maybe A Lion

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Baal posted:

Lightning is Lightning

Cloud is Cloud

Squall is Leon

Lightning is Clair. I really wish someone at Square remembered that.

Actually, does anybody call her Clair in LR? 'cuz it was kind of a big deal in XIII when her real name was revealed and Lightning was sort of a mask she didn't have to wear anymore I thought.

ImpAtom posted:

NieR has the best plot but the gameplay is strictly average. LR has really fun gameplay but a hilariously dumb plot. RoF is kind of in-between.

That said you buy RoF for like $5 these days.

Fair enough, thank you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning stopped being Clair when she had to raise Serah

That's like calling Lady from DMC3 Mary because her name was Mary despite the fact only one character knows her with that name

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Lightning is Clair. I really wish someone at Square remembered that.

Actually, does anybody call her Clair in LR? 'cuz it was kind of a big deal in XIII when her real name was revealed and Lightning was sort of a mask she didn't have to wear anymore I thought.

Fair enough, thank you.

No, they all call her Light instead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eclaire Farron

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Baal posted:

Eclaire Farron

Clair Farron is fair on eclairs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Baal posted:

Eclaire Farron

It's French for eclair!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The world map in Dissidia 012 is cool because once you get to the extra-hard post-game story mode it becomes an open-ended dungeon crawler with comically overpowered boss enemies sprinkled throughout.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like how there's a treasure chest in each campaign that gives you the year the character's game came out in gil.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Phantasium posted:

I like how there's a treasure chest in each campaign that gives you the year the character's game came out in gil.

How the gently caress did I never put that together :psyduck:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

The world map in Dissidia 012 is cool because once you get to the extra-hard post-game story mode it becomes an open-ended dungeon crawler with comically overpowered boss enemies sprinkled throughout.

I refuse to believe any sane person beat the post-game boss without abusing that really broken accessory combo that let's you beat any level 100 character at level 1.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

It's French for eclair!

"Chocolate" Eclair Farron, Sergeant of the Cocoon Guardian Corps reporting for duty.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

bloodychill posted:

"Chocolate" Eclair Farron, Sergeant of the Cocoon Guardian Corps reporting for duty.

:(

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

bloodychill posted:

What a good contribution to this Final Fantasy thread.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

I refuse to believe any sane person beat the post-game boss without abusing that really broken accessory combo that let's you beat any level 100 character at level 1.

I sure as hell never claimed to be sane. :shepface:

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Quick question for anyone who's got FF7 on Steam, before I drop a whole six dollars on it: is there any way to remap the keys, or can I configure a Dualshock 3 to work with it somehow? My first time playing this game was on the original PC port long ago, and while I don't remember the keyboard controls being too bad, I remember enough that I'd prefer to avoid repeating the experience if possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Solovey posted:

Quick question for anyone who's got FF7 on Steam, before I drop a whole six dollars on it: is there any way to remap the keys, or can I configure a Dualshock 3 to work with it somehow? My first time playing this game was on the original PC port long ago, and while I don't remember the keyboard controls being too bad, I remember enough that I'd prefer to avoid repeating the experience if possible.

Keys can be freely remapped and you can configure controllers, it might not work with some specific controllers, worst case scenario you use joy2key or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been playing FFT for the 4th(?) time on my iPhone thanks to the sale. I'm going to beat this piece of crap this time, but good lord it isn't making it easy. Other than the plot I'm beginning to think I dislike it more than FFIII.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Zaphod42 posted:

Keys can be freely remapped and you can configure controllers, it might not work with some specific controllers, worst case scenario you use joy2key or whatever.

Good to know, thanks!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Been playing FFT for the 4th(?) time on my iPhone thanks to the sale. I'm going to beat this piece of crap this time, but good lord it isn't making it easy. Other than the plot I'm beginning to think I dislike it more than FFIII.

:( Man, that's my number one game in the franchise. What's making it rough?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

If FFT isn't being easy for you then you need to embrace the power of Math. :eng101:

Thought if you don't want to use Math to wipe out fights in a single round, another powerful setup is to get Two Swords on a Monk and have Ramza Cheer/Scream him to 94-96 Brave while a mediator (or several) lower his faith to about 3, which makes them hit like a truck while also being more or less immune to magic. Toss on MP Switch and Move MP-UP, or a Chantage later on if the monk's female, and they can waltz around murdering most/all enemies. Though just a high brave, low faith monk is deadly enough to carry you pretty hard until you get your first game-breaker Mustadio and his snipe abilities to lock down people at range and then once you get Agrias and all her wonderful Holy Sword capabilities you should be in a solid position to plow through most enemies. Ramza as a monk or dragoon is good too. If you can tame a bull demon then eventually you'll get a Sacred, which you can poach and its common poach item is a Holy Lance, which will let your dragoon deal plenty of damage basically forever.

Challenge/Grind option: Spend awhile (hours) grinding out the requirements for Dark Knight on Ramza and recruit a Treant(?) as soon as you see one, then let it breed until you get one (or more) of the rarest tree-type unit. Then poach it. Save-scum until you get the rare option in the shop (Defender) and that sword can last the entire game (though there are many, and better, weapons). When I got the iOS version I decided to make Ramza in to a Dark Knight and also recruited a treant in the story battle where they show up early (chapter 2?) which let me get the rare unit bred by the time the fur shop became available. Once I got the Defender it gave Ramza a nice damage boost and alet him murder even harder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

:( Man, that's my number one game in the franchise. What's making it rough?

So very, very many things. Encounters tend to be designed to be as stacked against you in terrain as possible, misleading if not outright lying formation set-up screens, enemies are always roughly equivalent to you making progression feel incredible slog-like, AI-controlled partners being actively detrimental to your attempts to win a fight, and various boss fights being absurd in how much AoE damage they let enemies dish out.

It feels more like a series of turn-based games of rocket tag than anything approaching strategy, especially when most fights I've gotten stuck on the winning strategy is "exploit harder so that you can win in a damage race"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 29, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
My girlfriend and I broke up tonight, so...

Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy IX?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Um...if you're particularly broken up about it, FFIX. The mood is pretty cheery what with the fun music and character designs and comedy.

Otherwise, FFVII. 'cuz it's more fun to play, IMO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Final Fantasy VIII

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

Final Fantasy VIII

Now we're speaking my language

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

So very, very many things. Encounters tend to be designed to be as stacked against you in terrain as possible, misleading if not outright lying formation set-up screens, enemies are always roughly equivalent to you making progression feel incredible slog-like, AI-controlled partners being actively detrimental to your attempts to win a fight, and various boss fights being absurd in how much AoE damage they let enemies dish out.

It feels more like a series of turn-based games of rocket tag than anything approaching strategy, especially when most fights I've gotten stuck on the winning strategy is "exploit harder so that you can win in a damage race"

Other than the learning curve and a couple story battles that are difficulty spikes for when they appear, FFT is not a particularly hard game.

I mean, early game Wizards are OP, dual wield Monks/martial arts Ninjas are OP, Draw Out on Wizards is OP, Blade Grade is OP, being able to manipulate Brave & Faith is OP, Math is loving getouttahere, Orlando is OP (Agrias once knightswords appear is too), Balthier is OP. This isn't even a completely comprehensive list of things the player can use better than the AI can.

Anyways, I think that people struggling with FFT usually do so because they are struggling to understand the game's systems, combat mechanics, and AI (which, incidentally, is deterministic and easily manipulated).

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 29, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Agrias is way better than Orlandeau. Most of what makes Orlandeau so good is the sword he brings with him. Agrias can equip that sword AND all the overpowered female-only equipment.

Barudak posted:

Here's a post I made in another thread:

Fister Roboto posted:

They key to steamrolling the game is to exploit zodiac compatibility. Make Ramza something that has good compatibility with Virgo, because nearly every boss in the game is a Virgo. Ditch your starting soldiers and hire two females with good faith scores and good compatibility with themselves and Ramza. That way you can make them into mages that can buff, heal, and raise each other with 100% accuracy.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

They key to steamrolling the game is to exploit zodiac compatibility. Make Ramza something that has good compatibility with Virgo, because nearly every boss in the game is a Virgo. Ditch your starting soldiers and hire two females with good faith scores and good compatibility with themselves and Ramza. That way you can make them into mages that can buff, heal, and raise each other with 100% accuracy.

I prefer Capricorn Ramza, Taurus male generic, one each of Scorpio and Cancer female generic, and a backup male of either Capricorn or Taurus. Has good-to-neutral compat with lots of unique characters and bosses. Good intra-party zodiacs mean buffs and rezzes work almost every time and heals are extra effective.

fount of knowledge posted:

Instructions unclear, accidentally summoned Serpentarius and he's eating all my chips. :saddowns:

Well, could always use an editor to make everyone Serpentarius. At least, I think that doesn't break anything.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 29, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Corvinus posted:

I prefer Capricorn Ramza, Taurus male generic, one each of Scorpio and Cancer female generic, and a backup male of either Capricorn or Taurus. Has good-to-neutral compat with lots of unique characters and bosses.

Instructions unclear, accidentally summoned Serpentarius and he's eating all my chips. :saddowns:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

I can think of few games that have such a difference in difficulty between when you know how the game works and when you don't. There are a million ways to break the difficulty in FFT, but if you don't know about them, the game can seem unrelentingly difficult. How far did you get? Honestly the game has an inverse difficulty curve- it's hardest in chapters 1 and 2, and then gets easier from there as you get better characters and unlock more abilities.

Do you at least know how Brave and Faith work, and that ever 4 points they change in battle, they change by 1 permanent point? That's an important first step to breaking the game in a lot of ways.

Corvinus posted:

I mean, early game Wizards are OP, dual wield Monks/martial arts Ninjas are OP, Draw Out on Wizards is OP, Blade Grade is OP, being able to manipulate Brave & Faith is OP, Math is loving getouttahere, Orlando is OP (Agrias once knightswords appear is too), Balthier is OP. This isn't even a completely comprehensive list of things the player can use better than the AI can.

Oh oh, how about sending in one unit with a vanish item to sit in a corner, and a female unit with Chantage, a Ribbon, and maintenance to kill everything. It's virtually impossible to lose with that setup.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean to be fair the wiegraf fight -is- complete bullshit

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh oh, how about sending in one unit with a vanish item to sit in a corner, and a female unit with Chantage, a Ribbon, and maintenance to kill everything. It's virtually impossible to lose with that setup.

poo poo, it's been so long since I've played any version of FFT that wasn't 1.3 that I'm starting to forget vanilla things; seriously, I haven't used Move-MP up and MP-Switch to survive 999 damage hits on 1 MP in years.

voltcatfish posted:

I mean to be fair the wiegraf fight -is- complete bullshit

I couldn't remember what he's like in vanilla, but he's actually not immune to Don't Act/Move, Blind, Silence or Slow. Immune to Don't Act/Move in CH3, though.

Now that I remember, status effects are amazing in FFT. Almost nothing in the game is fully immune to every useful status and Sleep is both long-lasting and AoE in some skillsets. A couple characters running around applying status to the AI can gently caress them up.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 29, 2015

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I can think of few games that have such a difference in difficulty between when you know how the game works and when you don't. There are a million ways to break the difficulty in FFT, but if you don't know about them, the game can seem unrelentingly difficult. How far did you get? Honestly the game has an inverse difficulty curve- it's hardest in chapters 1 and 2, and then gets easier from there as you get better characters and unlock more abilities.

Do you at least know how Brave and Faith work, and that ever 4 points they change in battle, they change by 1 permanent point? That's an important first step to breaking the game in a lot of ways.

I've got how Brave and Faith work, I've been putting off grinding it out since it involved a lot of tedium in random battles. To be fair, other than the poaching mechanic, which it turns out can't be used till Chapter 3, I feel like I've got how one can break the game wide-open, I've just been trying to avoid spending the time to do so. Ok, didn't grasp the Zodiac system, that poo poo is crazy.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, yall, because I finally hit the Wiegraf in Riovanes Castle fight for the first time and it was more bullshit than I think I could have imagined, so I'm going to go back and do a shitload of grinding and whatever esoteric poaching and item finding can be done. Boy howdy game I am done with your poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BottledBodhisvata posted:

FFVI.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If FFT isn't being easy for you then you need to embrace the power of Math. :eng101:

Thought if you don't want to use Math to wipe out fights in a single round, another powerful setup is to get Two Swords on a Monk and have Ramza Cheer/Scream him to 94-96 Brave while a mediator (or several) lower his faith to about 3, which makes them hit like a truck while also being more or less immune to magic. Toss on MP Switch and Move MP-UP, or a Chantage later on if the monk's female, and they can waltz around murdering most/all enemies. Though just a high brave, low faith monk is deadly enough to carry you pretty hard until you get your first game-breaker Mustadio and his snipe abilities to lock down people at range and then once you get Agrias and all her wonderful Holy Sword capabilities you should be in a solid position to plow through most enemies. Ramza as a monk or dragoon is good too. If you can tame a bull demon then eventually you'll get a Sacred, which you can poach and its common poach item is a Holy Lance, which will let your dragoon deal plenty of damage basically forever.

Challenge/Grind option: Spend awhile (hours) grinding out the requirements for Dark Knight on Ramza and recruit a Treant(?) as soon as you see one, then let it breed until you get one (or more) of the rarest tree-type unit. Then poach it. Save-scum until you get the rare option in the shop (Defender) and that sword can last the entire game (though there are many, and better, weapons). When I got the iOS version I decided to make Ramza in to a Dark Knight and also recruited a treant in the story battle where they show up early (chapter 2?) which let me get the rare unit bred by the time the fur shop became available. Once I got the Defender it gave Ramza a nice damage boost and alet him murder even harder.

Don't forget to give your two-swords god-monk the Samurai skill "Blade Grasp" for true OP hilarity, literally untouchable except by magic and oh yeah they're pretty much immune to that too.

Once you've got Monk/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon skills on a single character you're a god of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Raiden was the initial comparison and I merely amended the analogy to Dante, who I hate. And who I will always hate because clearly I 'm bigot full of irrational hatred. I just never saw any of this "endearing goofiness" you guys did. I saw big, flashy cutscenes that I'm sure Capcom included for a reason. Big,flashy sword fights between bishie anime characters are usually, ya know, included so you think the fighters are oh so cool. As for jumping on rockets, see how well that worked out for Solid Snake. It didn't make him any cooler, that's for sure.

To bring things back home to FF, what about the Laughing Scene? We've all explained time and time again that it was intentionally that way. But does that make people hate it less? No. I'm afraid it's that way with me and Dante. I understand what you're saying Imp and maybe if I ever beat all other video games on Earth I'll replay DMC3 with this mindset but I still hate him.

In the post-Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 world, it's rare to see a person who will pick up a game because it's tri-Ace. And I don't even hate SO4, I'm just saying it's a surprising motive.

Also XIII-2 is tri-Ace, as noted.

Not to dredge this up again, but I'm just curious, about Solid Snake jumping on rockets. I don't remember that