Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Phuzun posted:

I haven't tried any mods in AC, are the cars pretty generic or does they actually seem like faithful reproductions? I imagine they must use the Lotus 125 settings or am I missing how they do this?

Usually modders use the publicly released information to build the car's physics, on old race cars and road cars this is super easy, more modern stuff there's less to work with but usually enough to get to where no-one using the mod would know the difference. It's not just ripping one car's physics and putting them in a different shell though. At least that's how I think it works, I'd recommend watching Niels' Talk and Drive videos as he's probably talked about it a lot more. Niels was a very celebrated modder (the NSX in rFactor 2 is his mod) and now does the physics for Stock Car Extreme.

E: ISI HAVE RELEASED AN ICE CREAM VAN FOR RF2

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I got gifted Project CARS on Steam by someone for Christmas before Steam went mental, its... not that good.

The thing I'm most disappointed by is the AI: its somehow worse than Assetto Corsa's. It has the opposite problem: that one isn't aggressive enough (although its much better now, its still not great) while Project CARS is far, far too aggressive. I started the career mode in the karts (which aren't as good as those in rFactor 2 or SCE, although I can't tell why) and in some of the races I had to restart them several times because the AI would ram me off the track: or randomly brake miles before the braking zone and so we'd both go off into the wall. I've also experienced them overtaking me by cutting the track, or after overtaking coming back onto the racing line and then seeming to brake . It might get better with the bigger cars; but I'm not entirely convinced and don't really want to try. Right now it feels like a bad rFactor mod and that's not a fun experience.

Why hasn't there ever been a good career mode in a sim racing game? Project CARS is the closest that we seem to have but it isn't all the way there; mostly because of things like there being no differences between teams, so there's no reasons to choose certain teams over others. From what I've seen of NASCAR Dirt to Daytona that looks like the sort of thing I'd want (they never released it here); the NASCAR game I had for the PS2 (either 2005 or 06 can't remember) is good from that perspective, although the actual driving model is... not great. I'd take a slightly less realistic game (some may call it "simcade" but that's a bit of an overused term really) provided they could make it a fun game (good AI is a must, lots of different racing types etc).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Why hasn't there ever been a good career mode in a sim racing game? Project CARS is the closest that we seem to have but it isn't all the way there; mostly because of things like there being no differences between teams, so there's no reasons to choose certain teams over others. From what I've seen of NASCAR Dirt to Daytona that looks like the sort of thing I'd want (they never released it here); the NASCAR game I had for the PS2 (either 2005 or 06 can't remember) is good from that perspective, although the actual driving model is... not great. I'd take a slightly less realistic game (some may call it "simcade" but that's a bit of an overused term really) provided they could make it a fun game (good AI is a must, lots of different racing types etc).

The problem is that most sim racing devs now are former mod teams (Reiza, Kunos etc) so all they really feel is necessary is to pump their game full of cars and tracks and call it done. Any time a career mode is included it's always kinda reluctantly like ehhh here you can do this if you want but everything's unlocked from the start so I don't see why you would (see: Assetto Corsa, GTR2 and Dirt Rally to a degree) and if stuff is locked like in GT Legends, the community will just rip the data and release it as a mod. So why would you bother? rFactor is probably the best we've managed with its buying and upgrading of cars to move through different racing disciplines and series' but the sheer horrible state of the stock content in that and its modding focus meant that basically no-one ever did anything with it. Now if someone made an rFactor mod that utilised that buying and upgrading and earning stuff but with actual good content, we might have something. I feel like someone should've dragged together multiple mods by now to create a decent Gran Turismo in rFactor.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I really like how the career mode is handled in Dirt Rally. It's not all that fleshed out but it's effective for what it is.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The F1 games, not the latest but I think 2013 or something had a complex a career as there basically is. You'd make a driver and work up from the bottom with a basic team. There was activities in practices to help the engineers develop improved parts for the car, a running score and competition with your team mate, detailed news stories (with the twitter crap and everything like PCars) except the competition is actually F1 and not some made-up random thing you've never heard of. You'd be racing against the names you know, in the cars they should be driving and you'd feel great when you overtook Sebastian for the lead into corner one.

Combine with real weather, so you can practice a track and qualify but then race day comes and it's wet and it completely changes things up and it's certainly more involved than something like Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo has car 'tuning' which means 'unlocking go fast bits with an opportunity cost and then bringing your now OP car back to lovely little series and owning everyone because you're running twice the horsepower' which has nothing to do with actually racing.

I think the reality is the same with a first-person shooter, namely any AI isn't going to keep me interested for long. I've played games for too long and know them too well, I can eventually cheese any AI and they're not dynamic, complex or just interesting enough to keep me coming back. That's just in shooting poo poo, when it comes to driving and the complexities of different styles and how to drive a car and different ways of overtaking and going fast, even in 2015 there just isn't any really decent AI representation of that.

So the best 'career mode' is iRacing and getting competent enough that you're actually competitive and can compete for a championship. I drive the SRF not because it's the best car, because it's the best series I've run into and I've spent enough time with it now that I can compete for the championship, against real people that post on real forums and make videos about it which real people watch, etc, that's all a lot more 'career like' than an AI career.

But that requires the motivation and dedication to get to that level, pay the subscription, buy a decent wheel, learn how to actually drive against real people and not run the AI off the road, etc. That's all 'part of the career mode' as I see it, but if you're not up for all that then I guess screwing around with scripted opponents is what you get.

Lots of people drive in the iRacing thread but I don't see many people posting about championships, being consistently competitive and actually having some going concern beyond an individual race.. i.e. career mode. Everyone wants to drive cool high powered cars but if I can't do the 'career mode' thing then I get bored, hence why I'm a competent SRF driver.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe the real career mode were the friends we made along the way. Also I know a fair amount of people on iRacing and none of them care about championship points because trying to win iRacing championships basically means becoming the kind of person who spends hours min-maxing setups and learning to run the perfect racing line lap after lap and I doubt anyone who just wants to vroom vroom go fast in progressively faster vrooms wants to be that guy.

Also upgrading non-race cars to be super fast is the best part of Forza/Gran Turismo. I have a VW Bus in Forza 6 that can compete with WTCC cars and that's the kind of silliness I want in most racing games. That and ice cream trucks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
All the good slow-car drivers are in the Skip Barber series bro :colbert:

I might actually try to compete for the Skippy championship this season. I moved up to division 2 for 2016 season 1, and I don't have a chance in hell of competing for the division 1 championship so I might as well try in D2. I'm still pretty crap at driving the Star Mazda, and just as bad at making setups, so that's my "test" car until the Renault comes out later this year.

I also ordered a new power supply, case fans to help with my overclock and a GTX 970 so I can run triples at not-terrible settings for racing video games!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CaseFace McGee posted:

All the good slow-car drivers are in the Skip Barber series bro :colbert:

I might actually try to compete for the Skippy championship this season. I moved up to division 2 for 2016 season 1, and I don't have a chance in hell of competing for the division 1 championship so I might as well try in D2. I'm still pretty crap at driving the Star Mazda, and just as bad at making setups, so that's my "test" car until the Renault comes out later this year.

I also ordered a new power supply, case fans to help with my overclock and a GTX 970 so I can run triples at not-terrible settings for racing video games!

Slow cars best cars #Solstice4Life

I was really excited to move up to Star Mazda but every race I ran in that thing was a total shitfest, got owned multiple times at Road Atlanta and Spa, then when I got taken out twice at Sebring by a car I was lapping I just ditched the whole series and jumped to advanced MX-5. So I move to the Skip for this season then never race it in the first 2 weeks because gently caress Brands Indy and gently caress Laguna Seca. Also the trucks and SK modifieds have been awesome so I end up just doing endless oval racing. Even went oval racing in rFactor 2 since I've been spending a lot more time with that game and oval racing there still isn't great. Must be hard for sim racing games trying to make offline oval racing work when everyone who wants to do that has every form of ovalling in history in NR2k3.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^^^this

Iracing is "expensive" in dollars (at least more so than a $50 game) but I'm cheap.and think that $15 for a track I'll race on season after season for 2-3 hours is worth it.

Irscing is frustrating as hell and fun as hell, nothing makes you pissed more than the rear end who gets loose puts 3 people into the wall the comes down and takes you out. But guess what that poo poo happens in a real race with experienced drivers and they get pissed too.

Iracing is fun as hell because you are racing someone else with the same equipment (and possibly same setup) no some AI robot, or some car that's underpowered based on you. Maybe they are .1 faster in the first 20 laps but eat up their tires and you pass them or maybe you are 2 laps short of catching them and run out of time.

It also takes realization that you aren't probably going to be winning every race or even close for awhile unless you have natural skill..

But I agree it's a real career mode, some day I'll be competitive enough to start thinking about actually running for points for reals.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Glad to know that I am not the only person that hates Laguna Seca. It feels like most people I come across love it but I am never not garbage on that track in any game.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Goetta posted:

Glad to know that I am not the only person that hates Laguna Seca. It feels like most people I come across love it but I am never not garbage on that track in any game.

And it was back to back in Star Mazda and Skippy :gonk:

I did fairly well there both weeks, but I threw my Star Mazda race down the drain today at 'Ring GP... and the minimum required repairs left me with a totally poo poo car that flipped on its side as soon as I exited the pits. At least I was able to compete enough laps to count toward my 8 weeks of participation.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did the trip monitor thing, but I feel I don't really want to get into sims until VR is integrated. I'm going to build a nice cockpit and nerd out, but not until VR is a viable thing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

"tater_salad" posted:

It also takes realization that you aren't probably going to be winning every race or even close for awhile unless you have natural skill..

I doubt I'll ever have the time, skill or willingness to drop other games from my schedule to be more than a midfield driver in iRacing, but the great thing about racing against real people is that fighting for 7th is still exciting.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

Maybe the real career mode were the friends we made along the way. Also I know a fair amount of people on iRacing and none of them care about championship points because trying to win iRacing championships basically means becoming the kind of person who spends hours min-maxing setups and learning to run the perfect racing line lap after lap and I doubt anyone who just wants to vroom vroom go fast in progressively faster vrooms wants to be that guy.

Also upgrading non-race cars to be super fast is the best part of Forza/Gran Turismo. I have a VW Bus in Forza 6 that can compete with WTCC cars and that's the kind of silliness I want in most racing games. That and ice cream trucks.

I've made plenty of friends. I tried to explain that's why I drive SRF, Star Mazda's competition level is that much higher that it's about finding a series you can compete in for the time investment that suits you. I love driving the Star Mazda, I don't like setting it up (because there is so much I don't know) and I don't like racing it because the huge gap in my experience de-motivates me when there are also other things I want to do in life. I've driven SRF for long enough and it's simple enough that I can really get my teeth into it but don't have to stop doing everything else.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I might actually try to compete for the Skippy championship this season. I moved up to division 2 for 2016 season 1, and I don't have a chance in hell of competing for the division 1 championship so I might as well try in D2.

This is what I mean by winning a championship, Div 1 in SRF is nuts and I have no hope of that or even Div 4. But because it's real people and it's all so professionally organized I get this effect:

GhostDog posted:

but the great thing about racing against real people is that fighting for 7th is still exciting.

Which is really all I need to keep me coming back and thinking about how to go faster next time. I don't have to drop other games or really do that much now I know most tracks and really know the car, which is a kinda awesome career mode that I'm really in and living. I can bring up stats of each year I drove in iRacing.. actually my career with how I did and my fastest laps, etc. We keep going back to the same tracks where you eek out a few more tenths or exclaim with the rest of the series regulars as they change the tire model and everyone's laptimes fall by seconds. That's probably the best 'career mode' simulation thing that happened to me, just like a new F1 season where everyone is suddenly on the Pirellis and some cope with it and others dont and every practice is people taking in depth about tires. Awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

I love driving the Star Mazda, I don't like setting it up (because there is so much I don't know) and I don't like racing it because the huge gap in my experience de-motivates me when there are also other things I want to do in life. I've driven SRF for long enough and it's simple enough that I can really get my teeth into it but don't have to stop doing everything else.

This was another reason for me ditching it, there's such a ridiculous range of aero options that it's just not the easy step up from skippy that it probably should be given the open wheel ladder. Hopefully the Renault 2.0 fits into that spot a bit better.

quote:

We keep going back to the same tracks where you eek out a few more tenths or exclaim with the rest of the series regulars as they change the tire model and everyone's laptimes fall by seconds. That's probably the best 'career mode' simulation thing that happened to me, just like a new F1 season where everyone is suddenly on the Pirellis and some cope with it and others dont and every practice is people taking in depth about tires. Awesome.

Adapting to new systems is one of the things that I think might be interesting in the pro series' but I've seen people expecting the introduction of ERS and DRS to the F1 series to end Huttu's dominance and those people are going to be sorely disappointed.

Also since this isn't the iRacing thread, I've been racing the Audi TT in RaceRoom a lot and that game's AI is really improving, to the point where I can seriously work for an overtake and even if it's slightly risky I can go for it without fear of being spun out. Though a lot of the off track penalties are still needlessly harsh, like being given a 2 second slow down for running slightly too wide on turn 1 at Hockenheim. Also it's constantly hilarious how many bits of that game have been ignored while others have been improved, like the replay menu is still the orb that was dropped from the rest of the game about 6 months ago.

E: Just found this, apparently full Brands was once in RaceRoom along with an F1 car.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 28, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I doubt I'll ever have the time, skill or willingness to drop other games from my schedule to be more than a midfield driver in iRacing, but the great thing about racing against real people is that fighting for 7th is still exciting.

This is pretty much me.. I have a great and exciting time racing folks for 7th etc. It'ts the excitement of having someone at your door not knowing if they can hold it out of 4 and not spin & collect you.

I always consider finishing a few spots ahead of my car number a victory :).

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

njsykora posted:

Are there any racing games for the pc that allow for car upgrades similar to Gran Turismo? I love racing simulators like iRacing but sometimes I want to just goof off and play a racing game that allows me to just overpower the competition.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Nosthula posted:

Are there any racing games for the pc that allow for car upgrades similar to Gran Turismo? I love racing simulators like iRacing but sometimes I want to just goof off and play a racing game that allows me to just overpower the competition.

I want to say The Crew: Wild Run Edition and maybe The Need for Speed series. I haven't played either one though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you don't have SCE, you have until the end of the current Steam sale on January 4th to grab it if you want the new Reiza thing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

njsykora posted:

If you don't have SCE, you have until the end of the current Steam sale on January 4th to grab it if you want the new Reiza thing.

What?

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

I want to say The Crew: Wild Run Edition and maybe The Need for Speed series. I haven't played either one though.

Thanks, NFS Shift2 is on the steam sale so I may check that out. Although with how much i'm enjoying the skippy and my new G27 in iRacing I have a feeling it will be a wasted purchase.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Reiza are making a new game, if you have SCE activated on Steam on January 4th you'll get it for free when it's released.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nosthula posted:

Thanks, NFS Shift2 is on the steam sale so I may check that out. Although with how much i'm enjoying the skippy and my new G27 in iRacing I have a feeling it will be a wasted purchase.

Shift 2 is as close as you're going to get. I guess there's Sega GT but it's really old. The other NFS games are not going to scratch that itch because the driving physics don't even border on realistic. Shift 2 isn't as simmy as assetto corsa or anything but it's definitely simmy. And it has tons of street cars, upgrades, tuning, real life tracks, and wheel support.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

njsykora posted:

Reiza are making a new game, if you have SCE activated on Steam on January 4th you'll get it for free when it's released.

How does SCE play on gamepad?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pik_d posted:

How does SCE play on gamepad?

Badly, I tried it a month or so ago. It's not impossible but you're going to be spending a lot of time tweaking settings.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Shift 2 is as close as you're going to get. I guess there's Sega GT but it's really old. The other NFS games are not going to scratch that itch because the driving physics don't even border on realistic. Shift 2 isn't as simmy as assetto corsa or anything but it's definitely simmy. And it has tons of street cars, upgrades, tuning, real life tracks, and wheel support.

Awesome, thank you for this. Being simmy really helps seal the deal. I don't expect AC or iRacing by any stretch from any game that attempts to do unrealistic upgrades but it is a plus. If it supported true triple monitoring separate display rendering then I would be over the moon but I can't expect that from anything other than pure sims. Of course I have to put down Road Atlanta in the Skippy this week. That track and car is addictive.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Is Shift 2 good? Steam reviews say it crashes a lot. Like a lot

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Shift 2 is fun. There's an easily installed mod that'll correct some weird tire modeling stuff, so track that down. Shift 2 is also the game that gave SMS a bad rep despite EA's interference with the game during the development process.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Nosthula posted:

Of course I have to put down Road Atlanta in the Skippy this week. That track and car is addictive.

So good. I nearly won the top split opener for the week, I missed my turn in point at the top of the hill at turn 3-ish and lost two tenths, just enough so I couldn't draft up to go side by side at the end of the long straight... I got pole and fastest lap though, so it was pretty good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Shift 2 is fun. There's an easily installed mod that'll correct some weird tire modeling stuff, so track that down. Shift 2 is also the game that gave SMS a bad rep despite EA's interference with the game during the development process.

I think Project Cars' post-release issues has shown that SMS didn't need EA's help getting a bad reputation. Also I had no idea any Need for Speed games were on Steam, let alone the Shift games. Might have to grab Shift at some point since I was always kinda curious about it.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

pik_d posted:

The LFS devs had Rockingham laser scanned like 7 years ago actually. They only released it today though.

The AI is horrible fyi, don't buy LFS because you want to race AI.

Just a little tidbit of fun info but when S1 first came out the AI learned lines better the more they drove and how you drove around them. Unfortunately this was scrapped for a hard-coded racing line type AI around 2008 because they couldn't grasp changes in grip level due to dynamic things like temperature, fuel level, and dirty tires.

Scawen circa 2005 posted:

They don't use neural networks.

They just learn by experience, how much grip is available to them as they drive around. Then, each lap, based on this knowledge, they test out random small adjustments to their racing curves, and, applying their new knowledge of the available grip to the adjusted line, they work out their plan for braking and acceleration, and from that, their predicted lap time. If their predicated lap time on the updated line is quicker than their predicted lap time on the not updated line, they keep the new line, if not, they discard it.

Notice the fatal flaw in there - they decide to keep lines based on whether they *think* the line will be faster. Theyt don't then feedback experience into that, to change their decision after actually testing it.

Anyway, even with that flaw, it worked reasonably well in previous versions in cluding S1. But now it's quite bad because they have no understanding that their grip changes depending on temperature or if there is dirt on the wheels. Also they thing the same cornering force is available, regardless of their fuel load. Basically they haven't been coded at all for the new dynamically changing cars.

EDIT : To help them learn, i think you can just let them drive around, but let them have some varying experience, because one who is always in the lead, will get quite a different experience from one who is always driving behind someone else. But i wouldn't really recommended it at the moment, though it depends on the track. Some car / track combinations just end up with crazy AI drivers who can't stay on the track. Someone else may be able to advise you on which combinations work ok at the moment.

Well they start with this thing called the "path" which defines the route and the driveable area and is used for a lot of things. And they create their own line in there by fitting a series of curves

advion fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 29, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

njsykora posted:

I think Project Cars' post-release issues has shown that SMS didn't need EA's help getting a bad reputation. Also I had no idea any Need for Speed games were on Steam, let alone the Shift games. Might have to grab Shift at some point since I was always kinda curious about it.

Pcars needed about six more months of dev time. Outside of that, it's a loving awesome sim. What's the problem?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Pcars needed about six more months of dev time. Outside of that, it's a loving awesome sim. What's the problem?

Ian Bell (SMS head) basically shouting down and banning anyone who raised issues with the game from the WMD forums. He also called G27 users idiots after the 2.0 patch messed up FFB, which wasn't the best idea while promoting a free DLC sponsored by Logitech. That dude was and somewhat still is a walking PR disaster.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Who gives a poo poo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The customer is always right man, don't you know that? If a dude decides to run his business with some sass PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW at every single opportunity. Insulting morons is unacceptable coming from someone taking our money!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

Ian Bell (SMS head) basically shouting down and banning anyone who raised issues with the game from the WMD forums. He also called G27 users idiots after the 2.0 patch messed up FFB, which wasn't the best idea while promoting a free DLC sponsored by Logitech. That dude was and somewhat still is a walking PR disaster.

:shrug:

Game is good.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had almost forgotten about this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33642-Ian-Bell-you-can-t-be-this-immature&p=1025778&viewfull=1

I don't know why his reply is so funny but it is

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
if they weren't paying me every few months, I'd actually ask for my money back. PCARS is actually money positive for me but that guy is a douche.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Ian Bell is a dick occasionally but I would be too if I had to deal with hyper-entitled gamers all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

if they weren't paying me every few months, I'd actually ask for my money back. PCARS is actually money positive for me but that guy is a douche.

This is something that's going to make the development of Pcars 2 really interesting, because they can't offer this again after the UK tax office investigated them. People donating to the sequel can't get money back, and that prospect of getting paid post-launch seemed to be a big part of why the hype machine for the first game got as big as it did. Eurogamer did a good article on the crowdfunding and the subsequent investigation, and there's some rather entertaining backer quotes in there too.

• Locked thread