Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

captkirk posted:

I'm sort of judging this person based on their penmanship.

Anger got the capital A like God intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Confluence suggestion and ask for one more:

For all of you that have probably used multiple tools to do something like this, what do you guys find to be the best solution for CRM and project management/resource allocation? Preferably something online, do you guys know anything?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My MSP isn't huge, so we just use a shared OneNote document. We have maybe 25-30 guys?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My MSP isn't huge, so we just use a shared OneNote document. We have maybe 25-30 guys?

We're a small team (12 guys) but we're part of a much bigger organization. We're almost completely separate from that company in everything though, from sales to delivery. The company just does HR, Payroll, etc.

I guess a OneNote wouldn't be a terrible thing but I know that it would end up a huge mess after a while.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

orange sky posted:

For all of you that have probably used multiple tools to do something like this, what do you guys find to be the best solution for CRM and project management/resource allocation? Preferably something online, do you guys know anything?

Salesforce if you can afford it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

orange sky posted:

We're a small team (12 guys) but we're part of a much bigger organization. We're almost completely separate from that company in everything though, from sales to delivery. The company just does HR, Payroll, etc.

I guess a OneNote wouldn't be a terrible thing but I know that it would end up a huge mess after a while.

I would be lying if I said it was good. We're looking to just use the OneNote share for our SOP and are currently planning a new documentation system (probably Sharepoint).

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
What's so great about Confluence? Wikis seem like they are a dime a dozen; do they offer some level of support or features that make it worth paying for for a very small deployment? Sure, 10$ is _almost_ nothing, but it isn't nothing at all.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

orange sky posted:

Maybe check out JIRA, if you're already getting on the Atlassian bandwagon with Confluence. Though I'm not sure that does much of anything for CRM.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

waloo posted:

What's so great about Confluence? Wikis seem like they are a dime a dozen; do they offer some level of support or features that make it worth paying for for a very small deployment? Sure, 10$ is _almost_ nothing, but it isn't nothing at all.

It's cheap for smaller teams; low barrier to entry (easy to integrate with AD authentication, page/space security, formatting and organization are solid and no-brainer, it's purpose built and support syntax highlighting out of the box for scripting and development teams, it handles attachments and PDFs rather well, it exports well to PDF or DOC file, etc). It also integrates with other Jira products, so I can reference a confluence page from a ticket or change request, etc.

Basically: It reduces the pain points of documentation a bit, and anything that does that makes documentation much more likely to happen. There may be better stuff out there, but for the $10 it is better than any of the open-source wiki products I ran through, and its cheaper than all the big name documentation portals.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Confluence / JIRA / Fisheye integration is really nice but gently caress if I can find anything nowadays. We have about 1000 developers using it for 5+ years and it is a giant stinking shithole. It needs cleaned up but nobody is jumping on that grenade.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also it has a lot of useful add-ons and integrates with quite a few cool products.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
6 months free pluralsite: http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/12/get-more-awesome-pluralsight-content.html?m=1

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

For anyone who hasn't signed up for this yet, do it now. The offer ends after December 31 and there's a lot of really good stuff there.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We have a shared OneNote notebook that I really like, but we have a 4 person team. I'm the only one who uses it though. Nobody else documents anything unless under extreme duress.

OneNote is a really cool piece of software.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

We have a shared OneNote notebook that I really like, but we have a 4 person team. I'm the only one who uses it though. Nobody else documents anything unless under extreme duress.

OneNote is a really cool piece of software.
Sounds just like my team. We have one guy who works remotely (smart guy we picked up via acquisition). He documents everything in one note really well, probably trying to lead by example. The rest of the admin team, including the manager (me) puts far less effort into documentation, instead relying on tribal like oral documentation and in-brain filing.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

So what am I doing wrong here? I signed up for Dev essentials, clicked the link to activate Pluralsight, got a new page with offer code. Copied the code from the address to the form, added an email address, clicked 'I agree' and nothing happened. Same results on IE and Firefox, and I disabled adblock and noscript.

I have a head cold, so I am certain it is something simple I am missing.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So what am I doing wrong here? I signed up for Dev essentials, clicked the link to activate Pluralsight, got a new page with offer code. Copied the code from the address to the form, added an email address, clicked 'I agree' and nothing happened. Same results on IE and Firefox, and I disabled adblock and noscript.

I have a head cold, so I am certain it is something simple I am missing.

It worked for me. Security settings on your browser maybe?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Worked for me, thanks for the info. I got 6 months free earlier this year as part of a different MS promotion and never actually logged in to use it, but this new six months just worked fine, didn't need to use a new email address or anything.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I signed up about 2 weeks ago, have not had a chance to check it out yet though.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Moey posted:

I signed up about 2 weeks ago, have not had a chance to check it out yet though.

I signed up and will never open that web site again. :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a mobile app so I might go crazy and make my commute productive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

No you wont.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's a dead week at work, I've been watching videos all day, getting my PowerShell DSC learn on.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think you've tried to use the mobile app yet.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It's a dead week at work, I've been watching videos all day, getting my PowerShell DSC learn on.

Pretty much sums it up. I'm on the forums all day and occasionally reading up on some industry news.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

It's been a terrible week here. Anybody want to speculate why random ports on switches just start to fail to deliver PoE? Glad all these switches are getting replaced on Thursday.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

adorai posted:

Sounds just like my team. We have one guy who works remotely (smart guy we picked up via acquisition). He documents everything in one note really well, probably trying to lead by example. The rest of the admin team, including the manager (me) puts far less effort into documentation, instead relying on tribal like oral documentation and in-brain filing.

Our director really really likes documentation, and I don't mind doing it, even if I'm the only one who is going to use it--it keeps me from having to ask how to do something a bunch of times. After the first time or two I'm usually just asking to make sure I didn't forget any important steps, so documenting kills two birds with one stone.

My issue in writing documentation is I don't know what (technical) level to write it for. I mostly try to think about a super dumb "IT person" trying to do this stuff in a DR scenario. So in turn I do them with what is probably insulting to everyone else on my team. I figure that's better than having it be too vague.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

myron cope posted:

Our director really really likes documentation, and I don't mind doing it, even if I'm the only one who is going to use it--it keeps me from having to ask how to do something a bunch of times. After the first time or two I'm usually just asking to make sure I didn't forget any important steps, so documenting kills two birds with one stone.

My issue in writing documentation is I don't know what (technical) level to write it for. I mostly try to think about a super dumb "IT person" trying to do this stuff in a DR scenario. So in turn I do them with what is probably insulting to everyone else on my team. I figure that's better than having it be too vague.

I write documentation that I hope I could grab any random person in the office and have them help me with just by reading the steps if I give them temporary credentials. I'd rather be to verbose than too vague like you said.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kashuno posted:

It's been a terrible week here. Anybody want to speculate why random ports on switches just start to fail to deliver PoE? Glad all these switches are getting replaced on Thursday.

Power issues probably.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Pretty much sums it up. I'm on the forums all day and occasionally reading up on some industry news.

I'm enjoying it while it lasts, the company I work for is being acquired and the first day of us merging into the new company is Jan 4th, first quarter next year is going to be stupid busy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kashuno posted:

You might be trying to pull more PoE than the switch is rated for. Just because it says PoE and has 48 ports, doesn't mean that all 48 ports can PoE.
That or they're just lovely and old and need replacing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Because they know.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Depending upon the switch, you may not be able to output 30W on all of the ports, especially if you're only running one power supply.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
thanks guys! They are decently old, and we're replacing them with a bunch of meraki PoE switches on Thursday so hopefully that'll resolve this. If not it's going to be a real bitch.

Unrelated to that, anyone here gone through WGU for IT degrees? I have an associates in compsci, but I'm looking at going into information security in the future and I feel like a bachelor's is gonna be one of those annoying checkboxes I need to pass for HR in the field.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kashuno posted:

thanks guys! They are decently old, and we're replacing them with a bunch of meraki PoE switches on Thursday so hopefully that'll resolve this. If not it's going to be a real bitch.

Unrelated to that, anyone here gone through WGU for IT degrees? I have an associates in compsci, but I'm looking at going into information security in the future and I feel like a bachelor's is gonna be one of those annoying checkboxes I need to pass for HR in the field.

There are several of us here that have degrees from WGU. I finished my BS Oct 2014.

WGU is legit, I have an AAS from a CC, and took a couple semesters at Arizona State but never finished my degree. I worked just as hard at WGU as I did earning the AAS or taking classes at ASU. When I started I felt it was the best option for me at the time. There are definitely more options out there now that might be worth looking into*, but WGU gave me the opportunity to finish my Bachelors in a reasonable amount of time and I'm glad I did it.

* WGU, is fully accredited and no one has every questioned the validity of the degree I earned, but many traditionally brick and mortar colleges are starting to offer 100% online degrees that are the same as if you attended classes on campus. They can be way more expensive than WGU, most cost over 500 dollars a credit hour, but some might possibly find value in getting a degree from a nationally recognized university like ASU versus having to potentially explain what WGU is to someone. Several other 'regular' colleges have 100% online bachelor programs targeted at folks like us. Penn State World Campus, University of Texas System Online Consortium, and others.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Kashuno posted:

What's the power budget look like on the switch?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Kashuno posted:

Oh my sweet summer child, why would anyone buy meraki switches?

I mourn for you. :cry:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

Oh my sweet summer child, why would anyone buy meraki switches?

I mourn for you. :cry:

I don't have buying authority so if it's really bad I can blame it on someone else!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The new ones with physical stacking are p cool.

I have an executive who's remote 3 days a week. He has a private office in our building and has a vision of a dead simple video conferencing solution between his work office and home office. Someone could walk into his work office when he’s not there and do something simple, and he’d be notified at home of an incoming request and could accept to video conference.

We have Cisco UC phones and I could buy nice video endpoints, but maybe there's a simple point to point solution I'm missing?

e: screw it. DX80s ordered.

KS fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 31, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have Cisco UC already then just roll with that. It's pretty much a case of make call, add video once it's set up right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

We have Cisco UC phones and I could buy nice video endpoints, but maybe there's a simple point to point solution I'm missing?
It's not hard to make a video call. Rather than some magic button or motion activated thing, just put a video phone on his desk and a little placard explaining the whole 3 steps of how to start a video call for anyone who might not know how.