Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hope you got tickets to the one where Mikey Erg is opening.

I like LTJ and all but can't get excited about these shows. They play tons of songs off those albums at shows to begin with, and have done quite a few album shows in the past. It seems like a "oh, again?" thing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fateo McMurray posted:

I like LTJ and all but can't get excited about these shows. They play tons of songs off those albums at shows to begin with, and have done quite a few album shows in the past. It seems like a "oh, again?" thing now

Agreed wholeheartedly. They even had that one tour where they brought the Price is Right wheel to spin for albums to play songs off.

Plus Vince has acted like kind of a tool at the last couple of shows I've seen them at. He's starting to remind me of Guy Fieri in more than just looks.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The Price Is Right show was the first time I ever saw them and it was loving awful because they spun the wheel and landed on In With The Out Crowd and everyone starting booing. I saw them like two years later with Goldfinger and they were awesome then. Those are the only two times I've seen them so I'm sure this will be pretty awesome for me. Much like seeing RBF for the first time as opposed to seeing them for the 7th and it's still the same show.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Hope you got tickets to the one where Mikey Erg is opening.

I got both because like hell I'm going to miss them playing:

1) Losing Streak (which is the better of the two :colbert: we haven't had this argument in a while let me start it back up again)
2) at Highline Ballroom which is one of my favorite venues in NYC
3) with Westbound Train and Mephiskapheles which are both Cool and Good

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 10, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

The Price Is Right show was the first time I ever saw them and it was loving awful because they spun the wheel and landed on In With The Out Crowd and everyone starting booing. I saw them like two years later with Goldfinger and they were awesome then. Those are the only two times I've seen them so I'm sure this will be pretty awesome for me. Much like seeing RBF for the first time as opposed to seeing them for the 7th and it's still the same show.

I got both because like hell I'm going to miss them playing:

1) Losing Streak (which is the better of the two :colbert: we haven't had this argument in a while let me start it back up again)
2) at Highline Ballroom which is one of my favorite venues in NYC
3) with Westbound Train and Mephiskapheles which are both Cool and Good

Losing Streak is the superior album, agreed. Hello Rockview is great too, and more polished and better mixed, etc. but LS is their album that hits me hardest in the feels.

e: In with the Out Crowd is pretty decent if you pretend it's a Get Up Kids album or something with Vinnie singing

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Losing Streak is the superior album, agreed. Hello Rockview is great too, and more polished and better mixed, etc. but LS is their album that hits me hardest in the feels.

e: In with the Out Crowd is pretty decent if you pretend it's a Get Up Kids album or something with Vinnie singing

Yes, Losing Streak is way better. Where were you all when we did this last time? I was all alone.

Also I prefer Borders and Boundaries to Hello Rockview.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
So hey, speaking of great ska records ...

You can stream my band's new EP here (or spotify, if that's your thing).

Let me know what you think!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

aricoarena posted:

Also I prefer Borders and Boundaries to Hello Rockview.

A man after my own heart

B&B > *

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's hosed up that there was a multi-page "recommend bands like the toasters" discussion and no one mentioned planet smashers once

hosed Up

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Throwdown is in a few days. Pumped as gently caress. With this Throwdown, they will have played as many pre-hiatus Throwdowns as post. That blows my mind.

Hope they play Seven Ways To Sunday.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They played A Little Bit Ugly last year and it was the best moment of my life just like knowing that I missed Zig Zag Dance three years ago was the worst.

Aside from that, the songs that I've never heard live and know that I never will would be: Where You Come From, Riot on Broad Street, Bad in Plaid, Wrong Thing Right Then, and The Impossible Dream

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fateo McMurray posted:

Throwdown is in a few days. Pumped as gently caress. With this Throwdown, they will have played as many pre-hiatus Throwdowns as post. That blows my mind.

Hope they play Seven Ways To Sunday.

My first Christmas not in Boston since 2007 :(

I was hoping to have the Bruins take 2nd in the conference as a consolation Christmas gift but nope

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

They played A Little Bit Ugly last year and it was the best moment of my life just like knowing that I missed Zig Zag Dance three years ago was the worst.

Aside from that, the songs that I've never heard live and know that I never will would be: Where You Come From, Riot on Broad Street, Bad in Plaid, Wrong Thing Right Then, and The Impossible Dream

drat if you had seen them during the run up to the Obama election they ended every show with The Impossible Dream it seems. Wrong Thing Right Then would be awesome too.

My friend Marc (bald dude) was invited on stage to sing A Little Bit Ugly last year. Proud moment for us bald men everywhere.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

My first Christmas not in Boston since 2007 :(

I was hoping to have the Bruins take 2nd in the conference as a consolation Christmas gift but nope
I'm so sorry :( Xmas it's Xmas without Throwdown

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 23, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm lame and old and my friends and I decided to get balcony seats for the 2nd night because our run up to then will be:

Post-family annual Christmas drinking party until 3 AM > Getting up at 7 to catch a train to Port Authority > Getting a 9 AM bus to Boston > checking into our hotel Saturday afternoon > drinking until 1st show > jumping around like an idiot for 4.5 hours > drinking until 4 am > getting up at 9 am > drinking all day > meet and greet? (usually happens the afternoon before the 2nd show, but that's usually a Saturday not a Sunday so :confused: ) > continue drinking until concert starts.

sitting feels good for my brittle bones

gives us time to rest up for drinking around by the garden until 4 am!!

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 23, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

In separate "I'm getting old and life is significantly less fun" news, I just applied for a job, that if I get it, I'm going to be moving across country sometime before end of March which could mean that I'm going to miss those LTJ shows :(

So if tickets sell out and anybody still wants to go :negative:

e: do they even have ska in seattle

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 23, 2015

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

What hotel?

And the meet and greet is indeed sunday.

It's during a Pats game though so good luck if you don't get there early.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 23, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

We always stay in the Holiday Inn on Friend Street

e: loving patriots

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 23, 2015

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Go across the street to Sullivan's Tap and if you see any younger bartender tell 'em Glen Murray sent you

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

In the 3 years that I've gone to this show, I've probably spent well over $150 there just on tallboys and Buck Hunter

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That's my Bruins pre/post game bar. I miss that piss smelling shithole now that I've given up my season tickets :(

Me and all my friends are at the Buckminster in kenmore square

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only Bosstones album I have is Let's Face it. Which other ones are especially good?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

They are literally all good. My personal favorites are Don't Know How To Party and Jackknife to a Swan

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced that Pin Points and Gin Joints is their most underrated album. It's in my top three with Let's Face It and Question the Answers

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

PP&GJ rules. If you got a the vinyl version, it's apparently worth some money now. I guess not a lot were pressed.

And more throwdown news that's old but I've just never posted it here. Lawrence got in a bike accident a few weeks ago and hosed up his arm and can't play at the moment. So they're bringing back their original guitarist Nate for this year. I expect a ton of old songs

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I am so loving excited to see The Upper Crust live. The openers this year are pretty awesome, at least the ones I know, I don't think I know much of Stranglehold or The Outlets.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

They played Storm Hit last night. The b-side my friends and I have been waiting/asking to hear since the return from hiatus. I am complete.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

goddamn this loving band is loving incredible what a loving weekend

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
John Bradbury died.

But Jeff rosenstock is fine so you all probably don't care.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ferrule posted:

John Bradbury died.

Great, great musician; Horace Panter had nothing but good things to say about him in Ska'd For Life. RIP.

All the 2 Tone guys are getting on a bit now. I went and looked up the announcement on the BBC and learned Rico died a couple of months ago. I can't believe I didn't hear it until today. Another giant of the genre, though he had a good long life and a distinguished career. :(

He'd been playing with Jools Holland's Rhythm & Blues Orchestra toward the end of his life - I saw them when they did a show in Belfast a couple of years ago, and he had Rico out to sing "What A Wonderful World" (the Louis Armstrong one) and he got lost between verses. I reckon it was just his age. I felt sorry for him; I imagine Jools had nothing but the best intentions keeping him working, but maybe he was getting a bit old for the road. He came out and did a verse of "Enjoy Yourself" at the end - it closed the set - and he really went for it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ferrule posted:

But Jeff rosenstock is fine so you all probably don't care.

this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Other than that great Bruce Lee Band album that was quietly released, when was the last time Jeff has even so much as played a single upstroke on his guitar

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ok, now that I've had a chance to come down, here's the awesome things that happened at the throwdown:

1) Nate was awesome and shredded my loving face off

2) Guys were super cool at the meet & greet, as usual

3) At the meet & greet, Dicky drew me two tattoos that I'm super pumped about and as soon as I find a place that's not going to charge me a billion dollars for what is essentially a trace-job and basic linework, I'm going to get them

4) Me and Mohawk GuyTM were keeping the peace in the pit and managed to keep it a circle for the entire set during the finale and I feel really great about that

5) My legs still hurt.

Set-list:

Night One:
- Cowboy Coffee
- Kinder Words
- 1-2-8
- Where'd You Go?
- Let's Face It
- I'll Drink To That
- Royal Oil
- Graffiti Worth Reading
- Someday, I Suppose
- The Day He Didn't Die
- Don't Worry Desmond Dekker
- The Rascal King
- Everybody's Better
- He's Back
- Hell Of A Hat
- X-Mas Time (Sure Doesn't Feel Like It)
- Simmer Down
- Devil's Night Out
- Storm Hit
- This Time of Year/At The Rat
- They Will Need Music
- The Impression That I Get
- Holy Smoke
- Toxic Toast
- 737/Shoe Glue

Night Two
- Dr. D
- They Came To Boston
- Doves and Civilians
- Noise Brigade
- Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
- Haji
- Desmond Worry Desmond Dekker
- I Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
- She Just Happened
- He's Back
- Hell Of A Hat
- Where'd You Go?
- Kinder Words
- 1-2-8
- The Rascal King
- Graffiti Worth Reading
- Someday I Suppose
- Storm Hit
- They Will Need Music
- Devil's Night Out
- Pretty Sad Excuse

Night Three:
- Old School Off The Bright
- Cowboy Coffee
- Do Something Crazy
- Sunday Mornings on Wisdom Avenue
- Where'd You Go?
- I'll Drink To That
- Royal Oil
- Someday I Suppose
- Let Me Be
- Chocolate Pudding :monocle:
- Howwhywuz, Howwhyam
- Hell of a Hat
- X-Mas Time (It Sure Doesn't Feel Like It)
- I Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
- 1-2-8
- All Things Considered
- The Rascal King
- Kinder Words
- Don't Worry Desmond Dekker
- They Will Need Music
- Tin Soldiers
- Storm Hit
- A Little Bit Ugly

Thoughts:

- Not a lot of any albums after Pay Attention, which I'm assuming had to do with Nate being in over Lawrence.
- They played a lot of songs all three nights, which isn't something they usually do. Typically they'll play 10-15 songs twice but very rarely do they do a song all three nights. I'm also assuming that has to do with Nate, because rather than playing a song a 3rd night, they'd have done something from Jacknife/PP&GG/Magic of Youth.
- Was still loving awesome

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 31, 2015

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Plaid mowhawk guy? That's my buddy Phil! He was so mad some douche ripped his jacket night one. If you saw a fat, bald guy with a beard (in boston? nooooo) in a stray bullets hoodie all 3 nights that was me

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The one who is super loving tall and dances the entire show? Yeah I love that guy. Never really talked to him until night three, and even then it was just a "let's keep this pit going!"

He's awesome.

I was only down on the floor for the finale, and I was dancing the whole time so I don't really remember, but if you saw a guy in the pit a purple t-shirt and a white checkered cap with some pins on it, that was me.

Fateo McMurray posted:

fat, bald guy with a beard (in boston? nooooo)

fuckin lol

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Texted Phil and told him he was famous. He said next year he's getting Plaidadin of the Pit business cards made.

edit: perforated, for easy tearing into joint filters

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 31, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If he needs a sidekick I work for beer

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A lot (possibly all?) of both Streetlight and Catch 22 albums are on sale for $5 a pop at Amazon MP3 if anyone is interested.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might try them. As I've said before, Streetlight is a band that consistently eludes me. There seems to be so much hype around them and I just don't get it. :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I might try them. As I've said before, Streetlight is a band that consistently eludes me. There seems to be so much hype around them and I just don't get it. :shrug:
Ska fans don't have a lot of options

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Not liking popular bands is ok. A few months ago my friends and I all went around and talking about the bands we didn't like but everyone else loved. It was funny to hear which bands each of us didn't like that we all thought we all enjoyed.

But if you get 3 songs into this and aren't digging it, Streetlight is definitely not for you. You've successfully saved yourself from one of the most annoying concert fanbases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I noticed them in the list but how do people feel about ye ole Fishbone? Had the opportunity to see them live (well, the remaining members) last year down on Cape Cod and it was an incredible show. Angelo truly has one of the most energetic and exciting stage presences I've ever had the pleasure to witness and he walked into the crowd at the foot of the stage to sing "Lyin' rear end Bitch" with us crowd folk. I figure it's one of the last opportunities I may have to see some of that old fashioned ska stuff being played by the people who did it back in the day themselves.

Also, this is a stupid rear end question probably, but does Sublime fit into the ska deal? I never could really settle on what genre that band was. They were a cover band, most definitely, but were they ska? Reggae? Some weird mix of the two?