Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

No experience with that particular vehicle but I think you're on the right track. I had a diesel Patrol for a while in east Africa and liked it a lot. Any reason you're not looking at Hilux? I love those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You might want to ask in the 4x4 / offroading thread in AI too as there might be folks with more experience in that sort of terrain. I know Samurais have a bit of a cult following in the US.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Bovril Delight posted:

In the future confirm if there is any required period you have to finance with them or any early repayment fee. There usually isn't and you can finance through the brands own credit arm for the rebate then immediately refi through your own financing.

Oh yeah they did mention something like that. I was afraid that it'd be too much hassle and/or it was some sort of trap but for next time, whenever that is, I'll be sure to look into it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tyro posted:

No experience with that particular vehicle but I think you're on the right track. I had a diesel Patrol for a while in east Africa and liked it a lot. Any reason you're not looking at Hilux? I love those things.

Hilux is pretty awesome, though they're just not the same without a belt-fed Soviet machine gun mounted on the back rail... But yeah we've looked at Hilux and might eventually get one to replace our POS Chinese pickup, though overall for medium/heavy trucks the Landcruiser is king here. This post here is just looking at the more niche role of a really small off-road truck for agility.

I'd never driven a Patrol until last month, when I spent 12 hours driving a foreign news crew from the airport way up into the bush. Really enjoyed it, though I didn't notice a huge difference from the Landcruiser and a little googling seems to indicate that those two makes are pretty equivalent choices. Patrols aren't anywhere near as popular as the LC with NGOs and UN here, but are pretty popular private purchases, and the Pathfinder might even be more popular than the 4Runner in Monrovia.

Our little JAC pickup is diesel and gets ridiculous fuel mileage, like a six hour trip up to the Guinean border cost us like $30 or something silly like that. I'm overall down with diesel trucks for bush use, with the caveat that once you get a little bit off the larger dirt roads and more into the villages, they only sell gasoline and not diesel. So for trucks we just make sure to top off whenever we're in a larger market town, and for small capacity items like the small generators we use to run power tools or a few other lighbulbs, we use gasoline ones since we need to refill them more frequently without having to make a special trip out of the hills just to fuel them.

powderific posted:

You might want to ask in the 4x4 / offroading thread in AI too as there might be folks with more experience in that sort of terrain. I know Samurais have a bit of a cult following in the US.

Good idea, I posted in that thread pinging any Samurai buffs to come post here.

They're just adorable little rigs though, one review said "like a Landrover Discovery that's been left in the dryer too long"; look at this little bugger:

Another colleague has a lot of Jimny experience in Central America and said they're great in river areas because the truck is so light and relatively broad for its weight so it "beetles" a little in water, slightly floating and taking pressure off the river bottom to keep the truck from miring down.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 30, 2015

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant. It was a steal when I got it in 2008 with about 25k miles on it. It has been extremely reliable and has 101k miles on it now. I'll be starting a new job soon that has a big raise along with it, so I'm thinking of upgrading:

Proposed Budget: $15,000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 2/4 door, compact/subcompact
How will you be using the car?: Go to work and do errands. Basically never haul anything. Will almost never have more than one passenger.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

Just looking for something that is reliable, wont cost me a ton in maintenance and gas, but has some nice bells and whistles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant. It was a steal when I got it in 2008 with about 25k miles on it. It has been extremely reliable and has 101k miles on it now. I'll be starting a new job soon that has a big raise along with it, so I'm thinking of upgrading:

Proposed Budget: $15,000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 2/4 door, compact/subcompact
How will you be using the car?: Go to work and do errands. Basically never haul anything. Will almost never have more than one passenger.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

Just looking for something that is reliable, wont cost me a ton in maintenance and gas, but has some nice bells and whistles.

I wouldn't upgrade if I were you, because an older reliable car that isn't worth much and thus not a thing you have to worry about too much in terms of parking lot dings and whatnot is a great thing to have and I'd rather have that than any number of bells and whistles a newer car might have.

If you must upgrade then buy a Prius.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That's a fair point. I actually had someone trade paint with my bumper at work and it was nice to look at it and think "lol I don't care." If I do that I'm at least replacing the stereo, gently caress FM transmitters for my iPhone...

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I drove my 97 Galant until the transmission died at 189k two years ago. Driving it until it explodes a legit option. It makes much easier to rationalize buying a sports car!

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Proposed Budget: 20-30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, short trips with the occasional long trip like ski trips
What aspects are most important to you?: safety, reliability, total cost of ownership

I test drove a 2016 Legacy today, and tomorrow I'm going to check out an Accord. The Legacy 2.5i Premium interests me a lot, it seems like it has a good set of features for the price, and the 4-wheel drive would be useful, especially in the winter since I'm in the NE US. From what I've read the main knock on it is engine power, but I currently drive a 2003 Accord (4-cyl.) and I'm not a car enthusiast.

What else should I check out? Maybe an Altima and/or a Mazda6?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

That's a fair point. I actually had someone trade paint with my bumper at work and it was nice to look at it and think "lol I don't care." If I do that I'm at least replacing the stereo, gently caress FM transmitters for my iPhone...

If you want to treat yo self dropping some cash on a nice stereo is totally worth it in my book. Especially if it means saving a bunch of money by hit buying a new car.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dellll

Razzled fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Basically at your price range, I'd get a 5.0 V8 mustang or an RT challenger depending on what you want.
The mustang will be tighter (and easier to find in a stick) while the challenger is a giant V8 couch (which I think is cool).

I would pony up for the 5.0 V8 though. The previous v8 motor doesn't really make any more power than the current v6.

New edge v8s are so slow now unless you get a cobra.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Do you actually want something that big and heavy? Have you tried driving any smaller lighter Japanese cars? There are lots of options in your price range: s2000 are a blast to drive, 350z with DCTs, FRS/BRZs are slow but handle great, along with various hot hatches.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Razzled posted:

This is a dumb question that I'm sure people in AI will hate but I don't know where else to get a good opinion on it..

I have an '04 Mustang. It was my first car and I like it well enough and it has served me fine. But it is a V6 automatic and since I began riding motorcycles a couple years ago it has become less satisfying to drive. It's also starting to get along in mileage into what I assume is unsellable territory (77k) for a domestic "sport coupe".

What kind of options exist for replacing this with something a little faster and more fun to drive (manual transmission) but still retaining similar body style?

My first thought was to just look for a New Edge GT since I'm 100% ok with basically everything besides the engine on the car. But I did wonder if maybe there was a cheaper/better option in the Camaros/Challengers. Or if there was some other fastback-y/pony-ish models out there that are worth looking into.

I can comfortably afford ~20-25k for a car but the cheaper the better. The only real requirements is I'd like a V8 manual coupe if possible.

You could get a pre-facelift S5 coupe.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
delll

Razzled fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Razzled posted:

What's the latest year you'd look at for either? I wasn't aware there was such a difference between the old and new V8s. The RT looks cool too, I'm totes down for a v8 couch

2011+, I think.
They will say 5.0 on the side. The 5.0 makes 100 hp more than the older one.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Proposed Budget: Around $15,000 - can go slightly (+$3,000) higher if absolutely necessary.

New or Used: Used seems to be the best option at this price point, but if there's something new that meets all the other criteria I'm not against the concept.

Body Style: Four door preferred, any size sedan / crossover / SUV is fine. Not critical but a higher riding / taller vehicle would probably be good for the visibility. Pretty much anything but trucks or vans.

How will you be using the car?: Daily commute (25 mile round trip) and general purpose vehicle for groceries, errands, whatever. No kids or pets to worry about, regularly (at least 1 / month) go camping / backpacking so the ability to haul a reasonable amount of cargo and not be super anemic going up hills is ideal. Will pretty much never see snow. No towing or anything else special. Needs to be an automatic.

What aspects are most important to you? Safety and reliability are very important, and barring it simply not breaking it would be nice if it were easy / cheap to work on. Fuel efficiency is also a bit of a concern as California gas prices can be a mess a lot of the time. Other factors are less important - don't really care who makes it or if it's got a good aesthetic or anything.

This is a replacement car for the wife - she's currently driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was a hand-me-down from her dad. The thing has 185,000 miles on it and is pretty much coming apart everywhere (radiator just failed, a bunch of codes from the evaporative emissions system keep it from being smogged, and when it got brought in for the radiator the mechanic found a ton of other poo poo that I half believe and half think he's trying to gouge us on and anyway it's time for a new car). We have a budget of $15,000 and might be able to stretch it just a little bit if it's the difference between a super solid car and a dumpster fire, but ideally we stick to or under that figure. She's pretty ambivalent about whatever kind of car she ends up with, but I do know she would prefer higher fuel economy, and a higher ride height for visibility. Doesn't need to have much in the way of fancy features, so long as there's AC and an automatic transmission she's fine, fancy trip computers, Bluetooth and integrated navigation are kind of wasted on her. We do go backpacking semi-regularly and often end up dragging 1-2 other people along, so the ability to comfortably seat that many people and their packs is ideal.

I'm sorry if this is vague, she's had a steady diet of "dad's last car" so her knowledge of cars and what features are actually out there / what she wants is pretty poo poo. Thanks in advance thread.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 3, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Proposed Budget: Around $15,000 - can go slightly (+$3,000) higher if absolutely necessary.

New or Used: Used seems to be the best option at this price point, but if there's something new that meets all the other criteria I'm not against the concept.

Body Style: Four door preferred, any size sedan / crossover / SUV is fine. Not critical but a higher riding / taller vehicle would probably be good for the visibility. Pretty much anything but trucks or vans.

How will you be using the car?: Daily commute (25 mile round trip) and general purpose vehicle for groceries, errands, whatever. No kids or pets to worry about, regularly (at least 1 / month) go camping / backpacking so the ability to haul a reasonable amount of cargo and not be super anemic going up hills is ideal. Will pretty much never see snow. No towing or anything else special. Needs to be an automatic.

What aspects are most important to you? Safety and reliability are very important, and barring it simply not breaking it would be nice if it were easy / cheap to work on. Fuel efficiency is also a bit of a concern as California gas prices can be a mess a lot of the time. Other factors are less important - don't really care who makes it or if it's got a good aesthetic or anything.

Taffeta White Honda Civic? It won't be super peppy going up hills, but it won't be anemic either. Gets 35mpg on the freeway if you baby it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

regulargonzalez posted:

Proposed Budget: under $25k
New or Used: open to either
Body Style: hatch. I actually hate the way they look, but I need to haul bikes around on the regular and don't want an SUV
How will you be using the car?: 15 mile commutes, hour long drives into the mountains, occasional 600 mile / 1200 mile rt road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? Ability to fit 2 bikes into it. FWD or AWD. Standard transmission. Decent performance (say, 180-220 hp, enough to give it a bit of zip). Communicative steering. Firm but not overly stiff suspension.

I'm open to new or used, as long as it is considered a fairly safe buy used. I'd be skeptical of something like a used Speed3 just because I have images of 24 year olds running the engine to redline all the time. For new I'm seriously considering a Kia Forte5 SX, as it seems to fit all of my criteria at a very reasonable price. Any other new cars I should consider, or used cars to keep an eye out for?

I'm in the Denver area if it matters.

Thanks!

nm posted:

^^^^
Why a used speed3, when you can just get a new 3? Doesn't seem like you need the extra power. It isn't like a kia forte ia fast.

I in fact did end up going with the Mazda3 S Grand Touring. I drove it first expecting to quickly eliminate it from convention and welp. It had the least hp and almost the least torque of all the cars I tested but the spec for the price and fit, finish, and layout of the interior was loving lightyears ahead of the Focus ST, the Veloster was just too small, and the Mazda was just the most fun to drive.

Worst warranty of everything but that's a problem for the me 3 years in the future. I'll let that guy worry about it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

This is a replacement car for the wife - she's currently driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was a hand-me-down from her dad. The thing has 185,000 miles on it and is pretty much coming apart everywhere (radiator just failed, a bunch of codes from the evaporative emissions system keep it from being smogged, and when it got brought in for the radiator the mechanic found a ton of other poo poo that I half believe and half think he's trying to gouge us on and anyway it's time for a new car). We have a budget of $15,000 and might be able to stretch it just a little bit if it's the difference between a super solid car and a dumpster fire, but ideally we stick to or under that figure. She's pretty ambivalent about whatever kind of car she ends up with, but I do know she would prefer higher fuel economy, and a higher ride height for visibility. Doesn't need to have much in the way of fancy features, so long as there's AC and an automatic transmission she's fine, fancy trip computers, Bluetooth and integrated navigation are kind of wasted on her. We do go backpacking semi-regularly and often end up dragging 1-2 other people along, so the ability to comfortably seat that many people and their packs is ideal.

I'm sorry if this is vague, she's had a steady diet of "dad's last car" so her knowledge of cars and what features are actually out there / what she wants is pretty poo poo. Thanks in advance thread.

Well if you want higher ride height then you're going to get lower fuel economy, plus the higher ride height vehicles tend to cost more because people like your wife want to pay more money for higher ride height. I personally want the ride height to be as low as possible and I don't understand why anyone would want a higher ride height unless they are serious off-roaders or 90 years old and can't get into a lower car but thems the breaks.

Other than that any Japanese or Korean car from the last 3 years or so will fulfill your needs so you may as well just go sit in a few and see which one you like best. None of them are glaringly better or worse than each other for your purposes.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2016

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand why anyone would want a higher ride height unless they are serious off-roaders or 90 years old and can't get into a lower car but thems the breaks.

I hit curbs in my Fusion all the time and it bugs the poo poo out of me. Next vehicle is gonna be an F-250 for this reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I hit curbs in my Fusion all the time and it bugs the poo poo out of me. Next vehicle is gonna be an F-250 for this reason.

You may wish to start paying attention to driving before upgrading your 3600lb killing machine to a 6000lb one.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

H110Hawk posted:

Taffeta White Honda Civic? It won't be super peppy going up hills, but it won't be anemic either. Gets 35mpg on the freeway if you baby it.

Thanks for the recommendation! Is there a particular reason for the color? Is it like ~aesthetically worse~ so cheaper in the used market or is it just a joke going over my head?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks for the recommendation! Is there a particular reason for the color? Is it like ~aesthetically worse~ so cheaper in the used market or is it just a joke going over my head?

Think it is a joke?

For what it is worth, basically nothing sold today except maybe a smart will have issues going up hills. I commuted up the Cajon pass for several months with 100hp and it was fine.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

nm posted:

You may wish to start paying attention to driving before upgrading your 3600lb killing machine to a 6000lb one.

Maybe they shouldn't put curbs so high!

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Proposed Budget: ~$30k

New or Used: New most likely, first time buying a car (rest have been used hand-me-downs, I'm 33)

Body Style: Hatchback

How will you be using the car?: One folding recumbant tricycle, one regular bicycle - so looking to store at least the folding one in the back when travelling to bike somewhere. Primarily will be highway driving since where we live, anything further than a few miles pretty much requires it. But most of its use will be on the weekends.

We've been researching for a while and test drove various hatchbacks, but then found out about the Subaru Impreza. The nearest dealership with Imprezas in stock had a 2015 base model and a 2016 Sport Premium (with the EyeSight upgrade and a few other add-ons). We loved both but really loved the Premium (especially the EyeSight upgrade - we're driving a 2001 Elantra right now, so Bluetooth alone was a big deal already for me!). It fits our budget and all the research we did says it's a great car (and gets good gas mileage).

I just wish it didn't have the Sirius crap built-in and that I could output my iPhone display to the monitor.

Sound like a reasonable choice? Thanks for any input!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It is the most generic car in the world. Wife went from a 2003 Taffeta White Honda Civic LX to a 2013 Taffeta White Honda Civic LX. I'm mainly impressed that the color name has stayed the same for more than a decade.

Driving my Prius V around I hopped in her car the other day and was amazed by the pickup.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

nm posted:

Lots of parking spaces assume that the front part of your car will go over the sidewalk rather than the front of your car hitting the sidewalk. Low cars suck when you're trying to park and you gently caress up the front because you are used to driving any other kind of normal car. Also some have those 'stoppers' that your wheels are supposed to hit so you know when to stop. I used to hit those with the front of my car too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^
I've had a lower than stock car for years and never had that happen because I understand how long my car is. Your car is supposed to stop before the curb (even if the car is high enough to clear).

cletus42o posted:

Proposed Budget: ~$30k

New or Used: New most likely, first time buying a car (rest have been used hand-me-downs, I'm 33)

Body Style: Hatchback

How will you be using the car?: One folding recumbant tricycle, one regular bicycle - so looking to store at least the folding one in the back when travelling to bike somewhere. Primarily will be highway driving since where we live, anything further than a few miles pretty much requires it. But most of its use will be on the weekends.

We've been researching for a while and test drove various hatchbacks, but then found out about the Subaru Impreza. The nearest dealership with Imprezas in stock had a 2015 base model and a 2016 Sport Premium (with the EyeSight upgrade and a few other add-ons). We loved both but really loved the Premium (especially the EyeSight upgrade - we're driving a 2001 Elantra right now, so Bluetooth alone was a big deal already for me!). It fits our budget and all the research we did says it's a great car (and gets good gas mileage).

I just wish it didn't have the Sirius crap built-in and that I could output my iPhone display to the monitor.

Sound like a reasonable choice? Thanks for any input!
Nothing wrong with the impreza, but make sure you drive the 3 as well.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I think the point he was making is that it's probably better to just learn where the front of your car is so you don't have to use the parking blocks or drive up on the curb. What do you guys who don't know how to park do when you parallel park? Just stop when you bounce off the car in front of you?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I don't disagree with any of the advice, but regardless of driving skill or general parking awareness, in a crowded city like LA where I live, it would be nice if the car were a little more forgiving in the event I'm in a rush trying to park while 15 other cars are waiting for me to get out of their way.

E: I was kidding about the f250, by the way. The air dam on the 2015 fusion is brutal, it scrapes the ground constantly, and I'm fairly good at going slow enough and at the correct angle, so it's not just my driving.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

100% Dundee posted:

I think the point he was making is that it's probably better to just learn where the front of your car is so you don't have to use the parking blocks or drive up on the curb. What do you guys who don't know how to park do when you parallel park? Just stop when you bounce off the car in front of you?

A shitload of people do exactly that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So my current car is having some massive electrical problems that may be more expensive to fix than the car is worth. I'm still trying to see if I can get it fixed for a reasonable price, but I'm also considering just saying "gently caress it" and buying something more reliable. Current car is a Hyundai Veloster.

Proposed budget: ~25k max. Might be able to wiggle a bit if there's something 1-2k over budget but I'd like to stay in the low 20s.

New or Used: Preferably new

Body style: Small SUV/large hatchback/wagon. I don't want to be piloting a boat around but I want decent cargo room as well.

How will you be using the car?

I have a 40 minute commute to work one way. My commute is 95% interstate highway so I need something that has enough power to accelerate onto a 75 mph highway without feeling like I need to floor it or I'm going to get squashed by an oncoming tractor trailer because the car can't get its rear end in gear quick enough. Comfortable seats are also a must since I spend a minimum of 80 minutes a day sitting in it.

AWD since I live in the midwest and snow is a thing in the winter, plus I do a decent amount of driving on gravel/dirt roads.

I do competitive dog sports so the trunk has to be able to accommodate a 38" x 24" folded dog crate without folding down the back seats. Will also consider a 60/40 split back seat as long as one half gives me the space I need with adequate space for the dog in the not folded portion. Basically I want to keep the dog stuff in the trunk and the dog in the back seat. Can't really do this in my current car.

I am willing to drive a manual transmission if it'll knock the price down into my price range. Husband doesn't know how to drive a manual so he'll protest on this one but he can deal with it.

My office has electric car plugs so I could consider something electric or a plug-in hybrid, but that doesn't really jive with the rest of my wishlist. Putting it out there anyway in case there's a car out there that's big and electric that I don't know about.

Features I don't need: Navigation (that's what phones are for), fancy-rear end handling (my commute is literally a straight line across one of the flyover states), fancy A/V bells and whistles (all I need is the ability to play music through my iPhone 6)

Features I would like: Heated seats, backup camera, leather/ette seats if possible without getting the most high end trim package, keyless entry/start

Cars I am considering:

Honda Fit, Honda HR-V, Nissan Juke, Mazda CX-3. I'm just in the preliminary stages of shopping so I haven't gone and looked at any in person yet. I'm shying away from Subaru since we bought one for my husband and it's been an absolute poo poo heap of a lemon (naturally it broke a third time to qualify it as a lemon literally a week after the lemon law timeframe expired so we're SOL on that end) despite their reputation as "reliable".

My old 2004 Honda CR-V would be perfect (apart from the acceleration thing) but alas the new CR-Vs are now giant mom cars. RIP old style CR-Vs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Why do you think you need awd for a bit of snow and some gravel roads? Unless unplowed of you're a first responder.

Buy a prius, buy some snow tires, never look back.

Edit: or figure out why you're having so many issues with basically new cars. Maybe a new mechanic.

Also, why exactly are you afraid of "flooring it?" You won't break the car.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 3, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, AWD is going to severely limit what you can get in your price range for very little benefit. Snow tires are the way to go here.

Also, stop breaking your cars. Are you Das Volk's wife?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

AWD isn't a must but more of a "nice to have". I think it's on my mind because we've got lots of snow and ice on the roads right now and my snow tire-less FWD is having a hard time on some side streets that the plows kinda half-assed or missed entirely. Not really worth it for just a few months out of the year though, you're right.

The issue with the Subaru was a factory defect with the cam shaft, not us breaking the car btw. Subaru corporate had to get involved and we didn't pay a dime for it but it's still kinda soured me on Subaru since the drat car had to be in the shop for multiple days 3 or 4 times over the span of a couple months before we got it fixed for good (I hope). Also Subaru interiors are pretty cheap and lovely and not really something I'd like to sit in for my commute every day, but that's just personal preference.

Since buying the Veloster I've now met three different people with the same model year who all had electrical issues and ended up getting rid of the car because it was too expensive to fix. That is entirely my fault for buying a new model of car without any sort of reliability history. I'm still going to get a mechanic to look at it but signs are pointing to it costing $gently caress It so I'm working on a Plan B.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have people tried to buy an SUV without AWD?The theory of why you don't need it is fine, but finding a non base model without it is impossible on a lot of the brands.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Have people tried to buy an SUV without AWD?The theory of why you don't need it is fine, but finding a non base model without it is impossible on a lot of the brands.

Except she said she would be fine with a hatch. Hatches are a lot cheaper than SUVs, if only because of market segmentation. I'd also recommend looking at a wagon, if anyone bothered making those any more.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I would love a Volvo wagon because I am apparently actually a grandma but they're a bit far out of my price range.

Edit: our Crosstrek is actually classified as a wagon for insurance purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

AWD isn't a must but more of a "nice to have". I think it's on my mind because we've got lots of snow and ice on the roads right now and my snow tire-less FWD is having a hard time on some side streets that the plows kinda half-assed or missed entirely. Not really worth it for just a few months out of the year though, you're right.

Get snow tires, problem solved.