Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Pie Reigns Supreme?
This poll is closed.
EVG's Quadruple Ginger Pie 7 15.22%
Brawnfire's Cucurbitastic Pumpkin Pie 4 8.70%
guppy's Rustic Pear Pie 2 4.35%
Hopper's Horse Meat Pie 4 8.70%
CaptainBravo's Tamale Pie 3 6.52%
Suspect Bucket's Mighty Muscadine Pie 10 21.74%
Cavenagh's Steak and Kidney Pie 16 34.78%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello Goons!

This month, I have challenged the newer cooks and bakers of this forum to show me their best pie. Seven have stepped forward to show us their best efforts. Now you, the public, will gaze upon the wonder of these entries and vote to determine who you believe should be our winner!

I have randomized the entry order to show no favor, so please read through all of the above and chose the one that you feel is the supreme pie!

Our winner, as chosen your votes, will receive a copy of one of my own favorite baking books, Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible, as well as a token of our esteem.

Voting will end at 10PM on Saturday, 31 October!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Hard choices between sweet and savory. All of them look drat fine. Gotta go for that steak and kidney pie, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This is a really good-looking NICSA. I've gotta make some hard choices on this one.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Dang, I voted for the grape pie, and now that I see the current polling immediately regret my decision. :negative:

(But seriously, that pie is incredible, we have oodles of wild muscadines around here every year and I've never thought of cooking with them before, so it definitely has my vote. :v:)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are the rules still that if you win a NISCA then you can't be in them any more?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are the rules still that if you win a NISCA then you can't be in them any more?

I don't think that changed. I didn't pie because I've won before.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

contrapants posted:

I don't think that changed. I didn't pie because I've won before.

Bu, bu but the ICSA is scary and hard now if the sesame thing is anything to go by.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 28, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suspect Bucket posted:

Bu, bu but the ICSA is scary and hard now if the sesame thing is anything to go by.

Yeah-huh. Holy poo poo, that's intimidating.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I ended up voting Tamale Pie because it was 3 pies and I really wanted to eat all three, which is pretty well-done.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Some goddamned good entries in here but I had to go with the steak and kidney, I wanted to rip them out of the screen and shove them into my face.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I can still make it! I can!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Holy crap, I go to work and the Steak and Kidney pie votes triple!? :shittypop:

franco
Jan 3, 2003
All wonderful in their own ways - a tough choice! Cavenagh's is obviously deserving of its votes (:drat:) but I have to go for EVG's as that final slice pic is delicious, delicious art that has my stomach growling :eyepop: Going to make that for my dad sometime as he is a total pear and ginger fiend.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Suspect Bucket posted:

You should face your fears, and leave the warm cosy world of the NICSA and enter the stark unforgiving land of full blooded ICSA. Stand up to the challenge armed with Searzall's and dehydrated monk fish liver. Vote Grape and send Suspect Bucket to the outer world!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cavenagh posted:

You should face your fears, and leave the warm cosy world of the NICSA and enter the stark unforgiving land of full blooded ICSA. Stand up to the challenge armed with Searzall's and dehydrated monk fish liver. Vote Grape and send Suspect Bucket to the outer world!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo vote steak and kidney my pie literally got drowned who votes for drowned pie

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GENTLEMEN!

The public has spoken, and our winner is Cavenagh's Steak and Kidney Pie!

Cavenagh, as you do not have PM's, please contact me at <my username without the space> at gmail dot com to arrange shipping for your prize!

Further, for their excellent documentation, step-by-step hand made process, and interesting and relatable story, I would like to extend the Chairman's Award to Suspect Bucket!

I will be contacting you via PM to arrange for delivery.

My deepest thanks to everyone who participated, it was a tough competition to judge and you should all be very proud of the work you have done here. Cavenagh, I hope to see you all in future ICSAs!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BEST RESULT POSSIBLE YESSSSS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

BEST RESULT POSSIBLE YESSSSS

Lol, saved!

Good work everyone! Lots of things I wanna try making!

Congrats on your win, Cav!

What's next? I need to cook again!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Congratulations Cavenagh!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Thanks for all the votes and compliments. A whole lot of good looking pies were made, and I'm flattered to have won against them. Using offal.. And now I must leave the NICSA and enter the stern ICSA arena.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cavenagh posted:

Thanks for all the votes and compliments. A whole lot of good looking pies were made, and I'm flattered to have won against them. Using offal.. And now I must leave the NICSA and enter the stern ICSA arena.

The price of success, friend.

Again, everyone's pies were awesome. Now, of course, I find myself with Calamondin citruses, and itching to make another weird pie... I've done grapefruit pie before, it's super awesome. Ooh, I'll do a cracker crust.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Dang, Suspect, I'm jealous. I can't even get normal kumquats anymore, much less sunquats or calamondins. Do you use the peel in the pie for its sweetness?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Captain Bravo posted:

Dang, Suspect, I'm jealous. I can't even get normal kumquats anymore, much less sunquats or calamondins. Do you use the peel in the pie for its sweetness?

I intend to!

Florida is pretty great

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Bumping to show off the prizes Liquid Communism bestowed upon me.

Not just a book, it's a tome. And there's metric measurements too.

I've never won a medal before. I now need a giant toque, ice white jacket and a snooty French demeanor to complete the outfit.

This time of year, no other place for it.

Thanks LC. It's awesome.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cavenagh posted:

Bumping to show off the prizes Liquid Communism bestowed upon me.

Not just a book, it's a tome. And there's metric measurements too.

I've never won a medal before. I now need a giant toque, ice white jacket and a snooty French demeanor to complete the outfit.

This time of year, no other place for it.

Thanks LC. It's awesome.

I might have to get that book. And that medal!! That's nuts! Congrats again, Cave.

Gotta get home soon and get my package. NISCA and Secret Santa! I can't wait.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Loving the medal hah.

Hopefully EVG is still around - finally getting round to trying her entry, transcribed the recipe into my database with all moon units converted (yes, I am a filthy Brit) but the only thing missing is what oven temperature to bake it at. I would guess 160-180C/320-360F ish - is that about right?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

franco posted:

Loving the medal hah.

Hopefully EVG is still around - finally getting round to trying her entry, transcribed the recipe into my database with all moon units converted (yes, I am a filthy Brit) but the only thing missing is what oven temperature to bake it at. I would guess 160-180C/320-360F ish - is that about right?

I'd actually figure a scootch higher. 400 degrees is what this recipie calls for : http://www.browneyedbaker.com/cranberry-ginger-pear-pie/ The source is from Cooks Illustrated, but that's behind a paywall and I left my CI book at home. So 204c, or for your own regional moon unit, gas mark 6.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I might have to get that book. And that medal!! That's nuts! Congrats again, Cave.

Gotta get home soon and get my package. NISCA and Secret Santa! I can't wait.

It's a really good book. I have a copy of my own.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd actually figure a scootch higher. 400 degrees is what this recipie calls for : http://www.browneyedbaker.com/cranberry-ginger-pear-pie/ The source is from Cooks Illustrated, but that's behind a paywall and I left my CI book at home. So 204c, or for your own regional moon unit, gas mark 6.

Ah great, thanks! Yeah EVG based hers off the CI one too (which I soon found out was paywalled) so this should be right - 200C it is. Gas mark? I may be a Limey but I'm not a barbarian ;)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

franco posted:

Ah great, thanks! Yeah EVG based hers off the CI one too (which I soon found out was paywalled) so this should be right - 200C it is. Gas mark? I may be a Limey but I'm not a barbarian ;)

Are you calling the glorious butchermaster Scott Rea a barbarian?

Kidding. Dude's a killing machine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I got my Chairman's prize! And holy poo poo it's a silver metal!

http://i.imgur.com/jXM7jwh.jpg

This owns owns owns!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Glad you like it!

• Locked thread