Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ok thread, Sony xbr55x810c for $998.00 or an LG 55ec9300 for $1499.00? One is a very nice 4k lcd and the other is a 1080p oled tv. Both of these are at Fry's.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Coredump posted:

Ok thread, Sony xbr55x810c for $998.00 or an LG 55ec9300 for $1499.00? One is a very nice 4k lcd and the other is a 1080p oled tv. Both of these are at Fry's.

OLED

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The X810C is a great TV but the LG OLED is in a different world by comparison. LG, no question.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you're crazy if you choose 4k at 55" over OLED 1080p at 55"

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sellouts posted:

I think you're crazy if you choose 4k at 55" over OLED 1080p at 55"

Wait are you saying you're for or against oled in this case?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Coredump posted:

Wait are you saying you're for or against oled in this case?

4K at 55 inches is utterly pointless. You cannot tell the difference in sharpness unless right next to the loving thing. OLED will rub your balls with its beautiful colors and contrast. Do you want to waste money or get balls rubbed?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
*Balls rubbed for an extra 500+

I'd definitely go with OLED of you can afford it but that 500 can go towards a pretty sweet receiver.

And the blacks/contrast on the 810c are pretty great. Not OLED great but better than IPS panels.

Full disclosure: I own an 810c 55" so I'm DYPing a bit. I was drooling over the OLED but I figure in 5-7 years I can get one for less than what I paid for the 810c.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alright gonna go for oled. Brb digging deeper in the well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ddogflex posted:

4K at 55 inches is utterly pointless. You cannot tell the difference in sharpness unless right next to the loving thing. OLED will rub your balls with its beautiful colors and contrast. Do you want to waste money or get balls rubbed?

Exactly. You'd have to sit 4' away from it to see it imo.

The LG 1080p is the last great panel that is 1080p only imo. And odds are after CES it'll be killed off.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I'm looking for a new TV for my bedroom and I have a budget of around $500. Right now I have a 720p Sony from awhile back so I want to go up to 1080p at least (don't really care about 4k right now) and maybe go up in size a bit. TV sits probably 3 feet from the foot of my bed and and is mostly for gaming/watching movies in bed. If I'm not insanely picky but I do want poo poo to look nice, what should I be looking at?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

50" Vizio E series for 499.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh my god this tv. Fry's was out of stock of the ec9300. But they let me get the 55eg9100 for a hundred more. I'm watching Planet Earth off a Chromecast. And even a source as crap as streaming thru Netflix on an uncalibrated tv this thing looks amazing.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Go get a copy of Skyfall on BD. The Shanghai scene is absolutely jawdropping on an OLED.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slowhanded posted:

Go get a copy of Skyfall on BD. The Shanghai scene is absolutely jawdropping on an OLED.

And the best thing about getting a new and awesome tv is you can sit through utter dross and still enjoy yourself.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
What's the best type of TV for anti-glare purposes? I've got floor to ceiling windows in the living room and am tired of lowering all the blinds every time I want to watch TV during the day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NoDamage posted:

What's the best type of TV for anti-glare purposes? I've got floor to ceiling windows in the living room and am tired of lowering all the blinds every time I want to watch TV during the day.

Here ya go. A good starting point but it's hard to know what is certain in your unique room.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-test-results/reflections-screen-finish-matte-and-glossy?uxtv=3dea

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
So with all this talk of 4K view distance I'm reconsidering my future decisions. My roommate and I play a ton of split screen games so we want to go 60 or 65, but we'll be sitting only like 8 feet away. Should I still just go 1080?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

1080 is probably great.

Can you run these games at 4K?

What is your budget?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The 65" oled is 4k only so easy decision

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did a bit of googling and looks like Netflix is having issues. Anyone else not able to get netflix to run on the built in app on their tv? Is this something that happens fairly regularly?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

sellouts posted:

1080 is probably great.

Can you run these games at 4K?

What is your budget?

No, can't run them at 4K but will watch Netflix in 4k (maybe) and that's really about it. Budget is flexible. I'd like to spend around $1500 or lower.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Good Will Hrunting posted:

No, can't run them at 4K but will watch Netflix in 4k (maybe) and that's really about it. Budget is flexible. I'd like to spend around $1500 or lower.

I'd go bigger and 1080. 4K Netflix looks better than 1080 Netflix, but worse than 1080 Blu-ray. :psyduck: That being said, if 4K for a similar model is like $100 different, I'd go for it. I just wouldn't put much premium on it at all. I'd rather have a 5" bigger screen than a 4K screen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can swing 55" the LG 55EC9100 can be had for that range and looks phenomenal.

I am in the same situation but can't bring myself to not get a 65" screen. For your budget i would look at Vizio M series 65" or Sony 65" 810c if you can find a deal.

Either way I would probably wait until closer to super bowl to see if any deals come up

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Whats the difference between the 810c and 850c? Both looked really nice when I saw them in-store the other day.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Whats the difference between the 810c and 850c? Both looked really nice when I saw them in-store the other day.

The 850 has Trilumos [brand name for nanoparticle coating for wider dynamic range] and supports 3D [who cares]. I'm deciding between the two now at 55" and leaning towards the 850 just because my original budget was close to the $1200 it's going for now. The max brightness is slightly higher on the 850 as well.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

veedubfreak posted:

Did a bit of googling and looks like Netflix is having issues. Anyone else not able to get netflix to run on the built in app on their tv? Is this something that happens fairly regularly?

Not sure what TV you're referring to but my new Samsung was being very broken with the built-in app last night.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Got the 55X9005C set up a few days ago and it's really stunning when you see how thin it is in person, looks great. There is some spotlighting (if thats the term) with the edge LEDs but it's only noticeable in a pitch black room, while we tend to have some ambient light while watching movies. Love the colours on it and the upscaling is fantastic. Watched some Jessica Jones and the granular details you could spot was quite something, like "woah, I can actually read that posters text in the background". Games look great upscaled too, I love this thing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, this might be a shot in the dark but has anyone here tried these guys?

http://us.lemall.com/us/product/x355.html

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
AVS Forum says they're a Chinese manufacturer entering the US in 2016 sourcing what are possibly Vizio panel rejects. Caveat emptor.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can I get some thoughts on this Sharp 50"? Size is good, price seems good, but I can't find many reviews off BestBuy - primary use would probably be for gaming and inputlag doesn't have anything for this specific model (but has a lag of 37ms, "great", for the LC-50LE440U)

Also, the title lists it as "LED" but under specs, the display technology is listed as "LCD"?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LED uses the same panel tech as LCD, just a different type of backlight. All LED TVs are LCD TVs, but not all LCD TVs are LED TVs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ammanas posted:

Not sure what TV you're referring to but my new Samsung was being very broken with the built-in app last night.

Ok, good to know. poo poo still doesn't work this morning. When I hit the netflix button it just goes to a black screen.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I don't really see 50" 60hz 1080p TV being that much of a great deal at $550. I'd pass.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I guess 550 Canadian is like 400 US dollars?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fingers crossed that 2016 will be the year that 65" 4k OLED dips below $3500. I love my W900A still, but I'll always be chasing that OLED dragon until I get it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes, I'm waiting for a 60" 4k OLED for under $2500.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sellouts posted:

I guess 550 Canadian is like 400 US dollars?

Yeah. Sale wise I'm not seeing many 50" below 500$ CAD.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Yes, I'm waiting for a 60" 4k OLED for under $2500.

You might be waiting for a long time for a 60" oled at any price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sellouts posted:

You might be waiting for a long time for a 60" oled at any price

Only 55" and 65" then? I'll have to go with 55" if that's the case. I have an indent in my wall where my Vizio 60" M series is, and there is less than 1/8th inch of space on either side of the TV.