Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The 2000-era He-Man series is that it was written as an 80's style series while trying to convince people it was being written with modern sensibilities.

Its first episode post the pilot was basically teaching Adam the lesson that self improvement doesn't matter, He-Man is more important than you and you don't need acknowledgement or respect from your peers whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The He-Man clip I saw was Skeletor getting like his face melted off and going totally insane and becoming the Skeletor we all know and it was played straight and pretty dark.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The 2000-era He-Man series is that it was written as an 80's style series while trying to convince people it was being written with modern sensibilities.

Its first episode post the pilot was basically teaching Adam the lesson that self improvement doesn't matter, He-Man is more important than you and you don't need acknowledgement or respect from your peers whatsoever.

Your AV reminds me that it's really weird how we never got another Mega Man series aside from that terrible one from the 90's. You'd think that a Mega Man X style show would be pretty successful around the time Toonami was big.

V----Yeah it seems pretty rad. There's an issue with Wily bots straight up choosing destruction over being turned good and Mega Man is pretty hosed up by it.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 30, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
supposedly the mega man comic from archie is what you are imagining and hoping a mega man show would be like

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

The He-Man clip I saw was Skeletor getting like his face melted off and going totally insane and becoming the Skeletor we all know and it was played straight and pretty dark.

It's also not really an example of storytelling or depth, just gratuity.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

OldTennisCourt posted:

Your AV reminds me that it's really weird how we never got another Mega Man series aside from that terrible one from the 90's. You'd think that a Mega Man X style show would be pretty successful around the time Toonami was big.

V----Yeah it seems pretty rad. There's an issue with Wily bots straight up choosing destruction over being turned good and Mega Man is pretty hosed up by it.

In the mid-00s when networks couldn't get enough mediocre anime they had a cartoon based on the Megaman EXE games. Only they inexplicably changed the title to Megaman: NT Warrior

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Was it a reference to the Windows NT kernel? Because fair play if it was.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

OldTennisCourt posted:

There's a pretty good one shot comic published relatively recently that retells that Skeleton origin, should go look it up

Also we're apparently going to get a new Mega Man cartoon in the relative near future, and as for that comic, I think that particular scene would have worked better if it had only been Quick Man who rejected the offer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was a Megaman.EXE / Battle Network series in the mid-2000s. I think it was called "Megaman NT Warrior" or something like that?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Was it a reference to the Windows NT kernel? Because fair play if it was.

It was dubbed by 4Kids so, maybe?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

It was dubbed by 4Kids so, maybe?

It was a Viz/Shopro dub. It was an editorial mess (which is why it gets attributed to the house that hosed one piece over) that had no idea of the game terms (when they weren't changing things to suit themselves ie: Torchman instead of Fireman) and had that weird obsession with chopping and changing the episode order that the WB had at that time.

Course the show entered the black hole of sentai Digimon fell into with season 2 but that's largely academic.

The comic is great (Ian Flyn knows his way around licenced properties) but was recently (?) cancelled (put on "indefinite hiatus" presumably because using the word "cancelled" around the Megaman community is tantamount to Juggling running chainsaws whilst drunk and high) because Archie is run by fuckups who can't budget to save themselves and out of Archie, Sonic and the Blue Bomber they chose their mainstay and dealing with Ken Penders.

That new Archie reboot might be good but it has a heavy shadow over it.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hey what ever happened to those ben 10 shows?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Archie's current issues are more due to lingering effects from the previous management milking the company dry and running things poorly, and Richard Goldwater's widow, who they can't shake off, being generally awful.

They're trying to get things back on track, but ya know, there's only so much you can do when the old guard leaves you a hot mess. The fandom and CSS owners forcing them to drop their Kickstarter despite them actually really NEEDING IT didn't help anything.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Archie's current issues are more due to lingering effects from the previous management milking the company dry and running things poorly, and Richard Goldwater's widow, who they can't shake off, being generally awful.

They're trying to get things back on track, but ya know, there's only so much you can do when the old guard leaves you a hot mess. The fandom and CSS owners forcing them to drop their Kickstarter despite them actually really NEEDING IT didn't help anything.

CSS?

All I knows is that the reboot of Archie has to do a lot of convincing.

Sonic seems stable (bar another spaz attack from Penders which would probably kill the book outright) right now so at least that's something.

max4me posted:

hey what ever happened to those ben 10 shows?

Ran it's course IIRC. Mind you, I heard rumblings of a reboot but in a world where it's easier to gently caress around with flash and stuff the schedules with the aftermath from both sides of the border that doesn't seem entirely likely outside of Bandai's intervention and that's not likely given that they might want to focus on Precure now that Saban's doing that and PokePla (Via their Sprukits line) given that if anything is going to make Gunpla a thing in the US it's going to be slapping pokemon on it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 30, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ConanThe3rd posted:

CSS?

All I knows is that the reboot of Archie has to do a lot of convincing.

Sonic seems stable (bar another spaz attack from Penders which would probably kill the book outright) right now so at least that's something.

Ran it's course IIRC. Mind you, I heard rumblings of a reboot but in a world where it's easier to gently caress around with flash and stuff the schedules with the aftermath from both sides of the border that doesn't seem entirely likely outside of Bandai's intervention and that's not likely given that they might want to focus on Precure now that Saban's doing that and PokePla (Via their Sprukits line) given that if anything is going to make Gunpla a thing in the US it's going to be slapping pokemon on it.

Actually a new Ben 10 show is already in development, either for late next year or sometime in 2017, almost definitely a reboot though, and will probably end up cribbing from Teen Titans Go's playback quite a bit(personally I'd say they should make a Toys To Life type of game for it, it's pretty much perfect for that sort of thing)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Ben 10 was another of those shows where they changed the name of the show after a certain season. I recall there being like 3 name changes, one of them being some time skip thing where everyone is aged up like 5 years. Never watched the show so it was confusing seeing it have 3 names and the same cast apparently.

So apparently Hey Arnold is getting a TV movie to wrap up the show's cliffhanger and maybe test the waters for a new show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Figured I'd show a new short from the World of Steven Universe channel to tide fans over til Monday. Presenting: "Lion Loves to Fit in a Box" (Extended since that one vine/tumblr thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvhYZI8yuwU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

BioEnchanted posted:

Figured I'd show a new short from the World of Steven Universe channel to tide fans over til Monday. Presenting: "Lion Loves to Fit in a Box" (Extended since that one vine/tumblr thing)

I want Lion :3:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sorry, I meant LCS, as in "local comic shop owners." They were pissed at Archie's KS for offering backer rewards that they wouldn't get in on... Despite traditionally being a market that doesn't stick Archie books without someone adding them to their pull list on their own or even giving the company the time of day.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BioEnchanted posted:

Woah, is Amethyst cleaning her room there? This clearly isn't canon. :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sorry, I meant LCS, as in "local comic shop owners." They were pissed at Archie's KS for offering backer rewards that they wouldn't get in on... Despite traditionally being a market that doesn't stick Archie books without someone adding them to their pull list on their own or even giving the company the time of day.

Ah. Yeah, getting anything Archie pre Digital was an exercise in frustration that caused me to hate at LCS it death.

It's a Toy Master (Half rate UK Toys R Us) now.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
Since this is where SU discussion goes for now..."Rose is Pink Diamond" is a popular SU theory and it has a lot of solid evidence backing it. However I've seen an alternate possibility suggested: Rose isn't really Pink Diamond, in fact, PD never existed at all. It was always just White, Yellow, and Blue and the rebellion uplifted Rose to the status of Diamond (or Rose took on the title herself). Rose was always a powerful high-status gem but she wasn't actually part of the Diamond Authority.

Rose actually being PD is still likely, but this theory is also compelling and plausible IMO. Well there are only like 2 or 3 feasible explanations for the whole Pink Diamond thing so any one of them has a chance of being correct at this point.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
CN is bringing back Samurai Jack, the Powerpuff Girls, and Ben 10, Nick is bringing back Hey Arnold and something else, I'm wanting to say As Told By Ginger...why? No kid in their target demographic has any memory of these shows. Are they trying to trade on nostalgia with adults? Are they about to go out of business if this fails?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
people keep bringing up Eh Arnold as a Mature and Good Show, we'll see if they actually want to watch it

Also, you MIGHT remember Gravity Falls (though it happened when you were much younger), so you might want to see this teaser

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Okay whats going on with this thread and SU?

Why was the SU thread closed, and if its closed why are there posts about it here?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

max4me posted:

Okay whats going on with this thread and SU?

Why was the SU thread closed, and if its closed why are there posts about it here?

think about your second question very carefully, you already have the facts and you might be able to piece an answer together from them.

(if the sue thread is closed and if sue is a kids show where would a good place to talk about sue be?)

the sue thread was Just Bad and it's been talked about to death in this very thread, already, so please go back ONE page to see people already answering why it was closed, or back one more page to see someone else barge into the thread asking why sue was closed and everyone answering it again. I really do not want to see a relapse of that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

don Jaime posted:

CN is bringing back Samurai Jack, the Powerpuff Girls, and Ben 10, Nick is bringing back Hey Arnold and something else, I'm wanting to say As Told By Ginger...why? No kid in their target demographic has any memory of these shows. Are they trying to trade on nostalgia with adults? Are they about to go out of business if this fails?

Basically they worked once, so they'll probably work again. Doing something with an existing successful IP is safer than launching a brand new one.

CN is probably super safe with their picks:
Samurai Jack is gonna be part of Toonami, where reruns of the original are still airing and probably with a good enough ratings to propose the whole idea "hey, our block of dubbed anime has great ratings for Samurai Jack, that target demographic is young adults so we can sell different kind of merchandise that they are willing to buy, and last time we invested in a show (Space Dandy) it went well, so lets develop a new SJ"
Powerpuff Girls has had a few specials here and there and, if i recall correctly, it's a mainstay in Boomerang, so it's fairly fresh on kids' minds so it's a safe bet for a show targeted at girls.
Ben 10 has done OK for the past, like, six years but it's a fact that the original series with the ten year old ben did the best (to the point of reruns beating new episodes of Ultimate Alien), so relaunching it now a la Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! is a very safe idea, specially if they can capitalize again with the toyline.

Nickelodeon meanwhile is more what you're proposing, just going hogwild with nostalgia and hoping it'll sell, probably won't go out of business if it fails, but Nick isn't looking very strong nowadays, their biggest IP is marketing juggernaut TMNT but it doesn't look like they're producing stuff that's really catching fire like Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go! or Steven Universe, heck Spongebob is no longer #1 in numbers anymore, Teen Titans Go! consistently beats it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Rewatching Justice League on Netflix with my brother has been great since he was too young to remember watching it and isn't that into DC comics to pick up on the stuff, while every episode being a 2 parter is lame I still like it a lot. I forgot how snarky Batman is in it too :allears:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Rewatching Justice League on Netflix with my brother has been great since he was too young to remember watching it and isn't that into DC comics to pick up on the stuff, while every episode being a 2 parter is lame I still like it a lot. I forgot how snarky Batman is in it too :allears:

They weren't two parters when they aired, they were a full hour long single episode.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Justice League was a head of its time in a lot of ways but in retrospect it is really annoying how almost every character is just the same body template with a different head.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Helbeast posted:

They weren't two parters when they aired, they were a full hour long single episode.
I'm pretty sure they were hour long episodes built as having a Part 1 and a Part 2. Back when Stereo and Widescreen were important enough to have a catchbug before the show started.

Nope, I'm an idiot.

The Timmroid bodystyle was also a compromise meant to simplify animation and help everything stay on model. Watch how things fluctuate in S1/S2 of BtAS, especially with Joker. That's also what prompted the Gotham Knights redo of all the characters.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 31, 2015

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

Justice League was a head of its time in a lot of ways but in retrospect it is really annoying how almost every character is just the same body template with a different head.

It's a carry over from most of the South Korean staff transferring from The Adventures of Superman to Justice League. Which in turn was modeled after the 40s Superman cartoons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

don Jaime posted:

In between online watching services, DVDs, and whatever else, it's fully possible for children to have been raised on many things that were supposedly "before their time." I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle, g1 transformers, the muppet show, and X-men (including Pryde of the X-Men) concurrently in the 90s, and we've come a long way since VHS. Only the most obscure of the obscure will be without any nostalgia appeal.

It's a shame that the Bullwinkle movie was garbage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

don Jaime posted:

Samurai Jack is going to be an Adult Swim or Toonami show, I think.
Ben 10, didn't the last one of those just die off 2-3 years ago?
Powerpuff Girls at least has been in reruns on Boomerang for years, until they did their lovely retooling / rebranding of that channel anyway. I don't know if it still does.

All of the above have been on Netflix at some point in the last couple of years, so it's not absurd to assume that kids that weren't born / old enough to remember them could be familiar with them that way.

As for the Nick properties, Hey Arnold I couldn't tell you, and I have no clue what the gently caress As Told By Ginger is. I guess maybe they were on one of those Nick nostalgia blocks?

No doubt the nostalgia factor is involved in all of these, but either way, if the Chipmunks or the Smurfs or My Little Pony or any of those other '80s properties are any indication, reviving an old popular property is probably a safer bet than playing the odds with a new IP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

Ben 10, didn't the last one of those just die off 2-3 years ago?

Last year actually.

I'm surprised at this franchise's longevity - the show was on pretty much consistently for a decade, and then they had five movies, of which two were live action for reasons unknown. This isn't even getting into all of the video games and other merchandise.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I was curious about Ben 10 a little bit ago, I had gone through a lot of the last one, "Omniverse" a bit. It's not bad? It takes itself a lot less seriously than the more realistic teenage Ben Ten: ______. Apparently Omniverse added a few seasons that I didn't ever see on TV.

Cartoony and silly are good for a series like that. The only thing that is that nothing feels like it has any consequence?

With the first Ben 10, Ben would learn a bit more about the value of his aliens, maybe unlock a different way to use the Omnitrix or an Alien. Eventually he gained some control of the omnitrix. (I think this has gone back and forth a few times.) You think he'd at least have figured out that tapping the symbol would instantly time him out of a hero. Hell, his Grampa does it to him sometimes, or villains.

Rook is a good foil for the sillier teen Ben, seeing as Gwen is away at college. It also switches back and forth between Teen Ben and Boy Ben.

I also kind of liked seeing the Alien Population booming a bit in the underground. It gave us kind of a new environment to play around with outside of Bellwood. That was part of the fun of the first series, going from location to location and using the cross country thing to do it.

It's not amazing my any means, but it's kinda fun. They some threats that come, and take multiple episodes to half a season to deal with. I don't asmk for much from it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Outside of Samurai Jack (and maybe even including Samurai Jack), none of those shows were particularly good the first time around. If reviving them is the best Nick can do, then that's sort of :rip: for them in my opinion.

Besides, the real nostalgia wave about to hit is going to be early-2000s shounen anime stuff

don Jaime posted:

Yes to the first, and Inshallah to the second

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 31, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TwoPair posted:

It mostly got locked in a cycle of

Poster A posts some fanart or some poo poo --> Poster B mocks Poster A for posting that --> Posters C-F chime in to comment on B is an rear end in a top hat

then repeat for months because there were no new episodes and thus nothing to really talk about and sometimes goons can't grasp the concept of just not posting when there's nothing to talk about.

Am I the only guy who was really into this show and posted in the thread a lot, right up until the point where no new episodes had aired in a while and there was nothing left to say that hadn't been talked to oblivion, so I just stopped following the thread?

And then was surprised one day a few weeks/months later to notice it was closed for some reason, and when I checked to see what was going on it was a huge :yikes:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

XboxPants posted:

Am I the only guy who was really into this show and posted in the thread a lot, right up until the point where no new episodes had aired in a while and there was nothing left to say that hadn't been talked to oblivion, so I just stopped following the thread?

nah I did too it's ok. I did like it during when episodes were playing though, it was only Infrequently Terrible then.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

PicklePants posted:

I was curious about Ben 10 a little bit ago, I had gone through a lot of the last one, "Omniverse" a bit. It's not bad? It takes itself a lot less seriously than the more realistic teenage Ben Ten: ______. Apparently Omniverse added a few seasons that I didn't ever see on TV.

Cartoony and silly are good for a series like that. The only thing that is that nothing feels like it has any consequence?

I really loved Omniverse and hated the SERIOUS BEN seasons in between it and the original Ben 10, but I really got sick of them retconning retcons.

The fact that they got somebody who had worked on Liefeld comics to draw pictures of Liefeld-esque alien Ben was magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno i liked that generator rex cross over they did