Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Personally I've never been huge on stabbing builds, but I usually see people grab some enchantments that do things like paralyze them, then you can cut their liver out. Spriggans are pretty great for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Overwined posted:

So I've been playing a lot of DCSS lately, but otherwise I'm a total newcomer. I really love the "sneak up on someone and gut them with a sharp pointy thing" mechanic and Spriggans seem to excel at this. However, they are way too fragile when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan and you've already cashed in your stealth advantage. Any recommendations for a race for such a build?

spriggan is the best race for it, though i think kobolds can also do stealth pretty well. my first stabber was a SpEn of Dithmenos and i 3-runed it handily, just make sure you have a bag of tricks for when things wake up on you. when in doubt, loving run away and dont hesitate to go nuclear with evocables.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Overwined posted:

So I've been playing a lot of DCSS lately, but otherwise I'm a total newcomer. I really love the "sneak up on someone and gut them with a sharp pointy thing" mechanic and Spriggans seem to excel at this. However, they are way too fragile when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan and you've already cashed in your stealth advantage. Any recommendations for a race for such a build?

It's "non-standard" but Deep Elf is pretty good for this. You have a ridiculous Hex aptitude so your spells will be super powerful and you can easily pick up other magic as you go along. Look out for Passwall in particular. Or even start as an EE and use Passwall and Petrify to get your stab on.

e: The main trick to making a stabber succeed is to realize that you can't stab literally everything. Shanking people is great and remains great forever, but eventually you will run into something dangerous that wakes up and won't go back to sleep. So along the way you need to pick up a means for killing things like that, e.g. a better weapon, attack magic, evocations, whatever.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cats are really good for that build. You get a decent damage bonus and the extra lives are basically the same thing as more hp if you're careful.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Samizdata posted:

So, nothing on the green arrows above my mans?

It's a bug with melee hits - even if you don't have Psychomanser powers, the Verve shows up, and afaik there's no way to get rid of it right now (short of investing in the psycho tree so you can discharge it).

If it makes you feel better, I have a dw mans who's had it floating over his head for weeks as I play him on and off, because I punched some things before I had two weapons :v:

re: Powering up, the answer is almost always to boldly go forth into new dungeon types, as long as they don't murder you. Towers, Crypts, Temples all have piles of loot in them. The other thing is your level + dungeon level determines loot, so in the midgame if you just chill in normal dungeons at the lowest possible difficulty, you'll have a hard time finding upgrades. Oh, and be sure all your gear is upgraded with hammers. Just don't hammer it more than once, I don't think there's any visual or ui indication which items you've upgraded, so uh... remember, I guess.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It should be pretty easy to find a "safe" plan for a spriggan until, say, D:7. The starting toolset and running away super-quickly is really strong as soon as you hit XL:2. Don't stand next to anything strong in melee unless it's asleep. Moving away from strong stuff is like, the button you should press most.

The thing about gives me trouble with spriggans is that, kinda like FTL, I don't know if my gameplan is hosed up until long after I've made the critical judgement error. It's very easy to have confuse-stabbing a given monster feel safe because it works 99.9% of the time, and then the thousandth two-headed ogre oneshots you from 50 hp while confused. I've now learned my lesson about ogres but you have to do it for each tough monster that can oneshot you, or kill you in one melee hit + one ranged hit. Since you can only die once per playthrough, and avoiding death from say, D:2 to D:7 on a SpEn is pretty easy so it's a lot of time to spend on each of those lessons. They got better when they got dazzling spray though, I think that was actually a pretty large buff over invisibility.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Unormal posted:

You're a good and powerful human Jordan.

Yeah, the list is cool. You're doing it in a very interesting way even though it's probably more time consuming for you. Thanks a lot!

(Want Renowned Explorers? :3)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's fun to make lists!

Anyway I just want to double check here before I go to the steam thread - did I miss anyone in handing out keys? If so claim your key now or forever hold your piece (well no, I'll still hook you up, the lists might just be smaller).

Incidentally Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans were super wanted by everyone. And Cogmind obviously. And Unormal, I think your PR for Sproggiwood is either too good (everyone owns it already) or not good enough (people don't know just how good it is). There are sproggiwood keys left if that's what you were after.

At this point I'm going to say that the requirement to grab a key is that you have posted at least once in this thread prior to me making this post. Reminder that you can take 1 premium & a reasonable number of base keys from THIS LIST.

If you have PMs I'll PM you, otherwise add me on steam. ID/7hm.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

It's fun to make lists!

Anyway I just want to double check here before I go to the steam thread - did I miss anyone in handing out keys? If so claim your key now or forever hold your piece (well no, I'll still hook you up, the lists might just be smaller).

Incidentally Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans were super wanted by everyone. And Cogmind obviously. And Unormal, I think your PR for Sproggiwood is either too good (everyone owns it already) or not good enough (people don't know just how good it is). There are sproggiwood keys left if that's what you were after.

At this point I'm going to say that the requirement to grab a key is that you have posted at least once in this thread prior to me making this post. Reminder that you can take 1 premium & a reasonable number of base keys from THIS LIST.

If you have PMs I'll PM you, otherwise add me on steam. ID/7hm.

I added you on steam and would like Sproggiwood.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

I posted a late list if that's still eligible. I'll grab Fallen Enchantress and Dark Scavenger if those aren't spoken for. Thanks!
Steam

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 30, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

didnt even look through the right side list before. i'd take defense grid and letter quest remastered

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Someone take that Hammerfight key. It's a Good Game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't feel I post enough to justify requesting a premium key, but I wanted to post and say thank you for both the giveaway and the list of roguelikes - they're super handy, and now I'm staring down the abyss into Dungeonmans, this close to buying it. A roguelike that falls between TOME and Dredmor? One that lets you improve your starting heroes when they die? How many hours am I going to lose playing this - ?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Overwined posted:

Vampires are pretty good for a stabby playstyle - good Short Blades apt, good Hexes apt, good Stealth apt, bat form to run away faster if you gently caress up. As has been mentioned, you generally want to start as an Enchanter for the stabbers since pure Stealth isn't very consistent.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I don't know if I should be offended that there's a Caves of Qud key left, or pleased because everyone already has it.

CAVES OF QUD IS REALLY GOOD GUYS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Highblood posted:

I don't know if I should be offended that there's a Caves of Qud key left, or pleased because everyone already has it.

CAVES OF QUD IS REALLY GOOD GUYS

If I'm not used to playing ASCII roguelikes, how bad is the learning curve in figuring out the GUI? Everything about it sounds good but I'm not sure if I'm up to pushing through that potential wall. (Cataclysm lost me thanks to this very problem.)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I havent played qud for a little while but i think it was pretty easy to pick up. Its got tiles now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I'm not used to playing ASCII roguelikes, how bad is the learning curve in figuring out the GUI? Everything about it sounds good but I'm not sure if I'm up to pushing through that potential wall. (Cataclysm lost me thanks to this very problem.)

The Steam version has tiles as a config option.

The UI is very dense but also very discoverable (and the in-game documentation is great). Think DoomRL, not Nethack.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Someone take that Hammerfight key. It's a Good Game.

I agree! I really had a lot of fun with it. It had a surprisingly decent story too.

Dungeonmans is super good and worth buying. An A+ game I am glad I kickstarted.

(Caves of Qud was top 5 in voting - it is a thread favorite. It didn't actually do it for me though. Do you like crazy survivorman stories? If so you'll probably like it. The UI is not too bad, certainly as good as something like ascii dcss.)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I wouldn't mind a Caves of Qud key if that's cool? I mean, everyone here gushes over it It's kinda making me feel left out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jordan7hm posted:

• :10bux: Doom with the Roguelike Arsenal mod, using Oblige generated levels - Doom is the granddaddy of all shooters, and Doom style gameplay is the basis for most new roguelike FPSs. Why bother with those when you can just play the original though? The Roguelike Arsenal mod is a mod that adds a ton of new weapons and items and randomizes their placement. Oblige is a program that generates random Doom levels and packages them into a megawad (32 levels). Combine the two and you have a game that is a far better shooter than any of the new stuff that's coming out, and almost as good a roguelike. If instead of using Oblige you use actual user designed levels (there are literally tens of thousands of them) you will also have significantly better level design than any new roguelike FPS. Basically don't bother with roguelike FPSs, just play more Doom.

ID open-sourced the Doom engine under GPL a while back. The actual level packs are still proprietary, but if you only want to play fanmade level packs you can download the engine for free, or you can use one of the modified/improved versions like ZDoom or GZDoom. So you don't need :10bux: icon.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ID open-sourced the Doom engine under GPL a while back. The actual level packs are still proprietary, but if you only want to play fanmade level packs you can download the engine for free, or you can use one of the modified/improved versions like ZDoom or GZDoom.

The art and sound assets are still commercial too. If you want to play Doom you need to either buy the game (or pirate it, but that goes without saying) or use Freedoom. Freedoom isn't terrible but the assets just feel wrong.

Anyway I'm sending out keys now. People who post here can still post here claiming stuff but I'm gonna post this in the steam thread too, so check what's available.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Volatile Liquidity is pretty good.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its maybe slightly broken but please just leave it :D

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jordan7hm posted:

The art and sound assets are still commercial too. If you want to play Doom you need to either buy the game (or pirate it, but that goes without saying) or use Freedoom. Freedoom isn't terrible but the assets just feel wrong.

Anyway I'm sending out keys now. People who post here can still post here claiming stuff but I'm gonna post this in the steam thread too, so check what's available.

That said there are so many ways to get the original Doom games dirt cheap, it doesn't even matter.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

its maybe slightly broken but please just leave it :D

Even better when you consider that it doesn't take a turn to cast, so you can instantly dump it on up to 5 enemies!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, I did it: I picked up Dungeonmans due to this thread. So far I'm having a blast playing a Rangerman, and I really love how intuitive all the controls are + the funny writing + how pleasant the tilesets are.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Unormal, Sproggiwood update: girlfriend says to tell you that she's quite enjoying it and it's the only game other than Hearthstone she's played for a significant amount of time on the tablet. And also that the UI works really well, which she wasn't expecting.

I think that may be it, actually. The harsh inventory limit means you need to carefully choose what you carry with you, and a lot of that will be ammo and health. The rest has to be shared with "quest items", armour, and mod packs. Armour is the main degradable, but this all combines to mean that you're encouraged to think of armour as a long-lasting buff rather than as a precious item to be preserved; by the time you start running into unique armour that you really do want to keep for the rest of the game, you have at least decent odds of having found a nano or onyx pack you can use to make it indestructable, at least if you've been doing the secret levels.

Other consumables are all either fairly major (health packs, envirosuits, mod packs, nukes) or are used instantly on pickup and thus don't lead to hoarding.

This should be DoomRL Arsensal, not Roguelike Arsenal. We've come full circle: Doom has inspired a roguelike which in turn has given rise to mods for Doom based on the roguelike.

There is currently a bug where you get that resource for punching no matter what class you are. So if you accidentally punched something in the face at some point, there you go.

Welp, he is dead now. drat random road ambushes!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, I did it: I picked up Dungeonmans due to this thread. So far I'm having a blast playing a Rangerman, and I really love how intuitive all the controls are + the funny writing + how pleasant the tilesets are.

Another one of us, one of us

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I just bought Dungeonmans due to the many recommendations in this thread and I'm really enjoying it. I think it has the most pleasant tiles of any roguelike. The skill system really lets you put together a nice variety of moves quickly instead of slogging through to a certain level before your character is fun to play. Everything looks nice and clean. This may top TOME as my favorite roguelike. I'm really surprised I hadn't heard of Dungeonmans outside this thread. I follow several youtube reviewers and gaming sites and I haven't ever seen the game mentioned on rockpapershotgun or the like.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Meat posted:

I just bought Dungeonmans due to the many recommendations in this thread and I'm really enjoying it. I think it has the most pleasant tiles of any roguelike. The skill system really lets you put together a nice variety of moves quickly instead of slogging through to a certain level before your character is fun to play. Everything looks nice and clean. This may top TOME as my favorite roguelike. I'm really surprised I hadn't heard of Dungeonmans outside this thread. I follow several youtube reviewers and gaming sites and I haven't ever seen the game mentioned on rockpapershotgun or the like.

Are you me? This is exactly how I feel right now. It feels more fun than TOME. It looks great. The skills are great. (The Rangermans skill of shooting a super-shot that pushes you back is useful AND thrilling.) I would not have gotten it without this thread's adulation of it - and what an experience so far!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey folks, I saw Jordan7hm's post in the steam sale thread, and thought I'd come here and tell everyone how much I love Renowned Explorers: International Society. I'm mostly a twin stick shooter / arcade shmup / fps player, but I do like to dabble in a bit of roguelike/roguelite and turn based whatchamacallit type games.

Did you ever want to be an old timey explorer / imperialistic douchebag? Then Renowned Explorers: International Society is the game for you. What really drew me in to RE:IS is the fact that in the battles, you're not just stabbing or casting spells on your opponents. You can be friendly! Or, you can insult or terrify them. The game has a wonderful sense of humor, a large and varied cast of characters to choose from, resource management, research trees, and most importantly to a low-skilled player like myself: adjustable difficulty!

Looking back in the thread a few pages to see if anyone else wrote about Renowned Explorers, I see Burning Rain summed it up quite well.

Burning Rain posted:

Renowned Explorers is more of a exploring-coloured FTL with tactical battles and another, more strategic macro level where you spend your resources to increase stats.

If you're willing to still give away keys from the list, could I please request the PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate + Shooter bundle and/or BloodRayne Betrayal?

I also thank you very much for the generous offer

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 30, 2015

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Crossposting the review thing I typed up for Jordan7hm over in the Steam xmas thread -

My current absolutely favorite roguelike-esque game is Dungeons of the Endless, a game I purchased with low expectations that it then proceeded to blow out of the water. It's got an amazing sci-fi aesthetic that looks great - every character is visually distinct, and the dungeon design while randomized looks very good - there were several rooms that made me stop and admire the flora they'd populated it with. As for the gameplay - the premise is that you guide the survivors of a starship crash out of the dungeon they landed in, hauling their valuable crystal with them. The flow of game consists of exploring a floor one room at a time, setting up modules to produce resources / other modules to defend those rooms - because each dark room can spawn monsters that will attempt to destroy your heroes, their modules, and the crystal (losing this is a gameover).

A key feature is keeping rooms lit - you don't have enough power to turn on all of the lights, so you attempt to set up chokepoints that guard the most vital modules and so on - anyways, it only feels like a roguelike early on while you're primarily exploring the dungeon, because the further you get, the more dangerous the monsters get and your heroes can't level up fast enough to keep pace with them. You have to start relying on the tower defense portion of the game, and the final levels are a tense mix between lots of towers and running your heroes around to meet the harder monsters.

Other elements that make it more roguelike-esque: each level is randomly arranged, death comes quickly if you aren't careful, and there are a variety of playstyles depending on which pod you take/which heroes you have.

It's not a game for everyone, but its mix of genres has me addicted, even if I've yet to fully figure out how to defeat "easy" mode. (It calls normal "very easy" and hard "easy" for some reason.)

Phew, there, a proper review. If you want to check it out, get the pixel edition and don't get the Crystal edition - that just adds a pod you have to unlock and a decent hero - i.e. additions you won't care about unless you really get into the game, and it's not that expensive to upgrade it later on.

And then adding that while I was expecting Sproggiwood to be cute, I was not expecting it to be THIS cute, good lord. It feels like more of a mobile/tablet roguelike than Dungeonmans, but so far this is charming in a completely different way, and I fully intend to roguelike out the rest of the 2015 with these three fabulous games.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

And then adding that while I was expecting Sproggiwood to be cute, I was not expecting it to be THIS cute, good lord. It feels like more of a mobile/tablet roguelike than Dungeonmans, but so far this is charming in a completely different way, and I fully intend to roguelike out the rest of the 2015 with these three fabulous games.

I really think Sproggiwood shines on a tablet. It doesn't feel like a rushed port job or anything on PC, but the game really does work best in short little bursts with touch controls. It's kind of like 80 days (except that 80 days really is a port) in that even if the game works perfectly on PC and is amazing, it still suits one platform just a little bit better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey so DeathBySpoon hooked me up with an early alpha of Roggle to test out. He asked me not to share the build of course but said it was cool if I posted my impressions and some pictures here, so I will.

First off, if you've been following this thread for a while you've seen his own screenshots of the game. So it's no surprise that I'm going to say my very first impression is that the game looks awesome.

Have some pictures!

The levels are really cool. You can fall through the pit area to the level below, which I guess is a get out of jail free card when you're in trouble, and also a way to explore if you're stuck in a dead end.

I've only had a chance to play a couple quick runs (died on level 1, 2, and then 4) but it looks like it's a traditional roguelike in the vein of something like Cardinal Quest. If you've read my posts about CQ before you know I really enjoy that one - there's something to small roguelikes that really allows the mechanics to shine. I think that's why something

It looks like it'll be a bit deeper than Cardinal Quest though. The first indication of this is the killer stats screen.

The second is the item screen, where the weapons all have extra abilities associated with them. Talking with DeathBySpoon he says he's looking to have people experiment with different builds based on said abilities, which is something I'm always looking for in a roguelike.

Combat is still kind of bump based at this stage, but I think there's a lot to work with here. In my more successful run I was kicking some rear end with a bowguy and got taken down by some kind of centipede fellow who hit like a truck. Shoulda jumped the ledge.

Anyway I can't get over how good this game looks, and I'm really looking forward both to playing some more and to seeing it develop even more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yo how do I remap my controls in dungeonmans

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"Sproggiwood is cute", I post. I picked easy difficulty because I didn't want to die that often in such a cute game.

Four deaths later in the first non-tutorial dungeon, this adorable game disguises a vicious, thinking interior. I'm going to have to be WAY more careful with my little farmer and those horrible, horrible goats.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

IronicDongz posted:

yo how do I remap my controls in dungeonmans

C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Dungeonmans\keybinds.txt

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Somebody give me a Babby's First Build and "do this first" tips for Caves of Quid so that I can stop getting wrecked by baboons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

roggle looks really cool