Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Presented without comment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76tyhF1Sg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This came up in my Steam queue, Star Citizen getting owned by one dude: Rodina :v:

quote:

RODINA is an immersive space exploration game which allows players to seamlessly travel across an entire, full-scale solar system. Seamless means your character can travel anywhere - in space, on planets, and in your ship – with no loading screens!

Roadmap

https://vimeo.com/85312818

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Doing Dr Smart's Work In the Verse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hq00aA0afQ

The orange and blue poofs are people's ships blowing up on the starting station launch pads.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

The economy should be difficult and harsh unless you paid to win with a $2500 autism chariot.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

What the heck is this jank I see every time the doors open?

THIS:

I assume textures loading too slow, but I have never seen this in a game before, any tech head know what is going on?

I love how in every single gif or video the engine looks like a wheezing sack of poo poo ready to crash at any moment. And that's in a tiny tech demo with hardly any players around. Somehow shitizens expect this duct taped bag of crap to scale up into a whole universe of possibilities with 100s of players per instance.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Daztek posted:

This came up in my Steam queue, Star Citizen getting owned by one dude: Rodina :v:

Roadmap

This is actually pretty impressive, especially that it's largely being done by one guy. He probably doesn't know anything about game development though...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

gently caress I lost my last ship to pirates. I guess I will work as a flight attendant on DarthGoku's spacebus.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I played that Rodina game and it's hilariously basic. Nothing close to star citizen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Daztek posted:

Roadmap

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Where is fidelity? I don't see any loving fidelity here. A garbage game for garbage poors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

illectro get in here and accept your award for Troll of the Year. That was perfect.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Someone please send him a copy of Universal Combat CE /w multiplayer. You can do every loving thing he just described, in UC.

Not to mention the fact that you can offload an entire (over 100+) ship's crew on a planet, given them orders (with their own individual AI heuristics).

And you can EVA. With weapons. And take pot shots at ships (or another Space Force Marines) flying past. While walking on top of your cap ship or a station.

The only thing you can't do in UCCE (with multiplayer) is have an EVA pilot "enter" your ship. And that's only because the inside of ships is not modeled in that game. But it is in LOD. And we have an entire loving multi-level carrier that makes their Constellation look like a mini standing next to a freight train. A carrier that currently only devs can fly. A carrier that, as an entire scene, can handle 256 clients - without breaking a sweat.

Amateurs and their $104M tech demo.

Okay but none of that poo poo is cool in your poo poo rear end game. Sorry.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Berious posted:

I love how in every single gif or video the engine looks like a wheezing sack of poo poo ready to crash at any moment. And that's in a tiny tech demo with hardly any players around. Somehow shitizens expect this duct taped bag of crap to scale up into a whole universe of possibilities with 100s of players per instance.

Oh how right you are. Occasionally I'll pop in to see how things are :airquote: coming along :airquote: and every step I take feels like the game is going to fall apart at the seams.

I remember one of the first things I noticed was "motion blur" when you spin around, and I had JUST finished reading an article about visual effects in video games that needed to go the gently caress away, and motion blur topped the list.

It's almost as if, and I know I'm reaching here, but it's almost as if Chris Roberts is somewhat out touch with modern gaming.

This engine can barely handle the tiny little area they've built. Really, it's not handling it, when you get right down to it. And you can feel when you play that it's not an issue of optimizing or bug-fixing - it's an issue that it was built wrong from the jump.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The videos all look insanely badass, actually.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

What should Derek name his book/expose/memoir? I have some possible titles:

1. Smart Speak: The Derek Smart Story

2. My Struggle

3. JPEGs Into Ashes: How One Developer Brought Down Gaming's Biggest Scam (And Lived to Tell)

4. Smart-22

5. A Treatise on Dialectical and Historical Materialism as Regards Internet Spaceships

6. Smart Emperor of Goon

7. Battlememoir 3000AD

Edit:

8: That's Him in the Wheelchair!

I still propose the following:

"The Restaurant at the End of the 'Verse"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Source

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

No that's a bad ugly game, shut up I don't have to explain why, star citizen will be much bet- no shutup it IS PLAYABLE...gently caress YOU IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH SPENDING THE KIDS COLLEGE FUND DONATING TO - LOOK CHRIS ROBERTS KNOWS EXACTL- FINE TAKE THE KIDS I DON'T GIVE A poo poo......More space citizen for me ahehehahhuughhhhhhhhawwwwwwgh!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://giant.gfycat.com/AllDirectAdamsstaghornedbeetle.webm

Gamer: Wow! Check out those rockets! The lighting is really detailed! Can't wait to dive into Chris Roberts' universe again, it's been far too long!

""""Gamer""": Durrrrr i noticed some dropped frames. basically this looks like a unity3d demo. I heard one of the community managers of this game is a lardass, lol. I'm going to post 800 pages encouraging Derek Smart to write idiotic and unfunny blog posts. GOons ruine everything ahahahahahahaha YASE!

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 30, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

loving hilarious poo poo my man. Can't wait for more hilarious rear end bug reports of alpha software. Did you know that you can glitch through walls in the PRODUCTION version of the legend of zelda?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Daztek posted:

Roadmap

If only it wouldn't look like Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Are they called Buggs because regular old Bugs aren't good enough for Star Citizen?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Are they called Buggs because regular old Bugs aren't good enough for Star Citizen?

I think he's chocking on something.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Who are they writing this poo poo for? The devs are certainly never going to read any of it.

Omi-Polari posted:

But seriously Derek you should call it Smart-42.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

What should Derek name his book/expose/memoir? I have some possible titles:

1. Smart Speak: The Derek Smart Story

2. My Struggle

3. JPEGs Into Ashes: How One Developer Brought Down Gaming's Biggest Scam (And Lived to Tell)

4. Smart-22

5. A Treatise on Dialectical and Historical Materialism as Regards Internet Spaceships

6. Smart Emperor of Goon

7. Battlememoir 3000AD

Edit:

8: That's Him in the Wheelchair!

9. You should have listened to me
10. Told you so
11. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

9. You should have listened to me
10. Told you so
11. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

12. Here We Are
13. The End

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Who are they writing this poo poo for? The devs are certainly never going to read any of it.

Game takes ages to load.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Amethyst posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/AllDirectAdamsstaghornedbeetle.webm

Gamer: Wow! Check out those rockets! The lighting is really detailed! Can't wait to dive into Chris Roberts' universe again, it's been far too long!

""""Gamer""": Durrrrr i noticed some dropped frames. basically this looks like a unity3d demo. I heard one of the community managers of this game is a lardass, lol. I'm going to post 800 pages encouraging Derek Smart to write idiotic and unfunny blog posts. GOons ruine everything ahahahahahahaha YASE!

yore a bad postor and nobody likes you

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

14. Hitchhikers guide to not being scammed by a washed up 90s game dev who failed at a career as a Hollywood director

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Amethyst posted:

loving hilarious poo poo my man. Can't wait for more hilarious rear end bug reports of alpha software. Did you know that you can glitch through walls in the PRODUCTION version of the legend of zelda?

you're trying really hard so i'll acknowledge you. i'm so angry that you don't think star citizen is a piece of poo poo. so angry. like a nerd would get. or a dweeb. i punched a hole in my wall because of how wrong i think you are. by the way, this is the easiest thread on this forum to get a reaction out of and your failing at that.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Madcosby posted:

What is wrong with these people??

EEEEVEEERYTHIIINGGG!!!

/Oldman

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

yore a bad postor and nobody likes you

Who the gently caress are you? I don't know if I can continue living if "Tijuana Bibliophile" doesn't enjoy my posts in this, the worst thread on the forums.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

12. Here We Are
13. The End

14. SUCK IT DOWWWWN!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

14. SUCK IT DOWWWWN!

Thanks for this hot ref, fresh from 1997

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Edgy Star citizen goons: Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBOgtp0Hac

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Amethyst posted:

Who the gently caress are you? I don't know if I can continue living if "Tijuana Bibliophile" doesn't enjoy my posts in this, the worst thread on the forums.

Nah this is the best thread even lowtax thinks so he even bought a domain name just for this thread for a Xmas gift for us it's :gary: http://www.wingcommanderthemovie.com :yarg: check it out.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Amethyst posted:

Hey no, hey guess what? no

Hey here's a thing,no.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Amethyst posted:

That will be the contents of my "told you so" post on r/starcitizen when Chris announces he's leaving gaming to concentrate on his mocap business. Title: "Chris Roberts just made you his bitch". Those guys love 90s vidya nostalgia so I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Berious posted:

That will be the contents of my "told you so" post on r/starcitizen when Chris announces he's leaving gaming to concentrate on his mocap business. Title: "Chris Roberts just made you his bitch". Those guys love 90s vidya nostalgia so I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

I'm sure it will work out for you as well as it did for John Romero.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Don't Forget Your Towel: How to wash away the shame of being a Cultizen

Amethyst posted:

I have nothing but respect for what you are doing, it's a time honored tradition that goes back to our ancestors. But could you please do it properly or at least be funny at it? Show some pride in your work man.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 30, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Will there be zombies in Star Citizen? I mean apart from backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread