Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Urobochi thinks Rin is the best girl.

Urobuchi posted:

It isn't a relationship fueled by instinct like the relationship between a man and a woman, but a romance of logic between two people who need each other from the heart. I think the Saber route could have been told as a story through the ancient Greek views on love. That's what makes Saber's story so refreshing, and why she's become such a popular character. On the other hand, I think the true heroine of Fate/stay night is Rin. In the Rin route, an equal relationship with a woman who's become stronger than men is depicted. Rin and Shirou mend each other's weaknesses with their own unique strengths, and I think it makes for a very nice relationship.
http://tsukikan.com/misc/nasu-kinoko-takeuchi-takashi-urobuchi-gen-special-forum.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Urobuchi is wrong.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will very rarely say Gen Urobuchi is correct, but this is one of the few times he is

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

UBW is the canon route because it sets up the NTR doujin where Sakura steals Rin's man

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Urobuchi has a point...but that's also why, from an in-universe perspective, Rin and Shirou shouldn't end up together. Sakura needs Shirou to be happy; Rin can be just as happy in a relationship with Rider.

The relationships in Fate make the least sense when you actually think about it, though. Saber is like, 25, and she's getting it on with high school students.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Rin and Shirou's relationship pretty much falls apart as soon as you seriously include Sakura into the mix because there is just no way in hell you can justify Shirou abandoning her to follow Rin's dreams or Rin trampling over her sister's feelings.

HF makes UBW's endings really awkward.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

I've always liked the comparison between Batman and Saber Alter.

Aside from that, one of the big strengths of Fate I think is that like Nasu said, each heroine represents a different side of romance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

Rin and Shirou's relationship pretty much falls apart as soon as you seriously include Sakura into the mix because there is just no way in hell you can justify Shirou abandoning her to follow Rin's dreams or Rin trampling over her sister's feelings.

HF makes UBW's endings really awkward.

Considering he knows nothing about that poo poo in either Fate or UBW and it's been stated Rin and Waver come back to wreck Zoken's poo poo, yes you can justify that. I dunno what reality you exist in where Shiro inherently knows Sakura's situation outside of HF, but if you never knew about HF you'd just assume she had a lovely home life because of Shinji and that's resolved at the end of UBW, sooooo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also the idea that you somehow make one possibility irrelevant because another is not tied up is loving stupid, because I can just as easily say Saber is left to fester in her own misery if HF is canon and Archer just flat out vanishes without proper resolution like in UBW

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silver2195 posted:

The relationships in Fate make the least sense when you actually think about it, though. Saber is like, 25, and she's getting it on with high school students.

She also comes from a time period where women married at 13 and multiple decade differences between husband/wife royalty were pretty commonplace.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What is Saber's deal again. Like she was a guy at some point then was turned into a lady by Morgan? It's been a while and I don't know if you can use period proper mentality for someone like Artoria

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Baal posted:

What is Saber's deal again. Like she was a guy at some point then was turned into a lady by Morgan? It's been a while and I don't know if you can use period proper mentality for someone like Artoria

She legitimately pulled out the Sword in the Stone. But being a girl was a no-no for the King of Britain. So, they dressed her up like a guy and put her on the throne. Then she had a sham marriage with Guinevere to keep up appearances. That's why Guin fooled around with Lancelot. But, they needed an heir. So, Merlin used magic to give Arturia a temporary dick to knock up Guin. That popped out Mordred as a kind of homonculus.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
arturia: "yes i am queen of britain, it's me"

merlin: "wait poo poo... we live in the middle ages"

arturia: "oh drat you're right"

merlin: "i'll use magic to make it seem like you're a guy"

arturia: "yeah ok"

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Baal posted:

If I remember, Merlin used magic to make everyone think Arturia was a man, but some of the Knights of the Round Table, like Bedivere, knew. I think Mordred's deal is that Arturia was briefly turned into a man, and she's kinda technically Arturia's daughter, but Arturia was born a girl.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, I remembered it being that she was born a girl then I read Mordeed's background and got confused because I don't remember it being as convoluted as it seemed there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i had no idea mordred was even a character before this discussion. she's got cool armor

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Basically Merlin is a prankster god in the Nasuverse and it's surprising he still only really exists in the realm of backstory.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:staredog: Well, Nikolai Tesla sure has some ridiculous poo poo. Easily the best of the story locked Servants so far. Second highest max attack (11781) out of all Archers, plus his skills and NP are absolutely insane.

Skill 1: Galvanism A. A fairly standard NP charge rate up skill. This one's pretty normal, albiet always nice to have.
Skill 2: Natural Born Genius A. 80% chance (each) to apply Defence Up and NP Damage Up to self, plus a 1000 health Guts (basically battle continuation). Any of these by themselves would be quite nice, but all three in one skill is :gonk:
Skill 3: Pioneer of the Stars EX. Charges your own NP bar by 30%, and gives you invincible pierce AND gives you 10 stars. As usual with these skills, you get more NP gauge as you rank the skill up, but not more stars, so this is only disgustingly powerful instead of completely broken.

His Noble Phantasm is a buster AoE that has a chance to apply Stun... and also is super effective (an additional 150% modifier at level 1!) against Servants with the Sky or Earth hidden trait. You can't see who has these ingame as far as I know, but there's a list here.

As you can see, it doesn't apply to the majority of Servants, but the ones it -does- apply to tend to be amongst the nastiest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

-Troika- posted:

:staredog: Well, Nikolai Tesla sure has some ridiculous poo poo. Easily the best of the story locked Servants so far. Second highest max attack (11781) out of all Archers, plus his skills and NP are absolutely insane.

Skill 1: Galvanism A. A fairly standard NP charge rate up skill. This one's pretty normal, albiet always nice to have.
Skill 2: Natural Born Genius A. 80% chance (each) to apply Defence Up and NP Damage Up to self, plus a 1000 health Guts (basically battle continuation). Any of these by themselves would be quite nice, but all three in one skill is :gonk:
Skill 3: Pioneer of the Stars EX. Charges your own NP bar by 30%, and gives you invincible pierce AND gives you 10 stars. As usual with these skills, you get more NP gauge as you rank the skill up, but not more stars, so this is only disgustingly powerful instead of completely broken.

His Noble Phantasm is a buster AoE that has a chance to apply Stun... and also is super effective (an additional 150% modifier at level 1!) against Servants with the Sky or Earth hidden trait. You can't see who has these ingame as far as I know, but there's a list here.

As you can see, it doesn't apply to the majority of Servants, but the ones it -does- apply to tend to be amongst the nastiest.

I know Beast's Lair and other people were bitching on him being absurdly overpowered but considering popularity and folklore makes servants stronger, all the reddit/cracked/the oatmeal pieces about him obviously pushed him to superman level.

And then Teddy Roosevelt appears on the next stage as a 5 Star Gunner

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sylphid posted:

Basically Merlin is a prankster god in the Nasuverse and it's surprising he still only really exists in the realm of backstory.

He's on Garden of Avalon isn't he?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Baal posted:

Considering he knows nothing about that poo poo in either Fate or UBW and it's been stated Rin and Waver come back to wreck Zoken's poo poo, yes you can justify that. I dunno what reality you exist in where Shiro inherently knows Sakura's situation outside of HF, but if you never knew about HF you'd just assume she had a lovely home life because of Shinji and that's resolved at the end of UBW, sooooo

They do? Where?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Traveller posted:

They do? Where?

Rin and Waver come back sometime after UBW to dismantle the Greater Grail system, and there's a conflict on the scale of the Holy Grail War. There arn't any details released about it thus far.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Mordred's deal is that Morgan made a homunculus clone of Arthur in ways I don't remember. Actual clone, thus why she's a girl. Hilariously, since she's not in on Arthur's secret she's totally convinced she's a guy because daddy was a guy too and since she's a clone then she gotta be a guy too right? :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

She was conceived between Artoria and her sister, Morgan le Fay, through unorthodox circumstances. Artoria, normally female, was a pseudo-male at the time due to Merlin's magecraft, so Morgan enchanted her with a spell to extract sperm from her. Morgan developed it within her own ovary, and made the child into a homunculus clone of Artoria. Due to her status as a homunculus, she was given a much faster growth period than a regular human being, and her life span was far shorter. She was raised in secret and told to hide her status and obey the king until the time was right.[5]

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
These are the parts of Fate I blame on Takeuchi. And no, I don't care who is actually responsible.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I go home to get the Atlas Academy Master outfit and start on London and of course Grand Maintainence...

Never change DelightWorks, never change now give me my free quartz

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Twiddy posted:

These are the parts of Fate I blame on Takeuchi. And no, I don't care who is actually responsible.

The whole thing is a disaster area, agreed, but if you're going to make Arthur a girl, you gotta accept the consequences.

Though, you could have made Morgan Arthur's sister and she has a kid with some shmuck or hey, magical pregnancy or whatever, who coincidentally looks quite a bit like her aunt and that fuels her desire for the throne or something. Bam.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mordred knows she's a girl, she just really dislikes people calling attention to it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That or Morgana being a dude, yeah.

So there's no reason to spend my Quartz until New Years Day, eh?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Arbite posted:

So there's no reason to spend my Quartz until New Years Day, eh?
New year event info released! Now is the time to use your Quartz on the seventh day! :kingsley:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

morgana, evil wizard: i shall get pregnant with arthur's child

arthur: i have a vagina

morgana, EVIL WIZARD: oh no, how will i, THE EVIL WIZARD, who uses EVIL MAGIC, solve this

for real though if you cut out the 'pseudo-male' part of that sentence because yikes, it works fine. morgana got cells from arturia and impregnated herself with them. how? magic. mordred has two moms.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 30, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just FYI there's another gacha apart they haven't told us about (yet). Apparently they're gonna give you a guaranteed 5* roll.

I'll post the pic once I have it extracted, please stand by. (You may've seen it floating around with a big gently caress OFF REDDIT watermarked. /a/ so pathetically salty, jesus christ)

Don't wanna crop it, got stuff to do.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 30, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Specifically, you have to do a 40-quartz roll for that guranteed 5-star.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GILGAMESH
GILGAMESH
GILGAMESh

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Does it guarantee a 5-star SERVANT, though, or can you get a 5-star CE as well?

laith_rem
May 9, 2015
Guaranteed Servant

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If I don't get scathatch or karna I'm gonna flip my poo poo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wtf is this 1% pool poo poo I keep seeing in the reddit thread. Is it not just you do a 10 Roll during these times and you get x servant?

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
There is also another rumor of a Year end lucky bag purchasable with 16 Prisms which gives you a 5* ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
16 for a new year's grab bag, not sure of what. Definitely not a 5* ticket.
160 prisms for a grab bag of asc & skill mats.

Guaranteed 5* servant from special 1-time gacha. Can only 10roll it. It seems to require bought quartz.

Mona Lisa for sale for 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600 and 1800 prisms. Top lel as if anybody would buy it at those prices.

1% pool IIRC refers to the fact you have a 1% chance of rolling from the 5* pool. Rate up controls drop rates within a given rarity pool. So you're still just as unlikely to get a 5* in general, but if you do roll one he'll be more likely to be the one in the rate up.