Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks guys. Bittorrent sync does look ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Should apply to my surface book. Installing.

Thanks!

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I'm really liking BitTorrent Sync. I've got a movie directory shared between two machines in the house and also updating with my mother's PC whenever she turns it on. It uses local traffic automatically for 'in house' transfers too, which is nice.

Does anyone know if the external (WAN) torrent traffic is subject to ISP's knowing what is being sent? I use a VPN so I'm alright, but I wouldn't want my mother getting an email via Hollywood. Is BitTorrent Sync traffic less easy to identify than a torrent swarmed from Kickass Torrents or ThePirateBay?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DeaconBlues posted:

I'm really liking BitTorrent Sync. I've got a movie directory shared between two machines in the house and also updating with my mother's PC whenever she turns it on. It uses local traffic automatically for 'in house' transfers too, which is nice.

Does anyone know if the external (WAN) torrent traffic is subject to ISP's knowing what is being sent? I use a VPN so I'm alright, but I wouldn't want my mother getting an email via Hollywood. Is BitTorrent Sync traffic less easy to identify than a torrent swarmed from Kickass Torrents or ThePirateBay?

You get those letters not from someone doing deep packet inspection (wouldn't work anyway), but from someone simply joining the swarm and logging all the IPs they see send a chunk. The contents of what you're sharing can't be distinguished from, well, anything else that might be there (any file backups, etc).
They could identify the protocol but that's about it. You might still suffer traffic shaping, but they can't send you a letter for simply using the protocol.

You can test it with/without a VPN to see which way yields a better speed.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
That makes sense. Cheers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
look at this piece of poo poo: http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/windows-encryption-key-backup.html
Would surprise me if anything in that stupid article is true.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

redeyes posted:

look at this piece of poo poo: http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/windows-encryption-key-backup.html
Would surprise me if anything in that stupid article is true.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/12/microsoft-may-have-your-encryption-key-heres-how-to-take-it-back/

quote:

To combat that, device encryption stores a recovery key. For domain accounts, the recovery key is stored in Active Directory, but in the common consumer case, using a Microsoft account, it is instead stored in OneDrive. This recovery key can be used after, say, a motherboard replacement or when trying to recover data from a different Windows installation.

It may be true that Microsoft has the decryption keys to your encrypted hard disk if you bought a PC with Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 preinstalled, if it supports device encryption (we still come across machines that for one reason or another don't support it or need reconfiguration to support it), and if you use a Microsoft account to log into Windows. But it isn't a security disaster that they do, and if you aren't happy that they do, it takes no more than a couple of minutes to delete the copy of the key they hold and then update your system to render their key useless. This can be done on any Windows version, even Home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

I don't want to defer updates, I'm resigned to no longer being in control of my computer. All I want now is to use working drivers on my system, without windows reverting them back to non working ones.

And:

redeyes posted:

Pro will allow you to defer updates.

Holy poo poo, finally a reason besides remote desktop server and Hyper-V to upgrade to Windows Pro.

Does turning off feature updates in Pro mean I get back Win 7/8 "feature stability" with truly just security updates? Because if so that fixes a lot of power user issues where I log in to my machine and expect it to work the same since the last time I used it. Given all the phone home bullshit + new half baked "features" dreamed up by the marketing department I'm nearly ready to jump ship but being able to turn off all that poo poo might just be enough to keep using it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 30, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

And:

Holy poo poo, finally a reason besides remote desktop server and Hyper-V to upgrade to Windows Pro.

Does turning off feature updates in Pro mean I get back Win 7/8 "feature stability" with truly just security updates? Because if so that fixes a lot of power user issues where I log in to my machine and expect it to work the same since the last time I used it. Given all the phone home bullshit + new half baked "features" dreamed up by the marketing department I'm nearly ready to jump ship but being able to turn off all that poo poo might just be enough to keep using it.

Well, the thing is that Win 10 was released probably 6 months before it was ready. This means that they are still fixing features. Most recently the Threshold 2 update made the interface more consistent in terms of fonts and scaling high dpi screens. Things that windows needs fixed badly. I couldn't tell you if major stuff is planned as updates but according to the whole windows as a service thing, maybe so. Having said all that, defer updates is a one click option in Pro, I never wake up to a rebooted computer. You have access to GPEdit.msc so you can fine tune almost anything. Personally I shitcanned defender right off, deferred updates and thats it. My z170 box is stable as a rock, in fact, I haven't had one bluescreen or crash since win10 was released. Doesn't mean anything but makes me happy.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh, btw if you are mad about that Microsoft online password thing but use Chrome: Google knows all your passwords because by default Chrome just uses your account password for sync. You have to set a separate one so google can't just read it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

redeyes posted:

Personally I shitcanned defender right off

Wait... I thought Windows Defender + Windows Firewall were good, and that an antivirus program was no longer needed as of W10...

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
They are good.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Welp it looks like the latest Intel AC 8250 wireless drivers cause regular dropouts and "no internet" errors, rolling back the driver worked but gently caress this poo poo, so glad I didn't have them snuck on me via automatic update.

Also trying to log on with a pin or fingerprint is giving me a message saying that the system has been locked for security, plug it into the mains and wait at least two hours before trying again. I've left it plugged in overnight and still getting that message. Password login still works but seriously wtf. I am using a local account and this is a laptop not a phone, so google results are unhelpful.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kairos posted:

Is there any meaningful difference in how "clean" the result is between using the Refresh option and doing a traditional scorched earth nuke-and-reinstall? By which I mean not counting your personal files remaining in place, just things that could impact the system.

Theoretically, no.

Practically, yes.

The Refresh seems to have hosed drivers sometimes because ???.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Wait... I thought Windows Defender + Windows Firewall were good, and that an antivirus program was no longer needed as of W10...

That's correct. I think they re-re-re-branded it recently, but whatever they're calling it this week is possibly your best option for windows, along with regular security updates.

Riso posted:

Oh, btw if you are mad about that Microsoft online password thing but use Chrome: Google knows all your passwords because by default Chrome just uses your account password for sync. You have to set a separate one so google can't just read it.

Yeah I always thought it was creepy that I could login to a brand new phone and it already knew my home WiFi password. When I found out that the feds were successfully intercepting all SSH/SSL traffic between Google data centers, I went through and redid all my passwords.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Theoretically, no.

Practically, yes.

The Refresh seems to have hosed drivers sometimes because ???.

Does anyone have a clear answer to this? Hitting 'reset my PC' and choosing to keep nothing absolutely does not keep nothing; it seems many (all?) drivers are kept. Three devices on my brother's laptop which aren't available from windows update + the Catalyst control centre were all revived intact.
It seems less a "clean" install than it is a verified-working base state.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Khablam posted:

Does anyone have a clear answer to this? Hitting 'reset my PC' and choosing to keep nothing absolutely does not keep nothing; it seems many (all?) drivers are kept. Three devices on my brother's laptop which aren't available from windows update + the Catalyst control centre were all revived intact.
It seems less a "clean" install than it is a verified-working base state.

For shits and giggles, look in %appdata% and see if there are old program folders in there as well.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Windows 10 will also download the drivers it thinks you need during install. If you want a purely clean install you have to unplug the ethernet cable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So I removed a bunch of apps via Powershell so they wouldn't be on any user logins. Now when I login as a new user, I see this in the start menu:

Any idea how to remove those 5 on the bottom? Right-click has nothing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My answer to all Win10 start menu insanity is to just install Classic Shell since it's still more comfy and usable. You can always uninstall it in a few seconds if you don't dig it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I prefer to re-add the classic quicklaunch tool bar still housed in %appdata%/Internet Explorer, right click on the start menu to get the administrative shortcuts and use winkey+typing out the name of whatever else I want to run.

The start menu itself is terrible, right down to mandatory smooth-scrolling that ignores all related smooth scrolling system preferences, but its pretty good as an anchor location for those three other start-ish functions. Just never left-click on start itself.

Is there a way to manage the recycle bin settings without having to re-enable the goofy desktop Icon whenever I connect a new external drive?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I prefer to re-add the classic quicklaunch tool bar still housed in %appdata%/Internet Explorer, right click on the start menu to get the administrative shortcuts and use winkey+typing out the name of whatever else I want to run.

The start menu itself is terrible, right down to mandatory smooth-scrolling that ignores all related smooth scrolling system preferences, but its pretty good as an anchor location for those three other start-ish functions. Just never left-click on start itself.

Is there a way to manage the recycle bin settings without having to re-enable the goofy desktop Icon whenever I connect a new external drive?
file explorer -> desktop should always show it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hey that works. You are fantastic, thank you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Since my child got a new Windows 10 laptop for Christmas, I got the old one. I did the free upgrade to 10, and let it boot up to verify it was activated.

I then booted the computer from the USB stick that I installed the MCT on, and chose Custom to do a clean install. I saw that I could choose to install Pro, so I said, "Cool! I'm gonna go with that!", even though the laptop had Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

ProTip: Don't do this. If you don't have a version of Windows 7 that qualifies for an upgrade to 10 Pro, just ignore the Pro option that the MCT offers. Windows 10 won't activate.

I booted from the USB again, and this time, I didn't choose Pro, everything went fine*, and Windows 10 is now activated.

* For some reason, when it asked for a Key, I put in the Windows 7 key the laptop came with, and MS said it was no good. I skipped that part, and when 10 was finished installing, it was activated. :shrug:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So how do I fix this on my Win10 Pro laptop, not phone, not RT, local account only:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

So how do I fix this on my Win10 Pro laptop, not phone, not RT, local account only:

I've never seen that one before. Are you signing in with a pin, or a password? Have you tried the other? What about the self-service reset on Microsoft's site?

Did you leave a local admin account on the laptop other than the primary account? I'm assuming this is something to do with getting locked out of a Microsoft Account specifically.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

She just said it's a local account, and given her experience it's safe to assume she'd have said if there was a Microsoft account ever involved. I'd be equal and massive parts impressed and terrified if you could fix that through the Microsoft Account devices page.

Lum posted:

This is a surprisingly hard issue to google.

The only thing I could find that isn't for phones or a link to a bullshit forums harvester site is an unsupported claim on HP Support that it's a TPM panic. Edit: It IS consistent with the recent spate of Windows 10 phone preview security panics, so I'm guessing it's a Windows 10 common trunk security gently caress-up.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2016

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
I plugged in my usb flash drive and when I went to eject it to remove it I noticed I had the option to eject my main HDD and my SSD that's running Windows... What happens when I inevitably accidentally eject one of those?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CountingCrows posted:

I plugged in my usb flash drive and when I went to eject it to remove it I noticed I had the option to eject my main HDD and my SSD that's running Windows... What happens when I inevitably accidentally eject one of those?

System drives will fail the eject because they're being accessed kind of a lot (as you'd expect for the OS data store), but if there's nothing on the platters that the system actually expects to have access to right now it might just quietly unmount and not even have issues. The more frustrating part is it wouldn't work until detached and reattached, which would be kind of a pain since it's inside the case.

Solution: Turn off hotplug for those ports in motherboard firmware. Or for all internal SATA ports, if they can't be set individually.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Intel Rapid Storage Technology should remove them from that list, too.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Password login works, but pin causes this error and fingerprint fails silently. Presumably because of its dependency on the pin login.

Wouldn't normally be bothered, but I kinda like using the fingerprint reader for UAC prompts as it's located between the buttons on the touchpad, so nice for when mousing around.

Do I need to wipe the TPM then? TPMs are one area I don't have experience with. Windows 10 is starting to make me feel old. Is this what it's like for users all the time?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
How long is your PIN? Because I've heard of it happening if you only use 4 digits and not at least 6.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

it's 5 digits. So just change it then?

e: Couldn't change it, said something about dictionary attack mitigation and yeah I forgot to screenshot.

Removed and re-added PIN and that's sorted it, now I just have to enroll all my prints again.

Lum fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 1, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Password login works, but pin causes this error and fingerprint fails silently. Presumably because of its dependency on the pin login.

Wouldn't normally be bothered, but I kinda like using the fingerprint reader for UAC prompts as it's located between the buttons on the touchpad, so nice for when mousing around.

Do I need to wipe the TPM then? TPMs are one area I don't have experience with. Windows 10 is starting to make me feel old. Is this what it's like for users all the time?

I don't know if it's actually a TPM issue (one anecdote is probably not a good argument for that, and I actually feel kind of bad for not clearing that up from go), and it's probably deeper than that in a 'does Microsoft even know what they're doing with alternative login' sense, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen if there's no hardware security store. Then again I only use a local account with a traditional password and no TPM even present.

I don't know what would happen if you cycled or disabled the TPM, but I would make a point of refreshing my backups before trying.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 2, 2016

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Same thing happened to me with my SP3. After logging in with a password it works fine.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Changing the pin fixed it, but up until that point, it had been throwing up that error on pin logins for nearly a week.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
After installing clean, my USB ports won't detect any peripherals connected to them w/o replugging said peripherals when the computer wakes from sleep. The computer turns on (wakes from sleep) if I press a key on the keyboard, but once the lock-screen is shown the keyboard and mouse seems to be without power. Re-plugging the device(s) makes them work again. I disabled selective USB suspend in the power plan of Windows, but to no avail. Before installing clean I had an upgraded installation (7->10) which didn't have this problem. I'm at a loss, anyone?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Marinmo posted:

After installing clean, my USB ports won't detect any peripherals connected to them w/o replugging said peripherals when the computer wakes from sleep. The computer turns on (wakes from sleep) if I press a key on the keyboard, but once the lock-screen is shown the keyboard and mouse seems to be without power. Re-plugging the device(s) makes them work again. I disabled selective USB suspend in the power plan of Windows, but to no avail. Before installing clean I had an upgraded installation (7->10) which didn't have this problem. I'm at a loss, anyone?

Install the (probably Intel) chipset drivers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does anyone else have really poor performance on the Xbox app? Even typing messages chugs for me on build 11082.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Marinmo posted:

I've had this issue before and turning off the fast startup option fixed all of it. It's buried under the power settings.