Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

I find it hilarious that you think that little thing has a radio, signal flags, and horn. Get real. :)

If they are in the US they are legally obligated to have some of those things, even on that little power boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You seem to be approaching the concept of pleasure boating with some sort of rationalism. I'm not sure why you'd think common sense applies in this paradigm.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Kenshin posted:

If they are in the US they are legally obligated to have some of those things, even on that little power boat.

Yeah ok. On my side of the pond there aren't many rules of this sort for such small craft, and if there were, they'd never be enforced.

This year we got the vest law, which dictates that everyone in a boat under 8m length must wear a floatation device when under way. Even that has been a huge ruckus.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And to think, people call me strange for packing my main storage area 75% full of safety poo poo and making sure my vhf radio works. And having 2-3 spare lines in another storage bin. And having a tow line on the boat while I was working out vapor lock issues along with fluids, spare parts and tools.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The Locator posted:

I am surprised that those helicopters are powerful enough to take off with the rescue swimmer's gigantic balls.

Agreed. That guy is god drat insane. The bad part is that if they're trying so hard to land him on the vessel, it means that there were still crew aboard. Hope they made it out alright. I have no idea how you get them off of there except to wait until the seas calm and then extract them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scrapez posted:

Agreed. That guy is god drat insane. The bad part is that if they're trying so hard to land him on the vessel, it means that there were still crew aboard. Hope they made it out alright. I have no idea how you get them off of there except to wait until the seas calm and then extract them.

There was something under that video, either a link to an article or something, but it said that all 12 crew members were safely evacuated by helicopter, one at a time, with only one crew member suffering a minor cut. So yea.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Kenshin posted:

That's my fault: for some reason, I just assumed that boats all fell under some international agreement and that the rules here were representative of everywhere.

Australia mandates all of the gear I mentioned (a V- sheet may be substituted for signal flags as a general warning), plus a few other goodies. Boating licenses are also A Thing here, and part of the license test is demonstrating working knowledge of your radio.

It wasn't my suggestion that you can run under the nose of a tanker, put out your V- sheet all will be well. I'm saying that if you put out your red diamond when your engine quits in a shipping channel 5 minutes before the video starts you're not hurting your odds.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

This is amazing.

https://youtu.be/WGAzt-8minI

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I skippered another charter trip with friends last week, this time out of La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

197(6?) 41' Morgan "Out Island" ketch, through SeaScape charters, named after this, their largest sailboat, s/v SeaScape.

My first time sailing a ketch. The mizzen makes the boat much easier to balance, to the point where I had it pretty balanced in rough upwind sailing and the lack of autopilot wasn't a big issue.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I skippered another charter trip with friends last week, this time out of La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

197(6?) 41' Morgan "Out Island" ketch, through SeaScape charters, named after this, their largest sailboat, s/v SeaScape.

My first time sailing a ketch. The mizzen makes the boat much easier to balance, to the point where I had it pretty balanced in rough upwind sailing and the lack of autopilot wasn't a big issue.

That's a very pretty boat.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
41' Morgans are more like a greyhound bus than a boat. I spent a week on one with my old boy scout troop at SeaBase in Isla Morada. I think there were 3 adult scoutmasters, the captain and 9 scouts. It was tight, but I don't remember feeling cramped.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

th vwls hv scpd posted:

41' Morgans are more like a greyhound bus than a boat. I spent a week on one with my old boy scout troop at SeaBase in Isla Morada. I think there were 3 adult scoutmasters, the captain and 9 scouts. It was tight, but I don't remember feeling cramped.
Yeah, it never felt cramped with 6 of us on it.

On the downside, it has steering feel best described as "numb." There's a complete disconnect between what I did with the wheel and how the boat responded--no feedback between the wheel and the rudder. I've never been on a sailboat with such a lack of any sort of steering feel.

On the other hand, it felt pretty similar to 70s-era hydraulic steering in cars, so go figure.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm hopefully going to make an appointment to go see a 1997 Crowther Spindrift 40' catamaran in the next few weeks. I'm not in a position to buy yet (not for another year, really) and I made that clear in the email to the broker, but I figure I should get used to looking at sailboats I'm interested in with a very critical eye.

There were apparently quite a few Crowthers of various types made through the years, and they seem pretty well-regarded, but I can't really find any first-hand experiences of living on and owning one of this model and year on the internet, so we'll see. I have seen the accounts of living on the 80s model but from all the pictures they seem to be very, very different boats (though obviously from the styling by the same designer)

Anybody else have experience in the "buying a sailboat you have to get a mortgage for" arena?

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 18, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Anybody else have experience in the "buying a sailboat you have to get a mortgage for" arena?

I'd really love to, but that whole money thing keeps getting in the way of retiring onto a sailboat and sailing around the world. I settle for making little tiny sailboats in my house instead.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow that's incredible!

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
God, I love bowsprits like that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that is incredible. Do you buy kits or make the models yourself? Either way that is beautifully detailed and painted. I have a kit I got a few years back that I have been very slowly painting and assembling but nothing even close to that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Popete posted:

Wow, that is incredible. Do you buy kits or make the models yourself? Either way that is beautifully detailed and painted. I have a kit I got a few years back that I have been very slowly painting and assembling but nothing even close to that.

It's a kit, but pretty heavily bashed with a lot of parts and wood replacement. Somewhere around 1000-1100 hours estimated over 13 months to build.

If you are interested enough to waste a ton of time, I kept a full build log here - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8085-armed-virginia-sloop-by-gunthermt-model-shipways-scale-148/

You may have to register to see the embedded photo's, but it's free and a spam free site (owned/run by the non-profit Nautical Research Guild).

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Presenting the 84', $2.3M M/Y Positive Energy!

Damnit

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

buttcrackmenace posted:

Presenting the 84', $2.3M M/Y Positive Energy!

Damnit

too much coal in the boiler

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TEAH SYAG posted:

too much coal in the boiler

It's like rolling coal, but... floating? Is floating coal a thing?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
say i wanted to check some poo poo off on ye old bucket list and run the Great Loop some time, probably in about 5-10 years.

Setting all needed boating skill (of which I currently have a very faint layman's grasp) and experience aside for the moment, how much should I expect to dump into such an endeavor, budget wise? If you tell me I need a 100k boat and can expect 50k running costs for the year it'll take, I won't bat an eye, that's fine, I just want a ballpark idea as we're tossing a few different ideas around.

Lifestyle-wise, my wife and I have been RV fulltimers for almost two years now and kids arent in the picture, so we're probably more amenable than most to the idea of spending a year on a boat. We've tossed the idea of houseboating around before, i've just always thought of it as a more stationary thing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I filmed my January sailing trip, though I hadn't really sorted through the footage and learned how to use Adobe Premiere correctly until this past weekend.

But hey, now this exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYAGcUpzTBE

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

A bit of an unorthodox post for this thread but with the prevalence of sailors in here, I thought it would be a good place to ask...

My father passed away in December and loved sailing. He was born in Japan and came into the U.S. when he was 4 years old via San Francisco. His wishes were to have his ashes scattered in San Francisco Bay. We plan to go out to San Francisco this summer to fulfill his wish and I've done some google searches and find several chartered sailboats that fit the bill.

I just wondered if anyone here has a suggestion for a charter out of San Francisco since it's very hard to tell the good from the bad via a google search. There would be 5 adult passengers and 3 kids. Any suggestions are appreciated.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Remember guys, no matter how much you run the tilt/trim, it won't tilt or trim your motor if the manual release screw is out.

Just about ran my battery dead today before I figured that out.

Fortunately it was in my garage where I had just put the tilt/trim unit back on the motor, but still. Was starting to get pissed thinking I had ruined the drat thing.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
The Suez Canal is currently closed, the container ship MSC Fabiola has had a total power failure, and has rammed the side of the canal with around 10 knots.

According to a friend on a ship down there, the Egyptians tried to get it free using a tug, that ended with a fire onboard the tug.

The Egyptian military has secured the canal zone.

http://shippingwatch.com/secure/carriers/Container/article8619964.ece

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Ok, now I actually want a mega yacht.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jhcain posted:

gently caress, I'd settle for the AS365 parked ON the yacht.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

jhcain posted:

Who doesn't want a mega yacht? I just don't want to *pay* for a mega yacht, although if I had enough money to actually consider owning one, I probably wouldn't care.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't forget the 30+ crewmen you have to employ to run it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ballpark operating cost is 10% of the purchase price per year.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Collateral Damage posted:

I like the two pools stacked on top of one another, on the yacht.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Automate all the things.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My fav pic of Eclipse doing its thing.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

I needed my own sense of scale for this thing, and it's ~30 feet longer than an Arleigh Burke destroyer.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I know nothing about boats/yachts but I saw this one in san diego in '13 and was pretty floored. What's something like this cost? $30M?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You're slightly off. If I'm identifying it correctly that's the Luna. Estimated build cost: $545m. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

You're slightly off. If I'm identifying it correctly that's the Luna. Estimated build cost: $545m. :homebrew:

dreesemonkey posted:

I know nothing about boats/yachts but I saw this one in san diego in '13 and was pretty floored.

Hahaha holy gently caress