Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sage Grimm posted:

Rangers get the bog standard missile launchers and grenades. Like their weapon set, they make average explosions.
Fencers get larger missile launchers and access to even BIGGER missiles if they have an air raider friend to spot them a target. They make big explosions.
Wing Divers get plasma explosions that are wildly variable in their power and usefulness. Geist is the most hilarious slow moving bomb ever. They make pretty explosions.
Air Raiders get their buddies from the navy and airforce to lend them the BIGGEST missiles out there. And they can call in for vehicles built specifically around shooting large missiles at targets. They make catastrophes. :getin:

I think Air Raider is gonna be my mainstay but fencer is pretty fun too. I like the sheer power of the fencer but I need explosions that can level the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Cowman posted:

I think Air Raider is gonna be my mainstay but fencer is pretty fun too. I like the sheer power of the fencer but I need explosions that can level the city.

fencer can get a hammer that sends out 120m long shockwaves that level a building in one shot

it's called Finest Hammer

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Cowman posted:

Every class gets weapons that can level a city.

Air Raider gets giant robots with which you can punch the city to death.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, particle cannons are godawful when you're flying; it'll only hit if you're flying/falling directly toward the target. Otherwise you're just spraying and praying it's doing something. Best in crowds but at anything except at extreme close range it's awful for single targets.
As with literally every type of weapon, low level ones suck and are bad. Mid-to-high level particle guns on the other hand are actually pretty good. In general they lean towards crowd-control functions. They do good damage, fire fast, and can stunlock scores of enemies/blast corpses away with high efficiency. You can sweep the gently caress out of large hordes of ground or air targets with the better ones, and I'm not embarrassed to say that a Dynastrike Alpha did more work than my Thunder Bow 30 and carried me through a particular early-game Inferno mission that drowns you in gunships. Stay on, or low to the ground and fire controlled bursts. If you can't anticipate where your shots are going, don't fire; you only waste energy. It's less straightforward than other guns, but worth it when the game shits a gorillion enemies on you. Definitely carry a weapon with a magazine for when you drain your energy, because it will happen.

Cowman posted:

Someone call for an M30 Plasma Launcher? :getin:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The M30 is so hilarious. I tried to find a video of it but could only do so in the form of a 30 minute japanese vid of the original game so I didn't post it. But yeah, Wing Diver + M30 = instant levelling of entire cities.

I'm going to be on for a bit incase anyone wants to play super late.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Ranger gets napalm, and that's good enough for me. Really I like all the grenade launchers. The thwunk sound is very satisfying.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

High end firecrackers tend to level cities pretty fast.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What's everyone's favorite quick-bind? I just did "let's take down the big boys" and I can't stop loling.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
"let's take down the big boys" is probably number five top favorite. I also like "thank you! I love you!!" and then "raaaarr" as well as 1-3 of the edf song just so I'm ready for it if someone starts it. Number 1 is "EDF!! EDF!!".

I did a little farming last night but didn't get over 1500 for my fencer. It's a real shame they never thought of a way to speed up armor collection it's probably one of the most tedious parts of the game.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

a cop posted:

What's everyone's favorite quick-bind? I just did "let's take down the big boys" and I can't stop loling.

half of my quickwheel is EDF song 1.

the other half is EDF song 2.

but iv'e been playing wing diver so i might change it. :mad:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

If you don't have "Don't die" somewhere on your quick select you need to fix that.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
I keep being reminded just how bad I actually am at online squad tactics on inferno. But then again, tactics can only get you so far when you constantly run the risk of getting instantly one shotted by pretty much anything on the field.

Also waiting for the first DLC mission pack, the one that has both the best farming maps from 2025.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I wish "EAT THIS BULLET!" was available for quick bind.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
I love playing EDF and I would like to play with goons but unfortunately it seems as though the goon group isn't in the TRENDING TOP 100 communities so it is actually impossible for me to join. Can I get an invite please? Also if anyone just wants to play EDF toss me a friend request

ID: IznoD

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a summary of what kind of moves Fencer does? So far I've figured out how to keep mobile by using a melee weapon in between dashes, and that I can do a jump and dash forward, but that's it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Izno posted:

I love playing EDF and I would like to play with goons but unfortunately it seems as though the goon group isn't in the TRENDING TOP 100 communities so it is actually impossible for me to join. Can I get an invite please? Also if anyone just wants to play EDF toss me a friend request

ID: IznoD

Sent you a friend request and will invite you to the group when I'm on next.

Mission 96 is such a goddamn wall.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Sent you a friend request and will invite you to the group when I'm on next.

Mission 96 is such a goddamn wall.

The easiest way to do 96 is to take it slow. First take out the drones, then the robots, then the hills, then each of the hives in turn. The hives won't usually spawn anything usually unless you attack them.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
Are the coop missions numbered differently or something? I beat the singleplayer game a few days ago and the last mission was 89.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DoktorVerderben posted:

Are the coop missions numbered differently or something? I beat the singleplayer game a few days ago and the last mission was 89.

There are more missions online than there are offline.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The easiest way to do 96 is to take it slow. First take out the drones, then the robots, then the hills, then each of the hives in turn. The hives won't usually spawn anything usually unless you attack them.
Or bring a giant wall of hitpoints and a fencer who can stay out of trouble.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
4.1 is a very good version of a cool game, though I've started to hit the missions where you get the whole you can't see or move as giant wall of health enemies drain your hp real quick.

The chat wheel and menu is worth the price of admission alone though.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Casnorf posted:

Or bring a giant wall of hitpoints and a fencer who can stay out of trouble.

The solution is always giant punchbot and Whale.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I have time to start 4.1, any tips for a EDF newbie ?

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

Marogareh posted:

I wish "EAT THIS BULLET!" was available for quick bind.

You can make your own custom binds, just open the menu in a lobby and set one of them to whatever the text input option is.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

The easiest classes to play are the ranger and the wing diver but it doesn't hurt to try everything out. You can expect to feel underpowered and crappy for the first little while, that happens with every class but they all come into their own pretty quickly.

The most important thing is to make sure to pick up all of the red and green boxes (armor and weapon powerups) the armor powerups provide permanent health boosts for your character moving forward and the green boxes unlock random new weapons for your class proportional to which mission you are playing. All drops are shared among your team.

For the best experience, you're going to want to play online or with a friend, feel free to just hop into any normal map with any class, you probably want to start with missions under level 30 and move up from there. The community online is very forgiving overall. Also remember to sing the EDF theme song with pride.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

IMO it is perfectly acceptable to kick people out of games for consistently not yelling EDF!! when other people do. They didn't remember the pride of EDF :mad:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

While the EDF song is indeed glorious, it may not be as funny as the non-sequiturs that occur when the soldiers around you make small talk.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

LuiCypher posted:

While the EDF song is indeed glorious, it may not be as funny as the non-sequiturs that occur when the soldiers around you make small talk.

Why did you get married?

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
If I don't have a PS4, is 2025 still a good game to pick up for my PS3? I just got a friend into 2017 with an old copy I had laying around and I'm really kind of aching for some more EDF soldier banter.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Yeah, just be aware it has long loading times and your system will struggle to keep a stable framerate, which it will promptly give up once you blow up a building.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Yeah, just be aware it has long loading times and your system will struggle to keep a stable framerate, which it will promptly give up once you blow up a building.

I can't imagine it's much different than 2017 in those respects then.

Does 2025 have the shoutouts like I see in the videos on the past few pages? Will I be missing anything major, or are the new missions in 4.1 just the DLC from 2025?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RadicalR posted:

I thought 2025 on the PS3 was a lot more stable with framerates than 2017 on the 360.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Does 2025 have the shoutouts like I see in the videos on the past few pages?

You mean like the dialog wheel? It does not.

quote:

Will I be missing anything major, or are the new missions in 4.1 just the DLC from 2025?

The main advantage of 4.1 over 2025 for me is it's just got more of everything. The extra missions are totally new to 4.1 and involve a new enemy type.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I can't imagine it's much different than 2017 in those respects then.

Does 2025 have the shoutouts like I see in the videos on the past few pages? Will I be missing anything major, or are the new missions in 4.1 just the DLC from 2025?

They really streamlined the shouting and singing in this version by making them easily used through hotkeys. I don't think you can sing on command in 2025 at all in fact. You can and still should shout EDF! EDF! though. The game is still solid, the biggest things you'll be missing is the drastic frame rate and loading time improvements that came with the new console generation. Also since EDF isn't the most popular game in english speaking countries I suspect you will find that the online community will be dead or consist only of people farming end game content.

In terms of missions, they were redesigned a lot from 2025 to 4.1 and some new missions were added but the core gameplay and fun is still there.

If you're going to be playing with a friend you'll still have a blast so I would say go for it

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Crono S. Magnum posted:

There's some extra stuff like giant robots and stuff along with like 20 more levels and usability enhancements. It's still essentially the same. I'll send you my copy for PS3 next week if you want to wait.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

If playing online, notice how much health each of your teammates have before beginning the mission; if it's significantly more than you do, it's better to just die and wait for a revive than hogging health pickups.
Health pickups give a set relative amount of your max health back, and reviving a downed player takes away half of the rescuer current health while giving the equivalent absolute amount of HP to the rescued. So it's better to let players with higher HP do the bulk of the rescuing and then heal themselves by picking up the health drops afterwards.

Also, if your health bar isn't a solid light blue colour, it means you can't revive anyone until it gets above a certain threshold (25% of max, I reckon).

Avoid shooting the last enemy in a wave/mission unless you're certain it is OK to do so, other players might still be picking up loot or getting ready for the next wave.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Why did you get married?

There's no reason.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

One day I'll fly for reasons other than war...

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Since a lot of people have asked about fencer tricks, I'll give a rundown of what I've figured out.

Movement is all about dash-cancelling everything, early on use one of the small shields. Dash, use the shield-bash to cancel the dash animation, then dash again. Once you get a hang of the timing you'll fly around levels. When you unlock the Javelin Catapult, that will be your go-to cancelling weapon. Just hold down the fire buton and dash like a lunatic.

Also be aware when you double up on the same weapon, it will make your aiming really sluggish, like the reticle has weight to it. A little bit of practice and you can compensate for it, but it can be difficult at first. Most of the fencers weapons are good at one thing or another, so you can really tailor your loadout to the mission. I feel like their shotguns don't have quite enough range to them, and the melee spear seems lackluster compared to the other melee options. The swords and hammers specifically can have a lot more range on their charged attacks than you would expect.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Except the urban renewal hammer... Uh, I mean the Vulcan Hammer. Its full charge can level buildings and bosses alike but only has a 6 meter range that can miss at point blank from wonky hit boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Bybus Slago posted:

Since a lot of people have asked about fencer tricks, I'll give a rundown of what I've figured out.

Movement is all about dash-cancelling everything, early on use one of the small shields. Dash, use the shield-bash to cancel the dash animation, then dash again. Once you get a hang of the timing you'll fly around levels. When you unlock the Javelin Catapult, that will be your go-to cancelling weapon. Just hold down the fire buton and dash like a lunatic.
Dash-cancelling, yes. It is an absolute must to survive as a Fencer. The Javelin Catapult is real good for it, but I feel like I'm naked without a shield. A Reflector shield works just about as well, and doubles as a defensive weapon. Spiders annoying you with their webs? Make 'em kill themselves while staying incredibly fast. In my experience, it serves as my most valuable tool, moreso than any weapon in the Fencer's arsenal. As with all things, your playstyle dictates how you do it, but dash-cancelling is something you must learn.

quote:

Also be aware when you double up on the same weapon, it will make your aiming really sluggish, like the reticle has weight to it. A little bit of practice and you can compensate for it, but it can be difficult at first. Most of the fencers weapons are good at one thing or another, so you can really tailor your loadout to the mission. I feel like their shotguns don't have quite enough range to them, and the melee spear seems lackluster compared to the other melee options. The swords and hammers specifically can have a lot more range on their charged attacks than you would expect.
It isn't necessarily 'doubling-up' on the same weapon that produces that effect. It's more about the types of weapons you're using. The effect is more noticeable with heavier artillery, though, and some weapons just weren't designed to be used together. (Sucks for you if you think a Flame Revolver is going to play nice with a Gallic 30mm Cannon.) Their Dexter shotguns are woefully short, and seem a little underpowered compared to anything else they can use. Use Cannon Shot instead! :v:

Blasthole Spears are really good. They're fast, do solid damage, combo into themselves (doing extra damage at better range on the 2nd strike), and have better range than any other melee weapon other than blades. On top of that, they penetrate enemies, making them even better for a fighting retreat. I can't say the same for the Blasthole Spear M2, however. For some reason that one is far slower than any other one in the line. Vulcan Hammers are amazing, but I can't really recommend the others. They just don't do enough damage for the long charge-up times. Same for Blades, but those at least get a penetrating projectile, and the best range of all melee weapons.

Fencer is hard. And you're going to want all the armor you can stand, especially when you're learning. I've played all 4 classes about equally, and they're all pushing the armor limits in Hard mode...except Fencer, who sits over 2000+ HP away from cap.