Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Now with fewer rules! (for now, let's see how long that lasts)

Thread Rules.

1 - No Korra
2 - No Dr. Who
3 - Here's the IRC link if you want it for some reason - http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Shannara series has at least one hook to differentiate it from regular fantasy in that it takes place in a post apocalyptic future. Although maybe they could have put it on some other time than Tuesday at 10/9. Not sure why they want to put it up against another nerd show like The Expanse.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Daredevil vs. Punisher in the new year :woop:

Also more Better Call Saul! gently caress yeah.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pff who even wants to talk about those shows anyway

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Battlestar Galactica and Lost were good from beginning to end

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

Battlestar Galactica and Lost were good from beginning to end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I just remembered that the character on Glee that that guy played sang "I've been waiting for a girl like you" to a little girl baby.

Welp.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

xeria posted:

I just remembered that the character on Glee that that guy played sang "I've been waiting for a girl like you" to a little girl baby.

Welp.

Aatrek

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sup players

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm really excited about Westworld. I'm a little afraid of the Full House reboot.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If the Full House reboot really needs to happens (it doesn't), it should be a tv movie instead of an entire season. Give people a little bit of the characters they think they missed but not so much they realize the show was actually not very good in the first place

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The show was 80s/90s cheesy as gently caress so I don't get it either.

Rather see another Quantum Leap season.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GreenNight posted:

Every show is a Quantum Leap reboot so long as you pretend that while the opening credits play Sam Beckett leaps into the protagonist.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fateo McMurray posted:

If the Full House reboot really needs to happens (it doesn't), it should be a tv movie instead of an entire season. Give people a little bit of the characters they think they missed but not so much they realize the show was actually not very good in the first place

Say what you will about the original show, they had an episode with the Beach Boys and that makes them cool.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GreenNight posted:

The show was 80s/90s cheesy as gently caress so I don't get it either.

Daytime TV is filled with reruns of cheesy as gently caress 80s/90s shows. You're not supposed to get it because you're not the kind of person Netflix is banking on watching it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

JohnSherman posted:

Daytime TV is filled with reruns of cheesy as gently caress 80s/90s shows. You're not supposed to get it because you're not the kind of person Netflix is banking on watching it.

Who is it geared towards other than people who grew up on the original show?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stephanie should drive a car through the kitchen again but this time because she's on a meth binge.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't believe that the property hasn't been rebooted/brought back.

...I may or may not have the start of a Quantum Leap movie script on my desktop.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh by the way i watched the pilot to the 100

that might be the worst loving garbage ive seen this year

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lelandjs posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't believe that the property hasn't been rebooted/brought back.

...I may or may not have the start of a Quantum Leap movie script on my desktop.

Thread is now about the fun people/things Beckett could leap into.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Bill Cosby.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Toxxupation posted:

Which is why every single person who recommends it says the show starts bad.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Well, here's a few ideas (mostly terrible, and none of which are part of my current script outline):

*A cast member of a "Real Housewives" style show (prevents the death of the cast member's rival)
*A reporter embedded in Iraq (prevents a suicide bomber)
*A NYC firefighter on 9/12/01 (rescues someone from the rubble)
*Jeb! Bush circa... nowish (because that would explain how terrible of a candidate he is)
*A shady mortgage broker circa 2007 (has to convince the person he kept into that what he's doing is wrong)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

To get through the first season you have to embrace hatewatching it and enjoying seeing idiot teens get murdered.

If you don't wanna do it that's fine, Season 2 is good but it's not that great.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Surprised the alt title to last year's thread lasted to the end.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Well, here's a few ideas (mostly terrible, and none of which are part of my current script outline):

*A cast member of a "Real Housewives" style show (prevents the death of the cast member's rival)
*A reporter embedded in Iraq (prevents a suicide bomber)
*A NYC firefighter on 9/12/01 (rescues someone from the rubble)
*Jeb! Bush circa... nowish (because that would explain how terrible of a candidate he is)
*A shady mortgage broker circa 2007 (has to convince the person he kept into that what he's doing is wrong)

You're not the only one who thought about this. I have too, except it's through the filter of something Alan Sepinwall (of course) proposed: Jennifer Garner as Sam Beckett.

*A mousy office drone on the eve of Y2K who saves her crush from getting murdered in Times Square.
*An emo musician trying to kick a heroin habit before a major concert.
*A gay man at the outset of the AIDS crisis who must convince his married (with kids) boyfriend to come out of the closet.
*An assassin whose target Ziggy is only 50.7% certain must be protected.

I also considered The Evil Leaper, who in this version is Sam's husband. He originally died in a car accident until Sam (naturally) altered the timeline to keep him out of harm's way. In the new timeline, Sam's obsession with her work drove him away, and allowed his mind to be poisoned by a private corporation who has cloned Sam's machine and wants to run interference on any of her shenanigans that might gently caress with their bottom line. This sets up a big emotional fight scene between the two of them in the first season finale. He escapes, and the final scene of the season is Sam leaping into the body of a firefighter, who pulls a little girl named Abigail Fuller out of a burning building while another firefighter stalks them with curious eyes.

So. In case you felt embarrassed sharing all that, now you don't have to be. :)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone bothering to give the 100 a shot needs to watch at least through the third episode. Everything that happens in the first 2 episodes is dumb CW pilot poo poo. It still takes awhile to get actually good, but if you don't watch episodes 3 and 4 you basically haven't started the show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

I honestly think it might be considered impractical to do now because it's close to being an anthology. You need new sets and lots of new guest actors every week, you can't do a bottle show, etc.

Same reason they really don't do anthologies much anymore.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly think it might be considered impractical to do now because it's close to being an anthology. You need new sets and lots of new guest actors every week, you can't do a bottle show, etc.

Same reason they really don't do anthologies much anymore.

I dunno, most procedurals (and even some dramas, like Lost) manage to do okay with new locations and guest stars in every episode. I guess having to make things look period-y enough might be a bit of a challenge to the budget but as long as you stick to the past 30 years or so it wouldn't be too hard.

Shooting the show in a place like Vancouver (or, as Lost proved, Hawaii) helps because with some minimal costuming, set decoration, careful extras casting, and dialog prompts, you can make it look like pretty much anywhere else.

Finally, cutting an episode order down, making a couple two-parter episodes per season, and being okay with slightly dodgy special effects can work wonders to realizing many different, varied, and unique locales--there's a show that's done a good job of it for the past nine seasons but as the OP reminds me we aren't supposed to talk about it here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Working my way through season 1 of Dark Matter. This show is pretty fun

"Some of us were thinking of heading into the station to catch a movie, wanna come"

"No thanks"

"But... It's Star Wars 36! Remastered in full VR... They say it's a classic"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Finished the first season of Prison Break tonight. It was pulpy, ridiculous fun, but I've never heard anyone discuss it among the pantheon of must-see "peak TV" favorites.

We're invested enough to stick it out, and apparently, like almost everything else, it's getting a new season this summer!

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Finished the first season of Prison Break tonight. It was pulpy, ridiculous fun, but I've never heard anyone discuss it among the pantheon of must-see "peak TV" favorites.

We're invested enough to stick it out, and apparently, like almost everything else, it's getting a new season this summer!

I actually just started season one yesterday, cool coincidence! Mine is a rewatch, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I failed to get through all of Breaking Bad in 2015. I got maybe halfway through, it was the show I watched when I worked out at home and I fell off watching when it got warmer and I went to the gym again.
I didn't even start The Wire. :smith:

Promise I'll do better in 2016.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

Say what you will about the original show, they had an episode with the Beach Boys and that makes them cool.

The Beach Boys have never been cool, not even back when people could have plausibly thought they were cool.

JohnSherman posted:

I don't know how long it's been since you watched daytime TV, but unless you're talking about garbage-rear end deep cable, you're either getting trashy talk shows like Jerry or Maury, ensemble talk shows like The View, The Chew, or The Talk, or soap operas on network TV, and marathon reruns of crime procedurals on cable channels.

Toxxupation posted:

The 100 is bad for a good 50%-60% of the season, then it actually gets good once it drops the lovely stock CW trappings.
I say this as someone who also dropped it and only gave it another chance because of continued raving about it here in Couch Chat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The 100 literally went from a show I couldn't drink enough to enjoy, to my favorite show of the year.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Remember Jericho? The 100 is like that. Once the showrunners got the network bullshit out of the way and could do what they wanted it got amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Remember Jericho? The 100 is like that. Once the showrunners got the network bullshit out of the way and could do what they wanted it got amazing.

Actually Jericho never got remotely good or interesting, and I quit watching it with like 4 episodes left because holy poo poo, what a wast of time. It had a pretty cook premise though.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So in hosed up news, MTV True Life is still a thing. Oh, and they had an episode titled "I Had My Cousin's Baby," with the summary in the voice-over being, "What happens if your one true love is also a member of your family?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That is entirely possible in Iceland. They have an app to make sure the person they are dating isn't too related.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/23/iceland-s-incest-prevention-app-gets-people-to-bump-their-phones-before-bumping-in-bed.html

• Locked thread