Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Where were you the night of April 2nd, 2011? If you were like me, you were on Pitchfork, watching LCD Soundsystem play their last show. The concert, later released on vinyl and Blu Ray, was regarded as the Last Waltz of the 21st century. Three hours long, plenty of special guests, songs never performed live before, an outstanding farewell. It was the end of one of the greatest bands of their times.

James Murphy, the leader of LCD Soundsystem, basically said he wanted to quit while he was ahead. All three studio albums (LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver, and This Is Happening) are highly regarded, and he didn't see a reason to continue. While the world lost a great band, critics and fans understood the reasoning to call it a day. Of course, almost immediately, Murphy had to deny any reports of reunions, using snarky language to say the band was dead. Clearly, there was no reason to get back together.

Then came Christmas Eve 2015.

James Murphy posted:

so, there’s been this depressing christmas song i’d been singing to myself for the past 8 years, and every year i wouldn’t remember that i wanted to make it until december, which is just too late to actually record and release a christmas song... but this year, al doyle had a short break between hot chip tours where he could be in nyc, and pat and nancy were home, and tyler agreed to fly out from berlin for a few days, so we all recorded this together, reserved a pressing plant slot, and our friend bob weston was available to master it quickly—so that means, less than 2 weeks after we recorded it, there is actually a christmas 7", which feels like something that could only have happened a very, very long time ago.
anyway, for the holidays we give you the previous, very long run-on sentence, and this song: “christmas will break your heart”, which is another one of those songs which had about 75 lines of lyrics, though we’ve knocked down to 8 to keep the suicide rate in check.
have fun!

The first new song from the band since 2010 was shocking. What did it mean? Well, if the New York Times is to be believed, Coachella will feature more than the original Guns 'n Roses. Somehow, someway, LCD Soundsystem will reportedly come out of retirement to play two shows in southern California. If they do reunite, there's no telling how many other shows they'd do. What I DO know is that if they play and you never got to see them when they were active, you're pretty much going to have to see them while you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xG4oFny2Pk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
As somebody who only heard of them post breakup, I really hope they do a full tour. Not holding my breath though.

The new song is great too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i always figured the closest i'd get to seeing lcd soundsystem live was running into james murphy at the merch table at a juan maclean show so i am cautiously excited about this

there's no way they're going to play an nyc venue that isn't garbage, though. guarantee you it's going to be one or two big festivals and maybe an immediately-sold-out terminal 5 show :argh:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
On April 2nd, 2011, I was in Madison Square Garden, watching that awesome final show from the nosebleeds. No matter how many more shows they play, I don't regret all the money I spent on that show and trip one bit. :hellyeah:

I have a hard time believing James Murphy would get the band together just to do a couple soulless festival gigs. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I have to believe if they're doing a couple festival shows, they'll at least do a proper tour. I doubt they're going back to nonstop touring and releasing albums every few years, though. They clearly all like having their freedom to do whatever the gently caress they want the vast majority of the time. Maybe they'll just be occasionally-active from now on.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 31, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anaranjado posted:

As somebody who only heard of them post breakup, I really hope they do a full tour. Not holding my breath though.

The new song is great too.

I'm in this same boat, though I discovered them just in time to watch the concert (like falling in love with a girl who is moving to the other side of the country), so this is exciting. Hopefully one of their soulless festival shows is Pitchfork, or they go on a full tour, because I'll spend an absurd amount of money to go to an LCD show.

edit: Also that new song is dope. like a holiday version of New York I Love You, But You're Letting Me Down.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm in this same boat, though I discovered them just in time to watch the concert (like falling in love with a girl who is moving to the other side of the country), so this is exciting. Hopefully one of their soulless festival shows is Pitchfork, or they go on a full tour, because I'll spend an absurd amount of money to go to an LCD show.

edit: Also that new song is dope. like a holiday version of New York I Love You, But You're Letting Me Down.

If they only do festivals, the Chicago show would be lolla.

Also, I agree with your assessment of the song completely.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 1, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm torn between appreciating james murphy's god tier troll and feeling bad for those who hold the "last LCD show" in high regard. I'll see em twice at coachella, but I'll feel deeply conflicted.

I'm happy more people can experience LCD though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

incoherent posted:

I'm torn between appreciating james murphy's god tier troll and feeling bad for those who hold the "last LCD show" in high regard. I'll see em twice at coachella, but I'll feel deeply conflicted.

I'm happy more people can experience LCD though.

Eh, it was still a great show to be at. For one thing, they'll never play a set that long again.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I was 19, broke and hadn't gone to NYC in a decade in 2011, so there was no way I'd get to the Long Goodbye despite LCD being one of my favorite bands.

This time around I know I'm going to spend a ridiculous sum of money and it is going to be kickin' rad to the tenth degree.

The whole buildup around the show and the movie (AZIZ ANSARI WAS IN THE PIT! THIS FAMOUS PERSON LIKES THE BAND YOU LIKE! ISN'T THAT SO COOL? JAMES MURPHY IS ACTING LIKE HE'S SHOOTING HIS DOG IN THE FACE WHEN HE'S ACTUALLY JUST TAKING A BREAK FROM HIS BAND AND YOU SHOULD FEEL LIKE A PART OF YOU IS DYING!) was always really pretentious for me, though, so I'm happy all the hipsters who WERE THERE are all in a huff about it. LCD's music is mostly about happiness, joy and pursuit of sick jams, and the only dick-measuring is done with tongue firmly in cheek, so gently caress the whole "meaningless reunion" thing. The Pixies owned back when they reunited for the Doolittle tour, and LCD is going to own next year.

Plus I don't have to go to Gov Ball again!

and they didn't get back together randomly in December and get studio time just to do a Christmas song (a very good Christmas song, even if it steals a bit from Bowie's "Five Years"), I'm expecting an EP at worst and a new LP at best

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CRINDY posted:

I was 19, broke and hadn't gone to NYC in a decade in 2011, so there was no way I'd get to the Long Goodbye despite LCD being one of my favorite bands.

This time around I know I'm going to spend a ridiculous sum of money and it is going to be kickin' rad to the tenth degree.

The whole buildup around the show and the movie (AZIZ ANSARI WAS IN THE PIT! THIS FAMOUS PERSON LIKES THE BAND YOU LIKE! ISN'T THAT SO COOL? JAMES MURPHY IS ACTING LIKE HE'S SHOOTING HIS DOG IN THE FACE WHEN HE'S ACTUALLY JUST TAKING A BREAK FROM HIS BAND AND YOU SHOULD FEEL LIKE A PART OF YOU IS DYING!) was always really pretentious for me, though, so I'm happy all the hipsters who WERE THERE are all in a huff about it. LCD's music is mostly about happiness, joy and pursuit of sick jams, and the only dick-measuring is done with tongue firmly in cheek, so gently caress the whole "meaningless reunion" thing. The Pixies owned back when they reunited for the Doolittle tour, and LCD is going to own next year.

Plus I don't have to go to Gov Ball again!

and they didn't get back together randomly in December and get studio time just to do a Christmas song (a very good Christmas song, even if it steals a bit from Bowie's "Five Years"), I'm expecting an EP at worst and a new LP at best

Thats funny because I was also 19 in 2011 and used my student aid refund to buy a floor ticket and tickets to NYC. Its still probably the greatest concert experience I've ever had.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thats funny because I was also 19 in 2011 and used my student aid refund to buy a floor ticket and tickets to NYC. Its still probably the greatest concert experience I've ever had.

I was way too harsh there. Those thoughts mostly came up for me after Shut Up was out in theaters. In context of an LCD reunion, the movie suffers in retrospect, depending on how big this thing gets, and right now, it feels like it's going to be pretty drat big.

I hope I didn't come across as a dickhead, the last show was clearly amazing. I straight-up couldn't afford it, but I'm not bitter, or at least I try not to be. I just don't see how people can actually say, and I've seen people say this on other forums, that an LCD reunion is in any way a bad thing.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I was at one of the last shows at Terminal 5 and I'm happy they are going to be at Coachella for me to see again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CRINDY posted:

I was way too harsh there. Those thoughts mostly came up for me after Shut Up was out in theaters. In context of an LCD reunion, the movie suffers in retrospect, depending on how big this thing gets, and right now, it feels like it's going to be pretty drat big.

I hope I didn't come across as a dickhead, the last show was clearly amazing. I straight-up couldn't afford it, but I'm not bitter, or at least I try not to be. I just don't see how people can actually say, and I've seen people say this on other forums, that an LCD reunion is in any way a bad thing.

It's fine. To be honest I kinda feel a little miffed about a reunion since I was at that last show and makes it maybe a little less special, but at the same time I don't think they'll ever do another 3 hour show again with all those songs that they played.

Like when they got back for the encore they played the twin peaks theme lol like what the gently caress??? Pretty awesome

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
James Murphy has a wine bar, some dumb idea for sounds on the subway, and getting the band back together. Like Brooklyn he has flowered into a middle-aged yuppie.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's fine. To be honest I kinda feel a little miffed about a reunion since I was at that last show and makes it maybe a little less special, but at the same time I don't think they'll ever do another 3 hour show again with all those songs that they played.

Like when they got back for the encore they played the twin peaks theme lol like what the gently caress??? Pretty awesome

Plus all the cameo appearances, like Reggie Watts on 45:33. It was a special show, and it will stay so.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Pretty sure he said they may consider reuniting after five years if it felt right inside that very film. I didn't get into them until post-breakup. Glad to have a chance to see them now. Suck it losers

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
2016 tour dates coming soon. This, according to LCD Soundsystem's website.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I already have my ticket for 2 fairly large festivals here in New Orleans this year, one in March and one in October, so I'm hoping they play at least one of those. That would be rad as gently caress :dance:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The only chance I've had to see them was in 2010 at Camp Bisco- my brother and I were new to festivals and showed up late and got stuck in the ridiculous traffic. We could hear them through the woods from our position and my brother told me to go ahead without him but I didn't want to split up. Now he's gone and LCD's back and maybe, just maybe I can sneak into one of the NYC shows

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
tl;dr between the :siren:

James Murphy on Facebook posted:

let’s just start this thing finally with some clarity.

i write songs all the time. sometimes they’re just weird songs i sing while changing a baby, or songs about annoying things that i sing to myself, or to friends while sitting at a bar, or about christmas, or new york. sometimes these songs live in my head for years and have verses upon verses added to them, almost infinitely. sometimes they’re just ghosts of ideas, and sometimes they’re fully-formed things which float in front of me, seeming like they’d be easy to make flesh, only to fight furiously as soon as i try to pin them down in any way. some of them I make with friends in a room with instrument things. only a tiny fraction of these ever become Songs; get recorded, feel like something that should be shared. those ones, i write the title or some lyrics of down on a page in a little book i carry around. or i sing a bit of them into a tape recorder (or now a phone, I guess). i’ve been doing this since i was a kid.

early in 2015, i realized i had more of those than i’d ever had in my life. more of them than when i went in to make any LCD record, or when i recorded tapes upon tapes of terrible things in high school. just loads of them, and i found myself a little perplexed. if i record them, what do i do with them? maybe I shouldn’t record them at all? i considered that, which was in a way the easiest option, but it also seemed like a weird and arbitrary (and sort of cowardly) cop-out. but to record them—well then, suddenly i have, what—a record?

so i asked pat and nancy to come over to my apartment for coffee and told them: “i’m going to record some music. should i make up a band name, or make a “james murphy” record, or should it be LCD?” we all thought a good amount about it. we have had lives for the past 5 years, which has been nice, and those guys have made amazing music with Museum Of Love, the Juan MacLean, and all sorts of other things. i’d managed to do a bunch of fun, dumb stuff which mostly annoyed people who were into the band because, well, subway turnstiles and a coffee aren’t LCD, basically.

at any rate, they both said “let’s make an LCD record”. you see, if they didn’t want to, which i’d half assumed, then there’s no such thing as LCD. imagine this: me making a record, calling it LCD, and then you go to the show and there’s just some guy playing drums over there, or some other person playing keyboards. horrifying. then imagine this: i make a “james murphy” record, or, i don’t know, an “everteen” record, or whatever made-up name i come up with, and there’s pat playing drums, and nancy. maybe al isn’t too busy with hot chip so he comes to play. what the gently caress is that? here were our choices: 1. make music with your friends and call it something else, which seems hilarious (everteen) or egomaniacal to the point of sociopathic (james murphy solo record). 2. make music, but WILLFULLY EXCLUDE your friends because of the horrors in option 1. 3. make an LCD record with your friends, who want to make said record, and deal with whatever fall-out together. 4. don’t make music, to avoid the horrors of all of the above. 5. make music and, like, hide it somewhere.

we decided, clearly, on option 3, and i was fully prepared for a certain amount of “oh gently caress that guy” over-it stuff—in fact welcomed it. it’s strangely energizing to have people who don’t make music themselves take potshots at you from the internet. and there’s always been a current of O.F.T.G. with me (i’m saying me and not us because, let’s be honest… no one hates anyone else in LCD, partially because they’re unhateable, and also because they have the wisdom to not shoot their mouths off nearly as much), and that’s just fine. i’m pretty used to it, and find it relatively funny.

but in my naiveté i hadn’t seen one thing coming:

there are people who don’t hate us at all, in fact who feel very attached to the band, and have put a lot of themselves into their care of us, who feel betrayed by us coming back and playing. who had traveled for or tried to go to the MSG show, and who found it to be an important moment for them, which now to them feels cheapened. i just hadn’t considered that. i know—ridiculous on my part. i saw some comments online a few days ago from people who felt that way, and it blindsided me, and made me incredibly sad. i saw some other people replying with stuff like “if that’s what you cared about, and you don’t want them to play anymore, maybe you liked the band for pretty weird reasons”, and it made me think. the truth is, while i get what the replier is saying, i kind of side with the original complaint: if you cared a lot about our band, and you put a lot of yourself into that moment (or anything about us you chose), and you feel betrayed now, then i completely understand that. it’s your right to define what you love about a band, and it’s your right to decry their actions and words as you see fit, because it’s you, frankly, who have done much of the work to sustain that relationship, not the band. i was so clearly expecting the cynical cries of foul, that i hadn’t seen the heartfelt complaint coming. we’ve always talked about how we’d never betray anyone who cares about us, but here we are now. given the chance again to make new music with the people i care about, and who have given a big part of their lives to doing this weird thing together, and who wanted to do it again, i took it. and in doing so, i betrayed whoever feels betrayed by that action. i by no means think that everyone who liked our band feels bad right now. a lot of people who liked our band are very happy, and we’ve been pretty blown away by the almost overwhelmingly positive response. last night i sat with al and nancy in a weird italian bar and we talked about how loving awesome it was that so many people were happy to have us back. but that doesn’t take away from those who feel hurt. to you i have to say: i’m seriously sorry. the only thing we can do now is get back into the studio and finish this record, and make it as loving good as we can possibly make it. it needs to be better than anything we’ve done before, in my mind, because it won’t have the help of being the first time. and we have to play better than we’ve ever played, frankly. every show has to be better than the best show we’ve played before for anyone to even say “well, that was good. i mean, not as good as they used to be. but, you know. it was good.” we know all that. which is healthy for us, because it means we go back to war, like in the beginning. for us it was always war, but now it’s really with ourselves. maybe we have a chance to make it right.

in other, more pedantic news: we’re not just playing coachella. we’re playing all over. we’re not just having some reunion tour. :siren: we’re releasing a record (sometime this year—still working on it, actually) :siren:, so this isn’t a victory lap or anything, which wouldn’t be of much interest to us. this is just the bus full of substitute teachers back from their coffee break with new music and the same weird gear—or as much of it as we still have (it’s very interesting to re-buy the same gear, and in some cases buy gear BACK from people you sold it to), and rambling around trying to be louder than everyone else. thank gently caress we were never skinny and young. or at least i wasn’t. that always happens with bands… they aren’t fat when they come back, typically, just, i don’t know, thicker. i was lucky to start this band kind of fat and old, so there’s no, like “look how YOUNG they were!” poo poo to even find on the internet. i mean, we were younger and everything, but we weren’t young, if you know what i mean.

one last note: thank you to everyone who has been absurdly kind to us over the past 14 (!) years. if you have moved on and don’t like us anymore, that’s obviously ok, too. but please, if we ever gave you any joy, just find something new and good that blows you away, and post it on our facebook page or something with, like, “hey gently caress you guys! this is the REAL poo poo!” so we can hear new good stuff. that would be the best for all of us.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 5, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also important to note that "this isn't just some reunion tour." They're doing a full tour (hooray, I am done with festivals) and probably making more music/touring more after that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Very happy to hear that he apologized to people who felt weird about this that also went to the last show like me. I feel a lot better about this tour / album now.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

As do I

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

likewise. it's funny i feel like i went through the stages of negativity described in murphy's post after the coachella announcement. first i had some cynical complaints, then some heartfelt complaints (i was also at the last show, it was one of the best experiences of my life, a reunion will cheapen that), and then i read murphy's post (all of it!) and am nothing but excited.

first got into LCD around Sound of Silver, and by the time This Is Happening came out they were my favorite active band and one of my all time favorites period. really has always felt like a perfect amalgamation of all my favorite types of music and absolutely love how much they jammed out live. if you asked me two questions, what type of music would i want my band to play (if i had a band) and what type of live performance would i want my band to give, the answers would be LCD and their last show. just fuckin JAMMIN

there's still a part of me that's a little sad -- i'm well aware that i'm not nearly as "into" music today as i was pre-2011 (aka i don't smoke weed anymore), so even if the new album is just as good, i'm bummed that i know i won't have the same headspace to devote to it as i did with TIH, 45:33, Sound of Silver... growing pains, man!

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Retirements/Reunions aside, LCD Soundsystem has never once disappointed me. I'll always welcome new music from Murphy.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Listening to The Long Goodbye now for the first time front-back, and it really is incredible. For those who are pissed about the final show not being final, look at it this way - it's not the final show anymore, but it is one of, if not the very best, the most incredible modern concert experiences ever.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
so basically this i'm done with music thing means one of two things

the old way was they would disappear for a long time then reappear with greatest hits tours or casino type poo poo

the new way is you disappear for around 5 years or so then you come back and do some new stuff which is very slow to make and not as good quality-wise as when you were in the full swing of things which is likely a state you won't get the momentum for a second time

is it better to just go until you're done or save a bit right before the end and tediously sputter out a few albums over the course of your senior years?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CRINDY posted:

Listening to The Long Goodbye now for the first time front-back, and it really is incredible. For those who are pissed about the final show not being final, look at it this way - it's not the final show anymore, but it is one of, if not the very best, the most incredible modern concert experiences ever.

:agreed:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Mr. Unlucky posted:

so basically this i'm done with music thing means one of two things

the old way was they would disappear for a long time then reappear with greatest hits tours or casino type poo poo

the new way is you disappear for around 5 years or so then you come back and do some new stuff which is very slow to make and not as good quality-wise as when you were in the full swing of things which is likely a state you won't get the momentum for a second time

is it better to just go until you're done or save a bit right before the end and tediously sputter out a few albums over the course of your senior years?

So basically you're asking whether it's better to burn out than to fade awaaaaay

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bonnaroo? Yep!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nail Rat posted:

If they only do festivals, the Chicago show would be lolla.

Yep, Lollapalooza. Sunday, though :barf: and with a terrible supporting lineup, at least in my opinion.

I'll still go, but glad I didn't get 4 day tickets. That festival has gone way downhill, 1 big headliner each day then a bunch of filler.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

Yep, Lollapalooza. Sunday, though :barf: and with a terrible supporting lineup, at least in my opinion.

I'll still go, but glad I didn't get 4 day tickets. That festival has gone way downhill, 1 big headliner each day then a bunch of filler.

Yeah this is worst case scenario for sure. Most of the supporting acts I have interest in I've already seen and it's $120 for a drat single day ticket? I want to see them again, but not necessarily for that much to be 100 yards away surrounded by gossiping teenagers. I think I'll just wait until day of to see if anyone is desperate to sell.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Sunday tickets. A little bit of an overpay, but then again, I spent over $1000 to go see the final concert. $240 for my wife and I to go to a festival in our own town is very cheap compared to that.

I hope they'll be playing some new material as well.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I'm forcing myself to endure one day of Lolla to see them as well.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you're lucky enough to live in NYC, they're doing two shows this Sunday and Monday. Here's the link for the lottery.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1k_LQ0VBlr8QZNFi02GJUljFMa4IIobNMZP3wRgcvfgc/viewform?c=0&w=1

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
they're not requiring a credit card so everyone's gonna stuff the lottery with extra emails, not expecting to win this one

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

As with most Webster shows, I expect half the tickets are reserved for VIPs. So basically all of NYC will be fighting over 500 tix.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's crazy to me how much bigger they got after the breakup than they were before it. The last time I saw LCD Soundsystem in Chicago it was at a ~1000 capacity club on the This is Happening tour. Now they're headlining Lollapalooza to a crowd of 100,000.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Webster Hall was selling tickets to tonight's show at their sports bar earlier and may still have some left. They might do the same thing tomorrow, if anyone is willing to risk the trip there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's crazy to me how much bigger they got after the breakup than they were before it. The last time I saw LCD Soundsystem in Chicago it was at a ~1000 capacity club on the This is Happening tour. Now they're headlining Lollapalooza to a crowd of 100,000.

They were getting near top billing at Bonnaroo just before the breakup. Headlining Lolla isn't really impressive since the tickets sell out before they say who's headlining. By and large, the people going don't care.

If they start touring arenas, then we'll know they've moved to the next level.

• Locked thread