Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
I would actually not mind if they made any real game out of the assets that they are wasting trying to shoehorn into the dumbest physics simulation ever. I mean they could easily make a TCG with all those jpgs, might as well play to their strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

michael abrash of microsoft, id, rad, valve and now oculus fame believes that the final 10% of a project is the hardest part to finish. there's an old blog post where he refers to it as the second 90% because it's easy to get distracted/dismayed/etc and never ship your product. citizens who think its only going to get easier for croberts to finish this as it moves along are seriously fooling themselves.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

SC is the Benjamin Button of videogame development. By the end of 2016 it will only have been in development for one year, and by the end of 2017 development will have just started and also the game is now a P2W card-game app that's being developed in Singapore.

Well, there might be some gaming breakthrough in the next two years that will totally make sense for a space sim type game, like a giant leap in some voxel physics. Too bad it will be in an entirely different engine and they will have to start over from scratch. You see, they are just doing this to make sure that this will be the best game possible. Maybe by 2021 we will start seeing some alpha candidate "pre-alpha" builds coming out.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

phosdex posted:

michael abrash of microsoft, id, rad, valve and now oculus fame believes that the final 10% of a project is the hardest part to finish. there's an old blog post where he refers to it as the second 90% because it's easy to get distracted/dismayed/etc and never ship your product. citizens who think its only going to get easier for croberts to finish this as it moves along are seriously fooling themselves.

Is that the "add fun" bit?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In all seriousness though, its not like the entirety of reddit acts that way. Same here for SA.

Reddit in general is much dumber though, mainly because of the aforementioned voting system

:effort: post.

I was a redditor during the Boston Bombing. I saw the subreddit that opened up that was meant to find the terrorists. There was this kid from my undergrad, Sunil. I didn't know him, but he had been missing for a while. Somehow a couple redditors got it into their heads that this guy was the terrorist. They were upvoted. Then everyone starts sending hatemail on a facebook page made by this guy's family for the search of this kid.

I told them to stop, I was doxxed by one guy who was angry that I was telling people to stop. He checked my profile, found out I was brown, and automatically assumed that I was involved in the bombing. I deleted the account shortly after he contacted me via fb message. But this family was getting bombarded with hate mail, people telling them to kill themselves, telling them their son is all these terrible things. Then the police find the real boston bombers the next day.

Redditors didn't apologize for poo poo. They continue on like nothing happened. Then they find Sunil's body washed up ashore. He drowned himself a month before the bombings. And to this day, redditors consistently deny any wrongdoing.

I mean poo poo happens. Something Awful has a lovely past too, but goons aren't just blatantly ignoring it like Aatrek didn't exist or something.

Again like you said, the voting system is dumb. Jokes get upvoted to the top, and serious discussion involves only the most popular opinions. But I just really hate reddit because of that experience.

Are the memes funny? Sure. Are there decent subreddits with interesting stuff? Sure, I like /r/Futurology.

It's great for content aggregation. But I won't stop hating redditors. It's a pretty drat toxic website. Hell, they just kicked out a recent reddit CEO for banning a subreddit dedicated to taking facebook pictures of fat people and making fun of them. Real people's lives were being ruined and reddit hated that the CEO wanted to make it a friendler place.

SA has more free speech without being loving creepy assholes like that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Reddit/r/findthestarcitizenunbelievers.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

How many dick pics do I trade to get a tour of the cig offices?

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011

Ravane posted:

I was a redditor during the Boston Bombing. I saw the subreddit that opened up that was meant to find the terrorists. There was this kid from my undergrad, Sunil. I didn't know him, but he had been missing for a while. Somehow a couple redditors got it into their heads that this guy was the terrorist. They were upvoted. Then everyone starts sending hatemail on a facebook page made by this guy's family for the search of this kid.

I told them to stop, I was doxxed by one guy who was angry that I was telling people to stop. He checked my profile, found out I was brown, and automatically assumed that I was involved in the bombing. I deleted the account shortly after he contacted me via fb message. But this family was getting bombarded with hate mail, people telling them to kill themselves, telling them their son is all these terrible things. Then the police find the real boston bombers the next day.

Redditors didn't apologize for poo poo. They continue on like nothing happened. Then they find Sunil's body washed up ashore. He drowned himself a month before the bombings. And to this day, redditors consistently deny any wrongdoing.

I mean poo poo happens. Something Awful has a lovely past too, but goons aren't just blatantly ignoring it like Aatrek didn't exist or something.

Again like you said, the voting system is dumb. Jokes get upvoted to the top, and serious discussion involves only the most popular opinions. But I just really hate reddit because of that experience.

Are the memes funny? Sure. Are there decent subreddits with interesting stuff? Sure, I like /r/Futurology.

It's great for content aggregation. But I won't stop hating redditors. It's a pretty drat toxic website. Hell, they just kicked out a recent reddit CEO for banning a subreddit dedicated to taking facebook pictures of fat people and making fun of them. Real people's lives were being ruined and reddit hated that the CEO wanted to make it a friendler place.

being creepier than goons really ought to win a userbase some kind of award

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Anything funny happen in the last Two Weeks™? I was caught up until

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ravane posted:

drat dude, sorry to hear about what happened to you and Sunil. :(

I was/am a redditor for years, and I remember the stories of the internet sleuths trying to find the culprits but I never heard of the... results of it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

I'm using a throwaway for this, as my main account is easily traceable back to me.

My story: I backed the original kickstarter, and I have since upgraded my fleet on a monthly basis. Due to a recent change in circumstances, I've been looking at my finances, and tonight I calculated how much I've spent on this game. It's over £4000!

I have ships I can't even see yet, as they are still yet to be created. The ships I can use are buggy as hell. I get 15fps on a relatively good system, and the game crashes before I can get to do anything interesting. Half the time, griefers destroy or steal my ships before I get a chance to get to the landing pads.

I've been defending SC and Chris Roberts since day one. I attacked Derek Smart and goons when they started causing mischief. I have remained faithful, but tonight I had a huge wake-up call. £4000. Four thousand pounds, and for what?

After 3-4 years of development, I have what appears to be a Crysis mod. Watching Chris Roberts try and fail to play his own game in the Xmas livestream shows that there is very little substance to Star Citizen, and I'm now unsure if there ever will be.

£4000. Am I mad? What am I doing? That's more than I spent on my car!

I'm finding it really hard at the moment to still have faith, and I don't know what to do :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3yv8en/i_think_i_have_a_problem_dont_know_what_to_do/

:siren:

We still have a few goons that were denied refunds and have a couple hundred sunk in this clown show don't we? Shouldn't be hard to call out this guy on his bullshit. If you do contact him please post the results of your conversation.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mentos Dan posted:

Lots of things happened, but at the same time nothing happened. Star citizen is a singularity?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

We still have a few goons that were denied refunds and have a couple hundred sunk in this clown show don't we? Shouldn't be hard to call out this guy on his bullshit. If you do contact him please post the results of your conversation.

he is one of the big buy-and-sell guys in /r/starcitizen_trades

but I am sure the $9000 worth of account is much much less worth it right now because of what CIG has done.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

The Derek Smart Heresy

Only Chris Roberts can protect us against the goon hordes and their master, Derek Smart. Do not forget the Cloud Imperium mantra, "Chris Roberts Protects..."*

*This is what shitizens actually believe is happening.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mentos Dan posted:

hmmm if that's where you left off then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

....welcome to the first day of the rest of your life friend.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hey Reddit I'm willing to sell my SA account. I'm no 10 year account but enough where you can post and no one will think you're a j4g. Pm your offer.

No Dick wulf I do not accept dick pics as currency.

E: also no seraph. You're a creepy pedo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

For 30k I bet lowtax would sell you his account. Think about it Reddit. You can post as lowtax for a mere 30k

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Did we ever do a 12 days of paaaaarpmas?

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

jaegerx posted:

Hey Reddit I'm willing to sell my SA account. I'm no 10 year account but enough where you can post and no one will think you're a j4g. Pm your offer.

No Dick wulf I do not accept dick pics as currency.

E: also no seraph. You're a creepy pedo

I'll sell my 14 year account AND will accept dick pics, the floppier the better.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did we ever do a 12 days of paaaaarpmas?
we can't do that because it'll take 2 weeks before we get anything

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

ZenMaster posted:

Seriously, he realized what he said immediately... then Disco chimes in... the look he gives him, then to the camera...

gave me a chill :(

Mine came true today at 1000 croberts was right, dreams happen now.

Wow, that guy used to look a lot happier

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jobbo_Fett posted:

drat dude, sorry to hear about what happened to you and Sunil. :(

I was/am a redditor for years, and I remember the stories of the internet sleuths trying to find the culprits but I never heard of the... results of it.

I got the easy end of it, honestly. Dude stopped bothering me after the police discovered the Tsaranev brothers the next day.

I feel horrible for Sunil's family. Like I said, I don't know him or his family, but I saw the messages on their wall, it really bothered me how sociopathic people could be. Granted, not all of these people were redditors, some were from twitter and 4chan. But I mean, all it requires is a little bit of forethought that these people have a missing son, and there's no evidence that Sunil was involved besides his disappearance, maybe he's not a terrorist, and maybe there's no reason to involve an innocent family into an already tragic situation.

Reddit has a lot more of these stories, unfortunately. This hit home for me, which is why I'm more critical of reddit. Not to say that all redditors are like this. I have a lot of friends who reddit, and definitely no goon friends, as far as I know. But I think maybe the voting system might be intrinsically involved in why things like this happen. Or maybe it's a result of the size of reddit.

Anyway, I recognize I'm biased. But that's my story of why I prefer not to use reddit.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ZenMaster posted:

Seriously, he realized what he said immediately... then Disco chimes in... the look he gives him, then to the camera...

gave me a chill :(
well that awkward moment of realtalk sure boosts confidence in CIG's ability to deliver

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

jaegerx posted:

For 30k I bet lowtax would sell you his account. Think about it Reddit. You can post as lowtax for a mere 30k
For 30k I'll sell you a Class S forum account that has 5 loading bays, can hold up to 58kg cargo, 6 fully functional weapon pods, a diametric transpositional shield array generator, and a coffee cup on the dashboard. Also a bird.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

I want you to know I upvote any reply or comment you make on Reddit, Melkor. Keep fighting the good fight, man- I can't imagine where you find the patience for enduring that much shiite...
Thanks but that's truly a lost cause, my karma is so low by now that I'll never be able to post more than once every 10 minutes.

As for how I can do it... Between '97 and '01 I did little else than go to RaptureReady and debate religion with the nuts on their turf. I guess I just like swimming in poo poo, please don't kink shame.

Wyld
Sep 2, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ravane posted:

I got the easy end of it, honestly. Dude stopped bothering me after the police discovered the Tsaranev brothers the next day.

I feel horrible for Sunil's family. Like I said, I don't know him or his family, but I saw the messages on their wall, it really bothered me how sociopathic people could be. Granted, not all of these people were redditors, some were from twitter and 4chan. But I mean, all it requires is a little bit of forethought that these people have a missing son, and there's no evidence that Sunil was involved besides his disappearance, maybe he's not a terrorist, and maybe there's no reason to involve an innocent family into an already tragic situation.

Reddit has a lot more of these stories, unfortunately. This hit home for me, which is why I'm more critical of reddit. Not to say that all redditors are like this. I have a lot of friends who reddit, and definitely no goon friends, as far as I know. But I think maybe the voting system might be intrinsically involved in why things like this happen. Or maybe it's a result of the size of reddit.

Anyway, I recognize I'm biased. But that's my story of why I prefer not to use reddit.

I think a slow loud resounding gently caress REDDIT - gently caress them all to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSFZktZNySg

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lowtax posted:

For 30k I'll sell you a Class S forum account that has 5 loading bays, can hold up to 58kg cargo, 6 fully functional weapon pods, a diametric transpositional shield array generator, and a coffee cup on the dashboard. Also a bird.

Bootcha, I need your investment strategies here.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Ravane posted:

Better hurry up, we can only manufacture 7 every 345 decades, so supplies are EXTREMELY limited.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh we passed the 1000 mark while I was playing Vermintide

congrats thread

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MeLKoR posted:

A pedo mod got 7 days probation. Chris knew

There is always more and it is always worse.

Its so obviously transparent. Fanatical pedos will still pay you money, especially if they have a guild or a clan. People who criticize and doubt, especially who spread that doubt might impact the sale of .jpegs so they get permanently banned.

gently caress CIG and Chris Roberts, seriously.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

CIG actually promised a "Professional Feature Length Documentary" of the making of Star Citizen already. I'm sure it's assets are in the pipeline and once they remove a few blockers it will be on the way.
I just watched the 30 for 30 of John Spano's fraudulent purchase of the NY Islanders. It's funny how there were so many things relatable to SC: constant deadline delays, CRobbers making others think he's more successful than he really is, nothing to show for development, how easy it is for nerds to mindlessly throw $100 million to him and Sandi, and how he's going to be the savior of PC gaming.

Can't wait for the feature documentary of his movie game and MMO/not MMO/PU/Poo/whatever they're calling SC this week collapsing.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lime Tonics posted:

I'm using a throwaway for this, as my main account is easily traceable back to me.

My story: I backed the original kickstarter, and I have since upgraded my fleet on a monthly basis. Due to a recent change in circumstances, I've been looking at my finances, and tonight I calculated how much I've spent on this game. It's over £4000!

I have ships I can't even see yet, as they are still yet to be created. The ships I can use are buggy as hell. I get 15fps on a relatively good system, and the game crashes before I can get to do anything interesting. Half the time, griefers destroy or steal my ships before I get a chance to get to the landing pads.

I've been defending SC and Chris Roberts since day one. I attacked Derek Smart and goons when they started causing mischief. I have remained faithful, but tonight I had a huge wake-up call. £4000. Four thousand pounds, and for what?

After 3-4 years of development, I have what appears to be a Crysis mod. Watching Chris Roberts try and fail to play his own game in the Xmas livestream shows that there is very little substance to Star Citizen, and I'm now unsure if there ever will be.

£4000. Am I mad? What am I doing? That's more than I spent on my car!

I'm finding it really hard at the moment to still have faith, and I don't know what to do :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3yv8en/i_think_i_have_a_problem_dont_know_what_to_do/

Make a token gesture of asking for a refund while you simultaneously initiate a charge back with your bank and credit card. There's no loving way they are just going to give you back nearly 6 grand US, you're going to have to fight as hard as you can at this stage because they are burning through capital and still don't have any real means of income.

The fact they are preparing for a fifth wave of ships to be released shows this.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ravane posted:

I'm really sorry you had to go through that, mob mentality is a bitch and a half and humanity is assholes.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lowtax posted:

Better hurry up, we can only manufacture 7 every 345 decades, so supplies are EXTREMELY limited.

If I email customer support if you run out do you think there's a chance that you might find one in the back room? I can't make the payment until this Friday as I have to move the money through another account to make sure that the child support people don't see it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Does it include LTI?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

1) Does product have toilet?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

hmmm if that's where you left off then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

....welcome to the first day of the rest of your life friend.

Faaaarp.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dusty Lens posted:

If I email customer support if you run out do you think there's a chance that you might find one in the back room? I can't make the payment until this Friday as I have to move the money through another account to make sure that the child support people don't see it.
Customer support consists of a plastic drinking bird hitting a macro over and over again that replies by calling you Derek Smart.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I don't see where the wulge fits in all this, but I bought my SASmithspal Brazilianpeanutwar a new avatar so that will pay for another 6 pages of this thread maybe

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

I don't see where the wulge fits in all this

don't worry, he doesn't take much room

• Locked thread