Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris is really good at turning lots of money into even more money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AP posted:

No idea, I haven't played around with the CryEngine much, maybe Gwaihir or someone will comment.

It would just crash on startup (Well.. Guaranteed crash, not a typical 50/50 crash :v:) , they're too different. Swapping a map by just renaming works because they're still both maps, but the ships are far more than an individual model like a player character is at this point.

Currently as far as I remember you can swap maps, you can swap textures to do something like put a dickbutt bumpersticker on the buggy, you cannot edit item stats, and you can't replace textures that are at the engine level (aka in engine.pak, stuff like the mouse cursor, or the blackout-redout effect)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

if the forums page counter was in binary, the next page would be page six

just sayin'

we wouldn't get to page 1000 until page 1111101000

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i can confirm that Star Citizen's coding is directed by radium

and grover is chief 3d architect

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

i'm a very funny guy when you get to know me

much like mitt romney

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm getting convinced that Chris doesn't actually care about the "game" of Star Citizen, only the simulation and the movie. He'll demand 30 iterations of a score for a single scene but will let the controller disparity and lovely flight mechanics languish for years. He'll go through seven iterations of the character skeleton but won't bother with having pips converge so that you have a single point of aim. The amazing video of him "playing" AC 2.0 shows just how disconnected he is from his own product. I'm sure he can spend hours talking about the fidelity of performance capture and the amazing time he had hamming it up with Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman, but he can't even go one minute without bitching about how lovely the chat UI is for his own game. I wouldn't be surprised if he's spent more time arguing about the score for that scene than he has for the entirety of weapon balance or missile mechanics.

Its really Squadron 42 he wants, that's the vibe I'm getting. To what end, I don't know. Hollywood hasn't, nor probably ever will, give two flying fucks about games. They are competing industries and you typically don't jump back and forth because they have very different skill-sets. Movies and games have been going further and further apart from each other and this is only going to increase as the industry finds itself. So I don't see the rationale thinking that if he makes a killer game (any game, at all), he'll have a way back into movies. It is not going to happen, no matter how good SQ42 is or how many units it pushes out or how much money it raises in crowdfunding. Games are still considered beneath a lot of Hollywood executives and to those think they aren't, they are simply ambivalent towards them. He has to know this. Nor is Squadron 42 what his players really want either. I don't think they all that much care anymore besides being a glorified tutorial or an interesting aside to get them interested in the multi-player aspect. Which he both does and does not seem to care about. Maybe he just wants to make a movie and doesn't care if it gets him into Hollywood or not, this is what he wants to do and he is going to play movie-maker with other people's money.

It also seems like he cares about the 'realism' of the universe but from looking at the video he at the same time doesn't give a poo poo at all about playing in the universe. Overall, it feels like he doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing except he has the ego to think he's a genius and everything he does is perfect and won't hear otherwise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ywjoe/i_finally_have_a_sc_21_story_to_tell/

*with a sigh he drew his hanzo steel*

Stay back m'lady, I'll deal with this ruffian.

Lol, as if anything in this game has an actual center of mass

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Taygon will write the lore for the space furries lions furries

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol, as if anything in this game has an actual center of mass

Ben does. EDIT --- oh and Chris' and Sandi's egos.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Darkpriest667 posted:

Stars haven't been implemented in the game yet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Darkpriest667 posted:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Dapper Dan posted:

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Be sure to check out the guy that tries to salute Roberts and then gets glitched and frozen in the 'T' pose. Then try to recall any developer demoing their game had that happen to them.

Just noticed that they call him Christ Roberts in chat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I Greyhound posted:

Just noticed that they call him Christ Roberts in chat.

He's saving PC Gaming; of course!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing it, I'm watching Wing Commander!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

Does anybody remember the story about why Star Citizen's first composer left?

I remember - a thread or two back - when there was briefly some thread chatter because THAT composer had made a comment on social media about working with egomaniacs or something like that. The comment was clearly a reference to Chris-- who had apparently been very frustrating to deal with.

It seems like this was around the time of all TheEscapist article fallout. And in light of this newer composer's comments, seems worth revisiting. I just can't remember enough of the specifics to know how to find it...

Is this it? https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1020433611340796&id=148288578555308

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Star Citizen release countdown:

I will update and maintain the image link to make sure it's continually updated according to the confirmed release schedule

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Star Citizen release countdown:

I will update and maintain the image link to make sure it's continually updated according to the confirmed release schedule

:thurman:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

That's some silent hill poo poo right there.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Dapper Dan posted:

Its really Squadron 42 he wants, that's the vibe I'm getting. To what end, I don't know. Hollywood hasn't, nor probably ever will, give two flying fucks about games. They are competing industries and you typically don't jump back and forth because they have very different skill-sets. Movies and games have been going further and further apart from each other and this is only going to increase as the industry finds itself.
Games are still considered beneath a lot of Hollywood executives and to those think they aren't, they are simply ambivalent towards them.

:owned:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
a friend hit me up the other day to celebrate that he got his SC refund as well.

it got me thinking about the game, though. So many promises to do so many things, so little of it shown off theoretically "close" to release. You know what it reminds me of?

this feels exactly like the pre-launch hype for Star Wars Galaxies.

man, that game was supposed to be the poo poo. you could do ANYTHING! any profession, or mix and match, and do X and Y and later on we'll add Z. and almost all of it was poo poo because it was universally halfassed and crammed in to meet some of the promises. And so open-world with so much to do that it felt that there was barely anything to do. Of course, that was in comparatively early days of MMOness, and it was gonna be Star Wars so how could it go wrong?

feeling echoes of that now.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

The Alpha Goon ($15,000)

Need to have it all? The Alpha Goon package lets you have all forum features announced up to 2014, plus a couple 2015 Concepts (See package contents).

All limited avatars and limited flair come with an extra copy of themselves (certain exceptions). The package also comes loaded with unlimited signature size and $20,000 GoonBux Starting Money.

Please note that this package does not include a forums account, however it unlocks the ability to purchase one through the store (store does not accept GoonBux).

Any and all forums accounts you purchase while having an Alpha Goon package comes with LTI, which means they cannot be permabanned.

guys i just bought this and now i have friends, i am marrying my celebrity crush, and lowtax is officiating at the ceremony

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Gah, wtf is that?!

2.0 is so sick of croberts poo poo that it is making itself

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

Gah, wtf is that?!

2.0 is so sick of croberts poo poo that it is making itself

Chris Roberts has been creating the Technological Singularity, and we never knew.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I remember those guys from Doom 3.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Breakin' 3: Electric Fidelity lookin' good

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/mdtdorpwrmca8r/source/JumpPoint_03-11_Nov-15_BTS5.jpg

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:gary:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

See, there's your problem right there - your ballast isn't connected to anything. Can't have that rolling around loose.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah this screams "fun" to me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

same

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

Its really Squadron 42 he wants, that's the vibe I'm getting. To what end, I don't know. Hollywood hasn't, nor probably ever will, give two flying fucks about games. They are competing industries and you typically don't jump back and forth because they have very different skill-sets. Movies and games have been going further and further apart from each other and this is only going to increase as the industry finds itself. So I don't see the rationale thinking that if he makes a killer game (any game, at all), he'll have a way back into movies. It is not going to happen, no matter how good SQ42 is or how many units it pushes out or how much money it raises in crowdfunding. Games are still considered beneath a lot of Hollywood executives and to those think they aren't, they are simply ambivalent towards them. He has to know this. Nor is Squadron 42 what his players really want either. I don't think they all that much care anymore besides being a glorified tutorial or an interesting aside to get them interested in the multi-player aspect. Which he both does and does not seem to care about. Maybe he just wants to make a movie and doesn't care if it gets him into Hollywood or not, this is what he wants to do and he is going to play movie-maker with other people's money.

It also seems like he cares about the 'realism' of the universe but from looking at the video he at the same time doesn't give a poo poo at all about playing in the universe. Overall, it feels like he doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing except he has the ego to think he's a genius and everything he does is perfect and won't hear otherwise.

I've said this before, but nothing seems to piss him off more than people asking him questions about Star Citizen during the segment of the livestream where they "should" be asking about Squadron 42, and more importantly performance capture / the script / the actors / whatever. It's amazing how irritated he gets with his own supporters asking him questions about the game they actually want to play. Of course that wouldn't be a problem if they put up a forum thread and pre-selected questions instead of relying on loving chat of all things, but if it hasn't worked for the last three loving years why start now?

What really bugs me is that it doesn't even seem like he wants Squadron 42: The Game. He wants Squadron 42: The Movie and if that means tacking on a game then so be it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Someone should offer to buy GodEmperor Croberts an SA account.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Simulation first, game second.

What they're simulating doesn't actually matter. Only that it's a simulation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Someone should offer to buy GodEmperor Croberts an SA account.

if you can talk him into joining ill buy the account

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy