Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The iron giant didnt have a monkey tail.

And Zidane didn't lose his tail during his childhood adventures and go to rescue his son from his evil brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

mandatory lesbian posted:

tailed hero is a reference i believe but i have a feeling Journey to the West isn't about aliens, as they had not given us cellphones yet

Yeah all I know about Journey to the West is there's a Monkey King and it was about finding the 7 sutras which became the dragon balls.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't both just reference Journey to the West?

Don't tell Tenzarin about Saiyuki!!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

corn in the bible posted:

ff12 international adds a bunch of weapons that don't have any models and also the chests they are in are invisible too because effort is difficult

IZJS was put together by like one guy and his roommate.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Dr Pepper posted:

With a budget of three bucks and a half-eaten tortilla.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah all I know about Journey to the West is there's a Monkey King and it was about finding the 7 sutras which became the dragon balls.

I think there's a few other animal-kings but yes, Zidane and Goku are references to the Monkey King, tho DBZ goes a bit harder on referencing the entire story. Altho like I said I haven't played FF9, so if there are references past Zidane I don't know about them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Epi Lepi posted:

The first part of DB does super hard, but it falls off around the time it becomes a fight manga

9 not so much

This guy is an idiot

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Moot discussion because DBZ is cool.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

FF12 is better than FF9 because it copies star wars instead of DBZ.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DBZ is 100000000x cooler than Star Wars.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

i don't like how you're either trolling or don't know any references to anything but pop culture

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember that trench run in FF12

or that time Balthier told Vaan he's his father

or The Force

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
thanks to the square enix exec who stole my thoughts and ported 6 and 9, the best final fantasies, to the pc

i mean you hosed up the 6 port but the thought was there

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Both comparisons are made alot. It is easier to say people are trolling because they have different opinions.

Tae posted:

or The Force

The Mist

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This is true. They took the lighthearted charm of the first half, removed it, and replaced it with extremely long dungeons and anime philosophy.

Makes you think. So deep.

I love how this line is delivered by a villain who is also a tremendous rear end in a top hat, so the only thing you're actually supposed to think is, "what a pretentious loving prick."

Tae posted:

I remember that trench run in FF12

tbh 50% of ff12 is running through trenches in deserts

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 31, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Both comparisons are made alot. It is easier to say people are trolling because they have different opinions.

The Mist

no it's more i want to believe your trolling then aren't well-read

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I love how this line is delivered by a villain who is also a tremendous rear end in a top hat, so the only thing you're actually supposed to think is, "what a pretentious loving prick."

does garland say he's going to knock anyone down, this is very important to how much i will enjoy FF 9

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Sadly he does not, it wasn't recognized as that classic of a line until people complained when it wasn't in Origins

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

I feel like this is a really common media thing where people have a problem detaching "this character is supposed to be a jerk, douchebag, weirdo, and/or idiot" from "wow the writers must be stupid or pretentious"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I prefer FFXII to FFIX but it has nothing to do with Star Wars or DBZ. I just like the story and world more in XII.

IX's still good, though.

As for Garland's line about life and death, it is important to remember Garland is an immortal cyborg thing that exists to kill planets. To say he has a warped sense of things would be an understatement. Thinking he's actually supposed to be channeling real philosophy is like criticizing Seymour in FFX for his 'if all life were to end, all suffering would end." He's a crazy ghost and that's all you're supposed to think.

Also when Garland becomes a ghost he becomes really cool.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I feel like this is a really common media thing where people have a problem detaching "this character is supposed to be a jerk, douchebag, weirdo, and/or idiot" from "wow the writers must be stupid or pretentious"

This is absolutely correct. People try to poo poo on the writers because of things a character says or does and it's pretty much always just a cheap and dishonest way to try and poo poo on them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I just read up on FF15 and made myself sad. More action-adventure with only one controllable character? Thank Odin Bravely Second is coming out in the US next year.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

tbf in alot of bad writing characters going philosophical is basically just an excuse for the author to directly state their views on things

but yeah that doesn't really apply to philosophical jrpg villains because you're supposed to want to kick their rear end

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It looks like they cropped the backgrounds in FFIX to get widescreen. Hopefully, there's a toggle in the options menu.

Tenzarin posted:

The new Star Wars movie copies DBZ's Saiyan Saga (TFA spoilers). Rey is Gohan because she's forcibly taken to a hostile desert environment, must learn to fend for herself, and forms a bond with Finn/Piccolo. After her close friends are grievously injured, she finds the courage to accept her heritage and defeat the big bad, Kyle Ren/Vegeta. Kylo Ren is the bad guy who arrogantly underestimates his opponents and is brought down through a combined effort. Finn is Piccolo since he's a baddie turned good guy who forms an unlikely alliance with Poe/Goku. He also has a bit of Krillen in that he can cut through anything (Kienzan/lightsaber) but never uses it properly and gets beat up to give his friends a power boost. Poe is Goku because he's side lined for a long time but comes back in the end to D-Day everyone and forms an enduring friendship with Finn.

And Captain Phasma is that farmer with a shotgun. No wait, that farmer actually fired his gun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The circle is complete.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Goku, was put on Earth to destroy it, but had an accident and lost his memory.
Zidane was put on Gaia to facilitate it's own destruction, but lost his memory due to an accident.
Wow, you're a moron, huh?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Anyway I'm looking forward to the Steam achievement "I have no idea how this one slipped past the translators: Steal the Fairy Flute from Hilgigars"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All I want out of FF9 pc is lagless battles. Hell, if they have to choose between lagless fights and 60fps then this will be the one time I will hold my Framerate Police badge.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

It's like saying that FF Tactics is a ripoff of Game of Thrones.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

It's like saying that FF Tactics is a ripoff of Game of Thrones.

Journey to the West was created in 16th century during the Ming dynasty.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Reik posted:

I just read up on FF15 and made myself sad. More action-adventure with only one controllable character? Thank Odin Bravely Second is coming out in the US next year.

There's also Setsuna, the CT to Bravely's FF.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 31, 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

and the war of the roses happened in the 15th century so you're just kinda proving his point there

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

All I want out of FF9 pc is lagless battles. Hell, if they have to choose between lagless fights and 60fps then this will be the one time I will hold my Framerate Police badge.
When you say lagless, do you mean the camera spinning at the start to cover loading times?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

The Wars of the Roses were a 15th Century succession crisis in England.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even if FF9 was a giant ripoff of Dragonball, which it isn't, then I don't see the problem. Because Dragonball is awesome. Not as awesome as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but still pretty cool.

Also Journey to the West and The Wars of the Roses have nothing to do with each other so I don't get Tenzarin's point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Anyway I'm looking forward to the Steam achievement "I have no idea how this one slipped past the translators: Steal the Fairy Flute from Hilgigars"

Was there any funny achievements in FF7?

FactsAreUseless posted:

When you say lagless, do you mean the camera spinning at the start to cover loading times?

Battles had a nasty habbit of having some horrendous command to action lag exhasibated by the 20(ish) fps.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

No FF7 and FF8 have very plain achievements like "TOP LEVEL" and "END OF GAME"

The mobile ports have more conversational names ("Say Hello, Syldra!") but they're still just for normal stuff like go to place, reach level X

Edit: oh I guess they changed it for the PS4 version, there are some jokes and challenges in there yeah

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The best thing about IX is that it came after the super duper serious VIII and was a nice little fun story after the last two.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Motto posted:

There's also Setsuna, the CT to Bravely's FF.

But then I have to buy a PS Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I got "Consummate Crossdresser" on the PS4 version. :getin: