Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I'm going to go see it in IMAX 3d again today, hopefully it's just as fun second time around. I haven't seen a movie twice in cinemas ever, that's how much I enjoyed this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
The :sperg: in me was put off by Death Star 3 and the destruction of, apparently, the entire New Republic and its military. If the First Order had a fully operational superweapon that could just destroy poo poo at will, why didn't they just do that? gently caress fighting the Resistance/Republic, just blow up their planets until they yield.

I think that was the original plan, before the Mujaheed er um the Resistance blew it up. Straight up blow up planets till they win.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nah they kept loving around looking for Poe and his droid. gently caress Poe, just blow up every planet that the Resistance and Republic are on. Once Luke turns up, blow up that planet too. :shrug:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I recall a throwaway line about the weapon only being able to be used a few times due to the destruction of the sun that it caused? Did anyone else remember that?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Cop gay. So What posted:

I recall a throwaway line about the weapon only being able to be used a few times due to the destruction of the sun that it caused? Did anyone else remember that?

One sun, one shot. The don't show it but the planet itself moves between systems for new fuel sources (SUNS)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Carrie Fisher tweets

Gary is her dog

MY BODY IS MY BRAIN BAG

threat title please

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Money from this one following its predecessors right up her nose, I see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Her interviews leading up to this one were hilarious. No idea what she's on, but who cares, let her go out how she wants.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Carrie Fisher did lots and lots of coke. Enough that there's a few crossed wires still.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Her interviews leading up to this one were hilarious. No idea what she's on, but who cares, let her go out how she wants.

A truckload of anti-psychotics and weekly electro shock therapy and also probably lipitor

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I guess I'm probably the last one to see this, but it owned. Enjoyed it a hell of a lot despite having both Jedi-Rey and Kylo Ren killing Han spoiled before. Only about 20 people in the theater at 8:30 too, not so much because of the time, but probably because we had below zero degrees this morning.

On the one had it really felt like a Star Wars movie should be done while seeming like it recycled a bunch from episode IV. I was pretty okay with Kylo Ren and his anger tantrums while Boyega's acting range is that of a wet towel. Ford completely outclassed everyone in acting, but it didn't feel off because of how they interacted.

Happy to see that robots/aliens are no longer complete doofuses and almost all of the gags had me laughing, thumbs up BB-8 had the entire theater (okay, all 20 people) in stitches. Finn's "yeah, of course I'm resistance, that's how we all look" was kinda awkward-funny.

Han owned, Death Star MkIII owned (*), Rey owned, Poe (?) owned, X-Wings owned, dogfights owned, lightsaber fights owned (especially because they didn't try to go over the loving top with new poo poo), Leia didn't age well and didn't own a whole lot.

Criticism:

- Finn's turning from New Order to Resistance took like 3 loving minutes, but I guess it was cool that they didn't spend toooo much time setting poo poo up and instead making the whole episode being a solid setup for the next two
- During their escape, Poe and Finn take out two turbolaser turrets, celebrate wildly, dude on the bridge goes "They've destroyed our turbolasers, guess that's all we got"...:stare:...other guy goes "Welp, what else we got? Fire the ventral cannons"
- After the superweapon takes out 4/5 planets, Finn runs over to Poe and yells "It was the New Order!" or something. That and a bunch of other really obvious revelations felt kinda awkward
- "Starkiller Base"...really?

And finally, the (*):
:v:: I used to be a lowly foot-soldier in the New Order, here's how their totally-not-deathstar works and here's its one weak spot
:shobon:: Okay, let's go for that!

*planetside*
:clint:: So kid, which division were you in that you know all that poo poo?
:v:: lol, I just made that poo poo up, i was a janitor.
:confuoot:: ...
:v:: But seriously, though, let's shut their shields down
*shuts down shields in like 5 minutes*

*meanwhile*
:shobon: Hey, this plan is working out great. Wait, no, it's not. Oh hang on, they blew something up, plan's fine again. Whoop, there she goes!

Got a chuckle out of me because death star engineers are the most incompetent dinguses in hollywood history.
Really enjoyable movie, though.

/edit:
Oh, and everyone and their loving brother can now fight with lightsabers and hold their own against apprentice sith lords?

/edit2:
Sorry for the detailed and boring post, MassivelyBuckNegro, can't help myself

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 30, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

- Finn's turning from New Order to Resistance took like 3 loving minutes, but I guess it was cool that they didn't spend toooo much time setting poo poo up and instead making the whole episode being a solid setup for the next two

X

relatable imo

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
MassivelyBuckStormtrooper

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The lightsaber battle with Kylo is more believable because dude gets shot by a bowcaster before the fight even begins and still wins for the most part, guessing he didnt kill Rey because he was trying to turn her.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Did anyone else think she kind of read his mind after he offers to teach her? And that's how she suddenly stopped being poo poo with a light saber?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

Did anyone else think she kind of read his mind after he offers to teach her? And that's how she suddenly stopped being poo poo with a light saber?

Well yeah, at least to a certain extent. Something along the lines of an ocean (the first Jedi temple world, etc) blah blah something something. I think somebody mentioned it earlier, it's almost just as likely that Rey just rolls with the poo poo a hell of a lot better than Luke's, "Wait, what the gently caress? There's no loving way... You want me to do what now?" obstinate heel-dragging. Odds are really really good that she's the current end product of the most powerful force users ever, and in all likelihood has been subconsciously utilizing the Force while living on Jakku like her (probably) daddy and grand-daddy did when they were growing up. Natural genetic predisposition for sensitivity/strength, subconsciously used to using the Force as an extension of her abilities, and a combination of not having the time to question poo poo given circumstances with probably a natural roll with the punches attitude.

She did about as well as you could expect given all of that while still being completely untrained versus someone (Kylo) who seems to have been trained (incompletely) by two completely different traditions (Luke and Snoke) plus dude had just got shot by a loving bowcaster.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

dude had just got shot by a loving bowcaster.

Yea, that bowcaster was throwing armored stormtroopers around like rag dolls just prior to this. Even with ~*~the Force~*~ Kylo would be pretty well hosed getting hit by that thing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh yeah, that didn't occur to me. I was a little surprised he didn't just deflect the bowcaster shot away like he did with that shot from Poe coming from behind him at the beginning. Also, Finn was perfectly fine with the lightsaber halfway through the film outside of that bar thing.

Also, for bonus :goonsay:-points:

What's a Starkiller-base-janitor doing to get transferred to the New Order's flagship and then sent on a raid to retrieve an objective of utmost importance to the New Order on his very first mission.

Realtalk: I think it would have been cooler if Finn had quit after a career of being a Stormtrooper, slowly realizing that what he's doing is wrong, instead of being the "perfect" character without ethical conflict in his past.
It's 2015, throw us some characters with edges, man.
:colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Like, a McNulty-type Stormtrooper would have been pretty funny.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That wouldn't have worked well in a 2 hour movie with other things going on.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's Star Wars. Don't expect anything but broad stroke, archetypical characterizations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh yeah, that didn't occur to me. I was a little surprised he didn't just deflect the bowcaster shot away like he did with that shot from Poe coming from behind him at the beginning.

Dude had just straight up murdered his father in an emotional moment, I'd venture a guess that his focus was hosed up.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Flikken posted:

Dude had just straight up murdered his father in an emotional moment, I'd venture a guess that his focus was hosed up.

Probably just checked his account balance and realized his dad died broke.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What's a Starkiller-base-janitor doing to get transferred to the New Order's flagship and then sent on a raid to retrieve an objective of utmost importance to the New Order on his very first mission.

Every stormtrooper is a rifleman first.

And a janitor second.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Heres Hank posted:

Every stormtrooper is a rifleman first.

And a janitor second.

"Hey pogs, wanna go on a combat patrol with some of our grunts?"

"gently caress YES SIR"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Well yeah, at least to a certain extent. Something along the lines of an ocean (the first Jedi temple world, etc) blah blah something something. I think somebody mentioned it earlier, it's almost just as likely that Rey just rolls with the poo poo a hell of a lot better than Luke's, "Wait, what the gently caress? There's no loving way... You want me to do what now?" obstinate heel-dragging. Odds are really really good that she's the current end product of the most powerful force users ever, and in all likelihood has been subconsciously utilizing the Force while living on Jakku like her (probably) daddy and grand-daddy did when they were growing up. Natural genetic predisposition for sensitivity/strength, subconsciously used to using the Force as an extension of her abilities, and a combination of not having the time to question poo poo given circumstances with probably a natural roll with the punches attitude.

She did about as well as you could expect given all of that while still being completely untrained versus someone (Kylo) who seems to have been trained (incompletely) by two completely different traditions (Luke and Snoke) plus dude had just got shot by a loving bowcaster.
The impression I got was that Rey picks up on the Force so fast because she's grown up steeped in the legends of the Jedi and the rebellion. She made herself a little rebel pilot doll and stares out at the horizon while wearing a rebel flight helmet she salvaged, and is super hype about meeting Han because "ohmygosh, you know Luke Skywalker?!" She'd probably heard that Jedi could move objects with the force and sway the weak willed, and she rolls with it because she's the insert for every little kid who grew up with action figures and waving her mom's broom around making wooshing noises, and now she gets to take that power for a spin for real. It also gives her "oh poo poo this was not how I thought it was going to go" moment when she sees the visions brought on by the lightsaber a little more gravity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I also think it's her more emotional nature compared to Luke trying to think about everything. He fights letting it "flow" through him, while she seems to do it pretty naturally.

Edit: But after reading that post, the scene where she sits in the rebel helmet suddenly becomes loving brilliant instead of mildly entertaining.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Edit: But after reading that post, the scene where she sits in the rebel helmet suddenly becomes loving brilliant instead of mildly entertaining.
That slow pan across her carefully hoarded artifacts of the rebellion in her lovely apartment AT-AT before she goes outside to put on the slighty-too-large fighter pilot helmet amid the remnants of a war gone by was one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I think it tells you everything you need about who she is.

The more I think about it, the more her being an insert for those kids makes sense. Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter seem like obvious comparisons, but she isn't sick of her small farm town or being literally abused by evil step-parents; her life is stable, if hand-to-mouth. The closest analog I can think of is Charlie Bucket. After she does the Rejecting the Call hero's journey bit, she gets kidnapped, and right when all the kids in the audience think, "well I wouldn't wait around to be rescued," Rey goes, "oh right, I'm a space wizard now" and mind controls a guard to escape.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 31, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Daisy Ridley is pretty hot.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
✌️

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Dead Reckoning posted:

That slow pan across her carefully hoarded artifacts of the rebellion in her lovely apartment AT-AT before she goes outside to put on the slighty-too-large fighter pilot helmet amid the remnants of a war gone by was one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I think it tells you everything you need about who she is.

The more I think about it, the more her being an insert for those kids makes sense. Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter seem like obvious comparisons, but she isn't sick of her small farm town or being literally abused by evil step-parents; her life is stable, if hand-to-mouth. The closest analog I can think of is Charlie Bucket. After she does the Rejecting the Call hero's journey bit, she gets kidnapped, and right when all the kids in the audience think, "well I wouldn't wait around to be rescued," Rey goes, "oh right, I'm a space wizard now" and mind controls a guard to escape.

:staredog: Holy poo poo, you're right.

While this is entirely true, go watch any of the press interviews she's done and then tell me you aren't slightly frightened of her teeth.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

:staredog: Holy poo poo, you're right.

While this is entirely true, go watch any of the press interviews she's done and then tell me you aren't slightly frightened of her teeth.

She's a strong jawed Keira Knightley, who in turn is a smaller titted Natalie Portman. Making her a perfect casting choice for Padmes grand daughter

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

She is, and I also got some serious Daenerys vibes from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZfAJDYeOk

• Locked thread