Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pan Dulce posted:

So in hosed up news, MTV True Life is still a thing. Oh, and they had an episode titled "I Had My Cousin's Baby," with the summary in the voice-over being, "What happens if your one true love is also a member of your family?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

And to that I counter with this lovely couple:

Which, by the way. I finally got around getting to know while watching Jessica Jones. Holy poo poo, great show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I miss Irish Joe.

There, I said it.

e: The Jessica Jones siblings weren't doing incest

Rarity fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 31, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

I miss Irish Joe.

There, I said it.

e: The Jessica Jones siblings weren't doing incest

By the way, THANK YOU so much for recommending And Then There Were None. I loved the book growing up. I tore through the first two episodes last night and will watch the finale during lunch. The cast alone is fantastic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CobiWann posted:

By the way, THANK YOU so much for recommending And Then There Were None. I loved the book growing up. I tore through the first two episodes last night and will watch the finale during lunch. The cast alone is fantastic.

Yeah, I very nearly edited my top 10 to include it, it was that good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pan Dulce posted:

So in hosed up news, MTV True Life is still a thing. Oh, and they had an episode titled "I Had My Cousin's Baby," with the summary in the voice-over being, "What happens if your one true love is also a member of your family?"

FDR?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Sherlock special is supposed to air tomorrow night on PBS, right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

The 100 is bad for a good 50%-60% of the season, then it actually gets good once it drops the lovely stock CW trappings.
I say this as someone who also dropped it and only gave it another chance because of continued raving about it here in Couch Chat.

even with knowing that, considering the literal only reason i tried it in the first place was the people talking endlessly about it in this thread, the pilot was so bad, in so many different ways, i sincerely doubt i could ever take the show seriously

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Toxxupation posted:

even with knowing that, considering the literal only reason i tried it in the first place was the people talking endlessly about it in this thread, the pilot was so bad, in so many different ways, i sincerely doubt i could ever take the show seriously

That's why you are a dumbass.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

-Noted "Last Man Standing" enthusiast Toxxupation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah, sorry for not treating a bad battlestar galactica clone combined with a bad hunger games clone with the respect it deserves, how rude of me

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 31, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It is very rude since it is neither of those things once it gets going. But just ignore what everyone is saying it's cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i refuse to spend a season of television on the off-chance it turns good, especially in 2015 when there's literally dozens of great tv shows i'm not watching

also, that's 100% on teh show for being absurdly fuckin terrible from the start

poo poo's fuckin intolerable in this tv landscape

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Toxxupation posted:

i refuse to spend a season of television on the off-chance it turns good, especially in 2015 when there's literally dozens of great tv shows i'm not watching

It's 3 episodes. So 2 of stock teen bullshit, and then they start ruthlessly subverting that. And they ratchet up from there. And I'd argue you need those 2 first episodes of cliche teen bullshit to have any sort of foundation before you have small children having psychotic breaks and then killing themselves. You can't just lead with that, you need a baseline to fall from.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's 3 episodes. So 2 of stock teen bullshit, and then they start ruthlessly subverting that. And they ratchet up from there. And I'd argue you need those 2 first episodes of cliche teen bullshit to have any sort of foundation before you have small children having psychotic breaks and then killing themselves. You can't just lead with that, you need a baseline to fall from.

Regy Rusty posted:

To get through the first season you have to embrace hatewatching it and enjoying seeing idiot teens get murdered.

If you don't wanna do it that's fine, Season 2 is good but it's not that great.

yeah, i'm not watching a season of bad television

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

doctor who thread

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

It gets good like 4-5 eps in, nobody in the thread was hatewatching it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Toxxupation posted:

I mean you probably are the next time you lose a bet or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If he loses a bet, it won't be a great show like The 100. It will be Sister Wives or something.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

doctor who thread

that's a bad series, not a bad season

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Toxxupation is making the right decision and y'all need to stop pretending a CW drama is ever going to be actual drama good. Just because it gets grimdark and someone commits genocide or something doesn't make it good.

I know, I missed me too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

wait did you get banned from couch chat bown

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If someone doesn't want to give it a shot, I don't give a poo poo. It's not skin off my back.

But it's not good because it's "grimdark". It's good because the characters do start out as horribly naive and childish teenagers and then they have to start dealing with the consequences of poo poo really fast. I like it because the character actually develop as people from their annoying YA archetype selves. I like it a lot better than say, LOST, where I felt the characters never actually developed. They just "revealed" more poo poo to us about them.

Or course it's not for everyone. The BSG ripoff poo poo on the Ark is definitely the shittiest part of the show. Without a doubt. But it also isn't really the focus.

It also doesn't stop being a teen drama. The adult characters are some of the weakest. It stays a teen drama, but it's a good one. The writer know what they are doing, and the amount that little character details stay relevant later is pretty great. The shows ends up having better writing than plenty of other drama's I've watched, regardless of their target demographic.

But seriously, if Toxxupation doesn't want to watch it, well, who cares.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

GreenNight posted:

If he loses a bet, it won't be a great show like The 100. It will be Sister Wives or something.

Sister wives isn't as bad as last man standing, he will have to watch one of the horrible shows about mom and dad picking out the partner or Kate plus 8.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

Sister wives isn't as bad as last man standing, he will have to watch one of the horrible shows about mom and dad picking out the partner or Kate plus 8.

Is that dreck still running?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Expanse has been renewed for season 2. I've been enjoying the show so I'm glad it'll be back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this? posted:

The Sherlock special is supposed to air tomorrow night on PBS, right?

Yes. At least on OPB (Oregon's version) it's at 9PM.

PBS actually getting British shows within the year? Unheard of!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Yes. At least on OPB (Oregon's version) it's at 9PM.

PBS actually getting British shows within the year? Unheard of!

Did Wolf Hall or Call the Widwife come out around the same time?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody cares about WOlf Hall or Call the Midwife

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody cares about WOlf Hall or Call the Midwife

:colbert: They should. About at least one of them though. I never kept up with Call the Midwife, but Wolf Hall was amazing. I saw a couple of people rank it in their Best of 2015 thread. Same with Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. BBC knocks it out of the park creating these and PBS is smart to snatch them up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Sister Wives is an amazing show, in a :stonklol: way

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean that they didn't really do promos. PBS should have been yelling it's Brody from Homeland playing the king!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm watching Fargo for new years, god drat this is a good show why didn't I watch this sooner.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pierson posted:

I'm watching Fargo for new years, god drat this is a good show why didn't I watch this sooner.

Which season? Because while 1 is good 2 is on a whole other level.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Finished the first season of Prison Break tonight. It was pulpy, ridiculous fun, but I've never heard anyone discuss it among the pantheon of must-see "peak TV" favorites.

We're invested enough to stick it out, and apparently, like almost everything else, it's getting a new season this summer!

The first season was awesome, but then it kinda got ridiculous and stupid like Dexters later seasons

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

The first season was awesome, but then it kinda got ridiculous and stupid like Dexters later seasons

How dare you. While Prison Break got crazy, it was never not entertaining.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The second season of prison break is every bit as good as the first season. The third season is complete garbage, and the 4th season is like some kind of mission: impossible reboot. The "stand alone" two-part finale is literally the worst thing in the entire show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

Is that dreck still running?

My wife watches the married by mom and dad shows.

Wolf Hall is the second best costume drama of the year, it's only second because of it's weird light choices where they use candles for some shoots which makes it unwatchable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

I'm five episodes into season 1 and it's been fantastic so far. Struggling to find words to explain it except it feels like two cops with good intentions trapped in a town that is slowly but steadily spiraling into a total breakdown.

Also I let out an actual HOLY poo poo when Stavros found the money.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Actually the exact opposite

• Locked thread