Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I forgot to take a weapons skill and bought dual wielding. Came throigh okay though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The bannermans skills seem really good.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Im_Special posted:

Ah you are right, what I did was enchant my chest, legs and boots and they were all 10 armor/30 health, but after a closer inspection, rings and weapons are different with extra Stats/10%damage/Starlight damage etc etc.

I think my guy now achieved God status... So now that I'm a mini Cosmic God, what do I do to beat this game, what's left to do? I'm guessing there is a tower or sorts I'm overlooking.

The Dread Spire is your ultimate objective. If you haven't completed the Mountain Fortress its location will be blocked off in the Overworld.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Dungeonmans for OSX, make it happen!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My dwmans keep getting splatted and I can't tell if it's because dw sucks or I suck after the changes to bosses &c

I mean part of it was doing new academy/monoperk self challenge, but it's not just that, I played super conservatively, and still just struggled massively with stuff other builds would flat out waltz through.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So renowned explorers is pretty great. Not quite FTL great, but honestly pretty close (worse combat, better non-combat, in my opinion). The art style initially makes it look like its probably a poorly designed, throw away cheap game, but it isn't...

Anyhow, playing on adventure / classic I finally got a score above da gama (5500). Not sure how hard that is, as I haven't yet scoured the internet for the "pro builds" or whatever, but it was a fun run because I was playing with a semi-random group of characters to unlock them as potential captains and somehow they were amazing together. It was Kwame (captain), hildegard and pedrinho. In combat, they were tanky, with lots of heals and good speech damage output. Outside of combat, Kwame starting getting double entourage recruits when he was at 6 diplomacy, and between that and the full anthropology and history trees, he picked up a ton of renown (and supply) from friendly encounters. Pedrinho's 5 survival was excellent as well. Hildegard I used as a scientist, which actually worked fine albeit with 2 wasted points in diplomacy (but much stronger in combat than scientists I've used previously).

In shangri-la I had never found mount kailhash before so both finding and summitting it (pedrinho + tool as he didn't have any athlete) was fun.

After consistently having trouble in the final fight, it was interesting to see this party basically sleepwalk through it... I may have to swear off "glass cannon" characters in future games, or at least no more than one.

Also, I unlocked timbuktu instead of a beijing as my last unlock to see what Kwame's "african roots" did (in hindsight it works as advertised, but I wanted to check). That I'm sure cost me a few hundred reknown.

I think I'm going to try a gold build next, and then maybe a renown / secret build (using the psych tree). I'm not sure how to get the 7k or 10k renown run that I think are still possible...

One final comment is that I can't tell if hildegard's spirit regen ability is bugged. I think it is keeping regen from excited enemies that are defeated (but maybe still technically in the arena). I don't know if that is working as designed; I didn't really use it but it does allow her to get essentially 100% regen every round on maps with lot of enemies if you defeat most of them with excite abilities.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Welp, all I know is the family lineage of Again (the Second, the Third, and so on) all keep comng up with awesome Rangermans stats. In fact, they tend to be very similar.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Big Sean posted:

So renowned explorers is pretty great.

Hah, I was looking at videos of this and going 'man, that sure is a lot of fiddly little icons and numbers, why does this look familiar

... then I realized it was the same devs as Reus, also a game with a billion fiddly little icons and numbers :v:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

victrix posted:

My dwmans keep getting splatted and I can't tell if it's because dw sucks or I suck after the changes to bosses &c

I mean part of it was doing new academy/monoperk self challenge, but it's not just that, I played super conservatively, and still just struggled massively with stuff other builds would flat out waltz through.

Dungeon Dervish seems to be the most aggressive weapon mastery out of all of them with how Tempo works. It lacks any significant control abilities, though, outside of using the dash to reposition or leave a fight altogether.

Personally, I only use Dervish skills with Psychomansers because the dual-wield makes their damage high enough to one-shot bosses and the added mobility is super useful on top of Diamond Self and Medium Armour.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I dunno, dw is the only old mastery I have yet to successfully complete the game with (I'm not counting gentlemans, cuz I'll never play one to the endgame :v:)

Even when I wasn't doing stupid challenge runs I had way more trouble with it than other setups. It also has some really annoying ui quirks with Razor Fury and Dashing Charge, and Razor Fury is kinda balls anyway. 1h/dw gets no bonus abilities, 2h gets Press the Attack, S&S gets High Guard and Bulwark, DW gets 3 abilities only and Tempo, and RF is bleh.

You aren't going to use Tempo to spam RF because it's damage is crap, it's just a pre-every-fight-buff, that leaves Dash and Decimansers Dance (which is admittedly pretty rad, but not nearly as rad as a Grimdarkmans going full helldozer on a dungeon). Dash is also asking for positional trouble, since it often moves you into bad places, so you can't/don't want to use it a lot of the time, particularly if you're Stamina constrained. And Tempo's counter-attack on Parry is really poor compared to Block until you're geared to the gills.

Compare that to the S&S or 2h abilities which I use all the time. Admittedly S&S was pretty balls pre revamp too, but it's awesome now, 2h was always decent, but 2h with revamped Grimdark is just amazing, and competes with King of Battle for Most Rad Trashing Of All Endgame Enemies.

S&S is a little lower key, but stomping through the lategame letting everything bounce off your armored exterior while smacking them with counter-attacks is also great fun. Plus Shield Rush and Hammer & Anvil are just plain satisfying.

I suppose I should just play with other setups since I enjoy them more and do much better with them more consistently, but I want my full completion :saddowns:

I'll mess with it some more, perhaps I shouldn't try to make dw my Iron Will contender. Am I mans or womans enough to do it?! (again... but there weren't achievements back then, so it doesn't count until I do it now :colbert:)

Annnnd this is way too long and probably belongs in the Dungeonmans thread proper at this point, oops.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Likely promising Early Days project: Collateral Souls

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Collateral_Souls

Been quite a fair flurry of updates of late for something designed to be relatively bite sized in terms of time commitment---dev seems open to feedback and getting this thing in an ultimately good place at a good clip.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Frankosity posted:

Dungeon Dervish seems to be the most aggressive weapon mastery out of all of them with how Tempo works. It lacks any significant control abilities, though, outside of using the dash to reposition or leave a fight altogether.

Personally, I only use Dervish skills with Psychomansers because the dual-wield makes their damage high enough to one-shot bosses and the added mobility is super useful on top of Diamond Self and Medium Armour.

do the dual wield bonuses apply to fists? Cool, if so.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If you like Isaac, you should absolutely get flamebreak. It's a bit easy if you get a good build but half the fun is in the suboptimal but cool combos.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

andrew smash posted:

Yep, they count as one handed weapons for most things.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For awhile in dev, they could be disarmed, so you could leave fists lying around :haw:

Disarmed. Heh.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I've rebuilt my world map three different times in Dungeonmans and each time I end up the same spot. Once I make the initial three dungeons (seems to always be three or four, counting the Scrobold cave) trivial so I can't even enter them (level 3-4) I'll manage to hit level 5 via a couple roadblocks and random encounters, but then every area where there is a new dungeon/tower/graveyard/whatever is at a minimum, Dangerous and I get massively beat down. I can usually make it to the boss of one of those and the one time I made it past that stage was when I had a map where there were two areas in "Dangerous" difficulty, so I could clear to the last floor in one, then clear the other one and go back to the first. Is that normal or is something really wrong with my map generation?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

victrix posted:

I dunno, dw is the only old mastery I have yet to successfully complete the game with (I'm not counting gentlemans, cuz I'll never play one to the endgame :v:)
[...]

Oh yeah, I wouldn't put it at the level of Armsman or Sword & Board, personally, they both have a wider range of utility and some fantastic keystone talents. I was just making the observation that Tempo encourages a much more aggressive style of play than the others. Unfortunately this has the Southern Gentlemans problem, where if you're playing at optimal aggression you're going to just put yourself in a fatal position in record time. For me it's just my go-to on Psychomansers because of the crazy damage synergy.

That said, Decimanser's Dance is completely disgusting for being able to put a ~2-300/turn bleed on an enemy it doesn't kill.

andrew smash posted:

They extremely do.

victrix posted:

For awhile in dev, they could be disarmed, so you could leave fists lying around :haw:

Disarmed. Heh.

Oh, this still happens, in my experience. Luckily, I've always got more hands!

nessin posted:

So I've rebuilt my world map three different times in Dungeonmans and each time I end up the same spot. Once I make the initial three dungeons (seems to always be three or four, counting the Scrobold cave) trivial so I can't even enter them (level 3-4) I'll manage to hit level 5 via a couple roadblocks and random encounters, but then every area where there is a new dungeon/tower/graveyard/whatever is at a minimum, Dangerous and I get massively beat down. I can usually make it to the boss of one of those and the one time I made it past that stage was when I had a map where there were two areas in "Dangerous" difficulty, so I could clear to the last floor in one, then clear the other one and go back to the first. Is that normal or is something really wrong with my map generation?

That doesn't sound right, you should be finding Mundane areas all the way up to around L10, at which the global difficulty curve outstrips you. If you're literally not getting any areas below Dangerous and they're kicking your guts out try spawning new dungeons by speaking to an inkeeper.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah that's definitely not working right, you should still be finding Mundane dungeons (which will transition to Adventurous as you get deeper).

When you talk to innekeepers to generate new dungeons, they're (only?) generated in unexplored areas, so it's possible to game the generation a bit by exploring the areas you don't want dungeons to appear.

I did this in one game because I didn't feel prepared for the final area, so I left the far southeast unexplored, then spent a fortune at an innkeeper, which generated a ton of dark dungeons in the southeast. I plundered those for vast riches and finished that game.

(side effect: exploring the last unexplored areas resulted in hilarious density of dungeons, with piles of them everywhere :v:)

If the total world regen isn't working though, that sounds borked.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I didn't know you could generate new dungeons from Innkeepers. I generated several from all the towns in the area but none of them were in non-Dangerous areas (probably since I'd explored all of it) and then created a new map. Now I've got practically no mountains and tons of Trivial and Mundane dungeons all over the place.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That's what you want - go into the Mundane and go down, they'll become Adventurous/Dangerous as you get deeper.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

I really want to make Caravans of Qud in FTL/Convoy style. I need many more days per day. :negative:

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

If there is a kickstarter let us know please.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that would be amazing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There has to be an encounter where someone asks to buy a gun from you, and if you sell it to them, they immediately try to shoot you with it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So dungeonmans question. In the bannermans tree the two passives "Song of Tide Turned" and "Ballad of the Iron Tower" refer to the man-at-arms banner, which I can't find anywhere. The skill line directly below it refers to the first power by name, was this just a name change bit that got missed, or is there a separate man-at-arms banner?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's the second skill, the line that that's a part of. It just has a wrong name for some reason.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

IronicDongz posted:

It's the second skill, the line that that's a part of. It just has a wrong name for some reason.

There used to be six different banners with different names.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Woot, I'm #3 on today's daily hard challenge for Flamebreak :3:

clearly no one plays this game

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i probably never would have heard about it if not for the post in this thread

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal, more sproggiwood feedback:

A small bug: friendly slimes will break into unfriendly slimelets if killed, even if not by friendly fire.

A larger bug, that takes some explaining:
- Play as an archer. Get down to 1 stamina.
- Switch to "shoot arrow" and one-shot an enemy.
- Since you used up your last stamina point, your readied skill changes back to "stab" and the center of the control circle to "skip turn"
- But, since you still have stamina after the enemy dies, the targeting cursor stays up, making it look superficially like you're still in targeting mode
- Tapping the center of the control circle will then skip a turn and probably kill you.

Also, the GF and I are both in agreement that the merchant quarter is so overwhelmingly necessary as the first thing to upgrade that it should probably not exist and prices should be cut 50% across the board; otherwise it's just a long period of being unable to buy items without wasting large amounts of gold.

E: also it's a matter of ongoing debate which enemy is the worst to fight. I say black slimes.

Awesome! posted:

i probably never would have heard about it if not for the post in this thread

Yeah, likewise. Debating picking it up during the sale. I never played BoI but it sounds like a fun concept.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 1, 2016

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's only fifty percent off this sale but I'm having fun with Deathstate. It's clearly inspired by Isaac but doesn't seem to fall into a lot of the problems it does. Every level is basically a giant arena filled with enemies that you automatically fire at, so it's all about dodging and positioning.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

E: also it's a matter of ongoing debate which enemy is the worst to fight. I say black slimes.

Twinned lampreys :colbert:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, here's a :siren: major, game-ending, start-over-with-a-new-save-file bug: :siren:

The wizard's tower is available from the start in the decorations menu, but if you build it, then when you unlock the wizard's tower for real, it won't automatically place one and you won't unlock the wizard class. This was reported on Steam back in 2014, and I can't repro it on Linux, but apparently the bug still exists in the Android version.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
If you get a class unlock that won't work you can open up the console (mater volume + 10 times) and put in

"unlockclass Wizard" without the quotes. (Case sensitive)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

S.T.C.A. posted:

post some words about it, i played a couple of the intro levels of it based on somebody saying it's "like dota" and it didn't really grab me, but i have so many reputedly good games that i've never fired up in steam that my attention threshold is very low so I may well have missed the good stuff.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

S.T.C.A. posted:

12th :/

I died to the Phoenix. I have trouble with him still.

It is nothing like Dota, I don't understand that comparison. It's kind of like a fantasy world Binding of Isaac with arena style combat and discrete level selection mechanics rather than a dungeon that you move through. Everytime you play you've got a randomized loadout, and as you play you unlock more loadout options though the choices themselves stay random. There is a seeded dungeon challenge that is the same for everyone every day. (i know the theme of BoI turns some people off, this is a bit more generic in terms of how it plays out. huge cartoony fantasy sprites of elves and dwarves and ogres killing goblins and goblin-like monsters)

I honestly can't tell the difference between normal and hard mode though.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 1, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My first thought on seeing gameplay was "oh, MOBA combat" because of the perspective + cooldown based abilities with stuns and positioning stuff (one character had a hook for instance.) It's definitely an influence but comparing the two is probably about as useful as comparing dota and risk of rain.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DisDisDis posted:

My first thought on seeing gameplay was "oh, MOBA combat" because of the perspective + cooldown based abilities with stuns and positioning stuff (one character had a hook for instance.) It's definitely an influence but comparing the two is probably about as useful as comparing dota and risk of rain.

ToME is a turn based DotA clone.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Even if they weren't directly referencing dota with Dust I think it's a pretty clear influence but that doesn't mean you're literally playing dota or anything.
I spent most of my time in ToME inside the woods hitting ogres so who knows.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
yeah it was a throwaway comment in imp zone, i should have lent less credence to it. I'll give it a good go at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

It's only fifty percent off this sale but I'm having fun with Deathstate. It's clearly inspired by Isaac but doesn't seem to fall into a lot of the problems it does. Every level is basically a giant arena filled with enemies that you automatically fire at, so it's all about dodging and positioning.

I'd been thinking about writing some words about Deathstate and you have prompted me to do so. I've been enjoying it a lot more than Flamebreak.

It is, as mentioned, strongly Isaac-inspired; there are several characters available with different stats/special abilities/etc. You collect upgrades from chests/shopkeepers/beating up the elite enemy located in each level, and what you get is randomly selected from an extremely large list - there are relics that give you a second active ability, swords that modify your basic passive shots, books that add a second passive shot type, and then a bunch of alien organs that modify your stats.

Where it differs from Isaac: also as mentioned, firing is automatic; you don't have to worry about aiming at all. You'll just automatically shoot at the closest in-range thing until it's dead. Levels vary in size, but even the smallest are much more expansive than the single-room arenas of BoI. You've got a foodclock in place, and you will not have time to clear the larger levels before it passes - your goal is to make it to the exit in time while hitting up the level's elite and any other upgrade sources you can find on your way. You also have a dodge with a sub-second cooldown and very generous invincibility frames attached to it. Finally, of course, there's the aesthetic; I don't really mind BoI's, but if it was a turnoff for you this offers cartoon Cthulhu and Hotline Miami-esque video distortion instead.

You would probably think that auto-aim and incredibly generous i-frames make for an extremely easy game, and you'd be right. Sort of. To some extent. At its default setting, the game has a strong inverse-u difficulty curve. You go through four different areas, each containing three levels and then a boss encounter - the last is fixed, but the first three are pulled at random from a small pool (although each possibility has a limit to the tiers it can show up for). The first level is completely braindead, the final area is pretty easy, and the final boss is a joke, but a couple of the intermediate areas get extremely nasty. The game is not shy about flooding your screen with bullets and loving with your view.

If you decide there really aren't enough bullets, one of the first things you will unlock is the ability to desecrate altars when you come across them in game. One always shows up in the first level, and if you go for it there will then be one in the first level of the second area, and so on. When you desecrate one it instantly summons a boss and turns up the difficulty for the rest of your run, stacking up to four times. There's probably also a bonus area and a boss or two that only show up with something desecrated, but I'm not good enough at the game to have seen those yet. If that still isn't enough bullets for you there's an Insanity mode the developers are on record as not being sure is actually winnable.

tl;dr: be a laser-shooting eyeball and then stuff a bunch of looted alien organs into yourself because who doesn't want four eyes and seven stomachs