Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching Millennium recently and it's been pretty good so far. Obviously it has this Chris Carter overarching myth arc (I have to be honest, I'm not all that fussed on it for all that people rave about it - the whole apocalyptic thing) but it actually reminds me a lot of Criminal Minds, with the freaky serial killer of the week procedural dimension. If it had come out 10 years later I imagine it could have been a major hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
New Girl is coming back in five days, I'm really excited!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys should watch Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It's better than it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtDkfHlzgs

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I completely forgot Sundance was doing a Hap and Leonard adaptation, but apparently it's set for a March premiere? They posted the first teaser a couple weeks ago, and for just 20 seconds worth of teaser, it looks pretty fun.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I have spent the better part of the day on the write-ups for that list, lol.

Mu Zeta posted:

You guys should watch Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It's better than it sounds.

aaaaagh, I've been waiting for an adaptation of the novel forever, I forgot it actually happened. I need to get on that poo poo, daaaaamn.

Speaking of TV shows involving magic, has The Magicians premiered yet?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first episode aired a couple of weeks ago but the show proper doesn't start until the 25th. I liked it but the first episode mad compressed the story. It went from Quentin starting school all the way to the first appearance of the Beast. Also they've folded the Julia stuff in so it is actually happening at the same time instead of doing it in flashback.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been watching Millennium recently and it's been pretty good so far. Obviously it has this Chris Carter overarching myth arc (I have to be honest, I'm not all that fussed on it for all that people rave about it - the whole apocalyptic thing) but it actually reminds me a lot of Criminal Minds, with the freaky serial killer of the week procedural dimension. If it had come out 10 years later I imagine it could have been a major hit.

Rented the first season from Netflix and was struck by how Se7en-esque it was. I guess all the supernatural poo poo I remember was from the other two seasons? Also Millennium premiered incredibly strong, but lost viewers over the course of the season.

I got Band Of Brothers on Bluray for XMas. It looks much better than the Amazon Prime and HBO Now streams.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The first episode aired a couple of weeks ago but the show proper doesn't start until the 25th. I liked it but the first episode mad compressed the story. It went from Quentin starting school all the way to the first appearance of the Beast. Also they've folded the Julia stuff in so it is actually happening at the same time instead of doing it in flashback.

oooh, none of that sounds bad to me. folding the Julia storyline from the second book into the story is probably a really good call.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I finished Fargo and now it's 4am. Really wish I hadn't missed this when it was on UK TV because now I gotta pay money for season two. :mad:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pierson posted:

I finished Fargo and now it's 4am. Really wish I hadn't missed this when it was on UK TV because now I gotta pay money for season two. :mad:

just be aware that, while good, it's inferior to season one

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I disagree. Season 2 was much better.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

I completely forgot this aired this year, that's how kind of nothing it was.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

just be aware that, while good, it's inferior to season one

It's been voted #1 on the combined critics top ten lists both seasons, and this year is is absolutely slaughtering the competition.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/critics-pick-the-top-10-best-tv-shows-of-2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

It's been voted #1 on the combined critics top ten lists both seasons, and this year is is absolutely slaughtering the competition.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/critics-pick-the-top-10-best-tv-shows-of-2015

...ok?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The original Fargo lost the Best Picture academy award to The English Patient, which is a pretty good illustration of how any award or consensus among critics is meaningless garbage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That doesn't even directly disprove my point, taking what metacritic says as gospel it's still possible for season 2 to be both the best show of the season and inferior to season one

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean to be clear I WOULDNT place it as number one

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean to be clear I WOULDNT place it as number one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Please never stop posting.

While it can be argued that season 1 of Fargo is the better of the two, almost nobody - critically or on here - would argue that. So it is entirely possible, one might even say probable, that any given person who likes season 1 will prefer season 2. That's just math!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Triple posting when you just got let back into the thread? Are you looking to kicked out so soon again?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked The English Patient. But I saw it when I was way younger and probably thought it was good because it seemed like a "grownup" movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked season 1 better. It was funnier too. 2 has too many characters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Wil Weaton looks ridiculous in Dark Matter. I didn't even recognize him at first.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I've only gotten through three episodes of Fargo S2, right now. It's great, but I think I enjoyed the actors in season 1 more. Everyone was really quirky.

The inept FBI agents, the sociopathic "devil". the deaf assassin and his easily angered partner, Solverson, and her husband. Bilbo sorta played the straight man, which made everything that happened around him much goofier, in my opinion. I really liked that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Welcome back, Ravane. I hope you have improved your posting skills during your time in the wilderness.

raditts fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 1, 2016

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It will be weird for me because I watched season 2 first, to go back and watch season 1 of Fargo.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That's just watching it chronologically

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Snak posted:

I really liked The English Patient. But I saw it when I was way younger and probably thought it was good because it seemed like a "grownup" movie.

It's really not a film that has held up well. Most of the characters were unlikable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just be aware that the second season of Fargo is either better or worse than the first season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

James Woods Fan posted:

Rented the first season from Netflix and was struck by how Se7en-esque it was. I guess all the supernatural poo poo I remember was from the other two seasons? Also Millennium premiered incredibly strong, but lost viewers over the course of the season.

Yeah, the whole apocalyptic story arc is mainly season two - I think Glen Morgan and James Wong were in charge of the show for that season.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A year ago I was looking forward to season 2 of both Fargo and True Detective equally.

Now I'm looking forward to season 3 of both Fargo and True Detective, but for completely opposite reasons.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hello factsareuseless

how's tricks player

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, is there seriously gonna be a season 3 of True Detective after that piece of poo poo failure last season? I went in optimistic. The cast didn't phase me or dissuade me. But the script was loving garbage.

Edit: fixed an accidental meme.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 1, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HBO signed like a five-year right of first refusal exclusivity deal with pizzolatto, of course there's gonna be a TD season 3

also please don't describe something as "fail"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

hello factsareuseless

how's tricks player
Good, I finally saw Amy Schumer's show and it is good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TD Season 2 epic fail

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

HBO signed like a five-year right of first refusal exclusivity deal with pizzolatto, of course there's gonna be a TD season 3

also please don't describe something as "fail"
That was a typo. Meant to say "failure".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

TD Season 2 epic fail
10 Epic Fails From True Detective You Won't Believe... Even When You Uncover The Truth!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

6 Reasons True Detective is Secretly the Best Show of 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Five Adorable Cat Gifs That Perfectly Sum Up Our Reaction To True Detective Season 2

• Locked thread