Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah its CS's BP equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Has anyone found out if you need to perfect all the AP opportunities to get everything, or is there some wiggle room?

I missed a point a couple hours ago and I'm not going back to get it, but it's nice to know if I can still get everything

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

There's apparently 10 points of wiggle room for getting max rank in Cold Steel.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
:allears: Towa is the greatest.

Levantine posted:

What does AP give you in this game? Is it exactly like Bracer Rank? I tend not to NG+ too many games so I like to get it right first try if it's worthwhile, otherwise I'll ignore it.

Pretty much. The only real difference is that it's only counted up at the end of a day rather than the moment you get it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Supremezero posted:

:allears: Towa is the greatest.

Pretty much. The only real difference is that it's only counted up at the end of a day rather than the moment you get it.

BP isn't counted until you report, so it can functionally be the same thing, unless you run to the Bracer Guild after literally every single quest.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The guide I linked earlier says how to get all the AP if you wanna do that your first run.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

The guide I linked earlier says how to get all the AP if you wanna do that your first run.

The IGN one? I was going to ask if that was accurate, thanks! The holidays have made it really hard to start playing but I want to dig in this weekend. Knowing Cold Steel 2 is around the corner is even better.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
So it turns out 99999 is the damage cap. Sadly not enough to oneshot later bosses on Nightmare

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Levantine posted:

The IGN one? I was going to ask if that was accurate, thanks! The holidays have made it really hard to start playing but I want to dig in this weekend. Knowing Cold Steel 2 is around the corner is even better.

Here's another complete walkthrough, for those who don't like the IGN one. Looks accurate so far.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

drat this one is way better structured.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Geez, glancing through the first chapters, I've missed a ton. And that's with making every effort to talk to everyone.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I missed a recipe in chapter 5 :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think this game is actually going to let me be gay with crow, but im going to try my damned hardest anyway

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think this game is actually going to let me be gay with crow, but im going to try my damned hardest anyway

I'm sorry, the game maxed out it's possible gay-ness with Machias and Jusis, the Lit Club president, Legram, and Angelica simply existing.

In fact, Angelica broke it, but it worked out somehow anyway.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I should probably be mad about the line "I'd like to press my delicates on that ironing board" but I just can't

it's so horrible that it wraps around to being good again

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 1, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that was the longest first episode to a mecha anime that i've ever watched

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Chapter 6

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo Olivier reverse engineered the Arseille and painted it red. :allears:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i love this big impossible to translate series, and the people who make it, who right now are probably chained to their desks until they write a full sized novel of dialogue for a npc who owns a store in a place you go to once

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
As an aside, Gaius is good. I like Gaius, he gets to be the chill member of the party while everyone else is having problems.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Logicblade posted:

As an aside, Gaius is good. I like Gaius, he gets to be the chill member of the party while everyone else is having problems.

Hell yeah, everyone else is like "MY MOMMY/DADDY HATES ME/IS DEAD" or "I HATE NOBLES".

Gaius has a full happy family from a peaceful place and gives no fucks.

How did he even get in this class, other than him the main consistency seems to be angst.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cake Attack posted:

that was the longest first episode to a mecha anime that i've ever watched

Wait holy poo poo I didn't realize that this was the one with the mecha! I guess they must come in REALLY late then, I'm up to chapter 4 and no sign of any of that poo poo. They probably only show up for like a single fight at the end or something and are more of a Cold Steel 2 thing, huh?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also god bless which ever person runs the falcom music channel on youtube, which somehow has not been taken down yet

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7eke4JGlbtc11_6mmA7ew/playlists

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wait holy poo poo I didn't realize that this was the one with the mecha! I guess they must come in REALLY late then, I'm up to chapter 4 and no sign of any of that poo poo. They probably only show up for like a single fight at the end or something and are more of a Cold Steel 2 thing, huh?

yeah, you're basically right on the money

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

also god bless which ever person runs the falcom music channel on youtube, which somehow has not been taken down yet

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7eke4JGlbtc11_6mmA7ew/playlists

I think Falcom are cool with people using their music so long as credit is given and no profits are made.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If Towa and Crow and Angelica don't become party members I will be very cross at all the social link time I am spending on them :colbert:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If Towa and Crow and Angelica don't become party members I will be very cross at all the social link time I am spending on them :colbert:

They do.

In Cold Steel 2.

you still wanna do those links anyway if you are gunning for the notebook trophy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

They do.

In Cold Steel 2.

well crow is a full-fledged party member in I and angelica is a guest in I

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Towa is great and you shouldn't feel bad for spending time with her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I gotta ask. Without spoilers. Does ToCS end TITS-style with an ending + a cliffhanger or just a cliffhanger?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

The latter, mostly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So I gotta ask. Without spoilers. Does ToCS end TITS-style with an ending + a cliffhanger or just a cliffhanger?

it tends much more towards the latter

it makes sense for it to end where it does sorta since it's very much an "end of act 1" type of cliffhanger, but without the act 2 following straight away it feels like it lacks an overall narrative arc and comes across as kinda disjointed for it.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 1, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So don't buy cold steel till the second one is out, just like I did with tits, got it

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Man, either I'm just too low level or this floor 5 boss is stupid as all hell, because I can't seem to beat it. Its AOE damage coupled with its speed and overall health makes it absurdly hard to outlast, combined with its absurd defense levels making it hard to kill physically.

This is a massive step up from Chap 4 field study's boss, or maybe I just relied on Elliot's hilariously good healing too much then.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

voltcatfish posted:

So don't buy cold steel till the second one is out, just like I did with tits, got it

except the second one ends the same way, cause it's a trilogy.

Cyouni posted:

Man, either I'm just too low level or this floor 5 boss is stupid as all hell, because I can't seem to beat it. Its AOE damage coupled with its speed and overall health makes it absurdly hard to outlast, combined with its absurd defense levels making it hard to kill physically.

This is a massive step up from Chap 4 field study's boss, or maybe I just relied on Elliot's hilariously good healing too much then.

This is the only boss I've had to use retry offset on, because I didn't know what the gently caress either.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, Cold Steel 2 ends on a cliffhanger too? The Japanese fans must have been pissed, since CS3 was only just announced.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, Cold Steel 2 ends on a cliffhanger too? The Japanese fans must have been pissed, since CS3 was only just announced.

it doesn't, im pretty sure

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

it doesn't, im pretty sure

reading people's reactions to CSIII's announcement (on english sites, mind you), the vibe's more "oh, I wonder what this will be about", rather than "finally", so I doubt II has a major cliffhanger with regards to its own plot. Might be a 3rd deal where it's a single-installment story that wraps up dangling threads from I&II (as well as Zero/Azure, probably), while setting up the next Trails chapter that'll probably take place in Calvard.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 1, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

except the second one ends the same way, cause it's a trilogy.

This is the only boss I've had to use retry offset on, because I didn't know what the gently caress either.

My solution ended up being Rean/Elliot/Emma/Jusis. Rean tossed speed buffs and then spent his time trying to S-Craft over and over, Elliot spammed Holy Song with Gladiator Belt, Emma dropped Cross Crusade/Crescent Shell/Holy Breath as Elliot backup, and Jusis used Noble Command to keep attack up before Dark Matter/Breath as Emma backup.

It took some luck, but it worked. Still ridiculous as hell.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Motto posted:

reading people's reactions to CSIII's announcement (on english sites, mind you), the vibe's more "oh, I wonder what this will be about", rather than "finally", so I doubt II has a major cliffhanger with regards to its own plot. Might be a 3rd deal where it's a single-installment story that wraps up dangling threads from I&II (as well as Zero/Azure, probably), while setting up the next Trails chapter that'll probably take place in Calvard.

No, it's an actual direct sequel. Something doesn't have to end on a cliffhanger in order for it to have a proper sequel.

And we know that the next chapter's in Calvard, by the way.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm starting Cold Steel today - how hard is Hard? I've heard people say play on Hard but will it gently caress me in spots?