Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kingtheninja posted:

I really enjoyed SDF, even though some of the animation was really horrible (I read they had different studios throughout production). I'm torn between preferring DYRL or the show, DYRL has the animation but I think I like the plot in the show more.
I think that's how it shakes down for most people; the base story in the show is really good and the animation is acceptable most of the time (compared to say the original Gundam TV series) but the spectacle and look of DYRL is super cool as a companion/complementary piece. I like them both about equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That reminds me, is it ever explained if Gloval and the other bridge crew survive at the end of Macross? I know they die in Robotech, but in Macross nothing is said one way or the other. It's also weird the Misa is just there on the street what seems like minutes after the ship crashes into the Macross.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that if a relatively major character like Global was supposed to be dead in that scene they would have shown it. Post show though of course all bets are off, as a lot of characters' fates are permanently :iiam:.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know that anything is ever stated about Global and the bridge crew, but Hikaru, Misa and Minmei are all stated to have been lost when the Megaroad they were on disappeared on it's journey towards the center of the galaxy. Which is basically Kawamori's way of going "their stories are over and I don't want to write about them again". The fact that Hikaru's VA committed suicide several years later and Minmei's appears to want to distance herself from Macross because the fans were so crazy and it was the sole thing defining her for a long time in many eyes probably doesn't help.

Still, the net effect to me at least is that it creates a massive mystery about what happened to them and I would dearly love to see a future Macross series set about the Megaroad 01 (I think that was the ship they were on) or another ship that finds it. I don't care if Hikaru, Misa and Minmei even appear beyond cameos, and at this stage, they'd be too old to do anything of worth anyways, since Macross basically always moves forward in it's timeline and we're 60 years on or something at this point with Delta, but I just want to know what they ran in to and to see some exploration of it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I didn't know that about Hikaru's va, that sucks.

I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand I'm totally fine with whatever triumphs and tragedies just being things I can wonder about and never have anything spelled out. On the other, I think I'd like if some mysterious hotblooded pilot showed up and when she's eventually revealed to be Hikaru and Misa's (great?) grandchild and holy poo poo you guys, you won't believe what they found out there...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Minmay's "cameo" in Frontier was neat, at least.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
He was ordered to wear a sweater whose details were kept from him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He runs around shirtless so often that even a slightly odd looking top designed for manservice probably doesn't bother him and he's presumably just happy for what warmth it does lend him, not concerned about it's fashion sense.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Wanting to reference that line aside, I think it actually looks fine. Also, given what Gotho considers befitting a successful war-profiteer businessman, it's positively understated.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yep, ever since Old Gotho yanked Chirico and Fyana's frozen bodies back into the ship, he's been displayin 'em like icy mannequins. It's strange, perhaps. And say what you will, but I tell you what, but Chirico can pull off just about any style.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I should really get back to finishing that show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It goes to a kind of weird place in the last quarter

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I should really get back to finishing that show.

It's very good. The OVAs not so much, except Mellowlink

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What show are you referring to, for those of us who don't know every anime character on sight?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

What show are you referring to, for those of us who don't know every anime character on sight?

Armored Trooper VOTOMS

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Droyer posted:

It's very good. The OVAs not so much, except Mellowlink

Eh, they're hit-and-miss. Pailsen Files is probably my #1 favorite piece of animated work right now, and the other ones that take place before the show are pretty good, but I haven't really been able to get into most of the post-show ones.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Son Ryo posted:

Eh, they're hit-and-miss. Pailsen Files is probably my #1 favorite piece of animated work right now, and the other ones that take place before the show are pretty good, but I haven't really been able to get into most of the post-show ones.

Pailsen Files is indeed good, though it does mess up the continuity in a couple of ways. Not the end of the world, but you need to take a few things at face value.

The problem with the post-show OVA entries is they haven't found a better place to end the story after restarting it, so they're half nostalgic and half "WTF are you doing here?" in my opinion. The other spin-offs, like Finder and Case Irvine, aren't all that great but at least they represented an attempt to move away from just messing around with Chirico's story one more time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The closer to Space Wolverine Jesus that Chirico is presented, the worse the production is

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here is an interview with Yasuhiro Imagawa about the making of G Gundam that was included on the G Gundam DVDs, the /m/ poster that was ripping them said they'd post the rest but never did so I decided to upload what I have. There's a lot of good information here about G Gundam as well as Imagawa himself.

http://imgur.com/a/Sl7sj

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is an interview with Yasuhiro Imagawa about the making of G Gundam that was included on the G Gundam DVDs, the /m/ poster that was ripping them said they'd post the rest but never did so I decided to upload what I have. There's a lot of good information here about G Gundam as well as Imagawa himself.

http://imgur.com/a/Sl7sj

man it's really cool to read how they put all that kind of effort into the settings...i think i'm gonna go watch g gundam now

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hitchcock's Saboteur is the absolute last thing I would have expected to be an influence on G Gundam.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Macross Delta is going to be insane.

Watch four (unsubbed) minutes of it right now!

Singing, transforming mecha, transforming girls, fighting, dancing, and :psyduck:ing.
http://frolic-chronis.tumblr.com/post/136354980946/from-macross-%CE%B4-episode-01-i-love-how-the-zentradi

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

a kitten posted:

Singing, transforming mecha, transforming girls, fighting, dancing, and :psyduck:ing.
http://frolic-chronis.tumblr.com/post/136354980946/from-macross-%CE%B4-episode-01-i-love-how-the-zentradi

Man. Macross just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Holy poo poo, I was disappointed when I found out that the idols weren't going to be variable fighter pilots. I retract that disappoint in favor of hype, because instead they are straight up magical girls in the Nanoha/Symphogear technology vain. And it is loving amazing to watch. I cannot wait for this series to start. The song at the end of the first episode is pretty fantastic too. I know it's going to be banging around in my head for a while. I already want a Platinum game where you play as one of the idols, because they'd fit right in to an action series as is. The drone tech in Delta is pretty insane.

The Draken's design (the enemy plane) is pretty sweet too. I love the swiveling wing engines and the undermounted cannon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2016

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

a kitten posted:

Did I just see an idol literally brainwash someone to be her fan?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The CG for the mecha got worse, or is it just me?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I thought I read somewhere the idols were the pilots in delta? If not do we know who is a pilot?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Kingtheninja posted:

I thought I read somewhere the idols were the pilots in delta? If not do we know who is a pilot?

Nah, that was just speculation. We have the bishie squad/those knight guys, then we have another squad who pilot the VFs in the preview image with the idols led by Max Jenius's daughter/granddaughter that the MC will join.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love the one who throws up the west side hand sign.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

a kitten posted:

Apparently Kawamori did several more lines of cocaine than he normally does before working on shows. :stare:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

AradoBalanga posted:

Apparently Kawamori did several more lines of cocaine than he normally does before working on shows. :stare:

Somebody hasn't seen AKB0048.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ActionZero posted:

Did I just see an idol literally brainwash someone to be her fan?

Looked to me more like he was infected with something and idol singing cures it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Welp, that seals it. If I wanted to watch a Macross series, where should I start?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CommissarMega posted:

Welp, that seals it. If I wanted to watch a Macross series, where should I start?

Good: original Macross (if you don't mind 80's animation), Macross Plus, Macross Frontier (best watched in that order)

Some people like it but it's at least 20 episodes too long: Macross 7

Bad: Macross 2, Macross Zero

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand Macross Plus is the best in the series, doesn't require having watched any of the others and fairly short, so just watch that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It must suck to be assigned to a regular ol Destroid unit in Macross, those guys seem to exist solely to get exploded.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope some of the CGI stuff isn't final but otherwise I was pretty happy with it, and also have no idea what's going on.