Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

i literally stopped watching the show after "you let me be...inside you" because i realized i literally lost all possible respect for the show due to the extraordinary badness of both that line and the judgement of everyone involved in how poorly they handled what should've been a mid-season climax

i'm pretty content, honestly, to never ever return to it, goodness of david tennant aside

you stink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
We still love you, despite your ... horrible opinions :glomp:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i mean that was a line six episodes in the making. "you let me be...inside you". nobody thought that line deserved a second pass, it's doctor who levels of sheer ineptitude

also i had to watch other shows for my dumb top ten list thing and i already knew beforehand i wasnt gonna have jj on my top ten list, so it was a confluence of both that and the need to watch halt and catch fire/mr. robot/the knick/the leftovers/manhattan/etc

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Is this worth watching?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this worth watching?

yes

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

i literally stopped watching the show after "you let me be...inside you" because i realized i literally lost all possible respect for the show due to the extraordinary badness of both that line and the judgement of everyone involved in how poorly they handled what should've been a mid-season climax
You made the right decision

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not a bad show but nobody should ever criticise another for deciding not to watch it. And that line IS dogshit.

Can't wait for s9 in reviews to eventually kick off so I can talk about how fuckin lame and terrible and a step backwards the opening story is (I've only seen this and the penultimate episode and I feel the same about the latter as everyone else don't worry)

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Okay, time for y'all to buy this poo poo on Amazon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i guess i'll use this thread for a bit of last-minute advertising; if you want i'm running the TVIV top ten poll and I think it would be cool + neat if you guys made submissions

Jerusalem, especially, i'd like to see a top ten list from

anyways here's the thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, now I gotta remember when I watched stuff!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Well, since the Dynamic Duo there are getting ready for another batch of reviews, it's time to start revving up the other dark machineries again.

Are you a person? Do you like to win completely meaningless prizes?* Can you type the letters A-D and F over and over again? Then you, too, are eligible to participate in a contest statistically little different than a random lottery! Yes! That's right! The Season Nine Guessing Game begins now! Or at least now-ish!

Here are the rules, in no particular order:

• The episode list for the purposes of this contest starts with the first episode of Season Nine ("The Magician's Apprentice") and ends with the most recent Christmas special.
  • Send all your guesses via e-mail to my SA username @gmail.com or via PM on SA itself or via any other means of contact you happen to have for me. The best format is your SA username on the first line and one vote per line thereafter, but I'm not too picky. The subject of every mail or PM should include the phrase "Season Nine Guessing Game" so I can keep track of them.
  • One vote per person per episode. You cannot change your votes for any episode once you've sent them to me.
  • Each vote has to be a letter grade, A-D or F, no half-step grades or other cutesy stuff.
  • You get one point for every step by which your grade differs from the one Toxx (or whatever the gently caress we should call him as a short form of his name now) assigns in either direction. So if he says C and you said B, you get one point, and if he said A and you said F, you get four.
  • Whoever gets the lowest point value at the end of the season wins a prize of some kind, which I will eventually remember to give them!
  • :ducksiren: You can vote on each episode at any point before the review comes out :ducksiren:, which means you can watch along with the reviews (or at least a little bit in advance). In other words, you don't have to send me the full list right away, as long as you vote for the episode at some point before it gets reviewed.
  • If you don't get a vote in on any episode, you will automatically get four points for that episode even if that would otherwise be impossible. Obviously, Toxx is under no obligation to inform anyone in advance when he's doing reviews, so it's to your advantage to get your votes in as early as you feel able. This also means that you can enter the contest late, you will just get four points for any episodes already reviewed.

* Lipset and Rock On! I still owe you from last time. Would you like a potentially-appropriate Amazon Instant show, a potentially-appropriate Steam game, or the MYSTERY PRIZE (which is probably substantially less mysterious this time around)?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Glad the guessing game is back! It's an important and educative part of this thread. :allears:

Occ, are you going to watch The Doctor's Meditation? It's a pretty good introduction to series 9.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I decided to test something

It's going about as well as can be expected

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

What is this and how badly is my in game doppleganger fairing at it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
IRL I both love dogs and am OP as gently caress, so you made an excellent choice

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Also DoctorWhat should have been an Abomination

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

What is this and how badly is my in game doppleganger fairing at it

darkest dungeon, you're a dece backup doctorwhat

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

like when doctorwhat's off drinking I'm all "okay burkion you're up, throw me some heals mofo"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i'm glad that, even after putting down monhun for the foreseeable future, i can still assist you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

like when doctorwhat's off drinking I'm all "okay burkion you're up, throw me some heals mofo"

May my heals be ever more long winded and hateful than What's then.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hey, guys! We've had a few entries for the contest, but not a lot; just reminding you that if you want to participate, you should probably get an entry in soon.

It might also be worth noting, in case it wasn't obvious, that I'm not just guessing about new reviews coming up. A little bird told me it might be happening in the near future, and by "a little bird" I mean my computer, and by "my computer" I mean the OP of this thread communicating with me via the Internet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll be watching season 9 along with the thread again so I won't bother guessing since they'd be totally random rather than based on my own excellent opinions.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Based on how previous guessing games went you'd be in with a good chance

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'll be watching season 9 along with the thread again so I won't bother guessing since they'd be totally random rather than based on my own excellent opinions.

Up to you, but if you can manage to watch even a bit ahead of the thread you can send me one guess at a time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I hope that I'm not causing you distress or death.... or if that is what I am supposed to do, I hope I am!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I don't guess at these things 'cause who knows? Maybe he'll be in a bad mood during a good ep or a good mood during a bad one, or maybe the same thing happened to me...

I'm more interested in the reviews and seeing if we got the same or different things out of the eps. Bring 'em on!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

After extensive testing of the review thread in video game 'Darkest Dungeon', i have determined some truths:

• Oxxidation, mind the walrus, doctorwhat, and i are the best members of the group level-wise and most easily able to tackle the hardest content
  • Oxxidation used to be a Highwayman, but then he died and came back as a Leper where he's arguably the best unit i currently have, albeit with some griping (in the guts). jerusalem, in his place, is an excellent Highwayman
  • Bown wouldn't stop fuckin dying, first as a Jester, then as a Crusader, then as a Hellion. Even after death he's finally settled into being the best Hellion i currently have
  • Regy Rusty is the only/only good Grave Robber i currently have
  • Soothing Vapors was right where he, being a Houndmaster, is OP as gently caress, but somehow he ended up dying to a misplay of mine when i stayed in a dungeon too long after a quest completion. still an OP as gently caress Houndmaster tho
  • 2house2fly has syphilis

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Jesus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I dunno what this game is or how it works but I'm proud

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I dunno what this game is or how it works but I'm proud

I believe it's a Lovecraftian roguelike?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh being a Highwayman isn't particularly tough, you just shout,"Stand and deliver!" and they assume if they don't you're going to kill them so they give you their stuff. If they just ignored me and went on their way I'd be pretty much impotent to do anything about it :ssh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
You monster.

Finish the job.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh being a Highwayman isn't particularly tough, you just shout,"Stand and deliver!" and they assume if they don't you're going to kill them so they give you their stuff. If they just ignored me and went on their way I'd be pretty much impotent to do anything about it :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

After extensive testing of the review thread in video game 'Darkest Dungeon', i have determined some truths:

• Oxxidation, mind the walrus, doctorwhat, and i are the best members of the group level-wise and most easily able to tackle the hardest content

There is absolutely no loving reason for me to be proud of this and yet I am

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I am glad I am dead, and I envy dogman Vapors his respite

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i guess i was too subtle, but here is the new thread, please go there, the only reason im keeping this thread open is because i need to copy/paste the reviews for a blog i'm making

ed: wait i can just lock/unlock this at will, deuces everyone please go to the new thread, bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Need to keep this from falling into archives, nothin to see here

• Locked thread