Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

AP posted:

December almost as good as November. No current sale that I know of, though they might have subscriber stuff up or something, they took over 134k yesterday, so will be interesting to see how fast that high daily rate decays in January.

Does that make 2015 their best year in terms of funding? That's loving nuts

e: clearly the whales still have some fat in them

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

December almost as good as November. No current sale that I know of, though they might have subscriber stuff up or something, they took over 134k yesterday, so will be interesting to see how fast that high daily rate decays in January.

December had the holiday sale, and Sandi has been pushing the boogeyman of them splitting packages into two products next year because clearly they've made enough progress to justify that.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

AFAIK subscriber money is not accounted in that fund page.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Probably my initial reaction is that the core experience of combat is rather simplistic. It seems like melee combat is essentially "run up and punch dude" with the occasional Ray Lewis dance that seems to produce fire everywhere. Are there any plans to make combat dynamic and skill based, something that is sufficiently fun and engaging that the gameplay could stand alone without the MMO trappings? Or is that just a really preliminary build and dynamic combat is something you have planned?

Preliminary build, the combat engine in this exists as 'is enemy there? then hit' the full system's in a different project. Trying to do it so people can work on various features without blocking each other. This is the player facing stuff, the server based stuff is much less visible, and thus not shown off.

Bootcha: The yellow dots are 'enemies relevant to your current mission'.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 1, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

kikkelivelho posted:

Does that make 2015 their best year in terms of funding? That's loving nuts

e: clearly the whales still have some fat in them

I think we continually overestimate the intelligence of shitizens. They'll be clamouring for new ships when Chris and Sandi are sipping cocktails in the Caymans, CIG a distant memory

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Berious posted:

I think we continually overestimate the intelligence of shitizens. They'll be clamouring for new ships when Chris and Sandi are sipping cocktails in the Caymans, CIG a distant memory

I think we should do a 180 and encourage all the backers to spend more, spend spend spend go crazy.

They might be suspicious and not spend, which would be good (for them) or they might think we've changed our tune and go crazy and spend themselves into a black hole which is good (for us)

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I think we should do a 180 and encourage all the backers to spend more, spend spend spend go crazy.

They might be suspicious and not spend, which would be good (for them) or they might think we've changed our tune and go crazy and spend themselves into a black hole which is good (for us)

I agree here, I think we should really see how far this rabbit hole goes.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Anyone still have the Starcitizen Starfleet Dental promotional posters around?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi has been pushing the boogeyman of them splitting packages into two products next year because clearly they've made enough progress to justify that.

Makes sense to separate the MMO from the movie

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Was there any particularly entertaining outbursts/events in december?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Thought experiment: which would be worse?

1) SQ42 releases (:mmmhmm:) and it does poorly. Metacritic reviews sit between 4 and 6 for the professional critics (and the usual 0 or 10 from people). Online review sites start furiously retconning their earlier pole-polishings of the IP with retrospectives like "What Went Wrong With Star Citizen", flying in the face of years of red flags and accumulated evidence that they should have known the answer to that question for a drat long time. Sandi goes full Baghdad Bob and starts bombarding the web with propaganda, and they double-down on the MMO portion (SQ42 was just an appetizer!) Backers polarize even more violently - some contritely end up here, others accelerate their downward spiral.

2) SQ42 releases and it is average. Metacritic reviews hover around 7 and 8. There is nothing particularly wrong with it, but nothing really right or standout either. It's basically the space version of Id's "Rage". Review sites give half-hearted reviews that praise the visuals, and offhandedly mention that's it's somewhat derivative and predictable, with less than stellar writing and voice acting, but if you need to scratch the space game itch, you could do worse. Spergs play it and are dissatisfied to a degree, not enough to go apeshit, but it's not quite good enough for them to really feel like the bar has been raised, either.

Even though #1 makes for more fun viewing, I personally would like to see #2 occur. For people like Chris and Sandi, the best punishment you can mete out is for them to simply be forgotten; for Chris to fade back into the background with the likes of Peter Molyneux and Uwe Boll (both of whom create finished products, by the way), and for Sandi to dissolve back into smoke and seethe in some forgotten corner of the world for another thousand years until the next faustian bargain.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BMi4VkmsFk&t=1252s

Can anyone make heads and tails out of anything he says here? (press play) Did he actually commit to anything concrete?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think that SQ42 is so far off from being finally completed that most sites wont even bother. The sort of piecemeal release they are going to go with doesn't lend itself to reviews.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MeLKoR posted:

Can anyone make heads and tails out of anything he says here? (press play) Did he actually commit to anything concrete?

Has he got some sort of major speech impediment or something? I can barely understand a word he says. It just sounds like "Smler pler mer mer alpha pok por finkers rossed." Is this some sort of Star Shitizen spoken code? Can we get our elite linguists on the job please?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Scruffpuff posted:

less than stellar writing
The canon word is "submoronic"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xaerael posted:

Has he got some sort of major speech impediment or something? I can barely understand a word he says. It just sounds like "Smler pler mer mer alpha pok por finkers rossed." Is this some sort of Star Shitizen spoken code? Can we get our elite linguists on the job please?

He's speaking Pilgrim

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
seemingly no good reason

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pedomod strikes again for great justice.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: 'Scuse me while I spacerape this starchild; its lore-friendly!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Aeble posted:

Was there any particularly entertaining outbursts/events in december?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

This. All of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kikkelivelho posted:

Makes sense to separate the MMO from the movie

I guess it worked for Blizzard.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

1) SQ42 releases (:mmmhmm:) and it does poorly. Metacritic reviews sit between 4 and 6 for the professional critics (and the usual 0 or 10 from people). Online review sites start furiously retconning their earlier pole-polishings of the IP with retrospectives like "What Went Wrong With Star Citizen", flying in the face of years of red flags and accumulated evidence that they should have known the answer to that question for a drat long time. Sandi goes full Baghdad Bob and starts bombarding the web with propaganda, and they double-down on the MMO portion (SQ42 was just an appetizer!) Backers polarize even more violently - some contritely end up here, others accelerate their downward spiral.

2) SQ42 releases and it is average. Metacritic reviews hover around 7 and 8. There is nothing particularly wrong with it, but nothing really right or standout either. It's basically the space version of Id's "Rage". Review sites give half-hearted reviews that praise the visuals, and offhandedly mention that's it's somewhat derivative and predictable, with less than stellar writing and voice acting, but if you need to scratch the space game itch, you could do worse. Spergs play it and are dissatisfied to a degree, not enough to go apeshit, but it's not quite good enough for them to really feel like the bar has been raised, either.
If SQ42 comes out and is playable by any definition then they're gonna call it a tour de force and expect goons to eat their words. these are people who claim they got chills from Gary oldman sleepwalking through babby's first rousing speech.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warcabbit posted:

Preliminary build, the combat engine in this exists as 'is enemy there? then hit' the full system's in a different project. Trying to do it so people can work on various features without blocking each other. This is the player facing stuff, the server based stuff is much less visible, and thus not shown off.

Bootcha: The yellow dots are 'enemies relevant to your current mission'.

Oh, good then. The environment looked enjoyable, maybe one or two more reads to get the atmosphere and internals locked down. The running bit was cool and I can really get a sense of how what you have could be the foundation of a fun experience.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Saint Drogo posted:

If SQ42 comes out and is playable by any definition then they're gonna call it a tour de force and expect goons to eat their words. these are people who claim they got chills from Gary oldman sleepwalking through babby's first rousing speech.

Someone suggested New Vegas rules earlier. 85% or higher on metacritic or it's not even close to BDSSE.

I'm going with that for my cutoff of whether or not to even consider it as a success.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'd be comfortable with 60% or higher for SQ42. It's going to suuuuccckkkkk. The only way it will get a passing grade is literal fear of getting murdered.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

Lol thats cute that he thinks reddit is for open discussion and not reinforcing the majority opinion

I'll buy Sam an account here if he wants

Samfreez is a shill of the highest order. Not even he believes half the poo poo he says.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
That fat guy still actually has a job.

Does anyone know where I can get a job like this?

asking for a friend.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I want this just to see every reviewer get called Derek Smart

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

MeLKoR posted:

he did say star marine will be coming with patch 2.1 or 2.2. so, the next patch upgrade then. :waycool:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Octopedo:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=216287

Plausible seraph84 parachutes registered earlier in the day:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=216280
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=216281
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=216282 (failing to join goonfleet lmao)

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Did they ever release the press version of the morrow tour video? I know the one linked here is titled 'LIVE version' and they spoke about releasing a HQ version. Did that ever happen?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

As long as you don't pretend to be a real shitizen... that kind of breaks the safari immersion.

Kinda like when you go to the zoo you don't want a guy in a gorila suit to sneak up and fling poo poo at you.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

therobotking posted:

Did they ever release the press version of the morrow tour video? I know the one linked here is titled 'LIVE version' and they spoke about releasing a HQ version. Did that ever happen?

Knowing CIG it's either already been completely forgotten or it's in the process of being completely redone from scratch because it didn't meet some arbitrary standard set by roberts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am currently replaying Alien Vs Predator 2010 version at the moment.

And holy poo poo has it looks better than SC does.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

therobotking posted:

Nope. I looked for it with no luck. You would think they would want to show off something like that in the best possible quality.

And fix the audio.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MeLKoR posted:

As long as you don't pretend to be a real shitizen... that kind of breaks the safari immersion.

Kinda like when you go to the zoo you don't want a guy in a gorila suit to sneak up and fling poo poo at you.

Someone else can do it, i'm never going on that loving forum again.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

happyhippy posted:

I am currently replaying Alien Vs Predator 2010 version at the moment.

And holy poo poo has it looks better than SC does.

Just showed my wife a small part of that video - her response, coming into this knowing nothing - "that looks ugly, blurry, and stupid. What's wrong with their faces?" Compared it to Half-Life 2 Ep. 2 (2007) and aside from polygon count on the models, HL was superior in every way.

This is embarrassing. Doesn't it take a team to make a game? Am I to believe, Christ's messiah complex and meddling aside, am I to believe NOBODY on the team looks at this work and feels any embarrassment at all?

Have none of them played games before?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Decrepus posted:

Trolling used to be an art form back when people didn't know whether to call it trolling or trawling. Now like much of the world, it has lost all hope, magic, and wonder and you are gay.

For me these are two different things. Trolling is posting controversial stuff to get a rise or saying stupid poo poo while pretending to be one of them. Trawling is mostly watching and taking mementos of the creatures doing stupid poo poo in their natural setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the staff making the game are probably just happy when they are able to get anything out the door despite Roberts' insane management style (and with good reason). Roberts himself probably hasn't played many games in 10 years and thinks this is all very cutting edge. He also thinks his razor-sharp dialogue and characterization are the real attraction.

• Locked thread