Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Nance Garner
Aug 16, 2012

Bring your bourbon and cigars to the "Bureau of Education".
There's nothing like being able to golf in mid December in the Upper Midwest!

Also got my first birdie ever the other day and on my birthday no less.

Have been golfing for only ~6 months but drat is it addicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's December 13th and I'm playing today in shorts, in New Jersey. What is this madness?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jordan Spieth continues to own

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Probably hit it straighter than my best drive :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ha, if I did that with a crowd around me I'd injure at least 5 or 6 people (1 or 2 seriously).

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Word on the street is Santa clause may in fact be bringing me some new clubs... specifically Mizuno MP-15's w/ KBS Tour 105 X-Stiff shafts and Golfpride MCC Plus4 grips in red/black - However such a special case order as this may mean delivery after christmas. Now to decide on driver and putter. I am 100% getting the same taylormade wedges I played before probably a 56 and 60, before I only had a 56

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Ha, if I did that with a crowd around me I'd injure at least 5 or 6 people (1 or 2 seriously).

Same, and also myself

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Probably hit it straighter than my best drive :(

It actually ended up in that pond on the right.

Not saying that your statement is incorrect though... ~*golf*~

mtr
May 15, 2008
Jason Day's wife was just taken off on a stretcher after LeBron collided with her going for a loose ball: https://streamable.com/x69d

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Craig Sager of TNT said she's alert and communicating with medical staff. goddamn that looked bad

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone here from/visiting florida played the Legends course at Orange Lake? I've got a free round I have to use before the end of the year and just booked my tee time for sunday. Heard it's supposed to be a really really nice course. Normal tee time cost right now is about $80 so I assume for that price it'd be pretty decent.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So I finally got an introductory golf lesson today, after "teaching" myself golf by 1) watching a poo poo load of youtube videos and 2) going out and hitting the ball. I felt like I was doing a lot of things pretty well, and the instructor agreed (took one look at my grip and said "nice!"). He watched me hit a few balls, and pointed out and corrected 3 things I was doing wrong. Literally minutes later (aiming to the right, dangling my arms/not making good arm+chest connection and leaving way too weight on my right leg in the downswing), I hit 3 consecutive 7 iron shots sweeter, farther and straighter than ever before.

Moral of they story: Get a lesson! You can learn all you want from books and videos, but sometimes you need someone who knows what they are doing to look at your swing from another perspective (aka not your own). I will probably go back a few times with a couple of rounds played in between each visit, focusing on the handful of strategies and areas he indicated. I'm pumped!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
After a two month break, I played 2 weeks ago at a pretty fun little course. I didn't get to play again until yesterday at Tour 18. Got there about an hour early to warm up. Putted for a while, but I didn't feel I got anything out of it. The greens are always a little bit quicker and more sloped than other courses I play, so I just try my best with whatever I've brought to the course that day. I did get to fix some alignment issues on the long game, and that paid off pretty well.

I didn't miss a fairway all day, and I hit 13 greens. My approach shot into hole 1 was 2 feet into the fringe, pin high, and then I hit the next 10 greens in a row. Played Amen Corner in even, though I'm still waiting to play it under par. I hit a devilishly good shot into the par 4 but left it above the hole, so I took a 2 putt and ran to the next tee. Hit a decent shot on the par 3, but I left it pin high on the ridge that splits the left and right halves of the green. The pin was on the left, and I gave my birdie try a little too much speed, resulting in a 6 footer for par that didn't even touch the hole. Hammered a drive and a hybrid to get on the par 5 in 2 shots, and the flag was in the middle tier. My 2nd shot hit into the slope and somehow stayed up top; I dropped a ball on my pitchmark in the slope and watched this one roll down to the hole, settling 5 feet away. I had a crazy fast downhill putt for eagle on my first ball, so I just lagged it down to a few feet and made birdie.

Made the turn at -1, even got it to -2 after 14 holes, but then I got sloppy coming in. I knifed a sand wedge over a short par 4 15th and 3 putted for double, and then I failed to get up and down from the wet greenside bunker on the next hole. Had birdie opportunities on 17 and 18 to get it back to even or better, but I couldn't capitalize this time.

In other news, my best friend's brother in law works for Nike, and he gets a pretty awesome discount across the board on equipment, balls, and clothing. I nabbed 4 dozen RZN Platinum balls for $21/dozen. Next stop? Shoes I don't really need!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

In other news, my best friend's brother in law works for Nike, and he gets a pretty awesome discount across the board on equipment, balls, and clothing. I nabbed 4 dozen RZN Platinum balls for $21/dozen. Next stop? Shoes I don't really need!
Hook me up with some with some Lunar Control 4 size 12 in white tia

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Hey if you're hooking Josh up with shoes I could use the new Vapor Fly Pro driver, XS shaft please :)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Does anyone else put like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRaVI6lDPE, where he advocates finding a dominant arm and using the shoulder of that arm to create a fulcrum? Basically it is an arm only swing. Thoughts?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

cheese posted:

Does anyone else put like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRaVI6lDPE, where he advocates finding a dominant arm and using the shoulder of that arm to create a fulcrum? Basically it is an arm only swing. Thoughts?

A lot of people putt like that. You shouldn't be rotating your shoulders or upper body while putting anyway, it's all arm swing. You'll see tons of pros (look at Jordan Speith) warm up with several 1 arm putts with both hands before they move into 2 hand grips.

My right arm is dominant so I putt right hand low with an extended index finger down the shaft to help me control angle better I average 1.6pph which isn't fabulous, but I am also not a pro.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So today is my 37th bday and I took the day off to go golfing with my dad and brother. My goal today was to shoot my age x2. Well, I did a little better!

Best shot of the day was on the par 5th 14. Smashed my drive and left my second shot in a bunker 112 yards short of the green. Picked my gap wedge clean outta the trap and put it to within a foot. My divot on the green was a good 5 feet past the pin and it spun back, musta spun right past the hole too. All in all a good birthday golf day!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

A lot of people putt like that. You shouldn't be rotating your shoulders or upper body while putting anyway, it's all arm swing. You'll see tons of pros (look at Jordan Speith) warm up with several 1 arm putts with both hands before they move into 2 hand grips.

My right arm is dominant so I putt right hand low with an extended index finger down the shaft to help me control angle better I average 1.6pph which isn't fabulous, but I am also not a pro.
Thanks for the advice.

I've been to the range every day this week and I feel like I'm getting better pretty rapidly, but the one area I'm still struggling in is my lower body. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information about where to put my weight and how to shift it. As I understand it, I want to start with weight pretty evenly distributed on the balls of my feet. As the backswing progresses, I put more of my weight on my right side, and then I start the downswing by shifting that weight onto my left leg?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

It's almost 70 outside and partly cloudy, on Dec 24, in New York. And I'm stuck on my rear end recovering from Achilles surgery while every golfer I know is out there playing. Fuuuuuuck. Hopefully I can play in April when the courses open for the next season.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Yep, home in Syracuse, NY, where it's currently 64°F out, and I just grabbed my dad's old clubs and hit a couple 6-irons into the woods behind my parents' house.

I might try and get out this weekend up here. No spikes, no glove, clubs from the 90s. Let's do this :D

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This is from our annual Bonville round last week. Greens were running about 12 and it was a nice 30 degrees C.

Bonus images of the locals ;)
http://i.imgur.com/YoVWpGb
http://i.imgur.com/867DZBc
http://imgur.com/a/wgifz

Dunno if I'll ever figure out how to timg with imgur... grrr

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 25, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It was 75*F in Atlanta yesterday and today but we've had a Noah's flood type situation. What a waste of global warming.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Man, I have a sick lineup over the next few days. Practice all day tomorrow, golf tomorrow in Florida, two rounds at Pebble and Spanish Bay, then two rounds at Seminole on Monday and Tuesday. Hope y'all are taking advantage of the unseasonably nice weather. (Sorry Josh Lyman, ATL got drenched.)

Also, I've been doing this drill that's done wonders for my game. Just take it a normal backswing, pause at the top for 2-5 seconds, then a normal downswing. Start off with a 56 and move your way up to driver. If you do it right, you can hit the ball just as far as a normal swing. It's done wonders for syncing up my swing, and I'm striking the ball the best I ever have. Highly recommend it for anyone with transition issues.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anyone have any recommendations in the Fort Myers/Bonita Springs area? I'm going to be down there for a few days at the end of the week/early next week.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

cheese posted:

Thanks for the advice.

I've been to the range every day this week and I feel like I'm getting better pretty rapidly, but the one area I'm still struggling in is my lower body. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information about where to put my weight and how to shift it. As I understand it, I want to start with weight pretty evenly distributed on the balls of my feet. As the backswing progresses, I put more of my weight on my right side, and then I start the downswing by shifting that weight onto my left leg?

Essentially. A proper golf swing is really tough to accomplish. Too many variables that have to all line up. For me when I take practice swings, say with a 5 iron. I line up with the club face in the middle of my stance slightly pressed forward. I'll do a slow back swing to feel the weigh shift to my right foot and try to be aware of where my arms and elbows are. Then I forcibly unload weight to my left foot while exaggerating hip turn. Forcibly in the sense that after my swing you'd see a footprint from my left foot as I drive the weight over and down through impact. I've never really had issues with my swing in general, my biggest issue is consistency in closing the club face. The last coach I had in high school though it was because I had too much power with longer clubs. Which is pretty evident because I am laser accurate with 56 thru 8 iron so much so that I practice driving more than anything so I tend to end up with Driver > Wedge on most par4's

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I want to play tomorrow, it's supposed to be 67*F and partly cloudy, but we've had 4 inches of rain in the last week.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I want to play tomorrow, it's supposed to be 67*F and partly cloudy, but we've had 4 inches of rain in the last week.

I feel your pain here in Charlotte, even though I haven't gotten my new clubs yet. Nice little track I play rents nice Mizuno clubs though. Here's hoping Thursday afternoon ends up being nice. Anything above 50 degrees and not raining would be awesome.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Essentially. A proper golf swing is really tough to accomplish. Too many variables that have to all line up. For me when I take practice swings, say with a 5 iron. I line up with the club face in the middle of my stance slightly pressed forward. I'll do a slow back swing to feel the weigh shift to my right foot and try to be aware of where my arms and elbows are. Then I forcibly unload weight to my left foot while exaggerating hip turn. Forcibly in the sense that after my swing you'd see a footprint from my left foot as I drive the weight over and down through impact. I've never really had issues with my swing in general, my biggest issue is consistency in closing the club face. The last coach I had in high school though it was because I had too much power with longer clubs. Which is pretty evident because I am laser accurate with 56 thru 8 iron so much so that I practice driving more than anything so I tend to end up with Driver > Wedge on most par4's
Thanks for the advice. I found a couple of different drills that I used yesterday to practice this, including this Hip Turn drill and this one about hitting after the ball, and the result has been really positive (you can't hit in front of the ball if you don't shift your weight and turn your hips). The difference between "hitting the ball ok with game improvement clubs" and "actually hitting it how and when you are supposed to" is bigger than I thought. I was hitting it further from that half swing position in the Robin Symes video utilizing weight shift and a powerful hip turn than I was normally from a full swing :D

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I was on golfwrx for the first time in a month this week and saw a Vapor Pro driver that had just been listed much cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. I've gamed the Covert and Covert 2.0 and like them but wanted to switch to something that spins a bit less, and being able to keep my same shaft since the adapter is compatible is a plus. So it'll be here tomorrow, and I'll be unable to hit it at all until late March or April thanks to my ankle. It's gonna be a loooong winter, even if the weather continues to be ridiculously mild.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
SOMEONE MAKE A GOLF 2016 THREAADADADDDDDD

Also, supposed to play Knollwood in Los Angeles this weekend. Anyone been?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

I have. It's a decent course - fairly short, but usually in good shape.

The first hole is a really tough par 4. You want to stay as far left as possible, since just off the right side of the fairway is a huge hill that goes down to the driving range and the fence there doesn't go down to the ground, so your ball is gone if you catch the hill and don't get extremely lucky. Your second shot is going to be straight up hill to a tiny green.

I don't remember the rest of the holes well enough to call out specific ones, but there are a lot of doglegs and par 4 holes where the fairway runs out well short of driver distance. Here's my scorecard from last time I played for reference. I only hit driver on the par 5's.

Strap in for a long day though. They play 5-somes and this weekend is sure to be busy.

Happy New Year!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

This one is only at 38 pages so I'm happy to just keep it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah didn't we keep the 2011 thread for like 4 years?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ty3__InpSE

I'll give you one guess which course hosted

Trump National Los Angeles

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Well, Pebble was really cool. Don't expect a quick round. I think it took us 5:30. I didn't really play it well--ended up shooting 82. There were some great moments though. I birdied 17 and had a par on 18 after hitting my drive in the hazard. Spanish Bay went better. Shot 74 with 5 birdies.

Both courses have some phenomenal holes but also quite a few that you could find anywhere. 1-7 at Pebble are sort of blah, and the front 9 at Spanish Bay is just ok.

Good news is that I won low medalist for the little mini tournament we had going, so I got $400 in pro shop gift certificates.

Definitely worth the trip out, but I wouldn't make a habit of it unless I was on the west coast. There are a lot of courses in the east or Midwest that I'd take over a Pebble trip again, especially since Pebble is probably 50% more expensive than any other golf trip I've done. Whistling straits and Blackwolf Run (River) are better courses IMO.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Sounds like a fun trip. Great round on SB too!

Since I live in California, almost everyone I golf with has been to Pebble and they all say pretty much the same thing. Every golfer should go there and it's worth every penny the first time, but it's not a place they're all itching to go back to because it's crazy expensive and there are better courses for much less money.

My group of guys is trying to decide between doing Pebble or Bandon sometime this year. I think we're leaning towards Bandon, but we'll see.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Bandon is just so good. My toenails started breaking apart from the walking (I was a fatso) but I'd have gone another 1 day / 36 holes if I didn't have a plane to catch.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

This one is only at 38 pages so I'm happy to just keep it.

This thread is still in its infancy. We'll reexamine in 2020.

I was playing in a 4some last week, and we decided to play a little betting game on the last hole. It was a teacher friend, his father-in-law, and FIL's boss.

We weren't playing competitively for most of the round (they're all 24+ hdcps), but the FIL started talking trash to my friend (the son-in-law) because FIL made a birdie on a par 3 early on in the round. So SIL asks if he wants to play for $5 a hole, and that shut him up pretty quickly.

Anyway, we get to the last hole, it's cold, the group in front of us has been super slow, and we're mentally checked out. The FIL says he'll play SIL for $5 on the last hole if he spots him a stroke, then I told him I'd spot him 3 for $5. He declined, but the boss (who I later found out is SUPER into money games) told me he'd accept those terms. I told him I'd give him 2 strokes if he'd play from the tips with me. So FIL vs SIL, with FIL getting a stroke, and boss vs. me, with boss getting 2. Boss then proposed a team format for an additional $5 - him and FIL vs me and SIL, giving them 3 strokes and adding up the team's scores. I don't ever get to play for money, so my blood is pumping now.

I smoke a drive up the middle of this long par 4 and hit a hybrid just long and left of the green. Boss hits a decent drive up the right, chunks his second into a pot bunker, has to pitch out sideways, then sends his 4th long and left of the green about where I am. I was further out and hit a decent enough pitch off a tight lie to maybe 10 feet (right distance but it didn't take the slope like I expected), and boss bladed his pitch over the green and then barely snuck his 6th onto the front fringe, probably 8 feet out.

SIL pitches beautifully down to leave himself a 4 footer for bogey, and FIL has an 20 footer for double. FIL, after not making a putt outside 5 feet all day, drains this 20 footer like he was born with a putter in his hand. I step up...and miss mine. Read break that wasn't there, whatever. After not making a putt longer than a tap-in all day, Boss gets up there, and drains HIS from the fringe. So with my 2 putt bogey and his "chip in" triple, we tied. SIL makes his knee-knocker bogey putt to tie his FIL, and our totals tied as well.

I was the only person in the group to not make his first putt, and though I high fived the boss for making a clutch putt like that, man...I was so drat upset on the way home. I saw the SIL at work today, where I began to moan about the missed :10bux: (my match + our match), but he said that he's never felt so much focus on a golf hole before, and he wishes he could play EVERY hole for money. Maybe not $5 a hole, as that could get expensive. I agreed with him. I'm not wild about playing for money and handicaps, though. Any hacker can get lucky and make a par or even bogey. I'd rather lose money on birdie putts.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kameh posted:

This thread is still in its infancy. We'll reexamine in 2020.

I was playing in a 4some last week, and we decided to play a little betting game on the last hole. It was a teacher friend, his father-in-law, and FIL's boss.

We weren't playing competitively for most of the round (they're all 24+ hdcps), but the FIL started talking trash to my friend (the son-in-law) because FIL made a birdie on a par 3 early on in the round. So SIL asks if he wants to play for $5 a hole, and that shut him up pretty quickly.

Anyway, we get to the last hole, it's cold, the group in front of us has been super slow, and we're mentally checked out. The FIL says he'll play SIL for $5 on the last hole if he spots him a stroke, then I told him I'd spot him 3 for $5. He declined, but the boss (who I later found out is SUPER into money games) told me he'd accept those terms. I told him I'd give him 2 strokes if he'd play from the tips with me. So FIL vs SIL, with FIL getting a stroke, and boss vs. me, with boss getting 2. Boss then proposed a team format for an additional $5 - him and FIL vs me and SIL, giving them 3 strokes and adding up the team's scores. I don't ever get to play for money, so my blood is pumping now.

I smoke a drive up the middle of this long par 4 and hit a hybrid just long and left of the green. Boss hits a decent drive up the right, chunks his second into a pot bunker, has to pitch out sideways, then sends his 4th long and left of the green about where I am. I was further out and hit a decent enough pitch off a tight lie to maybe 10 feet (right distance but it didn't take the slope like I expected), and boss bladed his pitch over the green and then barely snuck his 6th onto the front fringe, probably 8 feet out.

SIL pitches beautifully down to leave himself a 4 footer for bogey, and FIL has an 20 footer for double. FIL, after not making a putt outside 5 feet all day, drains this 20 footer like he was born with a putter in his hand. I step up...and miss mine. Read break that wasn't there, whatever. After not making a putt longer than a tap-in all day, Boss gets up there, and drains HIS from the fringe. So with my 2 putt bogey and his "chip in" triple, we tied. SIL makes his knee-knocker bogey putt to tie his FIL, and our totals tied as well.

I was the only person in the group to not make his first putt, and though I high fived the boss for making a clutch putt like that, man...I was so drat upset on the way home. I saw the SIL at work today, where I began to moan about the missed :10bux: (my match + our match), but he said that he's never felt so much focus on a golf hole before, and he wishes he could play EVERY hole for money. Maybe not $5 a hole, as that could get expensive. I agreed with him. I'm not wild about playing for money and handicaps, though. Any hacker can get lucky and make a par or even bogey. I'd rather lose money on birdie putts.

Now I am terrible at golf and the worst of my friends, but they have a wonderful betting system that makes me feel I can at least compete, because there are some parts of my game that I do really well. They go on a point system.

1 point for fairways
1 point for greens in regulation (that means you are putting for birdie or better)
1 point for closest to pin on par 3's (This is optional and we normally don't do this)
Once everyone is on the green, you putt out for points. You have to make your first putt to get points
Farthest from pin -- 4 points
2nd farthest from pin -- 3 points
2nd closest to pin -- 2 points
Closest to pin -- 1 point
1 point for pars
2 points for birdies
5 points for a chip in (if you are on the fringe and choose to putt and drain it, we consider that a chip because you aren't on the green, but that is something you guys can work out for yourself. Also note, if you drain a shot from 50 yards out, or make a hole in one, that is considered a chip in on the points system.)

When you will out your score card, you just add up the points for each hole in the upper right hand corner next to your score. Let's say you score a 5 on a par four, but you hit your fairway and are on the green in regulation. Then it's a 5 with a 2 in the upper corner.

Everyone add their points at the end, and you pay out $1 for every point. I know some guys who go $5 a point, but that is crazy. You can lower it to $0.50 or a $.25 if you want to keep it manageable. Just don't be the guy with the worst score, because you are usually paying it out. I tend to hit fairways and putt very well, so even though I'm terrible, I can usually manage to not be in last place payout wise.