Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Water colors are really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toi8 is a good artist. he did the character designs for soul nomad and the world eaters which makes him a hero. i wish i had the soul nomad art book but they printed like 5 copies of it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Baal posted:

Yeah I know, but again that's not something that's showing the Atlus brand, that's something they're using because it's a concept that was popular in Persona and they're instead putting their characters on top of it to make it their own brand. Like there's a reason NIntendo's name is all over the game and Atlus gets developer credit and some costumes, but that's it. Like their name isn't even on the box...

The game has very much been marketed as a NIntendo game, with Nintendo characters, exclusively for those who own a Nintendo Wii U. Atlus is very much not a face of this game with only tenuous connections at best to another product of theirs that Nintendo also wanted to be made a certain way so it has their game at the forefront.
I don't really know what we're arguing about then. All I was saying was that #FE is a crossover in the sense that they're making a JRPG with Fire Emblem characters and Persona mechanics. I wasn't really talking about branding.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't really know what we're arguing about then. All I was saying was that #FE is a crossover in the sense that they're making a JRPG with Fire Emblem characters and Persona mechanics. I wasn't really talking about branding.

quote:

The Persona influence is undeniable, in concept and monster design. There isn't anything literally from Persona, but I feel its influence is strong.

What are the Persona mechanics because you actually didn't say that at any point and the biggest one (The dating sim) I already said wasn't there and it doesn't even have the press turn system.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't believe Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ripped off the Persona series...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I can't believe Mazinger Z ripped off the Persona series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona isn't anime, nerds

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Baal posted:

What are the Persona mechanics because you actually didn't say that at any point and the biggest one (The dating sim) I already said wasn't there and it doesn't even have the press turn system.
You level up your Stand dudes, and I think they reflect the characters stats. It doesn't have press turn, but I think hitting weaknesses does a thing where your allies go in to attack, which could be derived from press turn. Presentation is similar, particularly with menus and attack icons. I'd have to play it to see more, but it looks pretty similar from what I've seen.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 1, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

You level up your Stand dudes. It doesn't have press turn, but I think hitting weaknesses does a thing where your allies go in to attack, which could be derived from press turn. Presentation is similar, particularly with menus and attack icons. I'd have to play it to see more, but it looks pretty similar from what I've seen.

The most the game has is a similar weakness system. Battles are dominated by the weapons triangle and the magic system, hitting weaknesses allow you to do follow up attacks where the whole team can join in or you can do your dual attacks which are actually if anything more like Persona 2 demon negotiation shenanigans than anything P3 or 4 have, but it's in the form of attacks instead of negotiating of course. The turn order is shown to you through the hud like Grandia and the hud also does not inherently remind me of Persona, it's really weird looking. Levelling up the Performas is like a foregone conclusion, every JRPG that has like companion creatures to you has them as their own levelling mechanic or system that goes back to like Pokemon and even FFVIII.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that box art is really good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah that is really great boxart

One thing Nintendo has consistently done on the Wii U is really, really good boxart for all of their games

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Baal posted:

The most the game has is a similar weakness system. Battles are dominated by the weapons triangle and the magic system, hitting weaknesses allow you to do follow up attacks where the whole team can join in or you can do your dual attacks which are actually if anything more like Persona 2 demon negotiation shenanigans than anything P3 or 4 have, but it's in the form of attacks instead of negotiating of course. The turn order is shown to you through the hud like Grandia and the hud also does not inherently remind me of Persona, it's really weird looking. Levelling up the Performas is like a foregone conclusion, every JRPG that has like companion creatures to you has them as their own levelling mechanic or system that goes back to like Pokemon and even FFVIII.
Hitting an enemies weakness allowing an extra attack of some sort sounds similar to press turn to me. If anything, it sounds like they combined press turn with all out attack. I'll give you the hud, but I was referring more so to the icons showing representing physical and elemental attacks, which I think are pulled straight from Atlus games. The pause menu also reminds me of Persona 4 in particular, but I'm not trying to say the pause menu means #FE is similar to Persona. And it's more-so that that companions look and function pretty much identically to Personas. They allow characters to use magic attacks and determine the characters stats.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Hitting an enemies weakness allowing an extra attack of some sort sounds similar to press turn to me. If anything, it sounds like they combined press turn with all out attack. I'll give you the hud, but I was referring more so to the icons showing representing physical and elemental attacks, which I think are pulled straight from Atlus games. The pause menu also reminds me of Persona 4 in particular, but I'm not trying to say the pause menu means #FE is similar to Persona. And it's more-so that that companions look and function pretty much identically to Personas. They allow characters to use magic attacks and determine the characters stats.

It's not all out attack or press turn because it's specific to certain characters who have session attacks and your follow up attacks are limited to those. They can comprise of multiple things, but it's still a limited pool of things which is what makes it unique to the game and not just something ripped from the Atlus games.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I suppose. My point is, the game has social links, and the game has Personas. They aren't exactly either of those things I'm sure, but I feel they're derived from those things. Therefore, I feel that #FE has influences from Persona.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game does not have S. Links and yeah it obviously did derive the Performas from Persona, but that's not something that makes it an SMT/FE crossover which is what I saying to begin with. The reason it is a crossover is because it is Intelligent Systems and Atlus worked on the game together. It pulls from both, but it pulls from one more than the other not unlike Professor Layton x Ace Attorney, but unlike that game this one is possibly good. Like the game was originally pitched as SMTxFE and it ended up not being that but instead AtlusxIntelligent Systems which is fine, but the actual game isn't really a crossover anymore at this point nor does it pull any real influence from Persona and SMT that isn't tenuous.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i spent a large portion of last night complaining about idols and you two are making me wanna stuff you in a locker.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Waffleman_ posted:

I think if Shin Megami Tensei wants to experiment, Atlus should make an episodic choice-based adventure game.

Life is Strange And Also Filled With Demons

I don't know how that would work, but I'd definitely play a demonological adventure game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

i spent a large portion of last night complaining about idols and you two are making me wanna stuff you in a locker.

Kiss my rear end, inflammatory

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I thought the "sidestories" they were talking about in the Treehouse were supposed to be similar to social links.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They are generic JRPG side quests, they're more like affinity quests from Xenoblade X, really

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CottonWolf posted:

I don't know how that would work, but I'd definitely play a demonological adventure game.

An adventure game with RPG battles.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So, an RPG?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You shut the gently caress up, Beef.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Devil Survivor is basically the closest to that you're going to get.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

#FE uses SMT spell names.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah I forgot about that, lol

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You could make a Life is Strange-style game based around demon negotiation, maybe. Build a team to prevent/profit from/revel in the apocalypse.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

to be blunt i dont think there's anything interesting enough about the shin megami tensei franchise's characters or setting to support a crossover, and the two series aren't really compatible in terms of what they're about, so a straight-up crossover would be really awkward.

half the fire emblem characters in the game are ones from fire emblem 1 so "interesting" wasn't really a priority
(the priority was titties)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
Satan will remember that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
who would you even base an smt adventure game on the nocturne pixie?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Baal posted:

persona 4: clicking things on other things all evening

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'll be like the gungrave anime where they take the silent protagonist and just make him not talk much

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Baal posted:

Jack Frost, probably.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
real talk though they could just make up a new protagonist. smt is more about the setting than the characters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, I want it to be about Chemtrails now

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I remember the US reveal trailer from #FE had a "This game is anticipated to be rated Mature" thing, which I assumed would've been from Mara, but considering that Jack Frost is the only SMT thing that even appears, I wonder what they could've possibly been worrying about.

I hope Marth is a penis monster.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

Dante, from the Devil May Cry series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

I remember the US reveal trailer from #FE had a "This game is anticipated to be rated Mature" thing, which I assumed would've been from Mara, but considering that Jack Frost is the only SMT thing that even appears, I wonder what they could've possibly been worrying about.

I hope Marth is a penis monster.

Probably because Persona 3 and 4 were both rated Mature for...really nothing.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Baal posted:

An entire game based around demon negotiations, yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably because Persona 3 and 4 were both rated Mature for...really nothing.

Yeah they could've easily been rated T if not for the uhhh genital fiends