Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

czarmonger posted:

even after seeing the gameplay which looks pretty cool

Opinion invalidated, there is no gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Scruffpuff posted:

:perfect:

I particularly like that you can only get the straight piece by buying the full set for a drastically inflated price!

The entire Manchester Studio has been working on the 4 block red piece since 2013, its our flagship piece for Tetris42.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

redwalrus posted:

The entire Manchester Studio has been working on the 4 block red piece since 2013, its our flagship piece for Tetris42.

64-bit precision perchance?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
:frogsiren:

WebDog just posted a sperg-tastic but loving awesome cliffsnotes of starcitizen

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3758271&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post454474903

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Will it be possible to have curves in 2 weeks?

let me check the list.

yes but not with the initial launch

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
my adderall ran out and I cannot finish that WebDog post :(

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

That was a great read.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

redwalrus posted:

$160.00
Package Includes 3-Year Insurance

$265.00

$350.00

$600.00

LIMITED TIME $3,400.00
Package Includes Lifetime Insurance

Which of these are in stock?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

myschef posted:

Oh, the numbers aren't showing anymore?

Let me just refresh that for you...

Don't forget they are "limited" in quantity!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So THAT'S what the wulge is.......

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

myschef posted:

Sorry the store is really getting slammed right now, our crack web team at Turbulent will look into it right after they license the crowd funding system we built with veteran backers money.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

OK guys I'm back from the FUTURE.... I'm sorry this took so long but it's drat hard to find anything in the HoloWeb. Anyway, we can stop guessing, here's what happens (SPOILER ALERT)

That is amazing.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Something I learned from an earlier thread; I have this as a bookmark, so that whenever I need a little cheering up, I can right click -> Search Google for image

the Wulge, in simpler times

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sci-fi autism : The Chris Roberts story

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

redwalrus posted:

Sorry the store is really getting slammed right now, our crack web team at Turbulent will look into it right after they license the crowd funding system we built with veteran backers money.

I tried buying the limited package and it said there was 900 left. 900 sold in less than a second? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Plus, this was on sale last month for 150 cheaper, and included a base game. Is your ordering system wrong?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

czarmonger posted:

It is the second version of an alpha. If you've ever been to gaming conferences and gotten to preview alphas of larger studio games, not only are they still buggy, but they're like the 40th version of the alpha.

It is not an alpha, it is barely a pre-alpha. There are no gaming systems that are complete and it is a 16 player instance when it is supposed to be a fully persistent MMO. The software systems that are going to be used in it such as physics, flight models and first-person capabilities are still being developed. Features are also still being added as are systems.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
that WebDog post should really be put in the op imo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wow, that's an amazing amount of information. I particularly found the bit about Digital Anvil to be interesting. I didn't realize that Chris's game studio was also being used for movie production, and that Wing Commander was being made at the same time as Freelancer. Funny what happened.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

I tried buying the limited package and it said there was 900 left. 900 sold in less than a second? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Plus, this was on sale last month for 150 cheaper, and included a base game. Is your ordering system wrong?

Ughhhh GAWWWD you sickening casual pleb, have P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E he's working on it, honestly you make me sick.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my adderall ran out and I cannot finish that WebDog post :(

Not ready reading post...
Abort. Retry. Fail.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Digital Anvil made Brute Force??? I knew the name sounded familiar.

Another game that promised way more than it delivered and was poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

It is not an alpha, it is barely a pre-alpha. There are no gaming systems that are complete and it is a 16 player instance when it is supposed to be a fully persistent MMO. The software systems that are going to be used in it such as physics, flight models and first-person capabilities are still being developed. Features are also still being added as are systems.

I believe it's appropriate to say that what they have on the PTU is not even a pre-alpha. I would call it a playble demo of some of the underlying systems. They cobbled together a handful of systems into an approximation of an alpha, in order to have something with minimal functionality for people to log into as proof that they are making progress, and to make sure people keep paying, and to allow them to deny refunds.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if future iterations do not even remotely resemble what's out there now. And since every patch is a full redownload of the game, how would we even know?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

I tried buying the limited package and it said there was 900 left. 900 sold in less than a second! WHAT IS GOING ON!

Plus, this was on sale last month for 150 cheaper, and included a base game. Is your ordering system wrong!

Closing thread for discussing moderation.
Also used corruption to change question marks into exclamations!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

OK guys I'm back from the FUTURE.... I'm sorry this took so long but it's drat hard to find anything in the HoloWeb. Anyway, we can stop guessing, here's what happens (SPOILER ALERT)

:yarg::gary:

This is amazing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

“No one expects the Star Citizinquisition! Our chief weapon is fear, uncertainty and doubt; two chief weapons, fear, uncertainty, and ruthless spending! Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, uncertainty, ruthless spending, and near fanatical devotion to the Roberts! Um, I'll re-reg in again..."

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scruffpuff posted:

I believe it's appropriate to say that what they have on the PTU is not even a pre-alpha. I would call it a playble demo of some of the underlying systems. They cobbled together a handful of systems into an approximation of an alpha, in order to have something with minimal functionality for people to log into as proof that they are making progress, and to make sure people keep paying.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if future iterations do not even remotely resemble what's out there now. And since every patch is a full redownload of the game, how would we even know?

Yeah, true. It is basically a proof-of-concept at 4 years and 100 million dollars later. The patches don't even contain enough content to warrant a full re-download. The problem is they are using this as validation of enough progress to deny refunds. That means they consider this to be somewhat representative of the final product. So I don't honestly know how different it is going to look.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, true. It is basically a proof-of-concept at 4 years and 100 million dollars later. The patches don't even contain enough content to warrant a full re-download. The problem is they are using this as validation of enough progress to deny refunds. That means they consider this to be somewhat representative of the final product. So I don't honestly know how different it is going to look.

"We had to lose the space combat, as well as the space, and much of the combat."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

"We had to lose the space combat, as well as the space, and much of the combat."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Skepticism about Star Citizen = Okay! :)

Spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt about Star Citizen = Bad! :(

Skepticism = Doubt and/or Uncertainty

Welp!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris Roberts is the Zapp Brannigan of Video Game Developers, yes.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper Dan posted:

The problem will always be what they promised. Which is everything. And they charged for it. More money than any other game in existence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they sold ships that are supposed to be like aircraft carriers, with other ships inside of them, I think up to something crazy like 20 people?. Even if they release a game that has that ship with 20 people at once in it that can take off in their own ships, without any purpose to that ship the game will be completely bunk. I can't imagine they'll ever get a smooth prototype of that working, that doesnt crash, that players dont clip into and can run into their own ships and enter and leave as they wish. And to top it all off, that's got to fit into a game vs something... My guess is the Idris or whatever the mammoth ship will never ever see use because they'll never build a stable server that can handle that many people in the game AND give them something else to shoot at.

when they announce that those capital ships were a mistake and have to be cut from the features, the community will eat itself alive. Of course, they'll never announce it, they dont even share any progress towards those ships (that I'm aware of)

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 2, 2016

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Madcosby posted:

The problem will always be what they promised. Which is everything. And they charged for it. More money than any other game in existence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they sold ships that are supposed to be like aircraft carriers, with other ships inside of them, I think up to something crazy like 20 people?. Even if they release a game that has that ship with 20 people at once in it that can take off in their own ships, without any purpose to that ship the game will be completely bunk. I can't imagine they'll ever get a smooth prototype of that working, that doesnt crash, that players dont clip into and can run into their own ships and enter and leave as they wish. And to top it all off, that's got to fit into a game vs something... My guess is the Idris or whatever the mammoth ship will never ever see use because they'll never build a stable server that can handle that many people in the game AND give them something else to shoot at.

when they announce that those capital ships were a mistake and have to be cut from the features, the community will eat itself alive. Of course, they'll never announce it, they dont even share any progress towards those ships (that I'm aware of)

Yes, they are promising something like that. And why? For what reason? E.V.E. has systems in place for that sort of poo poo, but E.V.E has been built for a very long time. People think it somehow sprung magically into existence without any time or plan, and that is what CIG is promising. The funny thing is that how do you resolve a 20 person interior ship with massive space battles involving hundreds of people, some of which have multi-crew and single ships, loading dozens of individual levels as well as rendering the external battle without your game exploding into a million little pieces? Oh yeah, they haven't resolved that and never will.

They have science ships, medical ships, loving bar ships and tourist ships that cost hundreds of dollars each with not one hint of any game play system that will make them worth a hot gently caress. They promised basically a game for everyone, everywhere because Chris basically wanted as much money as possible and thought modern videogames were magical boxes that could do anything easily because he hasn't actually touched a computer since 2003 and thinks he is a Hollywood director and this will break him back into the industry.

Beet Wagon posted:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madcosby posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they sold ships that are supposed to be like aircraft carriers, with other ships inside of them, I think up to something crazy like 20 people?

What's funny is, I've built a ship like that in Space Engineers. A game that actually is out and stable when played, for the most part, for a whopping $25. You can even design it however you want too.

Dapper Dan posted:

E.V.E. has systems in place for that sort of poo poo, but E.V.E has been built for a very long time.

EVE took, initially, I think around three years to develop with a skeleton crew of like 10 people (most of whom weren't really programmers). Since then it's at least had 2 major updates a year bringing a wide array of changes (both good and bad) for the game. From what I've seen/heard from CIG about the design of Star Citizen, there's nothing really fully planned out other than "we'll be the best space game ever" and that's their only goal/roadmap. At least, that's how it comes across.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 2, 2016

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I've met the eve devs. They're always at pycon US. They buy beer and joke around. They all seem happy to be working at there and love to talk tech.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jaegerx posted:

I've met the eve devs. They're always at pycon US. They buy beer and joke around. They all seem happy to be working at there and love to talk tech.

That makes sense since EVE was coded in Python and hasn't/can't be changed away from that.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

50 missions are promised for SQ42.

I could have sworn that they announced at the anniversary thing in November CitizenCon in October that Squadron 42 was now an open-world sandbox game with on-foot FPS gameplay instead of a mission-based space combat simulator. I assumed that meant they were trying to weasel out of the promised 50 missions. Nobody has talked about that here in ages though, so it's entirely possible I hallucinated it. Everything after that Sandy speech was so goddamn surreal that I can't trust my recollection of any of that insane livestream.

E: Okay, I found people talking about it in the old thread, starting near the bottom of this page.

My guess is that the current alpha is actually way closer to what both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen will be on "release" than any of the True Believers could possibly imagine. A ton of empty space peppered with a couple of small points of interest, a few barebones objectives with slight alterations in location and parameters in order to satisfy the 50 mission promises, and a whole lot of unskippable/noninteractive dialogue to wade through.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 2, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jaegerx posted:

Well Croberts told the audience to go buy a beer after his awful presentation the first time they showed off the game. So they have that in common.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
45 missions of those will be like MGSV sideops where you go do 3 point CAPs and find enemy fighters at one, just like CRs last successful game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Gryphon0468 posted:

Do it. Then you all might choke on each other's dicks rather than talk to other people.

y u so butt hurt about a video game?

just

you will feel alot better about yourself

• Locked thread