Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm taking the FiST on an extended test drive tomorrow, my first drive was basically in rush hour so I want to give it another chance to win my heart. If I do get one, the real dillema is, base model Molten orange, or base model + nav + grey wheels in performance blue? (2015 cars available locally)

My current car is a similar blue, which I like a lot but the orange is pretty unique and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

...it's still a turbo car that takes well to a tune. But it definitely isn't designed to be a hot hatch. I have a manual and I hate the transmission, but besides that it's fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Bummer.

...it's still a turbo car that takes well to a tune. But it definitely isn't designed to be a hot hatch. I have a manual and I hate the transmission, but besides that it's fine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm taking the FiST on an extended test drive tomorrow, my first drive was basically in rush hour so I want to give it another chance to win my heart. If I do get one, the real dillema is, base model Molten orange, or base model + nav + grey wheels in performance blue? (2015 cars available locally)

My current car is a similar blue, which I like a lot but the orange is pretty unique and fun.

I was afraid the orange would be a ticket magnet but after a year (today!) of ownership and nrear constant aggressive driving the only time I've been pulled over was in my FC RX7 and that was for a lack of inspection sticker.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You couldn't get pulled over in a Focus (ST or no) if you crushed the skulls of 2,000 white babies with those stock 18" alloy wheels. The very idea that a ford hatchback would approach the speed limit, let alone exceed it, is antithetical to everything Americans know about automobiles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fyodor posted:

You couldn't get pulled over in a Focus (ST or no) if you crushed the skulls of 2,000 white babies with those stock 18" alloy wheels. The very idea that a ford hatchback would approach the speed limit, let alone exceed it, is antithetical to everything Americans know about automobiles.

Heh, I got my first speeding ticket in well over a decade in my ST. I was kind of bummed (and $245 poorer too).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

We were gonna go test drive them today but the ice storm had other ideas.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PaintVagrant posted:

What is the advertised price on them? I was looking last night and found quite a few semi local to me for 18/19 with nav and recaros.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

What is the advertised price on them? I was looking last night and found quite a few semi local to me for 18/19 with nav and recaros.

All over the place. The realistic prices are in the 20-22 range I guess. For a 2015 with all the late year incentives I am not willing to pay more than 19-19.5 OTD.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PaintVagrant posted:

All over the place. The realistic prices are in the 20-22 range I guess. For a 2015 with all the late year incentives I am not willing to pay more than 19-19.5 OTD.

Where are you located? The prices I saw were all 2015s, but in more rural areas. Didn't seem to matter if it was base or optioned, advertised prices were all under 20.

I doubt if 19.5 OTD is possible though, since that puts actual purchase price more in the 17.5 or less range.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Where are you located? The prices I saw were all 2015s, but in more rural areas. Didn't seem to matter if it was base or optioned, advertised prices were all under 20.

I doubt if 19.5 OTD is possible though, since that puts actual purchase price more in the 17.5 or less range.

Metro detroit. Our tax rate is ~6% and I have an A-Z pin (ford employee family pricing I guess). Besides taxes and "delivery charges" and that sort of gobbledygook, 2k seems a high differential from sticker to OTD price. But its been a long time since I bought a car at a dealer, and that was a used car. I may have big haggler dreams that wont be fulfilled.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PaintVagrant posted:

Metro detroit. Our tax rate is ~6% and I have an A-Z pin (ford employee family pricing I guess). Besides taxes and "delivery charges" and that sort of gobbledygook, 2k seems a high differential from sticker to OTD price. But its been a long time since I bought a car at a dealer, and that was a used car. I may have big haggler dreams that wont be fulfilled.

Even at 17.5, 6% is basically a grand. Another 500 in bullshit isn't too hard to imagine.

Fuckin go for it though. 19-19.5 OTD for a FiST would be loving tits.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Even at 17.5, 6% is basically a grand. Another 500 in bullshit isn't too hard to imagine.

Fuckin go for it though. 19-19.5 OTD for a FiST would be loving tits.

Gave it a long drive, decided for sure it wasn't for me. Talked price just for shits, they said they wouldn't go lower than 22k OTD for a base model, which is basically retail - incentives and not a good price. I said "cool call me if something changes" and left. Not confident they will contact me, but its academic at this point. As I mentioned before, clutch and trans feel is the killer for me, just doesn't feel right. I was legitimately worried about money-shifting the test drive car, finding 4th felt weird. Like the dogleg isnt 100% parallel to the length of the car.

Oh well, the hot hatch search adventure continues :D In the meantime my FA5 got sideswiped this morning :smith: But I suppose if they write me a check I might just live with the crease and use the money for suspension mods :unsmith:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

PaintVagrant posted:

Gave it a long drive, decided for sure it wasn't for me. Talked price just for shits, they said they wouldn't go lower than 22k OTD for a base model, which is basically retail - incentives and not a good price. I said "cool call me if something changes" and left. Not confident they will contact me, but its academic at this point. As I mentioned before, clutch and trans feel is the killer for me, just doesn't feel right. I was legitimately worried about money-shifting the test drive car, finding 4th felt weird. Like the dogleg isnt 100% parallel to the length of the car.

Oh well, the hot hatch search adventure continues :D In the meantime my FA5 got sideswiped this morning :smith: But I suppose if they write me a check I might just live with the crease and use the money for suspension mods :unsmith:

I don't have PMs, but I've got several aftermarket parts for mine I took off in prep for trading it in. Intake Spacer, TPS silicone intake tube, Eibach Sportlines.

Local VW dealer has a R in white I like, and now they have a non-vw aquisition discount and a built in discount on the car to bring it down to 36 and some change. I need to see if it has any options on it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

I don't have PMs, but I've got several aftermarket parts for mine I took off in prep for trading it in. Intake Spacer, TPS silicone intake tube, Eibach Sportlines.

Local VW dealer has a R in white I like, and now they have a non-vw aquisition discount and a built in discount on the car to bring it down to 36 and some change. I need to see if it has any options on it.

Shoot me an email with mileage/price on the sportlines if you dont mind, paint.vagrant@gmail.com

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Done.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Since a deer recently facilitated my beloved '13 Speed3's passage to heaven, and also due to the fact that it held its value extremely well, I've been shopping for a replacement. I test drove a '16 Fiesta ST and a '16 Focus ST back to back. The Fiesta drove fine, but felt small for what I need. I appreciated the Focus's larger interior volume, although sitting in the Recaros felt like dropping into a bucket. I wonder if I didn't have them adjusted properly or something. Both felt very solid, and their clutches were substantially smoother and more forgiving than my Speed3. I still stalled that thing out every few weeks even after driving it for 2 years. I wanted to test drive an Ecoboost manual Mustang, but none were on the lot, and so I ended up test driving a '16 Mustang GT PP. Clutch was closer to but still smoother than on my Speed 3. I then tested an FR-S, and while it was fun, just wouldn't work for me as a daily driver. Then a '16 GTI. My favorite of the bunch. Probably the best of the lot to be sitting in. Smooth shifting, and extremely smooth clutch. Despite it's apparently underrated numbers, and the Speed3's driveline losses vs. paper power, the GTI just didn't feel as fast as the Speed3. None of the hatches kick you in the pants like the Speed3 does when you hit 3000 rpms, though.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Pic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AvesPKS posted:

Since a deer recently facilitated my beloved '13 Speed3's passage to heaven, and also due to the fact that it held its value extremely well, I've been shopping for a replacement. I test drove a '16 Fiesta ST and a '16 Focus ST back to back. The Fiesta drove fine, but felt small for what I need. I appreciated the Focus's larger interior volume, although sitting in the Recaros felt like dropping into a bucket. I wonder if I didn't have them adjusted properly or something. Both felt very solid, and their clutches were substantially smoother and more forgiving than my Speed3. I still stalled that thing out every few weeks even after driving it for 2 years. I wanted to test drive an Ecoboost manual Mustang, but none were on the lot, and so I ended up test driving a '16 Mustang GT PP. Clutch was closer to but still smoother than on my Speed 3. I then tested an FR-S, and while it was fun, just wouldn't work for me as a daily driver. Then a '16 GTI. My favorite of the bunch. Probably the best of the lot to be sitting in. Smooth shifting, and extremely smooth clutch. Despite it's apparently underrated numbers, and the Speed3's driveline losses vs. paper power, the GTI just didn't feel as fast as the Speed3. None of the hatches kick you in the pants like the Speed3 does when you hit 3000 rpms, though.

They are meant to feel linear, the boost comes on very early. A tune and DP puts them over 300whp.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

They are meant to feel linear, the boost comes on very early. A tune and DP puts them over 300whp.

The lack of boost gauge was very disconcerting, coming from the Speed3 where I always had to be careful not to mash the gas before 3000 rpms. Such a pleasure to drive, though. Just a really nice place to sit.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 2, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
GTIs are fragile enough without trying to bump up the power - I definitely wouldn't be doing that at all let alone within the warranty period.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I must be hosed since I did that with <1000mi on it. 6000mi later and we're fine.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you don't mind tuning, look at the veloster still. They're going under $20k and a basic tune is adding 40hp/40ftlbs. It isn't that hard with a tune, downpipe, intercooler placement to be in the 250hp at the wheel range. Stock tune is on 87. This would give you a more forceful feel like your mazda 3. The stock handling and tires are pretty garbage but pierce motorsports has some relatively easy upgrades to make it feel ok.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Christobevii3 posted:

If you don't mind tuning, look at the veloster still. They're going under $20k and a basic tune is adding 40hp/40ftlbs. It isn't that hard with a tune, downpipe, intercooler placement to be in the 250hp at the wheel range. Stock tune is on 87. This would give you a more forceful feel like your mazda 3. The stock handling and tires are pretty garbage but pierce motorsports has some relatively easy upgrades to make it feel ok.

This is so stupid I can't help but think it's a troll.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A surgy motor in a light platform? The Veloster comes with such poo poo tires that just changing them in one review went from .8g to .9g instantly.

Link to tune and what is required: http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/Hyundai+Veloster+Turbo+Stage+1.5+Tune

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think the veloster turbo is a really cool looking car on the outside but once you get in and drive it feels like an Accent. They didn't even try to make it look "hot" on the inside and the gearshift feels as dead as my wife's Jetta. The engine noise sounds like an accent too. It felt like every lovely rental car I've ever driven. I was really disappointed.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Edit: I had no complaints about the interior of the (leather, heated seats, info tainment nav) Veloster turbo I test drove, and for someone who regularly drove a sedan with an Iron Duke, I couldn't call it slow.

When I test drove the Veloster two and a half years ago, my main complaint was with the rear window. It felt like looking through this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got the factory Hyundai "performance" exhaust on mine and it does a decent amount towards not making the car sound like a Corolla. Canada only had 3 trim packages when I bought mine and all of them were decently appointed, we didn't get any of the stripper models until now I think.

The fully loaded turbo model feels pretty nice inside, having driven an elantra as a rental while the dealer kept loving mine up, I can say it's a nice step up in feel and design in the Veloster. The shifter felt fine for me, not spectacular but decent enough for a cable shift.

Seriously, tires practically transform the car. The oem ones are downright dangerous. Handling is ok, you'll still have fun but there's definitely better out there. The hatch area is huge and it's a very practical car, the 3rd door is really drat useful for people and for loading things into the rear seats.

E: rear visibility - without the backup camera, hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you have only driven the turbo model the R-spec and Rally improved the shifting, steering ratios, and stiffened up the suspension. it really isn't fair to only drive the VT and say it is a elantra without trying the others first. Tuned up and what not it probably will not be 100% as fast as a mazda speed 3 but the surgery turbo will make it feel fast versus the smoothness of the ST. I had the same issues with the fiesta (too small) and focus (expensive and same turn ratio as my long bed chevy). It is worth a look at least.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

If you have only driven the turbo model the R-spec and Rally improved the shifting, steering ratios, and stiffened up the suspension. it really isn't fair to only drive the VT and say it is a elantra without trying the others first. Tuned up and what not it probably will not be 100% as fast as a mazda speed 3 but the surgery turbo will make it feel fast versus the smoothness of the ST. I had the same issues with the fiesta (too small) and focus (expensive and same turn ratio as my long bed chevy). It is worth a look at least.

Focus ST is the same price as an MS3 and a mere 3 feet longer turning radius. You can't be serious.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 3, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

fyodor posted:

Focus ST is the same price as an MS3 and a mere 3 feet longer turning radius. You can't be serious.

Dude's talking up the idea of throwing thousands of dollars away "tuning" a loving Veloster, he's a literal retard.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Dude's talking up the idea of throwing thousands of dollars away "tuning" a loving Veloster, he's a literal retard.

It is like $2000-2500 for a tune and required parts on a car that is had under $20k. I'm just saying it is an option worth looking at if he was considering the fiesta st since the problems with the fiesta st interior size and comfort wise are resolved in the veloster. Having a 40ft turn radius sucks in cities?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Christobevii3 posted:

It is like $2000-2500 for a tune and required parts on a car that is had under $20k. I'm just saying it is an option worth looking at if he was considering the fiesta st since the problems with the fiesta st interior size and comfort wise are resolved in the veloster. Having a 40ft turn radius sucks in cities?

If you are comparing one brand new car as is to another brand new car that you have to gently caress with in order to even start to approach the other one then that's kind of a big deal. Especially comparing something like the interior of a GTI to a Veloster, the guy is obviously talking about living with a vehicle and is beyond numbers.
If the GTI is light on power then what you really need is a Golf R :getin:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

If you are comparing one brand new car as is to another brand new car that you have to gently caress with in order to even start to approach the other one then that's kind of a big deal.

This is really common in the hot hatch segment though.

"Well you see, the GTI is clearly superior to X because if you chip the GTI it's" :fuckoff:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'm say it is an option he should check out if he was looking at the fiesta st and the sizing was a problem. The veloster turbo unless it gets a irs and the 2.0L from the sonota isn't going to compete with a focus st or gti in power or handling without upgrades. But for an everyday vehicle compared to the fiesta st with pretty much the same price why not go look at it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Never understood the turning radius thing. Tons of cars have a lovely turning radius (Evo comes to mind) but still can handle amazingly well. If you have to 4 point turn coming out of your driveway, ok, I could see that. But nothing is that bad.

Also, don't buy a Veloster. See: Bajaha's thread.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Never understood the turning radius thing. Tons of cars have a lovely turning radius (Evo comes to mind) but still can handle amazingly well. If you have to 4 point turn coming out of your driveway, ok, I could see that. But nothing is that bad.

Also, don't buy a Veloster. See: Bajaha's thread.

The Evo thing made me laugh. So short lock-to-lock so it's not like they couldn't have gotten the turning radius down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I live in a dense urban area (city of Boston) with parallel street parking and while I don't like the turning circle on the FoST, you definitely get used to it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Christobevii3 posted:

I'm say it is an option he should check out if he was looking at the fiesta st and the sizing was a problem. The veloster turbo unless it gets a irs and the 2.0L from the sonota isn't going to compete with a focus st or gti in power or handling without upgrades. But for an everyday vehicle compared to the fiesta st with pretty much the same price why not go look at it?

I rode (as usual) in my coworker's Turbo Velo today on the way to lunch. He laughed at me telling him about your assertion it's a hot hatch. He wanted me to make sure to tell you "Haha, this thing isn't fast and it'll never feel fast. It gets decent gas mileage and has an awful head unit and ride."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I'm going to go test drive a Focus ST again. I'm haggling with some dealerships on GTI pricing so I figured I might as well. One question: should sitting in the Recaros feel like I'm sitting in a bucket? Only thing I didn't like about the Focus ST, and I'm hoping I just didn't adjust them properly, although I'm afraid this won't be the case.