Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

tl;dr: I'm 30 and just got married and all I want to do is play with LEGO pls help

Sorry, the only help is getting Shuttle Adventure or Shuttle Expedition. (Expedition was the same kit, but had some redesigns to strengthen the set) Or Space Shuttle Discovery.

They're proper space shuttles, and their piece:price ratio was proper. Shuttle Adventure cost $20 less than the current Spaceport, had more than twice as many pieces, and was much larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Aww, I can't go buy a "better" version of a gift my wife just gave me! That would end this marriage before we even have a proper excuse to buy tons more LEGO kids.

I think I'll see if I can get that Ferrari F40, though. Or the Architecture studio kit.

EDIT: I finally remembered the name of that awesome Ice Planet spaceship my parents got me for Christmas one year, the Deep Freeze Defender. That was so sweet.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 3, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pyroclastic posted:

Seems dependent on the series. I remember like series 3 appearing in Seattle-area Fred Meyer stores before anywhere else. But lately I think they've been hitting Europe earliest. Once they start showing up in the UK, they'll start showing up in the US within a couple weeks, but when certain store chains get them depends on their distributors and their buyers. My Target seems to get them earliest now, and our Fred Meyer has an idiot for a toy buyer, so they get them very late now, if at all (for like series 6, they got so many boxes that there were still dozens of unsold minifigs 8 months later).

Just guess in' you in Seattle like me? I hit up Target and Fred Myer for minifigures on the regular now.
Reason I ask is if either of us see something we could alert the other. :)

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Apollodorus posted:

tl;dr: I'm 30 and just got married and all I want to do is play with LEGO pls help

I hope you have an amazing wife like mine, she actively supports my silly toy habit and encourages me to spend to much on toys, shoot she bought me MetalBeard's Sea Cow for my birthday this year.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
Finished the 1st floor of the Firehouse (bags 1-3 anyway). Ecto-1 does fit in the doors cleanly, but it won't fit completely lengthwise once Janine's desk is added. Some simple modification may be needed once complete.

This thing is going to be huge once finished.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bellevue store had at least 3 firehouses left as of 6:30pm. Also for what it's worth the guy said Series 15 would be early Feb.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The new Batmobile was a fun build and it looks pretty cool and distinctive from the other ones I have. The canopy pieces that are arranged to lift and rotate apart are a particular standout that I would like to see in another color for MOCs. The front with what I guess is he air intake is also pretty cool, although above that the obligatory stud shooters stick out a bit much for me.

Why does a forklift need flick fires?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bought and put together WALL-E as a little reward to myself for not going nuts during the holiday season at work and goddamn he's so adorable I really can't stand it.

EDIT:The call of robots is growing a little too strong. I got back in just for Star Wars but goddamn I'm strangely interested in Nexo Knights.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 3, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I want to like Nexo Knights. I kinda do, but (and this sounds silly because, toys) they seem just a hair too cartoony for me.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Feenix posted:

I want to like Nexo Knights. I kinda do, but (and this sounds silly because, toys) they seem just a hair too cartoony for me.

I think that's the point, right? It's a line made mostly for kids, but it has some appeal to us adults too.

I mean, Ninjago and Chima are also pretty cartoony if you ask me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zodack posted:

I think that's the point, right? It's a line made mostly for kids, but it has some appeal to us adults too.

Oh no, I know. I'm saying, I kind of have a line I draw in the sand about what Lego appeal to me. All the ones you mentioned don't, so much. I don't hate them or think they are stupid. They just don't call to me. :)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zodack posted:

Yeah I don't much like them either.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Feenix posted:

Just guess in' you in Seattle like me? I hit up Target and Fred Myer for minifigures on the regular now.

About 45 minutes south, barring traffic, but close enough for Lego alerts!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Nexo appeals to me more than Chima or Ninjago - I never even considered buying those - but even then Nexo seems only worth it to me for the minifigs and the ultimate ones so far have been a letdown from the reviews.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So using brickset, I have discovered that the best value for dollar for pieces is Tower Bridge for 7c a piece, and then like 4 of the modular building sets, floating at 7.7-8.8c a piece (also the Ghostbusters Firehouse) at 8.6c a piece.

Hard to argue with those prices to build up a lot of cool bricks, but gently caress my wallet.

Finally, I built this little guy last week, but I'm having a hard time building a solid stand for it. The balance point is right where I am holding it with my fingers. Any ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

CADPAT posted:

So using brickset, I have discovered that the best value for dollar for pieces is Tower Bridge for 7c a piece, and then like 4 of the modular building sets, floating at 7.7-8.8c a piece (also the Ghostbusters Firehouse) at 8.6c a piece.

Hard to argue with those prices to build up a lot of cool bricks, but gently caress my wallet.

Keep in mind the Tower Bridge piece count heavily leans towards tiny wedge pieces that aren't particularly versatile.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Yeah I noticed that, but tiny wedge pieces are good for making curvy space ships in a Star Wars fleet.

I've also been trying to make a UCS Star Destroyer out of parts, I can get 80% of the part types at sub 150$. The remaining 20% (16x1 technics, 16x6 plates) is like 800$ so I'm looking for sets with a lot of grey plates and wings.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Seattle Lego Crew! I'm over in Redmond, so lemme know if you're ever looking for anything as well

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
My only problem with Nexo Knights is that with all the new trans orange parts in the sets, they lack the ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't been back into Lego for too long (I've been picking up the odd set here and there to build, Lego Movie brought me back in, and then my city got a Lego store last July) but looking at past themes, is Nexo Knights the most :rock:METAL:rock: set that Lego has made?

I'm just happy that when the Lego store opened, my fiancee has gotten into Lego as well. She mostly picks up the modular buildings and winter village sets, and is planning on picking up some of the City sets to fill out her towns with, but any excuse to buy more Lego to play with is fine by me. She got into it mostly through the Lego games and Lego Star Wars cartoons.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gann Jerrod posted:

My only problem with Nexo Knights is that with all the new trans orange parts in the sets, they lack the ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW!

Oh man, I remember they had those in Ice Planet 2002! Orange goggles, orange snowshoes, and ORANGE CHAINSAW.

I've decided I'm going to get myself another LEGO set in a week or so, after I take my first PhD exam. I think I want to get either the F-35-esque blue jet, the Ferrari F-40, or the Architecture Studio. The Tower Bridge looks like a good brick-per-dollar buy, but I don't especially like the building and it's also not minifig scale and I can't justify getting something I'd only use for MOCs when all of my childhood LEGO is still in bins several hundred miles away.

Alternatively, I could just poke around on Bricklink and try to complete my BLACKTRON II collection, a mere 23 years after I started.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
edit: double post

So why not use this one to add that the other kit I really want right now is the Red Five X-Wing, which - unlike the Millennium Falcon - looks to be actually affordable for me, a grad student, presuming I REALLY want it.

When the first Star Wars LEGO kits came out, I was in 7th-8th grade and a) too old for LEGO, or so I thought, and b) feeling a bit betrayed by the licensed kits as I'd always thought that one's own imagination and creativity was supposed to be the main theme. Now I wish I'd saved up $$ in HS to get that Millennium Falcon kit, because gently caress if I'm paying four digits for a LEGO kit even if I did have a real job.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 3, 2016

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

edit: double post

So why not use this one to add that the other kit I really want right now is the Red Five X-Wing, which - unlike the Millennium Falcon - looks to be actually affordable for me, a grad student, presuming I REALLY want it.

When the first Star Wars LEGO kits came out, I was in 7th-8th grade and a) too old for LEGO, or so I thought, and b) feeling a bit betrayed by the licensed kits as I'd always thought that one's own imagination and creativity was supposed to be the main theme. Now I wish I'd saved up $$ in HS to get that Millennium Falcon kit, because gently caress if I'm paying four digits for a LEGO kit even if I did have a real job.

You did yourself a favor, all the first gen Lego star wars sets suck in comparison the modern remakes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They've even got a lot better in the last 5 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything Lego has done in the last 5 years is better.

Except maybe the quality of their plastic. But set design is the best it's ever been.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

Everything Lego has done in the last 5 years is better.

Except maybe the quality of their plastic. But set design is the best it's ever been.

In what ways have you noticed a decline in the quality of the plastic? The only thing I can think of is the metallic tiles often don't have a uniform color but otherwise I can't think of any other quality issues.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My only real complaint these days is 1x1 cheeses invariably develop hairline fractures and lose clutch power :argh:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

You did yourself a favor, all the first gen Lego star wars sets suck in comparison the modern remakes.

Well good!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More cracks in pieces and some new bricks don't grip as well as old new bricks. The minifig series have had quality issues too.. I have a Wiggum who's head refuses to stay on and I know other people have had that issue too.

The plastic seems to show play wear easier, like scratches and dents.

Basically an old man complaining they don't make stuff like they used to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The wizard torso and "legs" barely stay together.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am not too surprised that the minifig pieces would suffer quality issues, I kinda expect that considering the large number of single run pieces used for the minifig series. I have not collected many at all, I have about a dozen, most are duplicates of figs I don't want since I need to learn to feel up the bags :effort:.

I have only had one defective piece, it was a control panel that was smashed and Lego sent a replacement. A second set had the right piece in the wrong color and I didn't bother order a replacement. I don't remember ever having a missing or defective piece when I was little.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

Well good!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The blind-bag minifigs are all made in China too, IIRC, which is known to produce inferior quality elements.

Regardless, they're still miles ahead of any competitor products. Even Mega Blocks, their nearest rival, has absolutely poo poo quality in comparison.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Mega Blocks is poo poo and has always been poo poo.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Saw on a Ghostbusters fan site that Brickset have announced they've found out another GB set will be released this year, possibly tied in with the new film.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
As much as Star Wars Legos have improved, the original ones had those chrome light saber hilts. Those things loving rule, and these new ones just aren't the same.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

WRT quality: I have had several pieces from the Empire State Building architecture set that developed cracks after just a few weeks sitting on my desk.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
As tempting as the chrome light sabers hilts sound, I am hesitant to want any chrome Lego pieces, all of my chrome bits have lost their luster.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

That super expensive Batman Tumbler set that's retiring soon, is it a good build? Considering picking either that up or the Kwik-E-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I enjoyed it. It's a lot of black-on-black-on-black, but it's a very faithful reproduction. Bit fragile though.