Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mikl posted:

Wierd request of the day: is there an app that works as a speedometer, with audio cues that would help me keep a steady speed? I would set a speed, let's say 10 mph, and when I get below 9.5 mph it says "speed up" and when I get above 10.5 mph it says "slow down".

My 20 seconds on the play store got me to this, though it sounds like you should just be using your cruise control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My 20 seconds on the play store got me to this, though it sounds like you should just be using your cruise control.

Sounds like he is trying to pace himself on his bike. They make dedicated devices for that FYI.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FunOne posted:

Sounds like he is trying to pace himself on his bike. They make dedicated devices for that FYI.

This - I'm trying to pace my runs a little better. I know there are dedicated devices for this kind of things, but I don't want to spend money on it so I was wondering if there's a free app that does this.

It would need to be quite precise though, we're taking plus-minus a half mph here, I don't know if a phone is precise enough.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

TwistedNails posted:

I have nieces and a nephew around that age and they all use facebook and snapchat a lot more than Twitter. Instagram was huge for younger kids until snapchat came around, now I always see them using that app.
Yeah if you can get snapchat to work with through root, Instagram is enabled through it (at least the filters), through snapprefs and xposed

XIII posted:

That might explain why I've never seen the much talked about battery drain. I always turn that off, simply because none of my friends care where I'm sending messages from, so why bother

There is some such site (easily robbed houses), that lets you see what people are on vacation and that have location reporting on, so you can easily rob them!

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 28, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I prefer the mobile website version of Facebook because I can do everything on Facebook without having to install two separate apps.

Question: on my older phone I loved Dashclock, because it showed summer really useful information to me at a glance and the shortcuts were great.

Now that I have a bigger phone: holy poo poo. A 4x2 widget is a huge loving waste of space on your home screen.

Is there anything like Dashclock that can display the same info with the same kind of shortcuts in a 4x1 (or smaller) widget?

Dashclock doesn't allow you to resize the widget, and I even tried "better Dashclock". It does the same poo poo but does allow you to resize widget: but everything gets cut off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can install an alternative launcher like Nova then adjust the grid size - the stock that the Google launcher uses is ridiculous on larger devices.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I used to have a camera app on my iPhone which would overlay a picture from my camera roll, so that I could frame the new picture perfectly for a pseudo before and after. I can't seem to find it and searching through the magnitude of camera apps is starting to annoy me.

Any recommendations?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
What's the best way now a days to figure out what's keeping your phone awake? My wife and I both have Samsung Note 4's and the last few days she said that her battery has been significantly more drained by the middle of the day. I asked her to send me a shot of her battery meter and am curious if there's a go to method to find out.

Not rooted.

Hers:

Mine:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

:stare:

I don't know that there's a method beyond uninstalling things that might be causing a problem but let's be real, it can't be too hard to track that one down.

The obvious first step is rebooting.

Also the comic sans system font, classic Samsung.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

:stare:

I don't know that there's a method beyond uninstalling things that might be causing a problem but let's be real, it can't be too hard to track that one down.

The obvious first step is rebooting.

I was gonna say, first step is changing the system font.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

She installs a lot of apps. But she claims that she hasn't installed anything new in some time.

LastInLine posted:

I've just stopped questioning some of her decisions. Whatever.

Yeah I had her reboot. I told her facebook sucks but she doesn't believe me. So I'm going to poke around the phone tonight to see if anything stands out and maybe what app used most battery today. I was just hoping there might be an app out now that can tell you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

She installs a lot of apps. But she claims that she hasn't installed anything new in some time.

I've just stopped questioning some of her decisions. Whatever.

Yeah I had her reboot. I told her facebook sucks but she doesn't believe me. So I'm going to poke around the phone tonight to see if anything stands out and maybe what app used most battery today. I was just hoping there might be an app out now that can tell you.

It's a pickle for sure. It looks like either it's a permissions issue (something needs access to something that's being denied and it's just hammering it) or maybe a broken sync somewhere. It could also be something that starts in the background so it might be difficult to just track after a reboot.

If there are too many apps to track that she has which you don't, then the next best choice is to look at the recently updated list in the Play Store to see what's updated in the last week or so, maybe something there broke it?

At the very least just waiting for the constant wake to appear then looking at the Recents list in the app switcher might point to the offending app (which would hopefully be the last thing she activated). If I had to point at stuff I'd look for third party apps that access services (like maybe a Twitter client run amok) or something that would obviously have a need to sync regularly. Lastly something that would need to access a service in the background, like a GPS app. I mean, if it's keeping the device awake when you're moving in and out of other apps it would need to be doing something that isn't ephemeral (like, say, accessing the camera). It would have to be trying to access a data connection or some sensor.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you can get into Developer Options, looking at Running Services would be a good place to start

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is there a calculator for Android devices that are not on Marshmallow that doesn't suck?

The default calculator for Marshmallow Nexuses actually sort of qualifies, because they finally added back the degree-mode and it can deal with calculations with many significant figures (for example, actually returning 720 instead of 0 when fed with (1015+7.2-1015)*100). I'm sure it falls down in other places, but even that puts it ahead of most default calculators. It can be sideloaded onto other Marshmallow phones, which is goodish (put it on the Play Store already Google), but Lollipop stuff not so much.

EDIT: On that note, if any of you know of a good place to find formulas that shouldn't break calculators but frequently do it'd be much appreciated.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 30, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Is there a calculator for Android devices that are not on Marshmallow that doesn't suck?

The default calculator for Marshmallow Nexuses actually sort of qualifies, because they finally added back the degree-mode and it can deal with calculations with many significant figures (for example, actually returning 720 instead of 0 when fed with (1015+7.2-1015)*100). I'm sure it falls down in other places, but even that puts it ahead of most default calculators. It can be sideloaded onto other Marshmallow phones, which is goodish (put it on the Play Store already Google), but Lollipop stuff not so much.

EDIT: On that note, if any of you know of a good place to find formulas that shouldn't break calculators but frequently do it'd be much appreciated.

WolframAlpha?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There's an emulator for TI 89/92 calculators. You need to get the actual ROM, but it works just like the physical thing if that's your boat.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Was looking at the Google News & Weather app on my 6P and noticed it hadn't updated in the last few days. Uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it hasn't been able to pull down the initial sync.

Is this a common problem, or have I screwed things up on my end somehow?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good app to give a notification based on when a package is delivered? Amazon's free 5-8 day shipping somehow turned into two days, and I won't be home when my package is delivered.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Deliveries Package Tracker

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Before you drop $5 on the pro version, know that it doesn't work with Amazon two-factor auth logins, and won't for the foreseeable future.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just need it this once so I can have a friend pick up the package, so the free version is just fine.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

hooah posted:

There's an emulator for TI 89/92 calculators. You need to get the actual ROM, but it works just like the physical thing if that's your boat.

Droid48 is a pretty good emulator for old HP48 series calculators; apparently some people have problems on 5.x with it, but its fine on my nexus 6, on 6.x

(Insert arguments about stacks, RPN, and HP vs TI here!)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

I just need it this once so I can have a friend pick up the package, so the free version is just fine.

Amazon's Android app gives you delivery notifications.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

Amazon's Android app gives you delivery notifications.

There's an option on the site somewhere to have it text message you when packages ship, are delivered, etc. It's been long enough since I enabled it I can't remember exactly how I did it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm looking for an app that when I get a text message with an address in it I can click it and it will open up in maps.

Similar to how when a phone number appears you can click it and call it right away.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm looking for an app that when I get a text message with an address in it I can click it and it will open up in maps.

Similar to how when a phone number appears you can click it and call it right away.

If you have Marshmallow you can bring up Now on Tap, it spots addresses in whatever you're doing and directs them to Maps.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Now on Tap doesn't detect any of the addresses that are shown.

Here what the look like in my messages.

It is an alert service that texts me whenever there is a fire/police emergency in the state.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The traffic ones aren't addresses and the mobile Maps app doesn't like vague cross roads. I'd wager that the weird formatting on the last two prevents the algorithm from seeing the address listed.

For shits and giggles I pasted the last two in a standard Google & Maps search and they can't really figure it out either

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 30, 2015

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Anyone ever had issues with the Firefox app and Google searching within the browser? I get some input lag while it pops up suggestions. Disabling the only addon I have (uBlock) didn't seem to do anything.

I tested it out on Chrome and the browser that came with the phone and searching worked just fine. I mean, I guess I could use some other way to Google but it just really bothers me that Firefox isn't working.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm looking for an audio equalizer app, specifically for Spotify because theirs sucks, but system-wide would be fine as well. Any good candidates?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Hey, so whatever happened to Google Play Music gaining podcast management? I haven't heard anything about it since they announced it, the beginning of December?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Karthe posted:

Hey, so whatever happened to Google Play Music gaining podcast management? I haven't heard anything about it since they announced it, the beginning of December?

They're too busy making another messaging app since they decided they don't like the two they already have.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Only open for uploading your podcasts since the end of October. User side isn't out yet, I guess they want a catalog of stuff available before opening it up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Karthe posted:

It'll just show up one day, knowing Google. They have a habit of doing that. Like when they announced family plans would be coming in a few months back in September, then never mentioned it again until they were introduced a few weeks ago.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So the Facebook app is giving me notifications that I have notifications, requiring me to open the app and see it is just a dumb event invite instead of just telling me that. It also constantly tells me I have an unread message when I don't.

Are there alternative apps or should I just pin a shortcut to the mobile site?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nexus6 posted:

just pin a shortcut to the mobile site

This

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

I don't really understand how the mobile site is so much better than the app. It can do virtually everything the app can do, and in some cases more (such as rotating photos you've uploaded). I need to look into Chrome notifications for Mobile Facebook and see how reliable that is and I may just ditch the app completely (or just use it for easy photo sharing).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

brc64 posted:

I don't really understand how the mobile site is so much better than the app.

The mobile site isn't a pile of poo poo. At best the Facebook app is tolerable. At worst it's...well, this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I need to look into Chrome notifications for Mobile Facebook and see how reliable that is and I may just ditch the app completely (or just use it for easy photo sharing).
They work perfectly for me and not at all for my friend which is about what I expect from both Google and Facebook :shrug: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The FB app works fine for me and has for years. Google Play Services uses 5-10 times as much battery as Facebook in Marshmallow.

Also I can't share photos/links to a Firefox mobile bookmark