Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thanks to GORF I bought Battlefield 4 the other night, I am glad as well, it;s a really cool game.
I am working through the campaign at the moment, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

peter gabriel posted:

Seems Ok to me

Not sure how a reasonable person would say no to that email.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

2DCAT posted:

Not sure how a reasonable person would say no to that email.

Yeah I don't get it

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Can someone explain why a charge-back is worse than getting a refund through CIG?

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Seems Ok to me

NEEDS MOR CAPS AN EXPLAMATION MAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ezekeel posted:

NEEDS MOR CAPS AN EXPLAMATION MAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in a zen like state when I wrote to them

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

HookedOnChthonics posted:

people were talking earlier about benchmarks for considering sc a success, some suggesting 85 on metacritic. i think that mark is overly demanding and furthermore completely arbitrary, and instead suggest sc be judged by the current market leader in persistent space-mmos with multicrew walk-around-your-ship functionality and planetside shooty bits and what not, star trek online. That has a 66 on metacritic, which i feel is a much more reasonable goal for star citizen.

I mean looking at crobert's history, it's clear we should grade the guy on some kind of curve :shobon:

Rebel Galaxy has 75, and Elite: Dangerous has 80. You are right that 85 is a bit high for a niche game, but 66 is not exactly a bar for excellence. And if Star Citizen can't beat Elite: Dangerous, citizens will commit seppuku.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Assuming it's not in direct response to a tweet you've made recently, with the way the creepers like Karl and Gryphon keep flipping out about your "open letter" to Sandi as well as running tattling to the community about you and others I wouldn't be surprised if it immediately got back to her and she's been getting increasingly mad about it ever since. It's not like they can do anything about it though, you're already probated for a substantial period of time so blocking you on twitter would be about the only "win" they can manage.

She's actually been incredibly polite to me with a recent CS request and I can't remember the last time I ever brought her up. So maybe it was awhile ago and I just didn't notice.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm on Team Sandi

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CrazyLoon posted:

And Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters. Best effing space game ever.

Protip if you haven't heard of this: Download this game now, it's absolutely FREE!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

That shield effect at the start does look pretty awesome. Time and again I see really good animation and rendering that went into Star Citizen, though I'm reminded of the e-mail from one of the artists saying that Chris Roberts likes to randomly reject previously-approved art assets and order the artists to do them over again, because he suddenly decided he didn't like them anymore.

I'm sorta hopeful that this kind of animation work makes it into a different game after Star Citizen collapses. Alternately, on the off chance that Star Citizen actually is released as an actual game with an open-PVP fuckyou universe, I'd happily hunt pubbies all day to see their pretty shields failing and their fancy ships disintegrating into scrap. If they didn't want players to randomly blow each other to hell, they shouldn't have made the explosions so beautiful :colbert:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Chin posted:

Re: Languages

Here is Chris talking about where they are with the languages in September 2015. He says they hired someone who knows Na'vi and Klingon and advised on Star Trek: Into Darkness which means it's probably Britton Watkins. Mr. Watkins is directing a documentary about constructed languages that looks pretty cool, and has already constructed a language for a movie he co-wrote so he seems well qualified.

That said it's curious that there's no mention of him being professionally engaged to construct a language for a $104 million dollar video game that I can find anywhere, so maybe it's the other person who knows Na'vi and Klingon and was a language consultant on Star Trek.

This is the dumbest thing. Nobody will be able to tell the difference between this and gibberish, so what's the loving point? Great use of backer money there Chris.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think I know why the ships jitter around like crazy, it's because the ships are breathing since as far as cryengine knows they're player entities

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm excited for updates on the fourth mocap studio.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of Sandi...

is that a whale joke? it should be

BMan posted:

This is the dumbest thing. Nobody will be able to tell the difference between this and gibberish, so what's the loving point? Great use of backer money there Chris.

you know the true believers will learn the language use it on mumble

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm excited for updates on the fourth mocap studio.

Mo' money, mocap

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Chin posted:

Re: Languages

Here is Chris talking about where they are with the languages in September 2015. He says they hired someone who knows Na'vi and Klingon and advised on Star Trek: Into Darkness which means it's probably Britton Watkins. Mr. Watkins is directing a documentary about constructed languages that looks pretty cool, and has already constructed a language for a movie he co-wrote so he seems well qualified.

That said it's curious that there's no mention of him being professionally engaged to construct a language for a $104 million dollar video game that I can find anywhere, so maybe it's the other person who knows Na'vi and Klingon and was a language consultant on Star Trek.

this stretch goal is one of the top goals I don't like because this is all about SQ42 and I dont care about SQ42. I just hope that the option to shot your commanding officer on the head is still there.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

is that a whale joke? it should be

pretty sure "could be worse..." refers to jittering out of her seat, clipping through the bottom of the plane and falling to her death

only in the 'verse thankfully

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

I think I know why the ships jitter around like crazy, it's because the ships are breathing since as far as cryengine knows they're player entities
if the devs spent so much time to make your head bob from every step and due to cry engine, apply it to the ship when it becomes the player entity then :lol:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks to GORF I bought Battlefield 4 the other night, I am glad as well, it;s a really cool game.
I am working through the campaign at the moment, it's good.
I skipped the campaign entirely-- but it seems like it would be good way to learn the basics (weapons, bindings, interfaces, etc.)

Multiplayer is the real miracle-- let me know what you think once you check it out, Peter!

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I have had a Rift since day one and there is no way, noooo way this game can be ported to VR as it is, it is impossible.
If what people suspect is true and the long rear end animations when you enter a ship are there to hide the fact that your character becomes the ship then it never ever can be possible.

I raised an eyebrow when they announced they will be working on vr support for this. The ground work they have done re-rigging the player model will help toward getting a consistent view for VR, however, there will not be a suitable GPU to run it for at least a few years. The standard 2D client would need to be able to run around 180-200 fps to get the 90+ fps x2 render targets required for "presence". The only way around that is if Crytech have developed revolutionary instancing techniques in their engine. They would be far better off designing the meshes and UI for VR and leaving out actual hardware support until Squadron 42 releases.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

peter gabriel posted:

Seems Ok to me

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

I skipped the campaign entirely-- but it seems like it would be good way to learn the basics (weapons, bindings, interfaces, etc.)

Multiplayer is the real miracle-- let me know what you think once you check it out, Peter!

I will, I want to do the single player first as I haven't played anything like this since Black Ops 1 - I am really really bad at it ha ha

Ap0calyps3 posted:

I raised an eyebrow when they announced they will be working on vr support for this. The ground work they have done re-rigging the player model will help toward getting a consistent view for VR, however, there will not be a suitable GPU to run it for at least a few years. The standard 2D client would need to be able to run around 180-200 fps to get the 90+ fps x2 render targets required for "presence". The only way around that is if Crytech have developed revolutionary instancing techniques in their engine. They would be far better off designing the meshes and UI for VR and leaving out actual hardware support until Squadron 42 releases.

I used to play Far Cry 3 in VR and it was ok-ish, but SC has too many baked in animations that rip the camera from the player for it to even be considered for VR imo, and those seem to be Chris's favourite things ever

Yeah I am not even getting a reply I think, h aha

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 3, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ap0calyps3 posted:

There will never be a VR version. Period. End of story.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

D_Smart posted:

Honestly it seems like the vr announcement is just to ensure they have another excuse to push things back. Wouldn't shock me.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Sometimes I wonder if Derek can actually go a whole day in this thread without quoting his blog, saying "as I told before" or "^this. Period. End of story"

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Getting a competent dude to invent an alien language is the only cool aspect left in this entire train wreck of a game :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

I agree, if any of you havn't used a Rift then you have to understand that any time the camera is pulled away from your control you feel sick, very very sick.
So everytime you get out of bed (wtf) or get in a ship, or any other number of things you will feel physically unwell. It's a horrible feeling.
You can't just do those scenes where Gary Oldman is making a rousing speech, you cannot have camera pans like that, you'll throw up.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Can someone explain why a charge-back is worse than getting a refund through CIG?

Worse for the customer or worse for CIG?

Basically most places require you to try and get a refund from the company before you do a chargeback.

If a chargeback is successful CIG would not only lose the money the customer paid them they are also charged a fee by the credit card company. That fee can range from a couple of dollars to a hundred depending on what their chargeback/transaction ratio is.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE :tipshat:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Not that I disagree, VR looks like a hilarious "I wanna have that too :qq:" moment

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Pardon me if I don't take you for an authority on anything Derek. They actually had VR working for a while in earlier builds with a DK1.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Futures made of virtual insanity - now
Always seem to, be govern'd by this love we have
For useless, twisting, our new technology
Oh, now there is no sound - for we all live underground

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ap0calyps3 posted:

Pardon me if I don't take you for an authority on anything Derek. They actually had VR working for a while in earlier builds with a DK1.

I wonder why they stopped?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

serious norman posted:

Futures made of virtual insanity - now
Always seem to, be govern'd by this love we have
For useless, twisting, our new technology
Oh, now there is no sound - for we all live underground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:lol:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
chargebacks do not hurt you, per say. they do require a little-to-a-lot of wrangling with the cc company, but usually as long as you can show you attempted to get a refund a cc will go ahead with the chargeback. where it gets tricky as i understand is 'does the cc then tell cig you're asking for a chargeback' or do they simply issue the chargeback. if the former, cig can pull legal shenanigans, i think? im not too sure. I know i made sure to politely and calmly ask for a refund before trying a chargeback, so that i can at least tell the cc company 'yes i tried'.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of Sandi...

Last time she came here she was reduced to tears so yeah.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So, I'm guessing they don't know that this even exists? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DEREKSMART

Can someone report it please, because if I do, it will compromise my account because then they'll know what I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

:lol:

just start a chargeback

• Locked thread