Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
How do you guys use so much RAM? I have 16 and through normal use have never used more than 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ramdisk

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Windy posted:

How do you guys use so much RAM? I have 16 and through normal use have never used more than 8

Superfetching, 100 chrome tabs, photoshop, games, not shutting down for two or three months at a time

16GB is the poo poo, been riding that train for four years and never looked back.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Lord Windy posted:

VM's, lots of them.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Lord Windy posted:

Keeping both Firefox and Chome open with lots of tabs (Chrome is currently using ~4.5GB), leaving other stuff open like IDEA. For a while uTorrent would cause 3-5GB of RAM usage somehow. I've got 18GB used right now total.

I just don't like closing things I'm going to reopen a minute/a day later. And games are already hitting 6.5+GB of RAM usage, so 16GB is shrinking fast.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Keeping both Firefox and Chome open with lots of tabs (Chrome is currently using ~4.5GB), leaving other stuff open like IDEA. For a while uTorrent would cause 3-5GB of RAM usage somehow. I've got 18GB used right now total.

I just don't like closing things I'm going to reopen a minute/a day later. And games are already hitting 6.5+GB of RAM usage, so 16GB is shrinking fast.

24gb ram superiority mediocrity, never not piece your ram configuration together from random sticks you have lying aroung for reasons (and have it work well anyway)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm still doing fine on 4GB, outside of not being able to play games that require more. The only times I have more than maybe 5 or 6 tabs open in my browser is when I open every bookmarked thread on here, but I just read those in sequence and then close them. I can't even fathom what kind of browsing habits lead to having so many tabs open that you can see maybe half a favicon in each, like I see whenever some of my friends send me a screenshot of their browser window for whatever reason.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm still doing fine on 4GB, outside of not being able to play games that require more. The only times I have more than maybe 5 or 6 tabs open in my browser is when I open every bookmarked thread on here, but I just read those in sequence and then close them. I can't even fathom what kind of browsing habits lead to having so many tabs open that you can see maybe half a favicon in each, like I see whenever some of my friends send me a screenshot of their browser window for whatever reason.

I used a laptop with 4GB of ram too til two weeks ago when I got a new one. That low amount of RAM only prevented me from using multiple Windows virtual machines at once, no issues with lots of tabs.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HMS Boromir posted:

:stare: What games are you playing that don't cause your disk to thrash itself to death on 4 GB?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Literally everything I've tried to play so far except for Black Ops 3 which I tried during the free weekend and definitely couldn't run on 4 gigs. I expect a lot of open world stuff like your fars cry and your witchers wouldn't run on 4 gigs, but I also expect they wouldn't run on a Sandy Bridge Pentium either, so I'm just holding off on playing those until I get both a new CPU and more RAM.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 1, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MGSV, Dirt Rally and Rocket League are the most modern games I played and they ran just fine on 4GB. MGSV even ran the best out of those three.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
MGSV is insanely well optimized, I hear. I've got half a mind to pop my 9400 in when I get around to it just to dare the fox engine to perform badly.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Have a problem, hoping goons can help me decide on the best thing:

I've got a i5-3570k 3.4 quad core. I was having a few issues the other day with stuttering, obvious heat issues, etc. So I, unaware that every time you take off your heatsink you should re-do the thermal paste, took it off, cleaned it, put it back on (this is an Intel stock fan and stock thermal paste). That seemed to help, but heat was still an issue so I took it again to make sure it was set properly (I sort of messed it up when I first installed it so that was not an impossibility).

Bad move. Since then on full tilt it idles in the 90s and if I'm doing anything at all, all the heat sensor programs I run say it hits 105 C, when the thermal throttling kicks in (I have cross-compared BIOS numbers to software and as far as I can tell it's accurate). I haven't, oddly enough, had any issues like I was having before, but obviously I'm concerned about damaging the processor. I've ordered the full treatment- a Cooler Master 212, new thermal paste, thermal paste remover, the whole deal, and I even put 1 day shipping on them so they'll be here Tuesday. So it should be better than ever, I'm just concerned about the short term because I like my computer, obviously, I want to use it! I know it does its own work to protect itself, but here's the question:

I've got it under-clocked down to 2.0 ghz which gets its idle temp down near 75 and games make it creep up into the 90s. Should I be concerned about any of this, in the short-term? Obviously long term it will murder my processor, but I'm just trying to see if I can continue on my merry way until I fix things up on Tuesday without concern (also whether I can put it back to full power), or if I should batten down the hatches, not do any gaming on my PC for a few days (the worst possible scenario), or just go full panic and turn my PC off and put it witness protection to keep it away from bad things that will hurt it until Tuesday.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd take a couple of days off, but I doubt it will hurt it noticeably.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 3, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wipeout posted:

I'd take a couple of days off, but I doubt it will hurt it noticeably.

What would happen over the course of those couple of days? Is there some metallurgical process that occurs or is undone slowly at room temperature? This stuff fascinates me but my materials-science knowledge doesn't include anything like that, sorry if it's obvious to everyone else in the thread.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Subjunctive posted:

What would happen over the course of those couple of days? Is there some metallurgical process that occurs or is undone slowly at room temperature? This stuff fascinates me but my materials-science knowledge doesn't include anything like that, sorry if it's obvious to everyone else in the thread.

I think he was just suggesting not playing any games until he gets his new parts. Not to cool off, but not to push the CPU any harder. The goal is for nothing bad to happen to the CPU over those days.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Skandranon posted:

I think he was just suggesting not playing any games until he gets his new parts. Not to cool off, but not to push the CPU any harder. The goal is for nothing bad to happen to the CPU over those days.

Yep, exactly.

I guess that poster with the overheating problem is using a stock Intel heat sink, and the push pins are giving up the ghost. At least that's my guess.

I hope intel's next gen chips include a bigass cache model like the 5775c.

Also, are Intel sticking with external voltage regulators for next gen socketed chips, or will FIVR make a comeback?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 3, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
FIVR is rumored to be coming back post-Skylake.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 3, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

wipeout posted:

I hope intel's next gen chips include a bigass cache model like the 5775c.

Out of interest, how much performance gains are to be had from having a beefier cache on the CPU? And are gains found mainly in raw computation or also media handling or gaming?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skandranon posted:

Ah. That makes sense, but is oddly disappointing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DeaconBlues posted:

Out of interest, how much performance gains are to be had from having a beefier cache on the CPU? And are gains found mainly in raw computation or also media handling or gaming?

It's pretty significant for gaming, it's especially good for minimum frame rates which is the most important performance metric for gaming.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FIVR is rumored to be coming back post-Skylake.

Why was it taken out in the first place?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

to get more overclocking headroom by virtue of the FIVR not cooking itself

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Intel caring about overclockability? Doesn't sound like them at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm planning my new box and am looking for things like VT-d for graphics passthrough. The Intel ARK states that the Skylake K processors can do VT-d. Is that information trustworthy? I'm just watching videos about it on the side, and one guy says he's using Skylake processors and claims that the K's don't do VT-d.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

ARK is authoritative. The guy probably didn't flip the option in his BIOS.

As for the FIVR, the official reason is that it added to the package height and would have required motherboards to have a cut out at the bottom of the socket to make sure there was room for the FIVR sticking out the bottom of the CPU. Intel opted to have a thinner package with an off package regulator that didn't place extra burden on motherboard manufacturing.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I'd tend to believe the ARK, especially since Devil's Canyon "K" chips do vt-d

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

Intel caring about overclockability? Doesn't sound like them at all.
I'm pretty sure the bookkeepers were :shepicide:-making GBS threads their pants at the 0.00001% of revenue they lost to people being able to overclock non-K processors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sky Shadowing posted:

Have a problem, hoping goons can help me decide on the best thing:

I've got a i5-3570k 3.4 quad core. I was having a few issues the other day with stuttering, obvious heat issues, etc. So I, unaware that every time you take off your heatsink you should re-do the thermal paste, took it off, cleaned it, put it back on (this is an Intel stock fan and stock thermal paste). That seemed to help, but heat was still an issue so I took it again to make sure it was set properly (I sort of messed it up when I first installed it so that was not an impossibility).

Bad move. Since then on full tilt it idles in the 90s and if I'm doing anything at all, all the heat sensor programs I run say it hits 105 C, when the thermal throttling kicks in

That's probably because:

a) the stock cooler sucks the big one, and
b) actually re-fitting a stock Intel cooler after it has been used is difficult/not worth doing, because those push pins can easily snap off and make reseating impossible.

Honestly, if my CPU was spiking up so high in temps, I'd wait until the heatsink arrives and I've fixed it, but then I have other devices I could use to browse the web in the meantime.
It is of course up to you, but a 3570K is far from being out of date, so it would be a waste if it did die.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 3, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

HalloKitty posted:

That's probably because:

a) the stock cooler sucks the big one, and
b) actually re-fitting a stock Intel cooler after it has been used is difficult/not worth doing, because those push pins can easily snap off and make reseating impossible.

Honestly, if my CPU was spiking up so high in temps, I'd wait until the heatsink arrives and I've fixed it, but then I have other devices I could use to browse the web in the meantime.
It is of course up to you, but a 3570K is far from being out of date, so it would be a waste if it did die.

The intel stock cooler is perfectly fine for stock speeds and is not difficult at all to use. Most people simply have no idea how the drat push pins work and do poo poo like spin them all the way round. The push pins go one way when locked, and turn 90 degrees to release.

To release a stock intel cooler, turn pins 90 degrees and pull up. cooler will come right off. to reinstall just turn 90 degrees the opposite way to reset them. Its so loving easy.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005852.html

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I found the direction of the arrows on the pins to be the opposite of what I thought they meant (release vs lock) and it took me a minute. Still beats socket A though :v:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
If the stock Intel HSF is difficult to install then you must have idiot hands. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It seems like they presume you've used it before though. Do I turn it toward the arrow to lock or unlock? IIRC it's counter-clockwise to lock which makes no drat sense to me since it seems like everything else is righty tighty (with the exception of reverse threads - yes I know of them, no I don't care)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No, they don't, they presume people can read and are able to follow simple instructions.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

It seems like they presume you've used it before though. Do I turn it toward the arrow to lock or unlock? IIRC it's counter-clockwise to lock which makes no drat sense to me since it seems like everything else is righty tighty (with the exception of reverse threads - yes I know of them, no I don't care)

It comes with an instruction manual. I also posted them from Intel's site. If you can handle the picture menu at McDonalds you can do it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

It comes with an instruction manual. I also posted them from Intel's site. If you can handle the picture menu at McDonalds you can do it.

Well yeah, I went to the instruction manual and all was revealed but something just struck me funny about it. I can't remember what it was but it doesn't matter because I dumped that piece of junk for a nice Noctua, which made plenty of sense to install.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's an interesting disconnect. The stock cooler has four pegs to go in four holes. How many parts does your aftermarket cooler have, backplate and all?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Doesn't matter, they all went together in a way that I would expect :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I understand you don't understand putting things into holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

My boss led development of the PCU that controls FIVR; he gets foamy at the mouth and mutters 'politics and loving Haifa' every time an article about FIVR being removed comes up.

There's huge competition between the US and Israeli design teams, with FIVR tagging along with Haswell as part of the US team's turn at the new uarch. I imagine a very popular anti-FIVR argument is that it eats die space and thermal envelope room without contributing anything, in the sense of it takes the place of transistors that could be cache or additional logic.

Honestly makes sense to me for mobile platforms though, and it's a great piece of IP to own as a company.