Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
Most of my stuff has been pirated too--can't help it, not worth worrying about it.

December has been an amazing month for me. Releasing another book in a few days, hopefully I can create some ~~synergy~~.

One thing I've found that helps motivation is having a daily goal, and not thinking beyond that. So when one book is done, that doesn't mean my daily goal is done, it just means I have to start a new book. I write 2,500words/day 5 days a week without fail, and so far I've been able to put out 10 books this year. It's easier for me just to think about the small chunks and doing those small chunks every day instead of thinking 'this is going to be a whole book one day!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
This thread has motivated me to start writing again. Thanks goons! I've done 40k this past week. That's more than I've done in two years.

Bardeh posted:

If anyone wants to do some sort of accountability partnership thing with me (we add each other on Skype or whatever and just have a brief chat each day to tell the other person what we've done) that might help. PM me if you're interested. We could also do edit swaps or beta reads, things like that - something that's 'work' that'll get me to sit down and get into that mindset.

PM sent!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
40k in a week? nice!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My sales the last couple days have been poor. Here is hoping a new release right after Christmas will pick things up.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Yesterday was incredibly mediocre for me compared to last year. Barely a bump over a regular day in December. I hope the rest of you swam in Scrooge McDuck numbers.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My Decembers have been terrible every year.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had a great couple of days after a predictably slow 25th.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gave away 2k copies of old stuff. I have done gently caress all this month (apart from scheduling a promo for my smut collections between now and new years) and cannot wait for the wife to get back to work so I can do the same.

e: sold 10 and got 1k KENP over the last day as well.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 28, 2015

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

My newest release is NOT doing well, and I was just planning on going full-time, too. My advice: don't try to launch right around Christmas. Wait until after the new year. I think the competition is tough right now, and I probably didn't get decent also-boughts from my short free run. Still early days, so hopefully it turns around, but we'll see.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah I don't launch anything after, say, October-November.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Downloaded some smut for research, to kind of get an idea what makes a man sexy these days. Well, here's what I found makes a man sexy these days: the word "sexy". That's a relief I guess, but I highly doubt my gf will believe that I was honestly researching. Speaking of that, is it even worth targeting a male demographic with erotica?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We don't discuss content in this thread (it gets weird fast and the mods don't like it), but you're close to answering your own question. A little research into target audiences might confirm your answer.

Misread your question. Men do have an interest in smut but the vast majority of readers seem to be female. It's not so much a case of 'can you target men' as 'why would you if you want to get paid.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 28, 2015

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Omglosser posted:

Downloaded some smut for research, to kind of get an idea what makes a man sexy these days. Well, here's what I found makes a man sexy these days: the word "sexy". That's a relief I guess, but I highly doubt my gf will believe that I was honestly researching. Speaking of that, is it even worth targeting a male demographic with erotica?

There are ways to target both with the same story. I'll leave it at that.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We don't discuss content in this thread (it gets weird fast and the mods don't like it), but you're close to answering your own question. A little research into target audiences might confirm your answer.

Misread your question. Men do have an interest in smut but the vast majority of readers seem to be female. It's not so much a case of 'can you target men' as 'why would you if you want to get paid.'

Well, doing this for fun/secondary income leaves me with a bit of freedom to try different things. In my writing success fantasy I'd write a 50 Shades but for men. Although I realize most men in general would rather spend a few minutes watching videos towards their shame than reading. Well, time to repeatedly thrust my quivering fingers into the keyboard for several passionate hours!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Omglosser posted:

In my writing success fantasy I'd write a 50 Shades but for men.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Omglosser posted:

Although I realize most men in general would rather spend a few minutes watching videos towards their shame than reading.
This is the accepted wisdom, both by market observations and psychologists. Men are far more aroused by visuals, whereas women moreso by ideas and situations. Hence men tending be more attracted to videos, and women to smutty stories.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Bardeh posted:

I've had a great couple of days after a predictably slow 25th.

I had a fantastic 26th and 27th, and now sales are back to normal. At least it made up for the week before Xmas being a wasteland.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Kindlemas you ask?

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

Has the top 100 romance / new adult list always been based on something other than pure rank? My one book is ranked 533 in the whole store, but 49 on the new adult list. My other book is 475 in the whole store, but 55 on the new adult list. Is this new or have I just never noticed or is Amazon being weird?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

brotherly posted:

Has the top 100 romance / new adult list always been based on something other than pure rank? My one book is ranked 533 in the whole store, but 49 on the new adult list. My other book is 475 in the whole store, but 55 on the new adult list. Is this new or have I just never noticed or is Amazon being weird?

Your book that you think is ranked 533 is actually ranked 437, there's a disparity between the mobile and desktop versions of amazon.com

e: 6 minutes later and both are now correct, but I saw it in its dual state when I posted

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 29, 2015

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

brotherly posted:

So it looks like your book that was at 1,500 the other day surged up to 437...which I realize is still a flop compared to where your last book was. Do you think the also boughts just started doing work later or what? Is there any chance of the book going now from like ~450 to ~50?

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

angel opportunity posted:

So it looks like your book that was at 1,500 the other day surged up to 437...which I realize is still a flop compared to where your last book was. Do you think the also boughts just started doing work later or what? Is there any chance of the book going now from like ~450 to ~50?

Honestly, I think I sorta panicked yesterday. Since I'm on the verge of going full time, I'm super anxious about how the next few books are going to do. But I would guess also-boughts kicked in. I don't see why the rank wouldn't keep dropping over the next few days, but you really never know. If I'm lucky, I'll crack the top 100... we'll see!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Today is the best day Ive had in a looooooooooooooooooong time. Thanks to my free book, yo.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Today is the best day Ive had in a looooooooooooooooooong time. Thanks to my free book, yo.

:hfive: Same. Except on BN.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well since everyone's posting their dicks

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I just did an erotica short for fun where I changed the Rifleman's Creed to be about a guy named "Benedict Bloodcock's" giant dick shooting sperm...it's too bad we can't discuss content itt

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I just did an erotica short for fun where I changed the Rifleman's Creed to be about a guy named "Benedict Bloodcock's" giant dick shooting sperm...it's too bad we can't discuss content itt

Sounds pretty awful to be honest.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Aren't you supposed to see a doctor if your erection spurts blood for more than four hours, or am I confusing my drug warnings?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Yo 2016 is gonna be a p fly year for self publishing

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

EngineerSean posted:

Yo 2016 is gonna be a p fly year for self publishing

I'm hoping so too, I've got some big plans to try and up my sales counts, which should be a little easier now that I'm on meds (for my heds).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Congrats on the plans and on getting better. I hope to be on the receiving end of a similar post soon :(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Better" comes later, I'm not even a month in yet and it takes at least eight weeks for the positive effects to start presenting themselves. But just knowing that I've got something for it now is a good thing.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Who else said they were going to write 1,000,000+ in 2016?

Ha...haha....ha... :suicide:

Fuego Fish posted:

"Better" comes later, I'm not even a month in yet and it takes at least eight weeks for the positive effects to start presenting themselves. But just knowing that I've got something for it now is a good thing.

Good luck with your recovery. I'm on the tail end of a medication journey. It gets better, but it can be a slow process for some people.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

Kindlemas you ask?

Indeed, Kindlemas!

Not as good a performance as I'd hoped for (nothing ever is -- I am my own worst enemy after all), but I'll certainly take $400+ a day in borrows from a reprint.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This will have to be a good year for me. It feels like if I can't do it this year, I won't be able to do it at all.

I'm getting a novella out every month, and unless/until my romance income explodes, I'm going to try to knock out one erotica short every month. The main reason for that is I realized my erotica back catalog is making ~$400/month and I haven't published anything new since August. I know that number isn't great, but we're talking like 18 shorts and one bundle.

I also have close to enough published to release another 10-book bundle. I'm releasing a short on Friday and monitoring how much it earns alone, and also how much it boosts the back catalog income for the 30 days after release. Depending on how much it pulls in, I may just keep doing a short every month or so, provided it doesn't slow down my romance at all.

My latest romance release did very well as far as reviews go, but not so amazing as far as money goes.

I have romance book three totally finished and ready to go, but I'm deciding to wait until January 22nd to release it. I want to give the ARC reviewers PLENTY of time. I rushed it too much on book 2, and I think that hurt the release quite a bit.

I see people on the subreddit (and by the way, the eroticawriters subreddit is like the biggest pit of "what not to do" advice I've ever seen) launching romance novels that are just complete failures compared to mine, and they're happy about it. They then somehow pull in like $4,000/month by writing a lot of romance novels that basically bomb. I think and hope that means that I'm right on the cusp of doing really well. I'm making sure my books keep improving on all fronts with each release, and hopefully one will--sooner or later--penetrate the ranks that really make big money.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This will have to be a good year for me. It feels like if I can't do it this year, I won't be able to do it at all.

I'm getting a novella out every month, and unless/until my romance income explodes, I'm going to try to knock out one erotica short every month. The main reason for that is I realized my erotica back catalog is making ~$400/month and I haven't published anything new since August. I know that number isn't great, but we're talking like 18 shorts and one bundle.

I also have close to enough published to release another 10-book bundle. I'm releasing a short on Friday and monitoring how much it earns alone, and also how much it boosts the back catalog income for the 30 days after release. Depending on how much it pulls in, I may just keep doing a short every month or so, provided it doesn't slow down my romance at all.

My latest romance release did very well as far as reviews go, but not so amazing as far as money goes.

I have romance book three totally finished and ready to go, but I'm deciding to wait until January 22nd to release it. I want to give the ARC reviewers PLENTY of time. I rushed it too much on book 2, and I think that hurt the release quite a bit.

I see people on the subreddit (and by the way, the eroticawriters subreddit is like the biggest pit of "what not to do" advice I've ever seen) launching romance novels that are just complete failures compared to mine, and they're happy about it. They then somehow pull in like $4,000/month by writing a lot of romance novels that basically bomb. I think and hope that means that I'm right on the cusp of doing really well. I'm making sure my books keep improving on all fronts with each release, and hopefully one will--sooner or later--penetrate the ranks that really make big money.

This is true. However there is a private Reddit thread (several in fact, though I'm only in one at the Moment) that deals with the romance side of things that has great advice. (A lot of the same advice that's here btw).

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Did anybody else get a weird paper check from Amazon today? I got one for a couple hundred bucks along with an invoice that lists a bunch of random months in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Was I underpaid or something?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I didn't, is there anything weird on your payments tab? Direct deposits that didn't go through or anything?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Popular Human posted:

Did anybody else get a weird paper check from Amazon today? I got one for a couple hundred bucks along with an invoice that lists a bunch of random months in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Was I underpaid or something?

They seem to do this at the end of the year if you have some odd amounts kicking around in various currencies that didn't meet the payout threshold. Some kind of accounting thing, I guess. Last year I got an end of year check crediting small amounts from, like, Japan and Brazil and Mexico.

That it's from multiple years seems weird, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

and by the way, the eroticawriters subreddit is like the biggest pit of "what not to do" advice I've ever seen
There was a stickied thread in there a few months ago calling out the frequent posters for giving deliberately bad advice to newbies. It suspiciously disappeared, so caveat emptor etc etc.