Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TigerBomb
Sep 25, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if there are any coders, deep in the bowels of their development prison, working on such systems - of if it's all hands on deck to get SQ42 out the door this year at any cost, and at any quality level.

Coding systems to work with each other would require a detailed design document. Have we seen anything like that so far in their open development? (Honest question)

With the complexity they are touting you'd expect something 3 times as thick as that bloody SQ42 script Roberts was hauling around.

Or they could just be cowboying everything up and making on the fly decisions which is awesome when it comes to developing a complex system/platform/game.

Wonder what their documentation, development methodology, QA rigidity and gating mechanisms are? At this point I'd be flat out amazed if they had source control with branches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

It seems like the only people doing any actual work are the guys in the UK, and they are focused on shipping a single player military movie-game. Austin was kind of the MMO shop and they blew that place away. I sincerely doubt there's anyone working on the MMO at this point, and any systems we get for it in the next year are going to be tacked-on and mostly just DB transactions through a screen. "Exploration" will just be hitting a button and seeing some numbers shuffle around (and maybe getting an instance of some rocks generated). "Mining" will be pointing a laser at a rock and seeing some numbers shuffle around. You get the idea.

Yeah I think i get it - kinda like in Borderlands - when you finish the main goal, nothing is stopping you from wandering around the map. Invite some friends and you have the Best drat Wasteland Simulator Ever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

But what the gently caress do I know, I'm just some random rear end in a top hat who thinks what they're doing is dumb.

You've put a lot more thought into it than they have. But you also keep making assumptions based on things they've said they will do and I don't know why you do that. Nothing they're putting out indicates that they even remember the promises they made about the economy way back in the dark ages of 2 years ago.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Reddit owns because everyone there agrees on everything

Well

Everyone important

If you disagree your opinion is hidden

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TigerBomb posted:

Coding systems to work with each other would require a detailed design document. Have we seen anything like that so far in their open development? (Honest question)

No documentation, but their site features plenty of Photoshopped masturbatory wishful thinking, passed off as "what we're putting in the game."

Check out their rockstar repair mechanics page - none of which exists in the game as shown: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance

Now, taken at face value, that looks loving awesome. But anyone in the world could have put that page together. It doesn't mean they made a game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FrankieGoes posted:

Yeah but then all their sperging about "PCs are only 5% of the economy" doesn't really work. If there are 19 NPCs selling item X for every one PC selling item X then it doesn't really make a difference whether you can sell to players or not, no one is going to buy for more than what NPCs sell for and no one is going to sell for less than what NPCs will pay.

And that logic and argument completely goes out the window when you're talking about things like rare/legendary type loot, among other things. Which brings back in the P2W question which shitizens say isn't the case. All that rare loot and high end OCd poo poo is absolutely all going to be owned by the people that paid out the rear end for tons of ships and are whipping out their credit card to buy UEC on a weekly basis. This type of stuff makes me think CIG has stated numerous things about their plans for the economy that, barring a hell of a lot of further explanation, are completely contradictory.

And where does the traveling store even get set up? Out in the middle of nowhere? Seems like travel is quick enough that there really is no "middle of nowhere" and you'll probably never be more than 5 or 10 minutes from some spaceport. And if you can set up your space bazaar out in the middle of nowhere and charge people out the rear end for stuff, how does that jibe with the "you can only have a minor influence on the economy because of the 80 trillion NPCs we're simulating"? If you and a couple other people are the only ones selling stuff in an area, then you're (collectively) 100% of the economy for that area.

I just haven't seen any explanations of any of this poo poo that make any sense of all of it. I look at the 12,000 post economy thread at RSI and it's just a bunch of sperglords writing fanfiction based on a 30 second blurb Crobbits said in a fever dream he had on a livestream 3 years ago.

They basically have to screw the backers. $1-2 an hour is a typical time vs. dollar amount for an MMO. With CIGs $250 connie = 2 or 3x as expensive once the game goes live = $500-$750 but earnable in 40-60 hours = $8 - $20 an hour. Which means paying $50 for UEC in game only allowed you to avoid 2.5 to 6 hours of grinding. Which means practically no one will buy UEC from CIG. And with free for all trading (even if heavily taxed) chinese gold farmers could undercut CIG by 50% and still make two to five times the hourly rate they make on other games.

I just don't think any of this poo poo makes any sense. I've been playing poo poo like this since MUDs and those games they had on AOL and Sierra Online and I've always spent a lot of time gaming the economy via trading/crafting/etc and the stuff CIG has proposed, when you try and take it all in and imagine how it will work as a whole, seems like literally the worst designed economic system that has ever been conceived for an online game.

You're right, it's all bullshit and either we're missing something major or CIG is hosed. You're also right that the "NPCs rule the galaxy" thing is meaningless when it comes to the player economy since NPCs are inherently rational actors and PCs are not. There will be a meta and certain ships and weapons will be the most desirable, and at some point there is a price which NPCs simply won't pay but players will. If the Mk XVII Mass Driver is the best loving gun in the game then players will perform whatever shenanigans they can to capture the market and jack up the prices. NPCs won't care, they'll just buy the Ordnance Arms Frag Thrower instead. At that point it does entirely become a question of who has the most cash.

Of course CIG's approach for monetization is hosed too. They've said there will be caps to prevent inflation or influence. The problem is that CIG has a fiscal incentive to make UEC sales as appealing as possible, and that goes directly against capping your UEC amount. If the cap is low enough to significantly impact inflation then it's likely too low for anyone to use it because you can't buy anything worth a poo poo with what you get. And we all know precisely how well CIG performs when there's a conflict of interest between credibility and profit. LTI anyone?

Sarsapariller posted:

My better guess is that they will at some point implement buying and selling, probably from a console, and the poo poo will automatically be deposited in your "inventory." If you're really lucky you might see some visual representation in the cargo hold but probably not. Things will have a largely static value which can be manipulated slightly up and down through oversupply, but really you won't have any lasting impact on economies because that would be hard and open to exploitation. The quickest exploit will be a teleport hack between stations, the second quickest will be some form of bot supply chain. Hyperinflation in the player economy will be rampant and people will basically not be able to afford anything unless they buy it through the cash store because botters will be throwing millions of UEC around. CIG will say "What an amazing alpha version of the economy we have for you!" Fans will proclaim it to be the best thing ever made.

This is my guess because it is the system from Freelancer, coupled with the same thing that happens to every MMO that doesn't work to avoid it. There's nothing to indicate that they have the will to do more than that, or that they have the experience to protect it from inevitable exploitation as soon as there's some minor reason to do so.

Yeah, given how well CIG has handled everything else I see no reason to expect them to get the economy stable and functional.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I want to beat off some pirates :wiggle:

Why dream small? If we're lucky we may have the chance to beat off Gary Oldman or Luke Skywalker or a guy from LOTR.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

You've put a lot more thought into it than they have. But you also keep making assumptions based on things they've said they will do and I don't know why you do that. Nothing they're putting out indicates that they even remember the promises they made about the economy way back in the dark ages of 2 years ago.

I do it because it's fun to show how hosed things are even if they do what they say they'll do.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

No documentation, but their site features plenty of Photoshopped masturbatory wishful thinking, passed off as "what we're putting in the game."

Check out their rockstar repair mechanics page - none of which exists in the game as shown: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance

Now, taken at face value, that looks loving awesome. But anyone in the world could have put that page together. It doesn't mean they made a game.

To add to that- the repair mechanic in-game is that you land on a platform and two little drones come out and shoot your ship with lasers and then it is at full health. That's it and that will probably be all it ever is.

TigerBomb
Sep 25, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Thanks Scruff!

Ouch, reading that page makes my coding brain hurt. Definitely not design documents, they read much more like user documentation for promoting the game, not laying out a solid foundation. If they think they're going to gradually roll out features then they're in for a nasty shock.

But surely some of their devoted fans are coders? How can any of them ignore so many red flags just on the development and release side of this?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

They're only just now starting to think about how Jump Points are going to work, do you think they actually spent any time on economy stuff yet? :v:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

To add to that- the repair mechanic in-game is that you land on a platform and two little drones come out and shoot your ship with lasers and then it is at full health. That's it and that will probably be all it ever is.

You know, all they had to do was give people the option to be a mechanic, like in Battlefield, let them run up to your ship and fire the lasers themselves, and legions of players would do just that, and ONLY that. It would at least be something.

Back in the days of the original Tribes, I was all about the repair pack. I had just the best time repairing base guns and generators etc. So few people bothered, so it was awesome when people thought they had the place on lockdown, were running for the flag, and suddenly all the base defenses would come online and level every last one of them. I didn't get kill credit for that, but it was awesome nonetheless.

drat I miss that game.

TigerBomb
Sep 25, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

You know, all they had to do was give people the option to be a mechanic, like in Battlefield, let them run up to your ship and fire the lasers themselves, and legions of players would do just that, and ONLY that. It would at least be something.

Back in the days of the original Tribes, I was all about the repair pack. I had just the best time repairing base guns and generators etc. So few people bothered, so it was awesome when people thought they had the place on lockdown, were running for the flag, and suddenly all the guns would blaze to life and level every last one of them. I didn't get kill credit for that, but it was awesome nonetheless.

drat I miss that game.

That would be the smart option: I loved playing repair guru in Tribes as well, and Medic in TF2. There's always a niche for it in games if it is properly balanced.

Side note: Borderlands Pre-sequel was done by a team associated with Tribes/Tribes Vengeance, and the low-grav jumps + OZ kit effects felt like a very nice throwback to that. Check it out if you haven't.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Here, let me just compare and contrast design documents and reality for more-or-less everything they've actually implemented. Perhaps we will see a pattern start to emerge.

Ship Components- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12936-Engineering-Ship-Components-Systems
Ship Components- Reality: You can drag-and-drop some guns and shields onto your ship in a confusing menu where half the time things don't work right. They may or may not appear in-game. No other components do anything.

Shields- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14489-Shields-Management
Shields- Reality: You can kind of move power around but really nobody ever does that because ships are so flippy-spinny that you are unlikely to get shot from the same direction twice. Shields on big ships take 5+ minutes to charge.

Repair- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance
Repair- Reality: Land on a platform and a drone fixes your ship automatically in seconds.

Medical stuff- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14318-Healing-Your-Spacemen
Medical Stuff- Reality: You can grab a health pack in certain stations and then press a button to make your health number go up.

FPS Stances- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-FPS-Stances-Breathing
FPS Stances- Reality: You can crouch or lie down because those are pretty much default cryengine poses.

Rental Credits- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14502-Rental-Equipment-Credits
Rental Credits- Reality: You have to complete a game of Arena Commander to even earn any REC and that's a 40+ minute endeavor, assuming good copilots and your game doesn't crash. At the end of it you will get maybe 1500 REC. You need 15,000 to rent a ship. Good loving luck. (Also you can't do any ship rental in-game, it's all through the website)

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 3, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Did this come up?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4l8v/star_citizen_and_squadron_42_will_be_separated/

[–]IAmYoshHigh Admiral[S] 4 points 17 days ago
I'll copy this here too:
I'm mobile right now so I can't get the relevant sources, but basically the scope of the game has evolved, and as such now both parts have increased in scope to be essentially two full AAA level games. Early backers have already gotten both games, so it not being in the original pitch is not really relevant.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lowtax posted:

You know who else didn't spend a dime on spaceship jpgs and didn't support the development of Star Citizen???

That's right

Hitler

Stop trying to humanise Hitler and assigning him redeeming features, you monster.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

This is all very depressing. Help us Derek - you're our only hope.

http://i.imgur.com/o7uSOan.gifv

LOL!! That's outstanding!!

Anyway, holidays are over. Tomorrow, the war resumes anew. Lots of new material.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh also I'm apparently somehow akin to correcting people about Hitler

Which is a funny analogy, because in a thread discussing the holocaust I would imagine that since its history discussion correcting any misinformation would be a good thing.

Don't worry, I got your back.

Doesn't need to be said, but this is 100% true. It's a chilling loving sight to say the least. There are some things I just don't joke about.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm the loud gunshots in the vacuum of space.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

WTF is wrong with the aim down sights?

First guess: it's designed by someone who has never fired, and probably not even seen, a firearm in their entire life.

There will be no second guess because this one pretty much always applies and is invariably correct.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think a Javelin will go for 25 million UEC before it goes for 2.5. I absolutely think that CIG hosed themselves royally with their UEC sales and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to perform some kind of massive correction. Backers are already pissed at them locking the purchases down and preventing melting, as if someone buying a Omnisky VI instead of a mass driver is somehow going to matter one bit relative to people melting starships.

If I were CIG I would bite the bullet and make the change right now. Stop all UEC sales, melt every purchased weapon/components/whatever back to UEC, credit all accounts with an amount equivalent to whatever amount of UEC was purchased (and offer refunds to those who want it), and then give every backer a monthly stipend of REC equivalent to whatever amount of UEC they have plus the UEC value of their packages. I would then put every cosmetic item from the VD store into the main store. You want a poster? Great spend $1 and get it to your hangar. Yes you can melt it whenever you want. You want that weird space lobster thing? Awesome, $1. Everything else would be covered by REC. As an example I currently have 20,000 UEC in my wallet, bought 20,000 UEC a long time ago (go ahead and laugh I was retarded), UEC items worth 44,000 and packages with 21,000 UEC in them. So in my solution $20 would get credited back to my account, my wallet would contain 44,000 UEC, and every month I would get 65,000 REC to gently caress around with. Magically I no longer give a poo poo about UEC while CIG figures out WTF to do because I'm not locked into anything, the gameplay related stuff is all purchased with face spacebux, and the only thing I can buy now are cosmetic things like fish and posters.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that CIG has the ship economy hosed as well, mostly because with the exception of the Scythe, Glaive, Idris, 890, and Javelin nothing is really limited. So it may very well be that once the game goes live everyone and their mother will have melted down their packages to fly Super Hornets or whatever the gently caress the meta says is the best and now balance is hosed. Since the insurance mechanic supposedly requires new ships to actually be built before they can replaced that's going to really suck when hundreds of thousands of spergs have LTI on the Aegis Rapetrain but only thirty of them are made every month. I wonder how well backers will handle their insurance adjuster saying "your ship is number 154,923 in the queue, with a delivery scheduled for between seventeen and twenty years from now". Instead CIG should take advantage of their store software and actually make limited ships limited. This is not rocket science.

If the Super Hornet is designed so that for every million pilots only ten thousand are available, then the number of available Super Hornets should be N/100 where N is the number of game accounts. The most ubiquitous ships would likely have very generous amounts that would effectively be unlimited, but the rare stuff would actually be rare again. Make it so that limited ships can only be melted (not gifted) and then give each ship a queue. You want a Banu Merchantman? Well there's 374 people ahead of you but more backers are being added every day and you never know when one gets melted. Give backers the option to pre-pay or have 24 hours to purchase the ship once their token is reached.

But what the gently caress do I know, I'm just some random rear end in a top hat who thinks what they're doing is dumb.

In that excellent write-up, you missed one simple thing in the equation: NONE of the above is going to MAKE them MONEY. So they won't do it. Such a correction is the last thing they want atm because not only will it completely and utterly gently caress the whales and those retarded fucks who thought they were special, it will also generate a shitstorm. Anyway, since the game is never coming out, they don't have to do anything at all. And they won't.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i'm the immersive animation stepping where it says NO STEP on the spaceplane

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Berious posted:

I just remembered Red Baron and sure enough it's 1990 with a dynamic campaign and career mode. It was a sim too but there was no clicking a million buttons to program your radar poo poo. Just energy management and shoot mans. Wikipedia says it had multiplayer too. Now that's a game that was ahead of it's time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_%281990_video_game%29

I wish someone would make another cool WWI flightsim. Biplanes are much cooler than monoplanes and modern aircraft just suck for pick up and play fun.

There is one called Rise of Flight http://store.steampowered.com/app/244050/

Between that and Warthunder, flight sims are getting pretty good these days.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Should I even try getting my money back? Or is it a lost cause?

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Anyway, holidays are over. Tomorrow, the war resumes anew. Lots of new material.

Oh thank god I was afraid you had come to your senses and the comedy was over.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toops posted:

Don't worry, I got your back.

Doesn't need to be said, but this is 100% true. It's a chilling loving sight to say the least. There are some things I just don't joke about.

I'm willing to bet they don't care about that though.

Also this happened.

quote:

So what you're saying is star citizen has fps, alians, eva, racing (you can have playerheld "races" in literally any game with locomotion) and planetary landing but EVE doesn't. However, EVE has everything else that star cititzen does. But you say all of this in an unnecessarily roundabout fashion. Cool.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying when I point out a claim saying EVE didn't have a laundry list of mechanics actually did with evidence.

They really love to make their own claims and pass them off as fact, it's amazing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

vandalism posted:

Do it on general principle.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
has terraforming been discussed for this game because I could easily pay $1500 for a genesis missile

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

has terraforming been discussed for this game because I could easily pay $1500 for a genesis missile

You obviously mean Temblor Bomb, since that's a unique and revolutionary new idea that Christ Roberts had for Wing Commander III.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

:dance:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Citizenship is earned by buying both games and sitting through 15 hours of Sandi's acting

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

vandalism posted:

do it and post about it imo.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Tippis posted:

You obviously mean Temblor Bomb, since that's a unique and revolutionary new idea that Christ Roberts had for Wing Commander III.

oh man what wont this guy rip off

arent the kilwrathi basically klingons that go meow and talk about honor

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Last I looked at an SC thread it was full of air horns and CR raised 50m.

The gently caress did you guys do?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh man what wont this guy rip off

arent the kilwrathi basically klingons that go meow and talk about honor

No, they're literally K'zin. Maybe with slightly bigger heads than what Niven envisioned, at least if the WC3 FMVs are considered canon.

Only steal from the best and all that…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TigerBomb posted:

That would be the smart option: I loved playing repair guru in Tribes as well, and Medic in TF2. There's always a niche for it in games if it is properly balanced.

Side note: Borderlands Pre-sequel was done by a team associated with Tribes/Tribes Vengeance, and the low-grav jumps + OZ kit effects felt like a very nice throwback to that. Check it out if you haven't.

Thanks! I will absolutely check that out.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sarsapariller posted:

Here, let me just compare and contrast design documents and reality for more-or-less everything they've actually implemented. Perhaps we will see a pattern start to emerge.

Ship Components- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12936-Engineering-Ship-Components-Systems
Ship Components- Reality: You can drag-and-drop some guns and shields onto your ship in a confusing menu where half the time things don't work right. They may or may not appear in-game. No other components do anything.

Shields- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14489-Shields-Management
Shields- Reality: You can kind of move power around but really nobody ever does that because ships are so flippy-spinny that you are unlikely to get shot from the same direction twice. Shields on big ships take 5+ minutes to charge.

Repair- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance
Repair- Reality: Land on a platform and a drone fixes your ship automatically in seconds.

Medical stuff- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14318-Healing-Your-Spacemen
Medical Stuff- Reality: You can grab a health pack in certain stations and then press a button to make your health number go up.

FPS Stances- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-FPS-Stances-Breathing
FPS Stances- Reality: You can crouch or lie down because those are pretty much default cryengine poses.

Rental Credits- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14502-Rental-Equipment-Credits
Rental Credits- Reality: You have to complete a game of Arena Commander to even earn any REC and that's a 40+ minute endeavor, assuming good copilots and your game doesn't crash. At the end of it you will get maybe 1500 REC. You need 15,000 to rent a ship. Good loving luck. (Also you can't do any ship rental in-game, it's all through the website)

I can't help but look at these documents and think they are intentionally made to scam people out of money. Nobody in the industry can look at these and think they are remotely realistic. They seem specifically designed to persuade gullible people into thinking a game is more immersive than it could ever hope to be.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Berious posted:

I wish someone would make another cool WWI flightsim. Biplanes are much cooler than monoplanes and modern aircraft just suck for pick up and play fun.

So Rise of Flight?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

BeefThief posted:

Citizenship is earned by buying both games and sitting through 15 hours of Sandi's acting

Not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I can't help but look at these documents and think they are intentionally made to scam people out of money. Nobody in the industry can look at these and think they are remotely realistic. They seem specifically designed to persuade gullible people into thinking a game is more immersive than it could ever hope to be.
Well I certainly don't want to lay the blame on gamers, but they have accepted more and more grind as a natural part of any new game process. MMOs are mostly to blame, since they have entire economies based around other people playing your game for you so you don't have to spend your time grinding. I mean think about that concept; you are paying money for a game, which is supposed to be fun, and then you're paying somebody else to play it for you because it is not fun.

Gamers in general have grown to not only accept this, but to a certain extent, embrace it, and I find that utterly bizarre.

• Locked thread